Columbia ED: Withdrawing Applications?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
marlis

Columbia ED: Withdrawing Applications?

Postby marlis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 am

Hey guys,

How do we go about withdrawing applications/declining admits after being accepted ED? Phone call, email, signed letter? Is there a specified time frame we must do this within for Columbia?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

canuck

Re: Columbia ED: Withdrawing Applications?

Postby canuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:53 am

marlis wrote:Hey guys,

How do we go about withdrawing applications/declining admits after being accepted ED? Phone call, email, signed letter? Is there a specified time frame we must do this within for Columbia?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

I just sent a BCC email to all schools asking to withdraw and thanking them for consideration. They have all responded positively thus far.

BTW: Congrats! Should we start a Facebook group or something to start connecting?
Last edited by canuck on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlis

Postby marlis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks!! Just to the admissions email addresses?

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:55 am

marlis wrote:Thanks!! Just to the admissions email addresses?

Yes

marlis

Postby marlis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Super. I heard UPenn requires a written letter to be mailed??
This process is kind of scary. Here's to hoping that Columbia didn't screw up and send me an acceptance PDF email by mistake. In that case I'd now be forced to take a mandatory year off....

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:48 pm

marlis wrote:Super. I heard UPenn requires a written letter to be mailed??
This process is kind of scary. Here's to hoping that Columbia didn't screw up and send me an acceptance PDF email by mistake. In that case I'd now be forced to take a mandatory year off....

Haha I had the same feelings. I really didn't expect to get in so I keep expecting myself to wake up.

marlis

Postby marlis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Same. I'm pretty sure I'm still in dream mode.

I assume you're Canadian from your username and your obvious Senators pride. I am as well. On a completely different note, have you looked into loans/scholly's etc, as we are not eligible for federal aid? Do we have an idea how generous Columbia is with financial aid/grants for ED acceptances?? Considering they don't need to 'sway' us to attend with a monetary carrot...

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 pm

someone should create an "in at columbia" thread in the class of 2014 board? :lol:

i don't think i'm gonna withdraw until i receive a physical package in the mail. just to be safe.

as for financial aid for ED acceptances...i scoured a lot of post threads for this when I was deciding whether to apply ED. they'll probably throw a cursory 30-40k package, which is probably the same as what you'd get even if you applied RD. merit aid only applies to half and full scholarships, so anything below 75k would qualify as solely need-based. i suppose with RD there's the possibility of leveraging, but I don't really remember if that makes much of a difference with Columbia.

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:07 pm

beleaguer wrote:someone should create an "in at columbia" thread in the class of 2014 board? :lol:

i don't think i'm gonna withdraw until i receive a physical package in the mail. just to be safe.

as for financial aid for ED acceptances...i scoured a lot of post threads for this when I was deciding whether to apply ED. they'll probably throw a cursory 30-40k package, which is probably the same as what you'd get even if you applied RD. merit aid only applies to half and full scholarships, so anything below 75k would qualify as solely need-based. i suppose with RD there's the possibility of leveraging, but I don't really remember if that makes much of a difference with Columbia.

I nominate you to create the thread. I will happily participate.
Did you read your letter? It says to withdraw immediately or your offer could be revoked. It also says you'll get a package in Febuary, so I'd go ahead and withdraw now.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm

oh..they don't send an actual letter in the mail?? that's what i meant.

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 pm

beleaguer wrote:oh..they don't send an actual letter in the mail?? that's what i meant.

I don't think so. It says "by email only" at the top of the PDF.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:17 pm

oh... :lol: :lol: :lol:

you got me, i was entirely half asleep when i read this pdf. i'm convinced; i'll withdraw immediately as instructed.

edit: and therefore unworthy to create the thread? :lol:

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:22 pm

We got snail mail letters after out emails last year. The emails were were scanned copies of the snail mail letters. Withdrawing from other schools is typically done by email. UPenn has some form on their site you have to fill out, and I think (not totally sure though) that Harvard wanted a written notification.

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 pm

ooh I was expecting a physical package too.. thought "by email only" meant .. like that version was only for emails? idk guess I wasn't thinking...

from the columbia ED thread I thought you were supposed to get a "vomit colored envelope" but perhaps that is the one you get in Feb...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138827
Last edited by kiniru on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm

same, that confused me too. perhaps obsessively perusing old threads wasn't the best idea :D

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

kiniru wrote:ooh I was expecting a physical package to.. thought "by email only" meant .. like that version was only for emails? idk guess I wasn't thinking...

from the columbia ED thread I thought you were supposed to get a "vomit colored envelope" but perhaps that is the one you get in Feb...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138827

Sorry if I misled you guys. Anyways we're in. Just withdraw and relax. I hope they send vomit packages though. Call me old-school, but I think it has a little more significance to it.

marlis

Postby marlis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Columbia Law Class of 2014 topic created!!!! Check it outtttttt.........

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”