"Further consideration at a later date..." Means Waitlisted?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TOMaHULK

"Further consideration at a later date..." Means Waitlisted?

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Just checked my status online at one of my schools (school now important), and it says status "Further consideration at a later date."

This means Waitlisted I assume...?

If so, do most people generally get denied from being waitlisted?

Thanks for any comments.

Gemini

Re: "Further consideration at a later date..." Means Waitlisted?

Postby Gemini » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:36 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Just checked my status online at one of my schools (school now important), and it says status "Further consideration at a later date."

Thanks for any comments.

I'm pretty sure you've just been deferred. Which to me, is pretty much a waitlist. Send them a LOCI.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:39 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Just checked my status online at one of my schools (school now important), and it says status "Further consideration at a later date."

Thanks for any comments.

I'm pretty sure you've just been deferred. Which to me, is pretty much a waitlist. Send them a LOCI.

Sorry, what's a LOCI? Kindda new to the lingo. Thanks in advance.

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Thanks for any comments.

Letter of Continued Interest

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Dwigt wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Thanks for any comments.

Letter of Continued Interest

I appreciate your help. I'm assuming there are examples on here, so I'm off to search for those... :?

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:57 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I appreciate your help. I'm assuming there are examples on here, so I'm off to search for those... :?

Start here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169&hilit=loci+example

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:01 pm

It depends on the strength of your numbers to that particular school. If you are above both medians and should be in, then maybe they are deferring you because they are not convinced you would attend for real. So send them a LOCI to show that you are genuinely interested. If you are borderline then I would also confess your love for the school just knowing that your chances are not good since they decided to hold you over to compare you to the rest of the pool later on - because you are not strong enough to get admitted right now.

People are sending more applications out year after year, so schools are probably just more careful about handing out decisions.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Yeah, I just prepared a LOCI and I'm senting out today. Couldn't hurt and I read that it's best to sent out ASAP after being waitlisted, etc. Eventhough I haven't received official word of this, I can only assume based upon the "further consideration" comment. Thanks for advice.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:14 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Yeah, I just prepared a LOCI and I'm senting out today. Couldn't hurt and I read that it's best to sent out ASAP after being waitlisted, etc. Eventhough I haven't received official word of this, I can only assume based upon the "further consideration" comment. Thanks for advice.

You just did it? Why not sit on it for 24 hours? Gather your thoughts some more. Leave it, and come back and re-read it tomorrow.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Yeah, I just prepared a LOCI and I'm senting out today. Couldn't hurt and I read that it's best to sent out ASAP after being waitlisted, etc. Eventhough I haven't received official word of this, I can only assume based upon the "further consideration" comment. Thanks for advice.

You just did it? Why not sit on it for 24 hours? Gather your thoughts some more. Leave it, and come back and re-read it tomorrow.

I read tips on these on the TLS home page. It suggested sending out ASAP, and states they really can't hurt matters. Why sit on it? It's pretty to the point to just say "hey, I want to go there...". Plus, let's be honest, they probably don't read them thoroughly anyways, probably just toss them in the applicants file.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:14 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:

I read tips on these on the TLS home page. It suggested sending out ASAP, and states they really can't hurt matters. Why sit on it? It's pretty to the point to just say "hey, I want to go there...". Plus, let's be honest, they probably don't read them thoroughly anyways, probably just toss them in the applicants file.

I mean I guess. Maybe I'm the only one that's just really picky about my writing :lol:

I do that with everything, even papers for school. I always let it sit and go back and read it with a fresh mind, at least for a day. Sometimes longer if there's time.

Either way, good luck to you!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:19 pm

No Magnifique, I agree with you.

A LOCI can also make or break you. It's your final chance (usually) to show the committee your vocab skills, your passion, your excitement for that particular school.

It usually takes a bit of time to develop a well written, concise, and well thought out LOCI.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:No Magnifique, I agree with you.

A LOCI can also make or break you. It's your final chance (usually) to show the committee your vocab skills, your passion, your excitement for that particular school.

It usually takes a bit of time to develop a well written, concise, and well thought out LOCI.

Exactly. Especially since he just found out what an LOCI was a few hours ago. I just thought it might be helpful to spend a bit more time on it.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 pm

I don't disagree with the above 3 statements. I've just come to realize that for me personally, I tend to dwell/overthink too often. Therefore, I'm more opt to take quick action. Either way, it's already on it's way so here's to hoping for the best. :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”