FREAKING OUT - please help!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
canuck

FREAKING OUT - please help!

Postby canuck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:56 pm

K so I just found these threads and it seems acceptances are going out to a lot of people already. I am losing it right now because I haven't heard a single word. I applied to most places in September, but took the October LSAT so I mostly went complete at the beginning of November. I am really concerned about Michigan, Cornell, Duke, GULC. I really really really want Michigan and I thought I'd be right up their alley (3.9X, 167/170), but people are getting accepted and I AM NOT.
Should I be this concerned? Am I headed for the waitlist?

Thanks for your help!

OGR3

Re: FREAKING OUT - please help!

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:00 pm

You need to calm down for 3 reasons.

1. Your stats should give you a VERY good shot at Michigan, most likely with money.
2. It's not even December, most decisions don't go out until much later in the cycle.
3. Stress is your #1 enemy in law school. Don't give in to it.

Enjoy Michigan.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Plus, if you don't get UMich, there is always money at UVA with your GPA.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:03 pm

If that is a foreign GPA it doesn't help them or you so I would not assume $.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Plus, if you don't get UMich, there is always money at UVA with your GPA.

UVA RD is an elaborate flame

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:04 pm

OGR3 wrote:You need to calm down for 3 reasons.

1. Your stats should give you a VERY good shot at Michigan, most likely with money.
2. It's not even December, most decisions don't go out until much later in the cycle.

Enjoy Michigan.

That and: Applications are reviewed on the basis of completion, not submission. So you're application has really only been considered with the November complete applications, and a lot of decisions have gone out to people who went complete earlier.

Second of all, calm down, what do you want? Either your numbers are good enough, in which case you will get in, or they're not, and you won't get in. It's still far too early to tell.. There's no use freaking out just because you weren't one of the first few to get accepted to a school...

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Knock wrote:
OGR3 wrote:You need to calm down for 3 reasons.

Enjoy Michigan.

That and: Applications are reviewed on the basis of completion, not submission. So you're application has really only been considered with the November complete applications, and a lot of decisions have gone out to people who went complete earlier.

Second of all, calm down, what do you want? Either your numbers are good enough, in which case you will get in, or they're not, and you won't get in. It's still far too early to tell.. There's no use freaking out just because you weren't one of the first few to get accepted to a school...

lol

Rgaliana

Postby Rgaliana » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:09 pm

It's really important to remember that the law school admissions process is very, very mysterious. People formulate rumors about it all the time, and it may not ever follow a logical pattern. For example, schools don't always follow a chronological pattern of giving out decisions to applicants based upon when they applied. Schools can put your application aside for thousands of reasons: maybe they want to wait on your application, maybe they want to wait for more applications from your region before taking you, they want to compare you to other applicants later in the cycle, etc etc etc. Who knows. These admissions offices are like businesses in a lot of respects. Instead of maximizing profit, their goal is to maximize a class of ideal 1L's for their school.

Best of luck at Michigan when you get in!

mths

Postby mths » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:14 pm

You should learn to control your stress levels a bit better before actually getting to law school.

Postby 12262010 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:16 pm

mths wrote:You should learn to control your stress levels a bit better before actually getting to law school.

Yeah, people here are totally well balanced and stable.

canuck

Postby canuck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am aware that stressing about it is irrational and unhealthy. It's a big life transition and I'm doing the best I can to stay level-headed. I just all of a sudden feel like I've been cut-out.

Hopefully it'll all work out.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:19 pm

booyakasha wrote:
mths wrote:You should learn to control your stress levels a bit better before actually getting to law school.

Yeah, people here are totally well balanced and stable.

/tears out hair slowly while rocking back and forth and crying softly

what do you mean?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Knock wrote:Second of all, calm down, what do you want? Either your numbers are good enough, in which case you will get in, or they're not, and you won't get in. It's still far too early to tell.. There's no use freaking out just because you weren't one of the first few to get accepted to a school...

This seriously needs to be stickied in every forum until the cycle is over.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:47 pm

IAFG wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Plus, if you don't get UMich, there is always money at UVA with your GPA.

THIS

canuck

Postby canuck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:02 pm

rad law wrote:
IAFG wrote:

THIS

Yea I ignorantly applied to UVA RD and didn't even write a Why UVA. Shoot me for not knowing that certain T14 schools need to be coddled into accepting you, but I'm not super keen on UVA either way.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 pm

If you didn't write a Why Mich either, get on that and add it to you app.

canuck

Postby canuck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:15 pm

IAFG wrote:If you didn't write a Why Mich either, get on that and add it to you app.

Yea thanks I wrote one after submitted.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”