Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
teaadntoast

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby teaadntoast » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Keep in mind that, once you've cashed that first loan check, the law school train is very, very hard to stop. Your lender doesn't really care that you've suddenly realized you can't bear to spend another day thinking about torts or contracts - it's going to want its money back. That means you have two choices: finish and muscle through several years of work you loathe while paying down debt or don't finish and accept that a big chunk of your paycheck will be devoted to reducing loan debt for the foreseeable future. Neither of these is a hugely attractive option.

Moreover, once you have that law degree, you're going to need to start working as a lawyer pretty much immediately. That means you go straight into the professional workplace - with all its long-houred, accrued vacation-ed glory. Do not pass Europe. Do not collect copious leisure time for reflection and self-discovery. If you've always dreamed about volunteering in Chile, now is the time to do it because you're likely not going to have the chance again until you're retired.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I can't agree more with taking a couple of years off. I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident that law is what I want to do without the time to try out a couple of things, get some good management/work experience, and just generally live life off of the academic calendar before jumping back on it.

It'll be three years after graduation when I go back to school, and I wouldn't trade that time back.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:I can't agree more with taking a couple of years off. I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident that law is what I want to do without the time to try out a couple of things, get some good management/work experience, and just generally live life off of the academic calendar before jumping back on it.

It'll be three years after graduation when I go back to school, and I wouldn't trade that time back.

+1 regarding the academic calendar. Working full time makes you realize how valuable free-time is.

NYCcops

Postby NYCcops » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:13 pm

I have taken 2.5 years off between undergrad and law school. I don't see why it would be a problem with good work experience in that time.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:55 pm

McNulty wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:I can't agree more with taking a couple of years off. I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident that law is what I want to do without the time to try out a couple of things, get some good management/work experience, and just generally live life off of the academic calendar before jumping back on it.

+1 regarding the academic calendar. Working full time makes you realize how valuable free-time is.

You said it. I'm at 15 years (!) off now, and will be looking at being one of the oldest in my class. On the other hand I'm amazed at the prospect of returning to the academic calendar. It's been 15 years since I've had more than one day off at Christmas!

(And, more on topic: Yes, take time off. Take the time to figure out what you want to do, what you want your career trajectory to be, and let it work itself out. If law school is in the cards, you will get to a point where you can't or don't want to go any further without it. Such is my situation.)

mccoy99

Postby mccoy99 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:20 pm

I took about 35 years off - think that is enough?

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm taking two years off -- didn't decide I wanted to go to law school until it was too late to apply for this cycle (and have a reasonable shot at my dream school), so I'll take the LSAT in February (and again in June if I have to) and submit applications for admission in 2012.

I'm working as a live-in nanny for an opera singer friend. I travel around the world (well, mostly the US, Canada, and Europe) with my friend and her 14-month-old son, study for the LSAT in my free time, and generally have a blast. I make a decent salary -- I've managed to pay off both of my credit cards and am now saving my money for law school. It's not law-related in the least, but it gives me the opportunity to do a LOT of travel on someone else's dime and I know that I won't have a chance to do any real globetrotting once I start LS.

I'm really glad that I've taken the time off. I feel like I'll be able to go to law school with a clear head and with a lot more focus than I would have had if I'd gone directly after I finished undergrad. I was so burnt out by the time I graduated that going straight into more school would have been a recipe for disaster.

Instead, I'm living rent-free, saving money, seeing the world, and recharging my batteries a little bit. It's been good for me.

Swanky

Postby Swanky » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I'm working as a live-in nanny for an opera singer friend. I travel around the world (well, mostly the US, Canada, and Europe) with my friend and her 14-month-old son, study for the LSAT in my free time, and generally have a blast. I make a decent salary -- I've managed to pay off both of my credit cards and am now saving my money for law school. It's not law-related in the least, but it gives me the opportunity to do a LOT of travel on someone else's dime and I know that I won't have a chance to do any real globetrotting once I start LS.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”