Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm just curious to know who took time off between undergrad and law school? I missed the deadline for the December LSAT... Which is pretty sad because I had a pretty rigid study schedule that I stuck to... But for some reason I forgot to sign up. Like a moron. So, I've decided it'd be pointless to take the Feb lsat considering my chances would be slim by applying in march... So I think I'm going to take a year off. Who here took time off between undergrad and law school and what are your opinions on it?

User avatar
oshberg28
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby oshberg28 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:39 pm

General consensus: never a bad idea to take time off, unless you're not spending that time working. By the time I go to law school (next year or the year after), I'll have taken 4 years off (full-time job, however).

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby OGR3 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:55 pm

If possible, live at home and get a full-time job.

It gives you a chance to spend quality time with family before law school. If you can't stand your family, then it will give you more motivation to do well on the LSAT so you can get an awesome scholarship or into a better school, thereby decreasing your chances of living at home after law school.

Saving money + work experience + more LSAT prep = Not a bad idea

User avatar
eliekedourie
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby eliekedourie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:56 pm

.
Last edited by eliekedourie on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:I'm just curious to know who took time off between undergrad and law school? I missed the deadline for the December LSAT... Which is pretty sad because I had a pretty rigid study schedule that I stuck to... But for some reason I forgot to sign up. Like a moron. So, I've decided it'd be pointless to take the Feb lsat considering my chances would be slim by applying in march... So I think I'm going to take a year off. Who here took time off between undergrad and law school and what are your opinions on it?

Live at home, try to find some paid week, nail the LSAT. If know any attorneys, start networking now. See if you can get an entry level job in the field of law. It will be grunt work, but that's life.

User avatar
oshberg28
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby oshberg28 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:05 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:I'm just curious to know who took time off between undergrad and law school? I missed the deadline for the December LSAT... Which is pretty sad because I had a pretty rigid study schedule that I stuck to... But for some reason I forgot to sign up. Like a moron. So, I've decided it'd be pointless to take the Feb lsat considering my chances would be slim by applying in march... So I think I'm going to take a year off. Who here took time off between undergrad and law school and what are your opinions on it?

Live at home, try to find some paid week, nail the LSAT. If know any attorneys, start networking now. See if you can get an entry level job in the field of law. It will be grunt work, but that's life.


I've heard conflicting things about working at a law firm before applying to law school...apparently many schools don't see that as a positive (they don't see it as a negative by any means either). Maybe more people can shed some light on this. I've simply read it elsewhere on these forums, so this assumption may be mistaken.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:31 pm

oshberg28 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:I'm just curious to know who took time off between undergrad and law school? I missed the deadline for the December LSAT... Which is pretty sad because I had a pretty rigid study schedule that I stuck to... But for some reason I forgot to sign up. Like a moron. So, I've decided it'd be pointless to take the Feb lsat considering my chances would be slim by applying in march... So I think I'm going to take a year off. Who here took time off between undergrad and law school and what are your opinions on it?

Live at home, try to find some paid week, nail the LSAT. If know any attorneys, start networking now. See if you can get an entry level job in the field of law. It will be grunt work, but that's life.


I've heard conflicting things about working at a law firm before applying to law school...apparently many schools don't see that as a positive (they don't see it as a negative by any means either). Maybe more people can shed some light on this. I've simply read it elsewhere on these forums, so this assumption may be mistaken.

I was advising you to do this so you can make sure you want to become a lawyer. And even if you think there is no doubt, you could use an opportunity working in the field to narrow down what type of law you'd like to practice. I think that will indirectly help at OCI if you can talk about your previous work in the field and where you see yourself headed over the next 5 to 10 years.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby Capitol A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

I wasn't planning to attend law school while I was in undergrad, so I've been out of college for 7yrs.
While I'm not thrilled that I will be graduating law school at the age of 32, I have definitely matured a ton, learned a lot about life. I'm certain about my chosen career path, and I've made wise financial decisions that have put me in position to attend a t30 school with no debt. In addition, if I would have taken less time off, say 3 or 4 years, I would be graduating now into this terrible economy. Maybe it will get worse, but I doubt it, so hopefully my timing is good in that regard as well.
Bottom line...While I don't think it's perfect that I'm going back to being a full time student at this stage of my life, there's really nothing that I would go back and change. I could have applied last cycle if I had taken the Dec LSAT, but decided one more year wouldn't hurt anything, and it's always better to take your time and make sure you have all your ducks in a row.
If you're in a situation where taking a year off serves you better-do it. The last thing you want to do is rush things.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby Sandro » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Its a good idea if you can do something. If you don't it can begin to drag on and on and turn into hell until you get you acceptances where you want to go.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Take a year off. But still take the Feb LSAT. Why would you wait?

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby twert » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:14 pm

taking a year off is only worth it if you do something that will build character. if you work, support yourself. learn to do things. grow up some.

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:Take a year off. But still take the Feb LSAT. Why would you wait?

You couldn't be anymore correct.

User avatar
tartugas
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby tartugas » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:57 pm

I'm 36. I have worked in my chosen industry for the past 15 years, and have decided to go to law school at this point in my life for many reasons. The last thing that enters my mind is that I am too old for this. I have enough experience and contacts behind me that I have no concern for what the job prospects are for me coming out of school. The worst case scenario is that after law school I return to my old job and continue putting money in my annuity. Sometimes I get a big kick reading all the panicked posts from posters who are afraid that not getting in a T14 will ruin your lives. For most people getting out of college and spending time in the "real world" is a very beneficial experience. As to the OP, taking a year off in your position is opportunity gained. Get a job, learn a little bit of what life outside of school is really like, spend some time volunteering for causes that mean something to you, and try to save up a little scratch. Rushing apps at the last minute is a guaranteed method for submitting a sub-par package.

Oh, and sign up for the June LSAT instead. Use the extra time to study more and raise your score.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby Capitol A » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:25 pm

tartugas wrote:I'm 36. I have worked in my chosen industry for the past 15 years, and have decided to go to law school at this point in my life for many reasons. The last thing that enters my mind is that I am too old for this. I have enough experience and contacts behind me that I have no concern for what the job prospects are for me coming out of school. The worst case scenario is that after law school I return to my old job and continue putting money in my annuity. Sometimes I get a big kick reading all the panicked posts from posters who are afraid that not getting in a T14 will ruin your lives. For most people getting out of college and spending time in the "real world" is a very beneficial experience. As to the OP, taking a year off in your position is opportunity gained. Get a job, learn a little bit of what life outside of school is really like, spend some time volunteering for causes that mean something to you, and try to save up a little scratch. Rushing apps at the last minute is a guaranteed method for submitting a sub-par package.

Oh, and sign up for the June LSAT instead. Use the extra time to study more and raise your score.

Very well said. Sounds like you and I are in a similar situation, and I feel the exact same way.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby NZA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Take a year off. But still take the Feb LSAT. Why would you wait?


I agree. Might as well take it if you've been studying for it and are at your peak. Plus, that way, you can get an idea of what schools you can apply to and only have to worry about your PS and resume next fall.

I took a year off (graduated this past June, and am currently employed as a PI), and I think it's a good thing. Honestly, after writing a senior thesis and being in school for four years, it's probably a good idea to take a year-long deep breath to put everything in perspective. I've been enjoying my year off. It's been good to just work a job, go home, crack a beer and watch the Mariners. You know?

Because once you're in law school, I mean, you're in. For life. And when you graduate with six figures worth of debt, you're going to be in the big leagues. It's no joke. :) So I think it's a good thing to take a year and meditate and think about it.

Frankly, I think it would probably be a good thing if people took a year off between high school and college, really, to gain some perspective. But that's just me.

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby pokerlaw » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:25 pm

I decided to apply this fall after graduating a few years ago. Spent a year as a prop trader, currently in my second year as an analyst at a boutique investment bank. Doubt it will help my applications very much.

I'm hoping the work experience and networking will help with my job search in/after law school.

User avatar
plt06
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby plt06 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Took 3 years off, worked FT for 2 of them, then got another grad degree. I can tell you that the work experience has been a MAJOR plus in my applications. Better material for personal statements, better resume, and more discipline in studying for the LSAT.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby northwood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 pm

took 3 years off and worked. Traveled around the country a bit. It definately has helped me learn more about myself, and grow. I got the experience and insight in the field of law that I want to study. Havent saved as much as id like, but thats the fun of life. OP: this is a blessing in disguise. Enjoy the time off from school, and nail that test!

User avatar
ak13
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 am

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby ak13 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm

NZA wrote: I've been enjoying my year off. It's been good to just work a job, go home, crack a beer and watch the Mariners. You know?


I do know, I'm doing the same thing and loving it, exactly like you say. Work, drink, watch the Wings and do it again. That said, I am looking forward to school again, just a little bit.

Time off is always beneficial.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:I'm just curious to know who took time off between undergrad and law school?


My friends uncle. His name is Frank.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:18 pm

tartugas wrote:I'm 36. I have worked in my chosen industry for the past 15 years, and have decided to go to law school at this point in my life for many reasons. The last thing that enters my mind is that I am too old for this. I have enough experience and contacts behind me that I have no concern for what the job prospects are for me coming out of school. The worst case scenario is that after law school I return to my old job and continue putting money in my annuity.


Hello, fellow non-trad! I'm also shifting paths after 15+ years (I started in college!) in a great, successful career. I've always wanted to go to law school, I'm enjoying it thoroughly and my worst-case scenario is the same as yours. (In fact, I'm doing a PT program right now so that I can continue working.) I'm very happy with my choices - I know I bring a very unique perspective to law school and I'm not freaked about work, when I get out.
OP, take the year off. There's really no down side - enjoy!

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby swilson215 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:30 pm

I definitely agree with the general consensus on this forum: taking some time off can only help if you get some work experience during your time off. I will have taken off two years when I start law school (this August) and since I graduated I've worked full time at a law firm and lived at home to save up some money.

While I don't think that it's necessary (or even a huge plus) to adcomms if you work in the legal field, it was the best thing I could have done. It helped me network in my region and it made me more certain that law school was the right path for me (I was also considering getting a masters). Working in a legal support position is really invaluable, because you can see the sorts of things you'll actually be doing (not just getting a diluted and distorted version from shows like Law and Order) and make sure that it's everything you think it will be.

Take a year. You can have some time to take the LSAT (twice if you need to!) and decompress from four straight years of undergraduate learning. Good luck!

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:33 pm

I don't really think two years is that much "time off"

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Another non-trad here. I graduated from college in 2001 with a degree in performance and no expectation of ever going back to school. Circumstances changed and I'll have been a legal assistant for 8 years when I start law school, 12 when I finish. No law firm will ever look at that as a negative.

amkid100
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Who took time off between undergrad and law school?

Postby amkid100 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 pm

OP, I'm in a similar situation to you. Last year I thought I was going to go straight to law school but ended up having some personal/family issues delay the application process until I ultimately decided to wait.

Thus far I have really enjoyed my time off - I have a year-long public interest internship that pays shit but is exposing me to a lot of criminal justice issues. I also was very over-involved and over-worked in undergrad and have really appreciated the time to recharge my batteries a little.

That being said...I did find it much harder than I anticipated to find something to do for a year. I did get two job offers for paralegal jobs at prestigious NY firms, but they both required two-year commitments, something I was not prepared to do. If you think two years off is okay, or if you are comfortable reneging on a commitment you made to an employer, the year off is a no-brainer. If, however, you are like me and only want to take one year off, you may need to adjust your expectations of the kind of work you can find. You might also want to look into things like teaching positions abroad, or Princeton in Africa/Asia etc. instead of limiting yourself to entry-level work in the U.S.

Good luck!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canafsa, rikkebukh and 6 guests