U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DocHawkeye

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm

red_alertz wrote:
SFnative wrote:I just got waitlisted, really shocked about this one, was expecting this as a safety w/ scholly, Will not be waiting on this school though, already placed into higher schools.. Still cant believe it.. :shock:

what higher schools

I got rejected by Pacific some time ago. It was the second lowest rated school I applied to and the only one I've been outright rejected by. I got into Case Western Reserve, Penn State, Michigan State, Nebraska (all rated higher than Pacific) and Drake (the only rated lower). I've been waitlisted by Iowa.

szimmerman

Postby szimmerman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:26 pm

I will be joining some of you at McGeorge next year! Just spoke with Adam (Dean Barrett-of admissions). SO EXCITED!!!

calililaw

Postby calililaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:32 pm

szimmerman wrote:I will be joining some of you at McGeorge next year! Just spoke with Adam (Dean Barrett-of admissions). SO EXCITED!!!

Congrats! Are you doing part time or full time?

szimmerman

Postby szimmerman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:02 pm

calililaw wrote:
szimmerman wrote:I will be joining some of you at McGeorge next year! Just spoke with Adam (Dean Barrett-of admissions). SO EXCITED!!!

Congrats! Are you doing part time or full time?

Full time :).

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Went to Legal Scholars Day today, and I must say, I was very impressed. I will at least be putting down a deposit for now.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:02 pm

risktaker wrote:Went to Legal Scholars Day today, and I must say, I was very impressed. I will at least be putting down a deposit for now.

How was it? What impressed you the most?

dreams2308

Postby dreams2308 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:15 pm

I was at Legal scholar's day as well and was very impressed well.

The sense of community is amazing at U of P. Both my prospective classmates and the currents seemed extremely friendly and some of the campus practices, such as people being on gchat during class and sharing answers as to help each other out, came across as really cool.

There seemed to be a lack of pretension as well from the current students, who were not afraid to criticize things they did not like. This lack of pretension continued into the topic of placement where McGeorge Law made it clear that a lot of placement went into public interest, international law, and clerkships. Furthermore, the professors with whom there was interaction, particularly Professor Levine who taught a Mock 1l Tort class was very impressive.

acmass

Postby acmass » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 pm

I was surprisingly impressed by Legal Scholars Day. Prof. Levine was great, loved the campus, all of the faculty I spoke with were incredibly friendly and helpful. Their international program and the great job opportunities in the Sacramento area are a big draw for me now. They really put a lot of time and effort into trying to impress us, but in a way that really made me feel welcome.

I went to the wine reception after and getting to talk one-on-one with Dean Parker and Anne from the Career Development Office was really informative and valuable.

Only downside for me is that the on-campus housing options aren't stellar.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:09 am

I too was a Legal Scholars Day and I was impressed with what McGeorge had to offer. The campus was quite impressive, but the construction on the library is bleh (I took a random visit last year, and it still looks the same) and wasn't too impressed with the student panel with some of their answers. For example, worst thing about McGeorge? Food prices, so-so library staff. I would've liked it if they could've been more upfront with things.

With that said, I really liked the huge emphasis on community and helping each other out. Also really enjoyed sitting in Prof. Sprankling's property class (students were very engaging and Prof. Sprankling was entertaining), and was very impressed with Prof. Levine's mock class.

Overall, if it wasn't for McGeorge admitting me after I sent in a deposit for Pitt, I think I would've had an easier decision. However, Pitt's scholly is really hard to turn down but McGeorge being only 2 hours away from me and their confidence in their school in Sacramento has me considering McGeorge as an option; at least a deposit. Also getting a free sweater is a nice little touch.

Has anyone been successful in negotiating with McGeorge? I really don't like the top 1/3 stipulation and it would really be hard to turn down $15k w/ no stipulations from a public school.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:32 pm

Just going to echo what everyone else said. Students and professors seemed very friendly. It's also great the a lot of the professors teaching at McG are published and those are the books that students use in class. Very impressed with the hands-on learning aspect that McG has to offer. I am all about learning via doing, and it seems like McG has that part covered well. Even though the guest speaker's speech was moving, I was a bit disappointed that he did not really touch on why McG is a great school. All he said was, took the LSAT here and so, decided to go to school here. From what I heard, their career services dept. does everything it can to help a student find a job and map their career starting the first year of law school. Never judge a book by its covers; in this case, its ranking. In terms of job placement, McG is doing a hell of a lot better than SCU and USF. They have a lot more students reporting salaries in the private sector as well. The campus is quaint, but I did not like the surrounding area too much. If I decide to attend here, I will definitely opt for the on-campus housing. The rooms are freaking enormous and relatively cheap. $650 for a studio i think and like $800 something for a single room. Overall, a thumbs up for McG.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Man all these positive reviews have made me think twice about McG. I have a decent scholarship there but I'm afraid of job prospects. I spoke with Dean Barrett since I couldn't go to legal scholars day and he sold it's strengths. I'm really debating it, so thanks for the info guys.

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:53 am

Withdrawn. Returned 14k.

Good luck to you all next year!

coolgreen44

Postby coolgreen44 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:51 pm

I know I am late to post, but the Legal Scholars day was amazing. I was really impressed with the school.
Before I went the chances of me actually attending were pretty low, but now I am strongly considering it. I think I will try asking about getting the stipulations removed or an increase in money and if they do I think I will attend.

Anyway, really nice school, really interesting professors, and overall great atmosphere.

bb8900

Postby bb8900 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 am

Can anyone describe what the surrounding area around McGeorge is like?

Is it safe or not so much?

FooJ

Postby FooJ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am

Last edited by FooJ on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazyventures

Postby crazyventures » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:00 am

bb8900 wrote:Can anyone describe what the surrounding area around McGeorge is like?

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be after reading about how sketchy the neighborhood was online, but I definitely wouldn't walk around by myself after it was dark. The surrounding area is a bit rundown, but you don't have to go far to get to nicer areas and campus provides security at night if you need it. If I lived off campus I'd probably look at Midtown.

coolgreen44

Postby coolgreen44 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 am

My flight got to Sacramento about 30 minutes early so I took a bus out to the school. The bus route is about 3 blocks away from the school so I walked in. When I got there the tour guide lady said that was unsafe to do. She also said most students don't live in that area, but really I didn't notice anything to bad. It did stand out to me though that the student ambassadors (2L/3L) who had the candid talk with us at the end of the day did mention there was a lot of security, and that they do a good job keeping 'them' out.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:50 am

From what I've been told from friends that live in Sacramento, Oak Park (the area surrounding McGeorge) = really sketchy. If you have experienced a shady area in a big city, it won't be that much of a shock; if not, then you'll definitely notice a sketchy vibe (though more so at night time). From what the student ambassadors have said, security is pretty good around McGeorge, just don't go set yourself up for trouble.

On another note, I was able to renegotiate my scholarship into a pretty tempting offer. As long as I commit to McGeorge, I'll be able to keep my scholarship.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 pm

crazyventures wrote:
bb8900 wrote:Can anyone describe what the surrounding area around McGeorge is like?

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be after reading about how sketchy the neighborhood was online, but I definitely wouldn't walk around by myself after it was dark. The surrounding area is a bit rundown, but you don't have to go far to get to nicer areas and campus provides security at night if you need it. If I lived off campus I'd probably look at Midtown.

It can't be worse than Albany Avenue in Hartford, CT or Harlem in NYC. What exactly is around the school?

crazyventures

Postby crazyventures » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm

sanjola wrote:
crazyventures wrote:

It can't be worse than Albany Avenue in Hartford, CT or Harlem in NYC. What exactly is around the school?

The surrounding area is largely residential with mostly older houses. The neighborhood had more of a working class feel to it than anything else. I didn't park in the school lot for Legal Scholars Day but I didn't feel unsafe walking about a block back to my car. I would use common sense while in the area, but you can say that for pretty much any neighborhood in a larger city.

Sacramento PD links to a useful website that tracks recent crimes in Sac by neighborhood: http://www.sacpd.org/crime/mapping/

brangara

Postby brangara » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Withdrew. Hope someone worthy gets my 45K.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:59 am

sanjola wrote:
crazyventures wrote:

The surrounding area is a little sketchy, but not that bad. Definitely not as sketchy as the tenderloin area in San Francisco around Hastings or skid row area in Los Angeles. When I visited the campus on a weekday, there were a handful of sketchy looking people hanging out in the park next to campus.

acmass

Postby acmass » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:41 pm

orachelo wrote:
sanjola wrote:
crazyventures wrote:

The surrounding area is a little sketchy, but not that bad. Definitely not as sketchy as the tenderloin area in San Francisco around Hastings or skid row area in Los Angeles. When I visited the campus on a weekday, there were a handful of sketchy looking people hanging out in the park next to campus.

I feel the same way. And especially coming from Tucson...where 80% of the city is pretty sketchy. I felt like Oak Park was very much like Tucson in that sense. Bums use to hang out on the steps outside of my dorm in undergrad and they're all over the parks here, so I actually didn't think Oak Park was that sketchy. A little, but really not out of the norm for what I'm use to.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:16 pm

I'm sad to say I withdrew today (since I liked McG) hopefully someone gets my 15k/yr scholarship. Good luck to all of you attending this fall.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Where are you going tooswole?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”