U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
twozeroseven

New

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Post by twozeroseven » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 am

tooswolle wrote:I agree with the above posters; I got a decent sized scholarship but I'm scared of taking that much debt on. Does any body know if they offer other kind of scholarships later on through financial aid I.e diversity scholarships, etc.? Or do they even negotiate?
I talked with Adam today. He was open to forwarding a request to the scholarship committee to remove stipulations. He asked for copies of my other offers. The stipulations would help significantly, but I think they would also have to bump up my award up by around 5-8k to make a real difference. I don't have a real killer offer somewhere else as leverage. Just T1 acceptances and other lower T2 scholly offers.

acmass

New

Post by acmass » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Anyone else going to the Legal Scholars Day on April 8th?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:34 pm

acmass wrote:Anyone else going to the Legal Scholars Day on April 8th?
The legal scholar's day is pretty impressive, I really enjoyed it. Good luck!

calililaw

New

Post by calililaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Dasein 2011 wrote:Does anyone know if there has been any movement on the waitlist or generally when the waitlist is reviewed?
I was also wondering the same. Has anyone seen/heard about any WL movement- day or night?

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Whoa! Accepted today via huge packet.

Also got a 5k scholly offer to boot! This was extremely unexpected given my numbers (3.51/154).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:59 pm

I might be going. It's only a 2 hour drive for me.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm a little less excited after seeing the monstrous tuition costs (I assumed it was in the 30-32k range..wrong..before you ridicule me for not doing my research, know that I applied to McGeorge on a whim).

Couple that with the ridiculous COL in CA and accruing a copious amount of debt seems all but inevitable.

Not sure it's worth it.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I got a voice mail from Adam saying I was accepted today! I applied last thursday so I am a little surprised they decided so fast :D

In the message it says they have a legal scholars day on Friday, and that I was welcomed to fly down. I called him back once I checked my messages but I think he may have left for the day or something. I figure I will get a call back tomorrow. In the mean time does anyone know how it works? Do you buy a plane ticket and they reimburse you? And most importantly do you have to pay them back if you decide not to attend?

Thanks

acmass

New

Post by acmass » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:I got a voice mail from Adam saying I was accepted today! I applied last thursday so I am a little surprised they decided so fast :D

In the message it says they have a legal scholars day on Friday, and that I was welcomed to fly down. I called him back once I checked my messages but I think he may have left for the day or something. I figure I will get a call back tomorrow. In the mean time does anyone know how it works? Do you buy a plane ticket and they reimburse you? And most importantly do you have to pay them back if you decide not to attend?

Thanks
In my admissions packet, it had a letter & travel expense guidelines about Legal Scholars Day. They'll reimburse one domestic round-trip ticket up to $500. They'll also reimburse for transportation to/from airport and to/from hotel and law school (but they won't reimburse for hotel accommodations). You have to bring ALL of your receipts when you fill out the reimbursement form and you'll get a check within 4-6 weeks.

They'll also reimburse for car rental/driving on your own, but since I'm flying I didn't pay attention to those details.

As far as I can tell, we don't have to pay them back if we decide not to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

szimmerman

New

Post by szimmerman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 pm

I have been anxiously awaiting ANY news from McGeorge...the wait is killing me!

My application originally went complete on 1/13...and was updated 'complete' on 3/29. Anyone have any insight into what this means?

I'm also curious as to my chances...LSAT 155 GPA 3.5. Thoughts? Advice?

btnyegurl

New

Post by btnyegurl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Damn you for getting my hopes up with an email title of SAC McGeorge and its just another invite for the Law Day that I can't attend

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:39 pm

I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:45 pm

szimmerman wrote:I have been anxiously awaiting ANY news from McGeorge...the wait is killing me!

My application originally went complete on 1/13...and was updated 'complete' on 3/29. Anyone have any insight into what this means?

I'm also curious as to my chances...LSAT 155 GPA 3.5. Thoughts? Advice?
i think your chances are good

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:53 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)
Nobody is negotiating scholarships this late in the game.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm

If nobody else is doing it wouldn't that make it better for me :lol:

Anything left over is just sitting there for me to have :wink:

Although I understand. Still it wouldn't hurt for me to ask him when I am on campus right?

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

Nobody is negotiating scholarships this late in the game.
I disagree, you have to have something to bargain with. Their open to seeing other offers from schools, perhaps raising one of your numbers (most likely LSAT) however i haven't had luck trying to negotiate.

btnyegurl

New

Post by btnyegurl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Thank you cool for being positive, its a rare sight on this forum

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:49 pm

btnyegurl wrote:

If you're distinguishing between reality or being overly optimistic when the contrary is FAR more likely, I'll take the person being straight up about things. Can't blame people on the forums for being honest....
On that note, it's always worth a try. Nobody has claimed there isn't an exception--regardless of how uncommon. But it's not healthy for us to give you false hope where there is little....

btnyegurl

New

Post by btnyegurl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
btnyegurl wrote:

If you're distinguishing between reality or being overly optimistic when the contrary is FAR more likely, I'll take the person being straight up about things. Can't blame people on the forums for being honest....
On that note, it's always worth a try. Nobody has claimed there isn't an exception--regardless of how uncommon. But it's not healthy for us to give you false hope where there is little....
Listen -- I'm not disillusioned by one comment, nor do I think that the people on this forum are consistently dishonest, I was simply thanking someone who had been nice to me 8)

LilMan'sMom

New

Post by LilMan'sMom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:15 pm

I withdrew today. I'm returning $25k/year in scholarship money. Good luck to those on the waitlist and those who are still waiting on a decision.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Echoing this.

I will be heading down. I am just trying to work out the cheapest/fastest way for me to get to the campus from the airport (so I don't have to wait to be reimbursed.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zealous Abattoir

New

Post by Zealous Abattoir » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Got in, Honors, 12,000 dollar scholarship. Will pass, I think I'll wait for next cycle.

Good luck!

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:28 am

[quote="Zealous Abattoir"]Got in, Honors, 12,000 dollar scholarship. Will pass, I think I'll wait for next cycle.

Good luck![/quote]

I echo this. Just withdrew.

SFnative

Bronze

Post by SFnative » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I just got waitlisted, really shocked about this one, was expecting this as a safety w/ scholly, Will not be waiting on this school though, already placed into higher schools.. Still cant believe it.. :shock:

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:25 pm

SFnative wrote:I just got waitlisted, really shocked about this one, was expecting this as a safety w/ scholly, Will not be waiting on this school though, already placed into higher schools.. Still cant believe it.. :shock:
what higher schools

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”