U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
twozeroseven
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby twozeroseven » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 am

tooswolle wrote:I agree with the above posters; I got a decent sized scholarship but I'm scared of taking that much debt on. Does any body know if they offer other kind of scholarships later on through financial aid I.e diversity scholarships, etc.? Or do they even negotiate?


I talked with Adam today. He was open to forwarding a request to the scholarship committee to remove stipulations. He asked for copies of my other offers. The stipulations would help significantly, but I think they would also have to bump up my award up by around 5-8k to make a real difference. I don't have a real killer offer somewhere else as leverage. Just T1 acceptances and other lower T2 scholly offers.

acmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby acmass » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Anyone else going to the Legal Scholars Day on April 8th?

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby swilson215 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:34 pm

acmass wrote:Anyone else going to the Legal Scholars Day on April 8th?


The legal scholar's day is pretty impressive, I really enjoyed it. Good luck!

User avatar
calililaw
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby calililaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Dasein 2011 wrote:Does anyone know if there has been any movement on the waitlist or generally when the waitlist is reviewed?

I was also wondering the same. Has anyone seen/heard about any WL movement- day or night?

ineptimusprime
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Whoa! Accepted today via huge packet.

Also got a 5k scholly offer to boot! This was extremely unexpected given my numbers (3.51/154).

User avatar
gokickrocks
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby gokickrocks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:59 pm

acmass wrote:Anyone else going to the Legal Scholars Day on April 8th?


I might be going. It's only a 2 hour drive for me.

ineptimusprime
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm a little less excited after seeing the monstrous tuition costs (I assumed it was in the 30-32k range..wrong..before you ridicule me for not doing my research, know that I applied to McGeorge on a whim).

Couple that with the ridiculous COL in CA and accruing a copious amount of debt seems all but inevitable.

Not sure it's worth it.

User avatar
coolgreen44
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby coolgreen44 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I got a voice mail from Adam saying I was accepted today! I applied last thursday so I am a little surprised they decided so fast :D

In the message it says they have a legal scholars day on Friday, and that I was welcomed to fly down. I called him back once I checked my messages but I think he may have left for the day or something. I figure I will get a call back tomorrow. In the mean time does anyone know how it works? Do you buy a plane ticket and they reimburse you? And most importantly do you have to pay them back if you decide not to attend?

Thanks

acmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby acmass » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:I got a voice mail from Adam saying I was accepted today! I applied last thursday so I am a little surprised they decided so fast :D

In the message it says they have a legal scholars day on Friday, and that I was welcomed to fly down. I called him back once I checked my messages but I think he may have left for the day or something. I figure I will get a call back tomorrow. In the mean time does anyone know how it works? Do you buy a plane ticket and they reimburse you? And most importantly do you have to pay them back if you decide not to attend?

Thanks


In my admissions packet, it had a letter & travel expense guidelines about Legal Scholars Day. They'll reimburse one domestic round-trip ticket up to $500. They'll also reimburse for transportation to/from airport and to/from hotel and law school (but they won't reimburse for hotel accommodations). You have to bring ALL of your receipts when you fill out the reimbursement form and you'll get a check within 4-6 weeks.

They'll also reimburse for car rental/driving on your own, but since I'm flying I didn't pay attention to those details.

As far as I can tell, we don't have to pay them back if we decide not to attend.

szimmerman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby szimmerman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 pm

I have been anxiously awaiting ANY news from McGeorge...the wait is killing me!

My application originally went complete on 1/13...and was updated 'complete' on 3/29. Anyone have any insight into what this means?

I'm also curious as to my chances...LSAT 155 GPA 3.5. Thoughts? Advice?

btnyegurl
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby btnyegurl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Damn you for getting my hopes up with an email title of SAC McGeorge and its just another invite for the Law Day that I can't attend

User avatar
coolgreen44
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby coolgreen44 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:39 pm

I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:45 pm

szimmerman wrote:I have been anxiously awaiting ANY news from McGeorge...the wait is killing me!

My application originally went complete on 1/13...and was updated 'complete' on 3/29. Anyone have any insight into what this means?

I'm also curious as to my chances...LSAT 155 GPA 3.5. Thoughts? Advice?


i think your chances are good

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:53 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)

Nobody is negotiating scholarships this late in the game.

User avatar
coolgreen44
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby coolgreen44 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm

If nobody else is doing it wouldn't that make it better for me :lol:

Anything left over is just sitting there for me to have :wink:

Although I understand. Still it wouldn't hurt for me to ask him when I am on campus right?

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby tooswolle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)

Nobody is negotiating scholarships this late in the game.


I disagree, you have to have something to bargain with. Their open to seeing other offers from schools, perhaps raising one of your numbers (most likely LSAT) however i haven't had luck trying to negotiate.

btnyegurl
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby btnyegurl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)



Thank you cool for being positive, its a rare sight on this forum

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:49 pm

btnyegurl wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)



Thank you cool for being positive, its a rare sight on this forum


If you're distinguishing between reality or being overly optimistic when the contrary is FAR more likely, I'll take the person being straight up about things. Can't blame people on the forums for being honest....
On that note, it's always worth a try. Nobody has claimed there isn't an exception--regardless of how uncommon. But it's not healthy for us to give you false hope where there is little....

btnyegurl
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby btnyegurl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
btnyegurl wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:I haven't got an email from pacific saying I am in, and the status checker still doesn't say anything about me being in, but I have gotten two calls from Adam saying I am in and that my scholarship is 18,000 a year renewable plus first year books but I must stay in the top 1/3 (has anyone tried to get the 1/3 changed? or more money?).

I am also thinking about going down on Friday if I can find a plane ticket for less then 500$ on such short notice.

Anyway my point was for btnyegurl, maybe they accepted you and you just missed the calls 8)



Thank you cool for being positive, its a rare sight on this forum


If you're distinguishing between reality or being overly optimistic when the contrary is FAR more likely, I'll take the person being straight up about things. Can't blame people on the forums for being honest....
On that note, it's always worth a try. Nobody has claimed there isn't an exception--regardless of how uncommon. But it's not healthy for us to give you false hope where there is little....


Listen -- I'm not disillusioned by one comment, nor do I think that the people on this forum are consistently dishonest, I was simply thanking someone who had been nice to me 8)

User avatar
LilMan'sMom
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby LilMan'sMom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:15 pm

I withdrew today. I'm returning $25k/year in scholarship money. Good luck to those on the waitlist and those who are still waiting on a decision.

User avatar
coolgreen44
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby coolgreen44 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:41 pm

acmass wrote:Anyone else going to the Legal Scholars Day on April 8th?


Echoing this.

I will be heading down. I am just trying to work out the cheapest/fastest way for me to get to the campus from the airport (so I don't have to wait to be reimbursed.)

Zealous Abattoir
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby Zealous Abattoir » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Got in, Honors, 12,000 dollar scholarship. Will pass, I think I'll wait for next cycle.

Good luck!

ineptimusprime
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:28 am

[quote="Zealous Abattoir"]Got in, Honors, 12,000 dollar scholarship. Will pass, I think I'll wait for next cycle.

Good luck![/quote]

I echo this. Just withdrew.

User avatar
SFnative
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:25 am

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby SFnative » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I just got waitlisted, really shocked about this one, was expecting this as a safety w/ scholly, Will not be waiting on this school though, already placed into higher schools.. Still cant believe it.. :shock:

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:25 pm

SFnative wrote:I just got waitlisted, really shocked about this one, was expecting this as a safety w/ scholly, Will not be waiting on this school though, already placed into higher schools.. Still cant believe it.. :shock:

what higher schools




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], potterotter and 5 guests