U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calilaw

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Postby calilaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:44 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am >75th on both LSAT and GPA and haven't heard a peep.

YP?

According to the numbers I've seen, they don't YP. You're definitely in.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 am

I am waiting I have numbers that should get me in. Not my first choice though.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:10 am

jarofsoup wrote:I am waiting I have numbers that should get me in. Not my first choice though.

Yeah, it isn't mine either, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... although I think if I only get into McGeorge I'll just re-take in June.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:26 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I am waiting I have numbers that should get me in. Not my first choice though.

Yeah, it isn't mine either, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... although I think if I only get into McGeorge I'll just re-take in June.

I would rather take USF or Santa Clara and stay in the bay area.

Also applying to Golden Gate for a safety. If I could ever come up with an essay that explains why Golden Gate.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:15 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I would rather take USF or Santa Clara and stay in the bay area.

Also applying to Golden Gate for a safety. If I could ever come up with an essay that explains why Golden Gate.

Yeah, McGeorge places better inland and in Central California, or in small markets in Southern California. SCU is a great school, but I'm with you on GG.

msu1077

Postby msu1077 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 pm

I received a letter from Adam Barrett expressing interest in reviewing my application and offering 'priority review'. I submitted my application on the date of the letter. Is this just a form letter that everyone receives, or should I feel a little better about my odds of getting accepted?

Applied on 11/22/10, current status of complete, within standard means at school. Any ideas?

Thanks!

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I also got that letter. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think a lot of people got the letter.

Mountain Madness

Postby Mountain Madness » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:44 am

Ok I feel dumb. I got the email stating that my application was complete. But, in a rush I deleted the email without setting up the status checker. Anyway to get that going with out the confirmation email?
I'm thinking about just emailing them but wanted to see if there was another way.
Thanks.

Postby 2807 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:51 am

Do you think that this school would place reasonably well for LA County or Orange County DA or PD?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 pm

2807 wrote:Do you think that this school would place reasonably well for LA County or Orange County DA or PD?

Consider who you'd be competing against in southern California... In northern California I think you'd have the upper hand because a lot of graduates from the bay area schools would not "lower themselves" to working in the central valley, but in southern Cal... I can only imagine. That place is super saturated with 1st string fresh graduate J.D.s.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Mountain Madness wrote:Ok I feel dumb. I got the email stating that my application was complete. But, in a rush I deleted the email without setting up the status checker. Anyway to get that going with out the confirmation email?
I'm thinking about just emailing them but wanted to see if there was another way.
Thanks.

You can e-mail the admissions office @ McGeorge and they'll send you a status checker replacement ID/pass that you can use to access your checker. I did the same thing for Northwestern and UWash and had to e-mail 'em. No big deal, they're very fast with it usually.

Mountain Madness

Postby Mountain Madness » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:20 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
2807 wrote:Do you think that this school would place reasonably well for LA County or Orange County DA or PD?

Consider who you'd be competing against in southern California... In northern California I think you'd have the upper hand because a lot of graduates from the bay area schools would not "lower themselves" to working in the central valley, but in southern Cal... I can only imagine. That place is super saturated with 1st string fresh graduate J.D.s.

I think you need to be looking at Chapman University. Same numbers equal scores needed, but it is in the region you are looking at. You do not have to go to a top school to be a DA or a PD.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:33 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Hey, now...nothing wrong with the Central Valley! :D

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:22 am

Just everything. :P

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:24 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Just everything. :P

It's not that bad. :lol:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

The Fresno midlaw firms I interviewed with this Fall filled up on Boalt students @ 70k salaries. You are kidding yourself if you think Bay Area and SoCal students are not clamoring for central valley jobs.

I only interviewed with the Alameda County DA, but I assume the situation is similar to LA and OC DA offices. 200 interviewees, 6-8 summer positions and no guarantee of postgrad employment.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:22 pm

General Tso wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

The Fresno midlaw firms I interviewed with this Fall filled up on Boalt students @ 70k salaries. You are kidding yourself if you think Bay Area and SoCal students are not clamoring for central valley jobs.

I only interviewed with the Alameda County DA, but I assume the situation is similar to LA and OC DA offices. 200 interviewees, 6-8 summer positions and no guarantee of postgrad employment.

I work at a midlaw firm in Bakersfield currently, and we have, I believe, 7 McGeorge grads that are in their first 3-7 years with our firm. We hired one new associate (out of four hired) from McGeorge this year, and I believe their starting salary was around ~80K plus bar prep, moving, and benefits.

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:30 pm

For those of us still in undergrad, I think they are waiting for Fall grades. I noticed everyone on LSN with acceptances are 2-4 years out. I know Davis sent me a letter saying they wanted them after this quarter, so I'd assume McGeorge and the rest are doing the same.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:42 pm

ohlawl wrote:For those of us still in undergrad, I think they are waiting for Fall grades. I noticed everyone on LSN with acceptances are 2-4 years out. I know Davis sent me a letter saying they wanted them after this quarter, so I'd assume McGeorge and the rest are doing the same.

I'm currently a senior and have already been accepted without this year's autumn grades in my application. Although if you're on the cusp and you have a great quarter/semester, it couldn't hurt to throw it in. Hope this helps! :)

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:48 pm

There goes my theory!

I'm safe at McGeorge, but I'd like to actually get accepted (beyond LSP). :)

haleydee

Postby haleydee » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 pm

missed a phone call from the dean wanting to discuss my "pending application", but not getting an answer when I try calling back...status checker still says complete

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:32 pm

ohlawl wrote:For those of us still in undergrad, I think they are waiting for Fall grades. I noticed everyone on LSN with acceptances are 2-4 years out. I know Davis sent me a letter saying they wanted them after this quarter, so I'd assume McGeorge and the rest are doing the same.

I hope this is wrong, my grades this semester suck because of some personal difficulties that I'd rather not explain. This would torch my cycle. please be wrong!

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:45 pm

bergg007 wrote:

I hope this is wrong, my grades this semester suck because of some personal difficulties that I'd rather not explain. This would torch my cycle. please be wrong!

I hope you get through everything that you're dealing with, but I think you'll be alright in terms of submitting this semester's grades. Once you've decided to attend a specific law school, then they'll want to see that you completed your undergraduate studies successfully, but that would basically be it. However, if it should come up at any point before then, just explain your situation (if you feel comfortable doing so) to the law school directly.

I think that as applicants, we forget that the individuals reading our applications are people too. I'm sure they'll understand situations like these. If they don't, then that's probably not the type of law school atmosphere you'd want to join. Just my angle on things.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Underground404 wrote:I'm currently a senior and have already been accepted without this year's autumn grades in my application. Although if you're on the cusp and you have a great quarter/semester, it couldn't hurt to throw it in. Hope this helps! :)

Did your status say 'Admitted' or 'Decision Rendered'? And if the latter, did it say letter sent or it had nothing? I ask because my decision was just rendered and it doesn't say anything other than that, so I'm worried. This was my very first rendering ever, so I'm pretty bummed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”