U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coolgreen44

New

Re: U. of Pacific 2011 Applicants

Post by coolgreen44 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:30 am

Anyone still trying to decide on McGeorge? The scholarship says I need to send it by May 1 if I intend to take it, and I just don't know.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 am

I am having a tough time deciding. That's why I put down a deposit for the time being.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:05 am

I would put down the deposit to get more time but the scholarship offer says you need to confirm your enrollment by May 1st and that if you don't the scholarship award is canceled. If that happened I would definitely not be attending. Thus May 1st is the real deadline to decide to attend or not.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:08 am

It says ur intent to attend. If ur putting down a deposit, u intend to attend for the time being. It does not mean that ur definitely choosing them. If this were the case, everyone with schollys to any school would lose it if they decided to ride out a wait list.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:16 am

Oh I see. When it says "confirm your commitment to enroll" on the award sheet I take that to mean that you are committing to enroll. I get that it does say intend on the other so I'm not exactly sure then as to what this means. I guess I will call Adam in the morning?

I don't like how they use one wording on one sheet and a different on the other. Trying to throw me off :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am

In as of yesterday via snail mail, the only school I was still waiting on...been complete since Feb...and I was planning on this being a safety school.
I had all but given up on Pacific assuming they lost my file or something. I'm a little peeved though; its May, I already put down two deposits, and they're giving me two weeks to consider if I should shovel out another deposit and rework my already stressful decision making process. Annoyed that it took them so long after bombarding my inbox for most of this past year. I have a deposit down at Santa Clara (got more money from them then from Pacific) and a deposit at Chicago-Kent (more money than either school).

Santa Clara reconsiders schollys every year, so I might get less money (or none) next year, but being the optimist I am I like to think of it as I might get more money next year. Kent, no stips, niiiiccceee. And Pacifc? Top third of the class to keep the little money they gave me? Pacifc, the worst ranked school I am considering, the most expensive (assuming I keep a similar scholly at SCU) and most likely the most regional, in one of the least desirable locations (or so I hear). At the beginning of this cycle I really had Pacific as one of my top choices, now I'm having trouble coming up with any enthusiasm.

Sorry for the frustrated post. How did you guys go about negotiating your scholly? Call, email? I'd really like to find a reason to make my decision harder on myself, but I only have two weeks to do it.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:40 pm

I emailed Adam then got a few voice mails back saying they could increase my scholarship (they ask for you to send them your current offers, although he told me the ones I sent were unlikely to hold much sway). However I did not manage to get him on the phone before the deposit deadline so I missed it. Then I got a call yesterday from Adam offering to increase my scholarship 7k and keep the top 1/3rd requirement. I said I was worried about that and he offered to increase it a smaller amount but drop the requirement. So all in all I would say talking to him has worked out very well. He gave me a week to decide to accept or not though, so a good amount of pressure.

For me Pacific is in the middle of the schools (rank wise) that I am considering. I have a full scholarship offer from a T3 that I am trying to balance with going here.

As far as location I went to the legal scholar day and I thought it was nice. I like central California, and Sacramento is a nice city I think. So yea, I really like the place, the people were nice, the professors seemed great, I could see myself living there nicely. Plus I think Pacific has good access to state government internships and the like seeing as it is the only Law school in Sacramento.

If you don't mind me asking what was your LSAT?

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Wed May 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks! Email sent, fingers crossed, anger subsided...I'd be happy with no stips on a small scholly too, hope I can get a similar deal. 167 LSAT got me 10k from Pacific. Oh well. Anybody feel good about the Sac economy/legal market as compared with the rest of CA

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:05 pm

I would guess your GPA must be like 2.x?

I got a double what you got with a 161. One of the scholarship offers I sent him was a full scholarship offer and he said they wouldn't be able to go that high for me, but he said students with 165+ and 3.5+ they do offer some full scholarship too. So I would expect you should be able to get a nice increase from them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Wed May 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks, Im in the 3.0 range but not that impressive, yeah, fingers crossed, you planning on going?

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Wed May 04, 2011 6:22 pm

In terms of renegotiating, Adam was pretty upfront with telling me that the reason I couldn't get a huge scholarship increase was due to my GPA (sub 3.0). I had the same scholly offer, but I was able to get a slight increase and got the 1/3 requirement removed. I'll be here in the Fall if I don't get off the waitlist at my #1 choice.

As for the legal market, I'm not overly optimistic, but if you're okay with staying in the Sacramento area after graduation, I don't think it'd be as hard to find a job as the Bay Area. UC Davis is the other school in the area.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Crazzzybudha wrote:Thanks, Im in the 3.0 range but not that impressive, yeah, fingers crossed, you planning on going?
Strongly considering it.

I am weighing my options at the moment although I am short on time.

The other option I am considering strongly is going to a T3 on a full scholarship (no stipulations).
Last edited by coolgreen44 on Tue May 10, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiraMarie

New

Post by KiraMarie » Fri May 06, 2011 3:39 pm

I am a little frustrated because I received an email, which I am certain everyone in this forum did too, encouraging me to apply, waiving application fee, priority review, blah blah blah.

I figured that would mean an almost automatic acceptance and at the very least not a lot of waiting. BUT I am still waiting!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

orachelo

Bronze

Post by orachelo » Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm

KiraMarie wrote:I am a little frustrated because I received an email, which I am certain everyone in this forum did too, encouraging me to apply, waiving application fee, priority review, blah blah blah.

I figured that would mean an almost automatic acceptance and at the very least not a lot of waiting. BUT I am still waiting!!
I can sympathize. On the bright side -- at least you didn't have to pay.

KiraMarie

New

Post by KiraMarie » Fri May 06, 2011 5:30 pm

orachelo wrote:
KiraMarie wrote:I am a little frustrated because I received an email, which I am certain everyone in this forum did too, encouraging me to apply, waiving application fee, priority review, blah blah blah.

I can sympathize. On the bright side -- at least you didn't have to pay.
Yea, I know, but if I didn't pay, what is in it for them if I apply?

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:17 pm

From what I have gleaned from reading this forum law schools want lots of people to apply so they have lots of people to reject which helps drop there acceptance rate, and that helps them improve in rank.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri May 06, 2011 6:19 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:From what I have gleaned from reading this forum law schools want lots of people to apply so they have lots of people to reject which helps drop there acceptance rate, and that helps them improve in rank.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Sat May 07, 2011 9:12 pm

"We're interested in you, X!", "Submit your application so I can review it!!!", "Interested in you!" A sampling of the emails from McGeorge that have not gone through Gmails shredder. You got to hand it to their marketing department, between the emails, the fancy information packets, and the nice admission packets, they really get you hooked, or at least they got me hooked with all that.

I am very happy to say, thanks to the great advice I got here, Adam made all my dreams come true and more (admissions wise that is). Unless something significant happens between now and June I will likely be heading to Sacramento.

KiraMarie, I went through all you did and was completely frustrated until a week ago when I found my admissions packet in the mailbox (I gave up even checking the status checker). Be patient and I hope you get some good news soon.

crazyventures

New

Post by crazyventures » Sun May 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Withdrawing w/ 10k...good luck to everyone still waiting!

KiraMarie

New

Post by KiraMarie » Mon May 09, 2011 1:06 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:From what I have gleaned from reading this forum law schools want lots of people to apply so they have lots of people to reject which helps drop there acceptance rate, and that helps them improve in rank.
Oh, well that is a nasty little trick! I thought this could be my safety school. It makes sense though really. I guess it is every man/school for himself!!

KiraMarie

New

Post by KiraMarie » Mon May 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Crazzzybudha wrote:

"We're interested in you, X!", "Submit your application so I can review it!!!", "Interested in you!" A sampling of the emails from McGeorge that have not gone through Gmails shredder. You got to hand it to their marketing department, between the emails, the fancy information packets, and the nice admission packets, they really get you hooked, or at least they got me hooked with all that.

I am very happy to say, thanks to the great advice I got here, Adam made all my dreams come true and more (admissions wise that is). Unless something significant happens between now and June I will likely be heading to Sacramento.

KiraMarie, I went through all you did and was completely frustrated until a week ago when I found my admissions packet in the mailbox (I gave up even checking the status checker). Be patient and I hope you get some good news soon.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!! Just to show how impatient I am, I didn't go complete until 4/21 and I am already frustrated with the waiting! Maybe I should email Adam about my status?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

calililaw

New

Post by calililaw » Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm

The last day to apply was May 1st, right? I know in previous years McGeorge would always email potential applicants again stating that their deadline was extended to June 1st.

If that's the case, they should almost be done rendering decisions on applicants, or be completely finished by mid/end of this month....hopefully. I mean, I'm still waiting to simply hear back concerning the wait list :/

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Looks like I will be attending Pacific come August. Pretty excited. :)

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Fri May 13, 2011 1:28 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:Looks like I will be attending Pacific come August. Pretty excited. :)
Awesome! Living on-campus or off-campus?

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I am waiting for my new scholarship letter to come before I make my deposit, but when I do I will ask if they still have on-campus housing left. I figure it is pretty unlikely that they will, so I am expecting to be living off campus.

Hopefully I can find a place within walking distance so I don't have to get a car and what not.

Have you decided where you're going to live?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”