Texas in the Southeast

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Texas in the Southeast

Postby sternc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:40 pm

What is the general reputation of Texas Law in the southeast. I know that UVA, Duke, and Vandy are highly respected, but what about Texas? If I am trying to go BigLaw in the Atlanta market, what type of grades would one need coming from Texas? Anyone have an idea?

User avatar
luckyme
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby luckyme » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:54 pm

sternc wrote:What is the general reputation of Texas Law in the southeast. I know that UVA, Duke, and Vandy are highly respected, but what about Texas? If I am trying to go BigLaw in the Atlanta market, what type of grades would one need coming from Texas? Anyone have an idea?


Why not go to Emory?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:02 pm

luckyme wrote:
sternc wrote:What is the general reputation of Texas Law in the southeast. I know that UVA, Duke, and Vandy are highly respected, but what about Texas? If I am trying to go BigLaw in the Atlanta market, what type of grades would one need coming from Texas? Anyone have an idea?


Why not go to Emory?


With an ATL connection, Texas might be better.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Anecdotal evidence, but I went to a law fair in Ga where UT sent a representative who went to UGA for undergrad and was from GA. She said she had no problem getting a position in Atlanta.

AsianCurveKiller
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:11 pm

To the extent that Texas' CSO can be trusted, there are a lot of UT alums working in the Southeast, especially in Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:18 pm

AsianCurveKiller wrote:To the extent that Texas' CSO can be trusted, there are a lot of UT alums working in the Southeast, especially in Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana.


:lol: Have people really gotten this skeptical of law school's career information? Texas is a reputable enough school that I think they can be trusted.

AsianCurveKiller
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:21 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
AsianCurveKiller wrote:To the extent that Texas' CSO can be trusted, there are a lot of UT alums working in the Southeast, especially in Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana.


:lol: Have people really gotten this skeptical of law school's career information? Texas is a reputable enough school that I think they can be trusted.


I'm a 1L at UT, and the CSO people are very nice. No doubt UT places fine in Texas and the immediately surrounding states. I would go to Vandy over Texas for Atlanta, but either would probably do better than Emory in the Southeast.

But yes, people should be skeptical of everything that comes out of a school's CSO office. The numbers are too easy to fudge.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby de5igual » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:38 pm

AsianCurveKiller wrote:To the extent that Texas' CSO can be trusted, there are a lot of UT alums working in the Southeast, especially in Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana.


I actually didn't find too many UT alums at any of the Atlanta big law firms (when searching them through the firms website)

that said, most of them do recruit at UT, and speaking with some associates at the firms, UT is viewed more favorably than Emory/UGA...which makes me think this is more a result of self-selection and Atlanta shouldn't be too difficult to get

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Texas in the Southeast

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:06 pm

f0bolous wrote:
AsianCurveKiller wrote:To the extent that Texas' CSO can be trusted, there are a lot of UT alums working in the Southeast, especially in Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana.


I actually didn't find too many UT alums at any of the Atlanta big law firms (when searching them through the firms website)

that said, most of them do recruit at UT, and speaking with some associates at the firms, UT is viewed more favorably than Emory/UGA...which makes me think this is more a result of self-selection and Atlanta shouldn't be too difficult to get


Yeah small sample size makes it hard to tell. For the record, I have ties to ATL, and it's a place I want to work, and I went to Vandy over Texas with equal money at both. We'll see what happens.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, hwwong, Kimmysradscreenname and 3 guests