Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shanemahsa

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
Kili wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Gun to my head, I'd go with the former. A quick look at LSN and you find that the only people left in this ED cycle are ones who probably won't get rejected straight out, and probably stand a better than 50% chance of getting in ED (with the exception of me and maybe one other guy). My guess is that CLS has gone through all the initial rejects/deferrals and are now in the process of debating the 'borderline' ED candidates, meaning that those of us who have not gotten anything yet have 'survived' the initial deferral wave and are now getting a second look from the Adcomm. Of course, that's just my hypothesis based on the given information, so take it for what it's worth.

Humor me. How do you explain those grade requested? I know of at least three. One has numbers above the 75th percentiles.

Again, this is just my guess so don't freak out about it, but I heard one other user on this site mention that they do it as a way to 'hold you without holding you.' Seems like most ED-ers who have gotten the request are 170+ and near 4.0, so I'm guessing CLS is trying to sort out those who are willing to go the extra step, wait, and follow up on fall grades, and those who are too lazy to do so (similar to a YP thing). I've also read somewhere from the CLS waiting thread that most ED-ers who followed up from last year's cycle got in, so take that for what it's worth.

How do you YP an ED app?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Kili wrote:lmao oops. I think it's a "don't slack off I'm watching you" thing.

Yeh that makes sense

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm actually headed to NYC on Thursday. I hope I find out before then since I really want to be able to have fun Thursday instead of worrying about some decision. :|

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:18 pm

when do they close for christmas? im on vacation and paidabout 15 dollars for a couple minutes of internet to find nothing in my inbox.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:27 pm

re-applicant wrote:when do they close for christmas? im on vacation and paidabout 15 dollars for a couple minutes of internet to find nothing in my inbox.

I think they close Christmas Eve, so Friday. Look at it this way, we'll only have to wait 3 more days at most to get a decision. Unless they want to be really cruel and make some of us wait until January. I wouldn't mind though. Just please let me in, CLS!

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
re-applicant wrote:when do they close for christmas? im on vacation and paidabout 15 dollars for a couple minutes of internet to find nothing in my inbox.

I think they close Christmas Eve, so Friday. Look at it this way, we'll only have to wait 3 more days at most to get a decision. Unless they want to be really cruel and make some of us wait until January. I wouldn't mind though. Just please let me in, CLS!

Lol sameeeee

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:13 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:23 am

haha, I desperately want to hear today. I don't even care if it's a defferal. Please CLS, don't make me sweat it out tomorrow!!

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am

TLSNYC wrote:haha, I desperately want to hear today. I don't even care if it's a defferal. Please CLS, don't make me sweat it out tomorrow!!

:shock: I care lol

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm

O hai all!! I'm thinking we are going to hear something today!
Well ok I probably just jinxed it.
I'm on a plane right now! How cool. I can still obessively check my email and tls. Hahaha

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 pm

annie2010 wrote:O hai all!! I'm thinking we are going to hear something today!
I'm on a plane right now! How cool. I can still obessively check my email and tls. Hahaha

What airline? I usually fly united and they supposedly have this in-flight wifi on some planes; but I am yet to find one.

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 pm

shanemahsa wrote:

What airline? I usually fly united and they supposedly have this in-flight wifi on some planes; but I am yet to find one.

virgin America! It normally costs money but it's free during the holidays.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:48 pm

annie2010 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:

virgin America! It normally costs money but it's free during the holidays.

Oh nice! *moves amex points*

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:32 pm

At least there werent any deferrals this morning.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Don't wanna jinx it (I'm RD with borderline numbers) but does anyone know when ASWs are? Just trying to get a feel for it.

vertex

Postby vertex » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:38 pm

arism87 wrote:Don't wanna jinx it (I'm RD with borderline numbers) but does anyone know when ASWs are? Just trying to get a feel for it.

Last year there was one in mid-March and one in mid-April. I'll be going to the one in March since I'm going to Coachella in April! Woo hoo!

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Has anyone who has been either accepted or deferred received anything after that decision? I'm starting to get paranoid that my decision ended up in the spam and then was gone forever, LoL.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:30 pm

*yawn* wake me up when someone gets a decision.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Still nothing, huh? Well, live to fight another day, I guess.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:45 pm

FWIW, I just got a PM from a person on LSN who got deferred today. So it looks like they are getting back to people on a rolling basis, which I would think confirms my earlier hypothesis that the ED-ers who haven't heard back are the borderline 50-50 candidates who survived the first round of deferrals and are now getting a second look from the Adcomm. I would also think that chances are high most of us will hear back within the next two days before they close down for 2010. So keep them fingers crossed!

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:FWIW, I just got a PM from a person on LSN who got deferred today. So it looks like they are getting back to people on a rolling basis, which I would think confirms my earlier hypothesis that the ED-ers who haven't heard back are the borderline 50-50 candidates who survived the first round of deferrals and are now getting a second look from the Adcomm. I would also think that chances are high most of us will hear back within the next two days before they close down for 2010. So keep them fingers crossed!

Thanks for sharing that! It makes me feel a little better knowing that they are seriously working on it.

Also, two days? They're open Friday? Friday is also their last business day before 2011?

masson

Postby masson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Just got an email from the admission, says:

"In reviewing your application for admission, the Admissions Committee would like to receive clarification regarding your decision to take a leave of absence from XX College in the fall of 2009 and work for XX Corporation in XX. What were your motivations for taking the leave? We appreciate your enthusiasm for our institution, and we look forward to being able to continue our review of your candidacy for admission pending this outstanding matter.
Best wishes going forward....."

Anyone received anything similar to this???
Any idea on what this means? A soft ding/defer?

Appreciate any inputs!

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:27 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”