Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shanemahsa

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:33 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:I didn't know this thread existed... now another thread to stalk. Anyway, ohai guyz!

Edit: BTW the NYU guys are pretty awesome, definitely brought fun to the NYU thread and made waiting for decisions decidedly more bearable :)

Ohai. They seem like a very fun group - they turned that thread from everyone worrying to complete randomness which is definitely for the better 8)

So I suppose it is now our job to make this thread as tense and anxiety-inducing as possible...?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Kili wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:So I suppose it is now our job to make this thread as tense and anxiety-inducing as possible...?

Yes. I'm stuck in limbo until Fall Grades come out on the 22nd and then arrive at Columbia...T.T

I'm rooting for you guys that are still waiting! Hopefully this upcoming week will bring awesomeness to your cycles!

:shock: I really wanted to know by tonight. I'll be seeing half of my family tonight and they're going to want an update on my cycle. "I'm going to CLS" would have been so much easier than "I am ED supposed to hear back sometime this month, but I got into NYU, which is my second choice, so either way I'll probably be in NYC next year."

Doesn't sound that bad until you realize I have to repeat that 50 times in 2 hours. Anyway, after tonight, I just want to hear before Christmas 8).

Edit: I also wanted to rock a Columbia sweater tonight

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:01 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:I didn't know this thread existed... now another thread to stalk. Anyway, ohai guyz!

Edit: BTW the NYU guys are pretty awesome, definitely brought fun to the NYU thread and made waiting for decisions decidedly more bearable :)

Ohai. They seem like a very fun group - they turned that thread from everyone worrying to complete randomness which is definitely for the better 8)

So I suppose it is now our job to make this thread as tense and anxiety-inducing as possible...?

Well if this thread is tense and that thread is exciting and stress-relieving we could have a nice balance! :) I like the occasional seriousness. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one freaking out

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Ughhh. I want a Fall Grade Request!! (Could probably use one too).

BTW...from the other CLS thread...you've all been missed haha.

vertex wrote:Man, there are so many new people in the thread! Where did the old crew go? Shane? T6? picco? Joe?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Kili wrote:I can't follow the other thread. The Gossip Girl thing is giving me a headache.

+1

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:14 pm

calvmpv wrote:
Kili wrote:I can't follow the other thread. The Gossip Girl thing is giving me a headache.

+1

+1

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:47 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
calvmpv wrote:

+1

+1

I still have no idea what it is. I wiki'd it and apparently a show about privileged kids on the upper east side? :|

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:10 pm

It feels like it's been years since I got my fall grades request. I know I'm just being impatient, but now I might as well call it a "binding possibly slightly boosted decision" rather than an "early" decision. :(

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
calvmpv wrote:

+1

+1

I still have no idea what it is. I wiki'd it and apparently a show about privileged kids on the upper east side? :|

basically, pretty people doing stupid things.
but they're REALLY pretty.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:30 pm

beleaguer wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:I still have no idea what it is. I wiki'd it and apparently a show about privileged kids on the upper east side? :|

So it's...every show on the CW ever made?

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 am

wiseguy33 wrote:
beleaguer wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:I still have no idea what it is. I wiki'd it and apparently a show about privileged kids on the upper east side? :|

So it's...every show on the CW ever made?

...essentially, yeah. :lol:

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Has anyone received snail mail yet?

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:36 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Has anyone received snail mail yet?

not yet

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

I posted this in the regular Columbia thread but I'm afraid it might be lost amongst a sea of lolcats haha... but I have a theory - the first round of acceptances came out November 30th and the ED deadline was November 15th. That's 15 days between the receipt of applications to the sending out of acceptances. Now let's assume that 15 days is the standard amount of time that it takes for a round of admissions to go out. 15 days after November 30th is December 15th or WEDNESDAY. Thus, despite wishing otherwise, I predict that the second (and probably less forgiving round of admissions) will be in two days.

Just a theory, though! I'm sure this next batch of decisions will have a large number of rejections in it. In fact I'd have to guess that it'd be WELL over half rejections.

And to you Fall grade request people - keep your chins up, I know the waiting is tough but you guys are in a great position and will probably be accepted! :D

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:I posted this in the regular Columbia thread but I'm afraid it might be lost amongst a sea of lolcats haha... but I have a theory - the first round of acceptances came out November 30th and the ED deadline was November 15th. That's 15 days between the receipt of applications to the sending out of acceptances. Now let's assume that 15 days is the standard amount of time that it takes for a round of admissions to go out. 15 days after November 30th is December 15th or WEDNESDAY. Thus, despite wishing otherwise, I predict that the second (and probably less forgiving round of admissions) will be in two days.

Just a theory, though! I'm sure this next batch of decisions will have a large number of rejections in it. In fact I'd have to guess that it'd be WELL over half rejections.

And to you Fall grade request people - keep your chins up, I know the waiting is tough but you guys are in a great position and will probably be accepted! :D

If we assume 15 day batches, that means they would have to deliberately set aside the apps in two groups, but we haven't been able to figure out, at least yet, the criteria they used for that, correct? There didn't seem to be a pattern with the first group acceptances, i.e. I even saw a 168/4.0 acceptance which is by no means an auto-admit as some of the others might have been.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:04 pm

tagged

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nyckid

Postby nyckid » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Here's my theory: Everyone's pdf acceptance letters have been dated either Nov 30 or Dec 6, regardless of when they actually received the emails. December 6 was last Monday, November 30 was the previous Tuesday, but it was the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. My guess is they make decisions over the course of a week, then release them on the following Monday, but because of Thanksgiving they delayed an extra day.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but it's working for me.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:13 pm

nyckid wrote:Here's my theory: Everyone's pdf acceptance letters have been dated either Nov 30 or Dec 6, regardless of when they actually received the emails. December 6 was last Monday, November 30 was the previous Tuesday, but it was the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. My guess is they make decisions over the course of a week, then release them on the following Monday, but because of Thanksgiving they delayed an extra day.

I thought that even the 12/6 people (of which there are only 2 on LSN) had reported letters dated 11/30? Or am I wrong on this? (I could easily be wrong so don't take what I say as gospel!)

EDIT: I am wrong: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cdd009 This person notes that the letter was indeed dates 12/6. Never mind!

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Kili wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:I posted this in the regular Columbia thread but I'm afraid it might be lost amongst a sea of lolcats haha... but I have a theory - the first round of acceptances came out November 30th and the ED deadline was November 15th. That's 15 days between the receipt of applications to the sending out of acceptances. Now let's assume that 15 days is the standard amount of time that it takes for a round of admissions to go out. 15 days after November 30th is December 15th or WEDNESDAY. Thus, despite wishing otherwise, I predict that the second (and probably less forgiving round of admissions) will be in two days.

I'd hesitate to agree with this. The Nov 15th date is arbitrary. The first batch of acceptances were all/most early applications. Decisions were likely already rendered on their applications before some of us even applied.

That's true. I also didn't realize some decisions were indeed dated December 6th. If that's the case then my whole argument is tossed out the window haha. Either way I think you hit the nail on the head with the whole "The first batch of acceptances were all/most early applications" thing. I believe that despite what people seem to think, decisions for Columbia ED are rendered on a date of completion basis - though loosely. For example, there are people who went complete as late as November 30th I believe. The chances of a person like that getting a decision in the first round, no matter how good their stats are, are basically nonexistent. Thus if anyone here submitted late I wouldn't worry quite yet. In fact I wouldn't worry until you receive a small, non vomit-colored envelope from Columbia.

On a side note I am also very surprised that no one has received a rejection/waitlist yet. This week is when they should start to come in.

nyckid wrote:Here's my theory: Everyone's pdf acceptance letters have been dated either Nov 30 or Dec 6, regardless of when they actually received the emails. December 6 was last Monday, November 30 was the previous Tuesday, but it was the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. My guess is they make decisions over the course of a week, then release them on the following Monday, but because of Thanksgiving they delayed an extra day.

I like this one better than mine :) Today's the day! >.>

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 pm

:D

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

I have a final today @ 5. I plan on taking my laptop to class. I will check my email one last time at 4:59 before entering the room. If I am accepted, I plan on taking it easy during the exam :mrgreen:

If I get rejected, I'm planning on taking it twice as easy, haha.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”