Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nyckid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby nyckid » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:19 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
nyckid wrote:
Kili wrote:Hunger is the best spice. Hold on guys, we're just over halfway through December.


I called at least a week ago and they said it would be the first three weeks, which leaves Monday and Tuesday


Do they close on Wednesday for break?


No idea, but Tuesday is Dec 21 (and this was the 2nd FULL week of December after the partial week that the decisions started going out...I've been using this to justify thinking it would be today :( )

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby théo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:15 pm

I've been deferred as well...

Nola
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby Nola » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 pm

théo wrote:I've been deferred as well...


Were you deferred today? Email or snail mail?

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:52 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

cpaesq1215
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby cpaesq1215 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Hey, first post. Just wanted to say that I'm ED and still waiting also. 3.8 GPA (unimpressive UG), 171 LSAT (actually took it 3x... 170, 172, and 171, but I would assume they look at me as a 171). Good luck to everyone else.

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby théo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Question: how do you calculate the LSAC index for Columbia? I've been looking everywhere on their website for it, but can't seem to find it.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:24 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Kili wrote:
théo wrote:Question: how do you calculate the LSAC index for Columbia? I've been looking everywhere on their website for it, but can't seem to find it.


It's on your LSAC score report and you can see it on law school predictor. Or you can just pull up my spreadsheet and find your corresponding numbers in it, I've calculated it for you in there ;)

Dude you're a baller.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:06 pm

So dare I say that tomorrow is the day? :shock:

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby piccolittle » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm

shanemahsa wrote:So dare I say that tomorrow is the day? :shock:


Gotta be!!! Good luck to all of you - I'll be checking in so keep us posted :)

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:06 pm

If in 24 hours I still have not heard, I will be calling them -- again -- to voice my frustration.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:21 am

TLSNYC wrote:If in 24 hours I still have not heard, I will be calling them -- again -- to voice my frustration.

Lol nice

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:44 am

Did anyone receive any kind of notification today? I have an exam in about an hour and I would love for an excuse to blow it off LoL.

Edited to remove an inadvertent sexual innuendo.

User avatar
annie2010
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby annie2010 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:00 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Did anyone receive any kind of notification today? I have an exam in about an hour and I would love for an excuse to blow it off LoL.

Edited to remove an inadvertent sexual innuendo.


nada.. :|

I find this weird: I applied to CLS ED. I applied to NYU a week or so later. I heard back from NYU over a week ago.

Oh well, I can't complain. Also (not directed at anyone in particular), I'm not sure how fair it is to rip on CLS for their wacky ED admissions process, because the only reason we think that have been waiting a long time is because we all chat with each other. They told us we would find out in December, and they haven't broken that promise. So, don't be rude if you call them because they really haven't done anything wrong. For all we know they are busting their asses to get the decisions out ASAP.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:07 pm

annie2010 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Did anyone receive any kind of notification today? I have an exam in about an hour and I would love for an excuse to blow it off LoL.

Edited to remove an inadvertent sexual innuendo.


nada.. :|

I find this weird: I applied to CLS ED. I applied to NYU a week or so later. I heard back from NYU over a week ago.

Oh well, I can't complain. Also (not directed at anyone in particular), I'm not sure how fair it is to rip on CLS for their wacky ED admissions process, because the only reason we think that have been waiting a long time is because we all chat with each other. They told us we would find out in December, and they haven't broken that promise. So, don't be rude if you call them because they really haven't done anything wrong. For all we know they are busting their asses to get the decisions out ASAP.


Blatant adcomm ass-kissing.

User avatar
annie2010
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby annie2010 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:10 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
annie2010 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Did anyone receive any kind of notification today? I have an exam in about an hour and I would love for an excuse to blow it off LoL.

Edited to remove an inadvertent sexual innuendo.


nada.. :|

I find this weird: I applied to CLS ED. I applied to NYU a week or so later. I heard back from NYU over a week ago.

Oh well, I can't complain. Also (not directed at anyone in particular), I'm not sure how fair it is to rip on CLS for their wacky ED admissions process, because the only reason we think that have been waiting a long time is because we all chat with each other. They told us we would find out in December, and they haven't broken that promise. So, don't be rude if you call them because they really haven't done anything wrong. For all we know they are busting their asses to get the decisions out ASAP.


Blatant adcomm ass-kissing.


Oh are they reading?? You know it just crossed my mind that the christmas lights on campus look lovely at this time of year. And...that girl at the admissions front desk who took my ED contract was really nice and I liked her sweater. :)

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:13 pm

annie2010 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:
annie2010 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Did anyone receive any kind of notification today? I have an exam in about an hour and I would love for an excuse to blow it off LoL.

Edited to remove an inadvertent sexual innuendo.


nada.. :|

I find this weird: I applied to CLS ED. I applied to NYU a week or so later. I heard back from NYU over a week ago.

Oh well, I can't complain. Also (not directed at anyone in particular), I'm not sure how fair it is to rip on CLS for their wacky ED admissions process, because the only reason we think that have been waiting a long time is because we all chat with each other. They told us we would find out in December, and they haven't broken that promise. So, don't be rude if you call them because they really haven't done anything wrong. For all we know they are busting their asses to get the decisions out ASAP.


Blatant adcomm ass-kissing.


Oh are they reading?? You know it just crossed my mind that the christmas lights on campus look lovely at this time of year. And...that girl at the admissions front desk who took my ED contract was really nice and I liked her sweater. :)

:lol: :lol: but seriously, I hope we hear back today.

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby Lem37 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Hey all - CLS 2L here, used to be on TLS during my application season and wanted to check in on this thread because two of my friends are applying ED this season. I have nothing super-important to say except to ask you to please, please restrain yourselves from calling Admissions multiple times.

Believe me when I say that I understand your frustration. I went through this 2 years ago. However, you have to remember that Admissions is going through thousands of applications at the moment. I know that they told you December, but to be fair, it's only 2/3 of the way through the month, and the school is open all week, despite the fact that these people would probably rather be home with their families for the holidays.

Beyond those technicalities, calling doesn't seem to be particularly helpful. Have you ever heard of anyone calling CLS Admissions and them responding with, "OH, right, Ms. So-and-So, I have your application right here! Congratulations/sorry, etc."? My guess is that they tell you that they received many applications this year, that you'll hear back by the end of December, etc.

Anyway, again. I know how freaked, anxious, and frustrated you are. Just trust me when I say that calling them won't get you any closer to an answer. Hang in there, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Lem37 wrote:Hey all - CLS 2L here, used to be on TLS during my application season and wanted to check in on this thread because two of my friends are applying ED this season. I have nothing super-important to say except to ask you to please, please restrain yourselves from calling Admissions multiple times.

Believe me when I say that I understand your frustration. I went through this 2 years ago. However, you have to remember that Admissions is going through thousands of applications at the moment. I know that they told you December, but to be fair, it's only 2/3 of the way through the month, and the school is open all week, despite the fact that these people would probably rather be home with their families for the holidays.

Beyond those technicalities, calling doesn't seem to be particularly helpful. Have you ever heard of anyone calling CLS Admissions and them responding with, "OH, right, Ms. So-and-So, I have your application right here! Congratulations/sorry, etc."? My guess is that they tell you that they received many applications this year, that you'll hear back by the end of December, etc.

Anyway, again. I know how freaked, anxious, and frustrated you are. Just trust me when I say that calling them won't get you any closer to an answer. Hang in there, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.


Yeah, fair enough...I will not be calling, but sometimes I get so frustrated and since I have no leverage, the most powerful threat I have is thinking of calling. LoL.

They don't really have ED apps in the thousands do they? :shock:

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby Lem37 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:37 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Hey all - CLS 2L here, used to be on TLS during my application season and wanted to check in on this thread because two of my friends are applying ED this season. I have nothing super-important to say except to ask you to please, please restrain yourselves from calling Admissions multiple times.

Believe me when I say that I understand your frustration. I went through this 2 years ago. However, you have to remember that Admissions is going through thousands of applications at the moment. I know that they told you December, but to be fair, it's only 2/3 of the way through the month, and the school is open all week, despite the fact that these people would probably rather be home with their families for the holidays.

Beyond those technicalities, calling doesn't seem to be particularly helpful. Have you ever heard of anyone calling CLS Admissions and them responding with, "OH, right, Ms. So-and-So, I have your application right here! Congratulations/sorry, etc."? My guess is that they tell you that they received many applications this year, that you'll hear back by the end of December, etc.

Anyway, again. I know how freaked, anxious, and frustrated you are. Just trust me when I say that calling them won't get you any closer to an answer. Hang in there, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.


Yeah, fair enough...I will not be calling, but sometimes I get so frustrated and since I have no leverage, the most powerful threat I have is thinking of calling. LoL.

They don't really have ED apps in the thousands do they? :shock:


They definitely have ED apps in the hundreds, although I'm not sure of the exact number. However, most RD applicants send in their applications in October and November, and ED applicants are compared against RD applicants ("do we want to definitely give this spot to such and such ED'er, or do we want to keep it open for this potential RD'er, etc." - this is why there are "waves" of acceptances in the spring, since every school will "hold out," to an extent, for better applicants).

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Lem37 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Hey all - CLS 2L here, used to be on TLS during my application season and wanted to check in on this thread because two of my friends are applying ED this season. I have nothing super-important to say except to ask you to please, please restrain yourselves from calling Admissions multiple times.

Believe me when I say that I understand your frustration. I went through this 2 years ago. However, you have to remember that Admissions is going through thousands of applications at the moment. I know that they told you December, but to be fair, it's only 2/3 of the way through the month, and the school is open all week, despite the fact that these people would probably rather be home with their families for the holidays.

Beyond those technicalities, calling doesn't seem to be particularly helpful. Have you ever heard of anyone calling CLS Admissions and them responding with, "OH, right, Ms. So-and-So, I have your application right here! Congratulations/sorry, etc."? My guess is that they tell you that they received many applications this year, that you'll hear back by the end of December, etc.

Anyway, again. I know how freaked, anxious, and frustrated you are. Just trust me when I say that calling them won't get you any closer to an answer. Hang in there, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.


Yeah, fair enough...I will not be calling, but sometimes I get so frustrated and since I have no leverage, the most powerful threat I have is thinking of calling. LoL.

They don't really have ED apps in the thousands do they? :shock:


They definitely have ED apps in the hundreds, although I'm not sure of the exact number. However, most RD applicants send in their applications in October and November, and ED applicants are compared against RD applicants ("do we want to definitely give this spot to such and such ED'er, or do we want to keep it open for this potential RD'er, etc." - this is why there are "waves" of acceptances in the spring, since every school will "hold out," to an extent, for better applicants).

Jw... How do u know these specifics?

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby Lem37 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:46 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Hey all - CLS 2L here, used to be on TLS during my application season and wanted to check in on this thread because two of my friends are applying ED this season. I have nothing super-important to say except to ask you to please, please restrain yourselves from calling Admissions multiple times.

Believe me when I say that I understand your frustration. I went through this 2 years ago. However, you have to remember that Admissions is going through thousands of applications at the moment. I know that they told you December, but to be fair, it's only 2/3 of the way through the month, and the school is open all week, despite the fact that these people would probably rather be home with their families for the holidays.

Beyond those technicalities, calling doesn't seem to be particularly helpful. Have you ever heard of anyone calling CLS Admissions and them responding with, "OH, right, Ms. So-and-So, I have your application right here! Congratulations/sorry, etc."? My guess is that they tell you that they received many applications this year, that you'll hear back by the end of December, etc.

Anyway, again. I know how freaked, anxious, and frustrated you are. Just trust me when I say that calling them won't get you any closer to an answer. Hang in there, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.


Yeah, fair enough...I will not be calling, but sometimes I get so frustrated and since I have no leverage, the most powerful threat I have is thinking of calling. LoL.

They don't really have ED apps in the thousands do they? :shock:


They definitely have ED apps in the hundreds, although I'm not sure of the exact number. However, most RD applicants send in their applications in October and November, and ED applicants are compared against RD applicants ("do we want to definitely give this spot to such and such ED'er, or do we want to keep it open for this potential RD'er, etc." - this is why there are "waves" of acceptances in the spring, since every school will "hold out," to an extent, for better applicants).

Jw... How do u know these specifics?


Eh, these aren't really "specifics" - it's basically general knowledge. Applying for legal jobs in the public/private sectors is exactly the same process - they'll call back their "favorite" applicants first, try to entice them into accepting early, and then call back second and third waves later. Anyway, I applied to 20+ law schools two years ago and asked Admissions people things like this when I came to visit during Admitted Students Weeks. It's the same damn thing at every school.

Oh, another thing you should know is that many of the people on AdComms are professors at the law school. During the month of December, these people are (a) teaching classes, (b) creating exams, (c) grading exams, and (d) doing everything else they do, like writing academic papers, working at public interest organizations, and having a life, all in addition to reviewing applications (oh, by the way, at some schools, some of the AdComm members are law students who have classes and exams, etc). Getting them all to assess applications takes a while. Furthermore, the people you talk to on the phone are basically administrative receptionists and will have zero substantive information on your application.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Lem37 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:Jw... How do u know these specifics?


Eh, these aren't really "specifics" - it's basically general knowledge. Applying for legal jobs in the public/private sectors is exactly the same process - they'll call back their "favorite" applicants first, try to entice them into accepting early, and then call back second and third waves later. Anyway, I applied to 20+ law schools two years ago and asked Admissions people things like this when I came to visit during Admitted Students Weeks. It's the same damn thing at every school.

Oh, another thing you should know is that many of the people on AdComms are professors at the law school. During the month of December, these people are (a) teaching classes, (b) creating exams, (c) grading exams, and (d) doing everything else they do, like writing academic papers, working at public interest organizations, and having a life, all in addition to reviewing applications (oh, by the way, at some schools, some of the AdComm members are law students who have classes and exams, etc). Getting them all to assess applications takes a while. Furthermore, the people you talk to on the phone are basically administrative receptionists and will have zero substantive information on your application.


Lots of great info, thanks!

User avatar
annie2010
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby annie2010 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:02 pm

this thread needs lolcats




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”