Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swl56

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:32 pm

i didn't get anything either :cry:

at this point, i can only hope to get deferred sometime today... since a rejection seems quite likely in the mailbox after seeing all those numbers....

nyckid

Postby nyckid » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:33 pm

PuckCU06 wrote:Me too... if they've done acceptances an deferrals, the only thing left is straight rejections... this isn't good.

TLSNYC wrote:After this unfortunate wave, who's left waiting for decisions? Me, Annie, Ludwig, Wiseguy? Anyone else?

I'm still waiting too

EDIT: did any of the other people waiting get grade requests (I did not)

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 pm

PuckCU06 wrote:Me too... if they've done acceptances an deferrals, the only thing left is straight rejections... this isn't good.

TLSNYC wrote:After this unfortunate wave, who's left waiting for decisions? Me, Annie, Ludwig, Wiseguy? Anyone else?

Sad, but true. We could all be shown the door real soon.

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 pm

nyckid wrote:

I'm still waiting too

EDIT: did any of the other people waiting get grade requests (I did not)

no those people aren't included.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:47 pm

If they're all out of ED admits, I'd much rather be deferred than rejected, if only for my ego's sake.

Please don't ruin my Christmas, Columbia. :?

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:49 pm

annie2010 wrote:I know this probably won't make you feel better, but I'm really shocked that you didn't get in.....
What is up with that????? I'm so confused.

I'm really surprised. I cancelled my first LSAT so I guess that could be it (June 2010) but I don't have any disciplinary action. My softs are four years of volunteering during the summer, owning an incorporated business for four years, work three out of four years, and vice-president and editor of a publication so my softs definitely aren't bad. It must be my PS or cancelled LSAT score I guess.

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote: Sorry to hear that, bro. Those are really strong stats for ED. You're at/above median in both categories for RD. I'm sure you will get in some great law schools before it's all said and done, if not CLS via RD.

Yea I thought I was in. A family friend of mine if a CLS alumnus so I'm going to try to get a LOR from him and update my transcript a bit, maybe volunteer with another family friend who is a judge. CLS deferral is really just a rejection though so I feel like it's kind of wasted. Maybe NYU will throw some scholly money my way, that'd help make up for this :D

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Did you write a risky PS?

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 pm

thecilent wrote:Did you write a risky PS?

It was about how I have five siblings and how I've spent a significant amount of my UG caring for them and how that ties in to being a lawyer. I cracked one or two very light jokes (like calling my twin siblings "beastly two year olds") but nothing really risky at all. I'm truly shocked!!

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Hmm.. yeah, seems crazy.

All good, though. NYU is pretty legit anyway.

Also, great 'tar.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:01 pm

a bit late to be asking this question... but did everyone who applied ED write an additional optional essay for "Why Columbia" or attach a diversity statement?

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:02 pm

thecilent wrote:Hmm.. yeah, seems crazy.

All good, though. NYU is pretty legit anyway.

Also, great 'tar.

Yea I'm kinda relieved actually. Did you apply CLS? By the looks of your profile I might be seeing you at NYU.

coolymx

Postby coolymx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:03 pm

annie2010 wrote:so sorry :(
when did you get the email?

Lol ah well, it was a stretch anyhow. Got the email at 4:58pm EST.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Yeah I applied RD to CLS. CLS and NYU are my top two.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:05 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:

It was about how I have five siblings and how I've spent a significant amount of my UG caring for them and how that ties in to being a lawyer. I cracked one or two very light jokes (like calling my twin siblings "beastly two year olds") but nothing really risky at all. I'm truly shocked!!

Could it have something to do with your date of completion then? Perhaps CLS admitted too many people early on the ED cycle and needs to consider the late-comers in the context of the RD pool or something like that. Cuz by all accounts, you are a strong candidate for ED, doesn't seem to be any holes in your application.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:

Could it have something to do with your date of completion then? Perhaps CLS admitted too many people early on the ED cycle and needs to consider the late-comers in the context of the RD pool or something like that. Cuz by all accounts, you are a strong candidate for ED, doesn't seem to be any holes in your application.

I went complete 11/23. I sent out my application 11/12 via overnight mail so it just barely got there on time. So yea that could be it. People with weaker numbers were accepted after they would've seen mine though. I'm actually going to call CLS and ask them, I'm so confused. I figure I'm already deferred, what's the worst they can do?
Last edited by JoeShmoe11 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:09 pm

So are we assuming only rejections are left for tomorrow?

--ImageRemoved--

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 pm

4:58 Deferral. 165/171/171, 4.00 (from an unimpressive UG), Other Hispanic, strong softs, so a bit surprised but not shocked. Truth is, when I dedised to do ED, I didn't properly take into account the effect it would have on $$, so looking at it as a possible blessing in disguise. Good luck to the las of you guys waiting!

Btw, my friend got in yesterday ED with a 162/172 and a 3.88 from a top 15, in case anyone's interested (he doesn't post here or on LSN).

Are there stats on the ED's chances in April? My gut is if they don't want us binding, then unlikely that they'd end up taking us as free men, which may end up costing them more. Then again, maybe they just don't want to tie themselves down so early on a borderline candidate. Any stats?

Oh, and I submitted a DS, and I'm pretty sure that my PS and DS were strong and compelling but not risky. I got a generous compliment on my PS from an admissions committee member at another school. I did submit late 11/15 (11:30 PM :P ), and went complete 11/23.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Kili wrote:
Shloime wrote:4:58 Deferral. 165/171/171, 4.00 (from an unimpressive UG), Other Hispanic, strong softs, so a bit surprised but not shocked. Truth is, when I dedised to do ED, I didn't properly take into account the effect it would have on $$, so looking at it as a possible blessing in disguise. Good luck to the las of you guys waiting!

Btw, my friend got in yesterday ED with a 162/172 and a 3.88 from a top 15, in case anyone's interested (he doesn't post here or on LSN).

Are there stats on the ED's chances in April? My gut is if they don't want us binding, then unlikely that they'd end up taking us as free men, which may end up costing them more. Then again, maybe they just don't want to tie themselves down so early on a borderline candidate. Any stats?

Oh, and I submitted a DS, and I'm pretty sure that my PS and DS were strong and compelling but not risky. I got a generous compliment on my PS from an admissions committee member at another school. I did submit late 11/15 (11:30 PM :P ), and went complete 11/23.

I don't think there are stats. I might try to keep them in a spreadsheet like the acceptances to give future kids an idea of what to expect. If you still want CLS, I'd start working on a LOCI. A grades update would be a first step. Best of luck!!

What does one include in a LOCI? And would they accept a new (under the guise of "updated") PS/resume? Man though, April?! Not even January with everyone else! That's just rude :/

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:35 pm

I don't think there are stats. I might try to keep them in a spreadsheet like the acceptances to give future kids an idea of what to expect. If you still want CLS, I'd start working on a LOCI. A grades update would be a first step. Best of luck!![/quote]

Good idea with the spreadsheet, and good luck to you too! I will definitely work on an LOCI. Who knows, maybe before I get a chance to write one, Stanford will take notice of my 4.00 and softs :mrgreen:

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Kili wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:
What does one include in a LOCI? And would they accept a new (under the guise of "updated") PS/resume? Man though, April?! Not even January with everyone else! That's just rude :/

Here Joe. Found this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/appendixf.html

Because you were ED, you also have the opportunity to reaffirm your commitment to the school. I know Chicago does optional statements, not sure of CLS policy. I would definitely update the resume. I wouldn't rehash a personal statement, but maybe add a DS if there wasn't one before?

Thanks for the help, Kili! Gotta go over all that in-depth but I didn't write a DS - I will now, though. I couldn't find anything about reaffirming my commitment though. I assume by that you mean I can tell them that if they accept me I will definitely go (like ED)?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”