Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bryannance

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby bryannance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 pm

$1.99 wrote:i thought they can't tell you over the phone

Not to ask about whether I'm accepted, but just to see if there's any indication of the percentage of applicants that have been looked over thus far, percentage of ED acceptances made, etc. Gives me the ability to decide whether I should start editing my PS for NYU.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:51 pm

anyone else check their mail yet? i just did about an hour ago... nothing today again. what a surprise there!

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:55 pm

So I've been doing education verifications at work and today I had to verify a degree for someone who went to Columbia. Is this a sign? Is today THE DAY!?!?!?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:57 pm

swl56 wrote:anyone else check their mail yet? i just did about an hour ago... nothing today again. what a surprise there!

I'm sorry if you mentioned this already, but where do you live?

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 pm

i go to UD at cornell so i'm there right now... my address is changed on record starting tomorrow though because i'm going back home, which is in LI... does it make a difference? =\

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 pm

swl56 wrote:i go to UD at cornell so i'm there right now... my address is changed on record starting tomorrow though because i'm going back home, which is in LI... does it make a difference? =\

I don't think so, since you're close enough that you would find out fairly quickly either way. Anyways, the next 3 hours will be torturous.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

yeah, that's what i thought too... i'm still in NY so i was really surprised to find nothing in my mail box today...

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:47 pm

swl56 wrote:yeah, that's what i thought too... i'm still in NY so i was really surprised to find nothing in my mail box today...

I'm in NJ, nothing here either D:

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:50 pm

think today is another non-decision day or that we're all getting accepted? :wink:

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:14 pm

swl56 wrote:think today is another non-decision day or that we're all getting accepted? :wink:

Personally I think tomorrow is the day, specifically i think rejections will go out tmorrow or Saturday so that people cant call over the weekend . I'm also pretty anxious for the couple of people who said they would CALL to do so today.

EDIT: sorry for the confusion!
Last edited by JoeShmoe11 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:21 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
swl56 wrote:think today is another non-decision day or that we're all getting accepted? :wink:

Personally I think tomorrow is the day, specifically i think rejections will go out tmorrow or Saturday so that people cant call over the weekend . I'm also pretty anxious for the couple of people who saidthey would to do so today.

Why anxious?

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:24 pm

wait.. anxious for what? i didn't understand that statement lol.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:26 pm

bryannance wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:

Personally I think tomorrow is the day, specifically i think rejections will go out tmorrow or Saturday so that people cant call over the weekend . I'm also pretty anxious for the couple of people who saidthey would to do so today.

Why anxious?

Oops sorry, meant to say "people who said they would call" haha. Typing on a pblhone is such a pain.

Because if Columbia says 90% of ED admissions are out ill be a bit discouraged. I'd be happy if they said like70% or less.
Last edited by JoeShmoe11 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Okay, got it. I didn't know if you meant anxious on behalf of the people sticking their necks out there and calling or just nervous about the outcome.

Ha, welcome to the club, brother!

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:35 pm

i would love to get any information at this point... i feel like anything is better than this silence! i want to call too but off the top of my head, i have no question to ask lol

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm just going to ask how far through the acceptance phase they are. Knowing that they've notified 90% of their acceptances via email would be very helpful, because I could have this one professor finish up a LOR, and I could begin my NYU PS. My hunch is that they won't tell me, or the person I get in touch with doesn't have access to that information, but it's worth a try.

Anyone else ever called and found good information? Or is it usually just a secretary-level person who knows little?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Just called. The lady was a bit snippy with me when I tried to ask if I was definitely going to get a response this month. She curtly said, "Yes." When I asked for a more specific time frame, she replied, "Sometime this month." If anyone else does call today, either ask something not so direct about when to expect decisions, or hope you get somebody else. Good luck!

Edit: FWIW, definitely did not have to identify myself which is a good thing!

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:14 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Just called. The lady was a bit snippy with me when I tried to ask if I was definitely going to get a response this month. She curtly said, "Yes." When I asked for a more specific time frame, she replied, "Sometime this month." If anyone else does call today, either ask something not so direct about when to expect decisions, or hope you get somebody else. Good luck!

My guess is that this is too specific: "Do you think more than 3/4 of the ED acceptances have been notified by now, or are we not that far along yet?" But that's really what I want to know. What do you think?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

bryannance wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Just called. The lady was a bit snippy with me when I tried to ask if I was definitely going to get a response this month. She curtly said, "Yes." When I asked for a more specific time frame, she replied, "Sometime this month." If anyone else does call today, either ask something not so direct about when to expect decisions, or hope you get somebody else. Good luck!

My guess is that this is too specific: "Do you think more than 3/4 of the ED acceptances have been notified by now, or are we not that far along yet?" But that's really what I want to know. What do you think?

It might be specific, but then you could try to haggle any info out of her. I can't think of a less specific way to put the question that could guarantee some meaningful response. As long as you don't have to risk hurting your chances by identifying yourself, there's no harm in pushing their buttons a bit. Hell, they've been doing it to us! :x

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Somehow,I'm not surprised that we STILL haven't heard anything from them. Flipping Columbia, just reject me already! :evil:

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:12 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Somehow,I'm not surprised that we STILL haven't heard anything from them. Flipping Columbia, just reject me already! :evil:

I watched In Bruges last night. I feel like I'm in the middle of it right now. I'm dead. We're all dead. But it's a good show.

EDIT: Although, I don't think we're really all dead. More acceptances are coming, no question. But this is nuts.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:15 pm

bryannance wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Somehow,I'm not surprised that we STILL haven't heard anything from them. Flipping Columbia, just reject me already! :evil:

I watched In Bruges last night. I feel like I'm in the middle of it right now. I'm dead. We're all dead. But it's a good show.

EDIT: Although, I don't think we're really all dead. More acceptances are coming, no question. But this is nuts.

Yeah, unless, they want to dramatically reduce their class size without any forewarning, there are more admits, but the pace of the decisions is painstaking.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:17 pm

ugh! if i don't get anything today, i'll have to endure the walk to my mailbox yet AGAIN tomorrow!

and then if i get rejected tomorrow, i'll have a 5 hour drive back home to cry about it :cry:

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Soft rejection via e-mail- no admission for ED and will be reconsidered again in April. Very expected, so it's all good :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”