Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
T6Hopeful

Re: Columbia ED Waiting Thread

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 pm

On another note... man, LSN's Columbia acceptances sure do look lonely at 7. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them company soon :lol:

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:03 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:On another note... man, LSN's Columbia acceptances sure do look lonely at 7. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them company soon :lol:

+1. Last year, 16 ED acceptances, so I hope to God that there are a lot more coming out!

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:06 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:On another note... man, LSN's Columbia acceptances sure do look lonely at 7. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them company soon :lol:

+1. Last year, 16 ED acceptances, so I hope to God that there are a lot more coming out!

+1. Also I agree, we should move all ED discussion here because the guy that created this thread is awsome.

pppokerface

Postby pppokerface » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Just 16?! I thought it was supposed to be (even slightley) easier to get in (compared to RD).

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 pm

pppokerface wrote:Just 16?! I thought it was supposed to be (even slightley) easier to get in (compared to RD).

True, but I guess if you look at the numbers of people who ED, it's generally people who have a low shot at the next tier (HYS). Therefore, you're not going to see any 180 4.0's ED, because that would just be silly. The people who generally ED are either: a) people who want to "lock things up" and make sure they don't fall on the short end of a 75% chance at acceptance, b) people like me who are just at both medians, or slight splitters of some sort (174, 3.5; 170, 3.9), or c) people who are really just throwing a hail mary out and will most likely not get in either ED or RD.
Even among the first two demographics, many people will still hold off of EDing to compare money offers (and I don't blame them), while a slight few of them (all us crazy ED folk) are saying sure, we'll mortgage our lives to go to this institution.
When I did a quick search on LSN a few weeks ago, I did notice that as far as I could tell, nobody right at both medians was rejected (many people hit and even exceeded one but fell short on the other), and I'm guessing this is the logical "sweet-spot" to ED in.

So the TL;DR version is, if you consider WHO actually ED's, 16 spots (and of course, LSN is not completely representative of the overall class or even ED acceptances), that (multiplied by however many LSN is leaving out, which could bring the total up to even 40) is a pretty good portion of last year's 404 matriculants, although obviously not nearly as significant as a school like UVA's.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 pm

FWIW, I really feel like tomorrow HAS to be the day...I mean, they generally send out admits fairly in the month. Also, the decision dates graph seems to suggest that admits die down by the third week of december, so I really expect SOMETHING to happen tomorrow, even if it is admits mixed in with rejects and WLs. Or perhaps this is just my hope speaking as expectation.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 pm

TLSNYC wrote:FWIW, I really feel like tomorrow HAS to be the day...I mean, they generally send out admits fairly in the month. Also, the decision dates graph seems to suggest that admits die down by the third week of december, so I really expect SOMETHING to happen tomorrow, even if it is admits mixed in with rejects and WLs. Or perhaps this is just my hope speaking as expectation.

I sure hope so, but I'd gladly wait another couple days for an acceptance. The ends justify the means!

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Anyone receive emails or even snail mail with rejection/WL today?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Anyone receive emails or even snail mail with rejection/WL today?

Nothing yet... but I really don't want to jinx it!

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Did you guys see the post on the main thread claiming 60% of ED offers have already gone out?

Just if you want your daily dose of depressing news.

heyyyyyyyyy

Postby heyyyyyyyyy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:42 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Did you guys see the post on the main thread claiming 60% of ED offers have already gone out?

How on earth do/could we know this?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:47 pm

At least most of you have a decision from NYU to look forward to... I'm still sitting UR, which doesn't bode well for my chances at Columbia.

Hell, it's Friday isn't it? Who cares if I'm sick? I'm off to the corner shop to get a beer.

(PS just so you don't think I'm a complete wastrel, it's almost 9pm where I am. Though tbf 4pm sounds good enough to me.)

ETA: I realised I just made two posts about drinking on two different Columbia threads within two minutes.... don't judge. ;)

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:56 pm

heyyyyyyyyy wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:Did you guys see the post on the main thread claiming 60% of ED offers have already gone out?

I think the poster was referring to last year's cycle and proportions of admitted vs. dates and something to do with numbers. Don't trust me on things involving math; I'm a splitter. :roll:

heyyyyyyyyy

Postby heyyyyyyyyy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:58 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
heyyyyyyyyy wrote:

I think the poster was referring to last year's cycle and proportions of admitted vs. dates and something to do with numbers. Don't trust me on things involving math; I'm a splitter. :roll:

Ah. Gotcha. For our sakes, I hope s/he's wrong.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 pm

Oh my god. I just got a fall grades request. I may shoot myself.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:38 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:Oh my god. I just got a fall grades request. I may shoot myself.

Hey, at least you're still being considered! I think a fairly large number of people who got that request last year got in eventually.

I'm still in limbo...

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:47 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:Oh my god. I just got a fall grades request. I may shoot myself.

Hey, at least you're still being considered! I think a fairly large number of people who got that request last year got in eventually.

I'm still in limbo...

I think you're right. I just feel like my school is so slow to send out stuff though, that I may not hear back until RD applicants do as well. They ask for you to "send us a report of your fall term grades by email," which I don't really know what that entails... do I just say (right after I get the official grades), I'm getting three A's and a Satisfactory (part of a year-long class)? Why even bother if they want an official transcript sent anyway?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:59 pm

I have migrated here from the regular thread because it is so busy there! D: Everything is moving so fast

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:02 am

JoeShmoe11 wrote:I have migrated here from the regular thread because it is so busy there! D: Everything is moving so fast

That's what I said! It jumped way faster in an hour than it has in a week.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:05 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Kili wrote:HUGE speculation here, so don't flame me for this.

If you check the email correspondence from Columbia, the Fall Grades email is the first to be directly from the Dean of Admissions. I would guess that this means our applications are pretty far in the admissions process and that fall grades will complete them. I'm too lazy to hunt him down, but I remember one of the LSN Columbia applicants being admitted within a week of submitting his grades. Also, I recall some (possibly all as not everyone returned to report) ED apps w/grades requests being admitted after turning in fall grades (from last year's thread). My guess is this bodes very well for applications.

Any thoughts?

Edit: All speculation, don't let me get your hopes up.

Everything Ive seen in the threads for the past two years points to grade requests being a very good thing so I suspect those of you who received them should be happy. Just own this round of finals and hope for the best! :)

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:51 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 am

I didn't know this thread existed... now another thread to stalk. Anyway, ohai guyz!

Edit: BTW the NYU guys are pretty awesome, definitely brought fun to the NYU thread and made waiting for decisions decidedly more bearable :)

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:09 pm

shanemahsa wrote:I didn't know this thread existed... now another thread to stalk. Anyway, ohai guyz!

Edit: BTW the NYU guys are pretty awesome, definitely brought fun to the NYU thread and made waiting for decisions decidedly more bearable :)

Ohai. They seem like a very fun group - they turned that thread from everyone worrying to complete randomness which is definitely for the better 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”