University of Nebraska 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: University of Nebraska 2011

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
I don't understand the criticisms you've made in the last few threads. You seem really jaded.

You can take it as an insult or a compliment. If the average student at UNL is of lower acumen than the average student at Iowa, then yes, you would be more competitive at UNL.

While LSAT & GPA are not entirely indicative of law school performance, they are the BEST indicators of performance. It's up to you, but I personally would attend a school where I know I could without a doubt be top 15%

Coming out of Iowa top 30% would get you less attractive employment prospects than being top 15% at UNL.

This is completely incorrect. Top 30% at Iowa will leave you much better employment prospects than top 15% at UNL. Top 30% at Iowa means potential for jobs in Chicago, with many options in Des Moines, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Minneapolis. Top 15% at UNL means... Lincoln? Omaha? Sioux Falls?

PS - There is not a single school where any of us can "without a doubt be top 15%". Don't kid yourself, there are no guarantees. You've NEVER taken a law school exam, so how can you possibly say that "without a doubt"?

I have taken a law school exam but I haven't taken one in Law school (parent was a former law professor). I wasn't implying the OP was going to be top 15% but they seemed pretty sure of themselves and their performance despite their mediocre numbers.

However, top 15% at UNL will get you over 100k starting in Omaha or Lincoln at a midsize firm or a midsize KC or Denver.

UNL doesn't place well in Sioux Falls but neither does Iowa that's pretty much dominated by USD same being said for Sioux City.

Iowa doesn't have great Minneapolis placement, that area is dominated by UofM, Hamline, Billy Mitchell, and St. Thomas, and right now it is saturated beyond belief- go check out the disgruntled WM & Ham grad threads in the employment forum. If you take the top 15% at all those schools and throw them into the market in Minneapolis there isn't much room for Iowa grads to come in- especially one who is only top 30%. It's even worse since you're competing against kids from Wisconsin who do place well in Minneapolis.

Also, top 30% won't get you a job in Chicago unless you plan on going small law- but even then it wouldn't matter where you went to school since small law isn't selective. Because that market is saturated with lawyers the way it is, you're not getting into the door at an upper level firm without having been top 10-15% at Iowa with solid WE / LR, there are way too many laid off lawyers and local grads there competing for positions.

When talking about regional schools, it doesn't matter where you go as much as how well you do. Firms out side of Iowa and Nebraska are going to look at your rank and involvement to determine whether they will offer you the job. Top 15% at UNL will get you law review. Top 30% at Iowa won't. You are already disadvantaging yourself.

Don't forget that most of the legal world doesn't cater to USNews rankings- the section that does isn't going to employ you anyway since you didn't go to HYS or CCN. Go somewhere you can stand out. The reasoning I hear from nearly all lawyers is, I went to (insert rank 15-50 school here) but it didn't matter. You all use the same damn case books.

Here's an analogy. If you graduate for Harvard undergrad with a 3.4 and someone else graduates from your local state school with a 3.8 + leadership involvement which one is a more attractive candidate for law schools assuming both have the same LSAT score (both pass the state bar)?

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:28 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
I don't understand the criticisms you've made in the last few threads. You seem really jaded.

You can take it as an insult or a compliment. If the average student at UNL is of lower acumen than the average student at Iowa, then yes, you would be more competitive at UNL.

While LSAT & GPA are not entirely indicative of law school performance, they are the BEST indicators of performance. It's up to you, but I personally would attend a school where I know I could without a doubt be top 15%

Coming out of Iowa top 30% would get you less attractive employment prospects than being top 15% at UNL.

This is completely incorrect. Top 30% at Iowa will leave you much better employment prospects than top 15% at UNL. Top 30% at Iowa means potential for jobs in Chicago, with many options in Des Moines, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Minneapolis. Top 15% at UNL means... Lincoln? Omaha? Sioux Falls?

PS - There is not a single school where any of us can "without a doubt be top 15%". Don't kid yourself, there are no guarantees. You've NEVER taken a law school exam, so how can you possibly say that "without a doubt"?

I have taken a law school exam but I haven't taken one in Law school (parent was a former law professor). I wasn't implying the OP was going to be top 15% but they seemed pretty sure of themselves and their performance despite their mediocre numbers.

However, top 15% at UNL will get you over 100k starting in Omaha or Lincoln at a midsize firm or a midsize KC or Denver.

UNL doesn't place well in Sioux Falls but neither does Iowa that's pretty much dominated by USD same being said for Sioux City.

Iowa doesn't have great Minneapolis placement, that area is dominated by UofM, Hamline, Billy Mitchell, and St. Thomas, and right now it is saturated beyond belief- go check out the disgruntled WM & Ham grad threads in the employment forum. If you take the top 15% at all those schools and throw them into the market in Minneapolis there isn't much room for Iowa grads to come in- especially one who is only top 30%. It's even worse since you're competing against kids from Wisconsin who do place well in Minneapolis.

Also, top 30% won't get you a job in Chicago unless you plan on going small law- but even then it wouldn't matter where you went to school since small law isn't selective. Because that market is saturated with lawyers the way it is, you're not getting into the door at an upper level firm without having been top 10-15% at Iowa with solid WE / LR, there are way too many laid off lawyers and local grads there competing for positions.

When talking about regional schools, it doesn't matter where you go as much as how well you do. Firms out side of Iowa and Nebraska are going to look at your rank and involvement to determine whether they will offer you the job. Top 15% at UNL will get you law review. Top 30% at Iowa won't. You are already disadvantaging yourself.

Don't forget that most of the legal world doesn't cater to USNews rankings- the section that does isn't going to employ you anyway since you didn't go to HYS or CCN. Go somewhere you can stand out. The reasoning I hear from nearly all lawyers is, I went to (insert rank 15-50 school here) but it didn't matter. You all use the same damn case books.

Here's an analogy. If you graduate for Harvard undergrad with a 3.4 and someone else graduates from your local state school with a 3.8 + leadership involvement which one is a more attractive candidate for law schools assuming both have the same LSAT score (both pass the state bar)?

I'm just really curious where you came up with this 100k figure for the top 15% at UNL. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything, but I am looking at UNL as an option and am just curious as to where you got that number from.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 pm

ballboy899 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I'm just really curious where you came up with this 100k figure for the top 15% at UNL. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything, but I am looking at UNL as an option and am just curious as to where you got that number from.

My neighbor is a UNL 3L who just landed a job being ranked 28% or so in his class starting at 116k. Also have a family member who is a UNL law grad as well as an Iowa law grad so I get an earful of information on both sides of the aisle.

My family is disgustingly filled with lawyers.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 pm

typ3 wrote:or a midsize KC or Denver

Where are the UNL grads at the midsize Denver firms? I've scoured quite a few websites and haven't seen, well, any with a UNL pedigree. I'm not accusing you of exaggerating, just wondering with which firms they place in Denver.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
typ3 wrote:or a midsize KC or Denver

Where are the UNL grads at the midsize Denver firms? I've scoured quite a few websites and haven't seen, well, any with a UNL pedigree. I'm not accusing you of exaggerating, just wondering with which firms they place in Denver.

I'll try to get the alumni employment and clerk list and then I'll let you know specifics from my neighbor. Also, if you are going to be there for ASW you can talk to them about OCI. I do know that this last year there were significantly fewer firms from out of state, but there were still a few from Denver. According to a different 3L the number of Colorado firms recruiting were cut in half from one year to the next. The recession limited 2009's post grad options considerably, as it did at every school, but I would think your options should improve in 3-4 years.

If you want to go to Denver post grad, there isn't a substitute for DU or CU.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:38 pm

typ3 wrote:
This is completely incorrect. ......

No, it isn't. Iowa places better in Minneapolis, Kansas City, Chicago and Denver than UNL does. No matter how you spin it, top 30% at Iowa is a better deal in the long run than top 15% at UNL. Sorry.

Additionally, you're incorrect about law review. Law Review at Iowa is completely write on... Your class rank has nothing to do with it.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
This is completely incorrect. ......

No, it isn't. Iowa places better in Minneapolis, Kansas City, Chicago and Denver than UNL does. No matter how you spin it, top 30% at Iowa is a better deal in the long run than top 15% at UNL. Sorry.

Additionally, you're incorrect about law review. Law Review at Iowa is completely write on... Your class rank has nothing to do with it.

Chris this I why I love you. You're Iowa's biggest fan. I'm not sold that it is significantly better though in terms of $ coming out between the two assuming you're top 15% at UNL and top 30% at Iowa. You are more marketable to outside markets from Iowa but in term of dollars and cent, you would make as much in Omaha at a midsize firm as you would in Minneapolis, KC, or Chicago. You're not touching a biglaw firm being top 30% in those markets. You need top 10% with LR to get offers. If you were top 30% at Chicago I would say you have a legitimate shot.

Where you want to go, but if you go to Iowa wanting to practice in Minneapolis why wouldn't you go to one of the four law schools in the Twin-Cities. If you want to go to Stl why not go to WUSTL? Transplating doesn't make a lot of sense. Go to Nebraska if you want Omaha. Go to Iowa if you want Des Moines, Sioux City, Cedar Rapids or an outside shot at StL and a worse shot at Twin-Cities due to the endemic graduate saturation.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:31 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
No, it isn't. Iowa places better in Minneapolis, Kansas City, Chicago and Denver than UNL does. No matter how you spin it, top 30% at Iowa is a better deal in the long run than top 15% at UNL.

Chris this I why I love you. You're Iowa's biggest fan. I'm not sold that it is significantly better though in terms of $ coming out between the two assuming you're top 15% at UNL and top 30% at Iowa. You are more marketable to outside markets from Iowa but in term of dollars and cent, you would make as much in Omaha at a midsize firm as you would in Minneapolis, KC, or Chicago. You're not touching a biglaw firm being top 30% in those markets. You need top 10% with LR to get offers. If you were top 30% at Chicago I would say you have a legitimate shot.

Where you want to go, but if you go to Iowa wanting to practice in Minneapolis why wouldn't you go to one of the four law schools in the Twin-Cities. If you want to go to Stl why not go to WUSTL? Transplating doesn't make a lot of sense. Go to Nebraska if you want Omaha. Go to Iowa if you want Des Moines, Sioux City, Cedar Rapids or an outside shot at StL and a worse shot at Twin-Cities due to the endemic graduate saturation.

I definitely agree with you here. If you're looking short term, immediately out of law school, UNL top 15% will make the same money as Iowa 15-30%, give or take. From what I've heard, however, the long term name recognition from a top 30 over a tier 2 will help you beat out other people for promotions, new jobs, etc.

If you're not going to T14 and think that you are FOR SURE going to get a job outside of the schools regional market, you're kidding yourself (unless you're top 10%). I completely agree with that. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it's not a gamble worth taking.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Just got my admit packet today in the mail. 8K/yr scholarship. This makes things very interesting.

canam2011

Postby canam2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:55 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Just got my admit packet today in the mail. 8K/yr scholarship. This makes things very interesting.

did your status checker mention anything about a scholarship?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 pm

canam2011 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:Just got my admit packet today in the mail. 8K/yr scholarship. This makes things very interesting.

did your status checker mention anything about a scholarship?

It didn't, nor did the phone call I got from admissions. FWIW, I was originally deferred and only found out that I had been admitted last week.

canam2011

Postby canam2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Sweet. Same here... there is hope then.

Have yet to receive the packet in the mail.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Still no news for me:(. (was also deferred)

This cycle was a giant piece of shit..

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Anyone else go to ASW this weekend? I was there and am curious to hear your thoughts. I have to say that I felt the program for the weekend was one of the best I've seen and really considered student life from every angle.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:44 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Anyone else go to ASW this weekend? I was there and am curious to hear your thoughts. I have to say that I felt the program for the weekend was one of the best I've seen and really considered student life from every angle.

Nope. I was finally accepted there this weekend, but since I didn't even hear back from them before ASW and I live in Lincoln I likely won't be attending there. UNL was the slowest school in my cycle. Not to mention I have better offers, although they do have some great faculty IE Ammori, Lyons, etc.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:29 pm

USNWR 2011 now ranks Nebraska as 84 up from 93, tied with DePaul, LSU, and Rutgers. Sounds like a good day to become a 'Husker. Thoughts?

Edit: The link - http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+4

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Come on Nebraska, decide on me already :(

Ohiowick

Postby Ohiowick » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Come on Nebraska, decide on me already :(

+1

ryanw5520

Postby ryanw5520 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:48 pm

How are people receiving acceptances? I've heard a lot about phone calls but what about status checker and e-mails? What can I hope for in my status checker? And yes they are taking forever!!!!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:USNWR 2011 now ranks Nebraska as 84 up from 93, tied with DePaul, LSU, and Rutgers. Sounds like a good day to become a 'Husker. Thoughts?

Edit: The link - http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+4

Their ranking has been wildly erratic. I would say that they should settle out somewhere around 75. They should get more money as well because of continued money from stratcom.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 pm

ryanw5520 wrote:How are people receiving acceptances? I've heard a lot about phone calls but what about status checker and e-mails? What can I hope for in my status checker? And yes they are taking forever!!!!

I got a phone call, but the guy said it was because it was right before Christmas break and they didn't think my letter would get mailed until after everyone got back. Sounds like most people are via snail mail packet, with scholly $$$ in the packet too.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ryanw5520 wrote:How are people receiving acceptances? I've heard a lot about phone calls but what about status checker and e-mails? What can I hope for in my status checker? And yes they are taking forever!!!!

I got a phone call, but the guy said it was because it was right before Christmas break and they didn't think my letter would get mailed until after everyone got back. Sounds like most people are via snail mail packet, with scholly $$$ in the packet too.

I got a phone call first too and then got scholarship information in the packet via postal mail within a few days.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:22 am

DocHawkeye wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I got a phone call first too and then got scholarship information in the packet via postal mail within a few days.

This same here.

EmB501

Postby EmB501 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm

My status checker originally said "initial review complete. The admissions committee would like to review more applicants before rendering a decision" or something like that. Now it says "initial review complete. an admissions decision is forthcoming". Any thoughts on what this means? I sent a LOCI right after the first status change.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

EmB501 wrote:My status checker originally said "initial review complete. The admissions committee would like to review more applicants before rendering a decision" or something like that. Now it says "initial review complete. an admissions decision is forthcoming". Any thoughts on what this means? I sent a LOCI right after the first status change.

I too was deferred initially. I've got the exact same situation. Anyone know? My initial thought was that a rejection is on the way (because most accepted have received calls), but then I started to wonder. Their use of a word like "forthcoming" makes me think either (a) they're about to make a decision (forthcoming to them and me) or (b) they've already made a decision and it's on it's way to me (forthcoming to only me).

I'm sure I'm reading way too much into this.

My cycle has been a massive failure (although I should have expected that going in) and my interest in law school for next year has diminished. I'm thinking I'm a perfect candidate for the "wait a year and retake the LSAT" option.

sorry 'bout the rant..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”