University of Nebraska 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: University of Nebraska 2011

Postby typ3 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:32 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I also just got waitlisted at Nebraska.. 3.51/ 154.

Does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist? Should I write an LOCI?

I'd really like to attend.

Are you in state or OOS?

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 am

Out of state, but I'm originally from Nebraska. I expected a flat out rejection, so I wasn't really considering it as an option. If there's a situation where the economics of it made sense, I'd go. It probably won't though. It's likely the only non t3 I'll get into.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:43 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Out of state, but I'm originally from Nebraska. I expected a flat out rejection, so I wasn't really considering it as an option. If there's a situation where the economics of it made sense, I'd go. It probably won't though. It's likely the only non t3 I'll get into.

Write a LOCI and send it in after the march deadline for applications.

You'll likely get in then.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Would it make sense to pay out of state sticker? My other two options are likely to be idaho (instate) and gonzaga (small scholarship?).

I also will have a working spouse, and a 30k family contribution towards tuition housing, etc.

Would the prestige of nebraska trump the better short term financial situations of the other two? (At least idaho). I originally planned to practice in the inland nw or idaho, but nebraska/midwest is fine too.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Would it make sense to pay out of state sticker? My other two options are likely to be idaho (instate) and gonzaga (small scholarship?).

I also will have a working spouse, and a 30k family contribution towards tuition housing, etc.

Would the prestige of nebraska trump the better short term financial situations of the other two? (At least idaho). I originally planned to practice in the inland nw or idaho, but nebraska/midwest is fine too.

If you want to practice and life in Nebraska go to Nebraska. If you want to live in Idaho go to Idaho.

Nebraska places better in Kansas City and Denver than Idaho does.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:19 pm

typ3 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:Would it make sense to pay out of state sticker? My other two options are likely to be idaho (instate) and gonzaga (small scholarship?).

If you want to practice and life in Nebraska go to Nebraska. If you want to live in Idaho go to Idaho.

Nebraska places better in Kansas City and Denver than Idaho does.

TITCR. The best thing you can do for yourself (unless you get into a T14, or maybe a Tier 1 school) is go to the most cost responsible school in the region you want to practice in, IMHO.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Also, I know I wont qualify for merit scholarships, but what chance do I have to get some sort of tuition waiver with a 3.51 and a 154?

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:27 pm

got a call congratulating me today and telling me an admittance packet was being sent out
but no mention of scholarship and i wasnt really thinking and completely forgot to ask..did anyone else get a call with no mention of scholarship? and if you did get one, did you end up getting a scholarship in your offer?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 pm

ballboy899 wrote:got a call congratulating me today and telling me an admittance packet was being sent out
but no mention of scholarship and i wasnt really thinking and completely forgot to ask..did anyone else get a call with no mention of scholarship? and if you did get one, did you end up getting a scholarship in your offer?

When I got my call in December they specifically mentioned my scholarship...

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 pm

ballboy899 wrote:got a call congratulating me today and telling me an admittance packet was being sent out

When they called me they told me about my scholarship. What are your numbers?

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:30 pm

158/3.3
i wasn't really expecting much of anything in terms of scholarship, but i didn't see anyone who posted on here saying they got a call but also didn't get a scholly offer which is why i was curious after i got the call

apaint

Postby apaint » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:57 pm

I got a call in December with no mention of a scholarship but ended up receiving one when I got my admittance packet.

the mason nixon line

Postby the mason nixon line » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 am

The problem with Nebraska is they don't give full's to out of stater's as far as I know of.

Not sure how common this is, but I'm out-of-state and have been offered a full tuition scholarship.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:38 pm

the mason nixon line wrote:
The problem with Nebraska is they don't give full's to out of stater's as far as I know of.

Not sure how common this is, but I'm out-of-state and have been offered a full tuition scholarship.

What are your numbers?

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:40 am

Does anybody know if Nebraska offers travel stipends for admitted students who want to visit from out of state?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:53 pm

the mason nixon line wrote:

Pretty rare I think. I made my earlier statement after browsing through all of the reported applicants from prior years on LSN.

There were lots of applicants who received full at Iowa of MN but received only the difference between in state and out of state at UNL.

Idk, maybe things are different now with the space / telecom program, perhaps they have additional money to throw out.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:36 pm

In via telephone call this afternoon. This could be a game changer for me if I don't get into Iowa.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:In via telephone call this afternoon. This could be a game changer for me if I don't get into Iowa.

I'm still pulling for Iowa! Did they mention a scholarship or anything? My UNL caller said it over the phone, but he also said it was because it was right before Christmas break and he didn't think the letter would go out for a few weeks.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:In via telephone call this afternoon. This could be a game changer for me if I don't get into Iowa.

I'm still pulling for Iowa! Did they mention a scholarship or anything? My UNL caller said it over the phone, but he also said it was because it was right before Christmas break and he didn't think the letter would go out for a few weeks.

I didn't actually speak to the caller - she left a message for me and sounded somewhat flustered. She didn't say anything about a scholarship in the message but she did tell me that I should expect a packet in the mail in the next several days. We'll see if it says anything. If they don't come forth with an offer, I'm hoping I might be able to leverage something with my small scholarship from Penn State.

It would be nice to get an offer from Iowa.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:13 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I didn't actually speak to the caller - she left a message for me and sounded somewhat flustered. She didn't say anything about a scholarship in the message but she did tell me that I should expect a packet in the mail in the next several days. We'll see if it says anything. If they don't come forth with an offer, I'm hoping I might be able to leverage something with my small scholarship from Penn State.

I'm not sure Iowa's policy on offering money to waitlist candidates... But with in-state tuition to a top 30 school, it's still a great deal.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I'm not sure Iowa's policy on offering money to waitlist candidates... But with in-state tuition to a top 30 school, it's still a great deal.

At this point, I still don't have an offer of admission from Iowa. Such an offer, even at sticker price, would considerably cloud the issue.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:

At this point, I still don't have an offer of admission from Iowa. Such an offer, even at sticker price, would considerably cloud the issue.

While I don't want to offend you, but you would be more competitive as a student at UNL than you would be at Iowa. You might also want to consider post graduation options. Your QOL could be better coming out of UNL than Iowa.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

typ3 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

While I don't want to offend you, but you would be more competitive as a student at UNL than you would be at Iowa. You might also want to consider post graduation options. Your QOL could be better coming out of UNL than Iowa.

I'm not sure what you mean by any of this nor do I understand the basis upon which constructed your oh-so-well thought out conclusion but I do appreciate your capable insight.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:19 am

DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by any of this nor do I understand the basis upon which constructed your oh-so-well thought out conclusion but I do appreciate your capable insight.

I don't understand the criticisms you've made in the last few threads. You seem really jaded.

You can take it as an insult or a compliment. If the average student at UNL is of lower acumen than the average student at Iowa, then yes, you would be more competitive at UNL.

While LSAT & GPA are not entirely indicative of law school performance, they are the BEST indicators of performance. It's up to you, but I personally would attend a school where I know I could without a doubt be top 15%

Coming out of Iowa top 30% would get you less attractive employment prospects than being top 15% at UNL.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

typ3 wrote:
I don't understand the criticisms you've made in the last few threads. You seem really jaded.

You can take it as an insult or a compliment. If the average student at UNL is of lower acumen than the average student at Iowa, then yes, you would be more competitive at UNL.

While LSAT & GPA are not entirely indicative of law school performance, they are the BEST indicators of performance. It's up to you, but I personally would attend a school where I know I could without a doubt be top 15%

Coming out of Iowa top 30% would get you less attractive employment prospects than being top 15% at UNL.

This is completely incorrect. Top 30% at Iowa will leave you much better employment prospects than top 15% at UNL. Top 30% at Iowa means potential for jobs in Chicago, with many options in Des Moines, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Minneapolis. Top 15% at UNL means... Lincoln? Omaha? Sioux Falls?

PS - There is not a single school where any of us can "without a doubt be top 15%". Don't kid yourself, there are no guarantees. You've NEVER taken a law school exam, so how can you possibly say that "without a doubt"?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”