University of Nebraska 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
driftwood6

Re: University of Nebraska 2011

Postby driftwood6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Poodles,

Where do most 1Ls live? I have heard good and bad things about Lionsgate apartments near East Campus. Do people generally try and live around East Campus or do some look for apartments downtown/closer to City Campus? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:36 pm

driftwood6 wrote:Poodles,

Where do most 1Ls live? I have heard good and bad things about Lionsgate apartments near East Campus. Do people generally try and live around East Campus or do some look for apartments downtown/closer to City Campus? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was also wondering this. I also wanted to know if there were some students who decided to stay in the graduate housing on east campus.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't know of anyone who lives in student housing, which isn't to say NO one does...but not very many for sure. As for where people live, they really are all over the place. I know some people who live in the complexes near by and most don't seem to love it. But, parking costs a lot (like $500 for the whole year), so if you can walk, it may be worth it. I know people who share houses, or live in apartments near downtown or wherever. You can't really live in Lincoln and be more than like 20 minutes away. There's a decent number of students commuting from Omaha or wherever, also. Housing isn't really a big deal in Lincoln, although there definitely are the most places advertised around May when students are moving out.

dschunk

Postby dschunk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:12 am

Still on housing, how easy is it to find housing if I wait till July/August? I live in Omaha and want to postpone leaving so I can keep working and not have to pay $4 a gallon in gas while commuting. Also, are there a lot of people looking for roommates? I don't want to do the random assigned roommates like in UG.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am

Sentry wrote:I'm not going to Nebraska Law but I did my UG here and still live in Lincoln so I'd be glad to answer any questions about campus life/living in Lincoln.

I am looking at Arnold Heights Duplexes as an option for housing. I need a lot of space for next to no money - wife, 12 year old and a baby are coming with me and we'll be living almost solely on her income and some unemployment benefits. Any thoughts? I know they're a bit of a drive from the law school. Anyone know of any other similarly cheap options?

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Sentry wrote:I'm not going to Nebraska Law but I did my UG here and still live in Lincoln so I'd be glad to answer any questions about campus life/living in Lincoln.

I am looking at Arnold Heights Duplexes as an option for housing. I need a lot of space for next to no money - wife, 12 year old and a baby are coming with me and we'll be living almost solely on her income and some unemployment benefits. Any thoughts? I know they're a bit of a drive from the law school. Anyone know of any other similarly cheap options?

What's your price range? I'm assuming 2br? any pets?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Sentry wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

What's your price range? I'm assuming 2br? any pets?

No pets, minimum of two BR, prefer 3 (you can't really put a baby and a pre-teen in the same room), looking at $700 or less, and at $700, the landlord has to pick up some of the utilities. I would be willing to sign a longer lease if it meant lower rent, since we're planning to be in Lincoln for at least 3 years.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm on it.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:11 pm

--LinkRemoved--
Rentping has a lot of large, cheap properties in Lincoln. They're definitely worth checking out.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Sentry wrote:--LinkRemoved--
Rentping has a lot of large, cheap properties in Lincoln. They're definitely worth checking out.

thanks for sharing that sentry
I just sent in my deposit so I am officially coming there from the east coast. The only reason I'd live on campus is because I don't know anyone, however I know its probably a lot cheaper to live off. If there's anyone looking for a roommate just pm me because I know absolutely no one out there lol

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:41 pm

ballboy899 wrote:
Sentry wrote:--LinkRemoved--

thanks for sharing that sentry
I just sent in my deposit so I am officially coming there from the east coast. The only reason I'd live on campus is because I don't know anyone, however I know its probably a lot cheaper to live off. If there's anyone looking for a roommate just pm me because I know absolutely no one out there lol

Good to hear that I offically have one classmate. I lived in Lincoln a few years ago as a grad student and am looking forward to moving back. If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks DocHawkeye. I would PM you but I figured other people who are going to attend UNL and are interested in football would want to know this too. I was just reading over how to get tickets, etc. and was going to try to purchase them in the next couple of days. I read that you can either sit in the south or east part of the stadium I believe were the two choices, and I'm sure they both vary with who sits where, but I was just curious to know if you knew if the grad. students usually chose a particular one of those two choices.

Other than that though, do you know anything about the process of buying football tickets from them? Now that I decided to attend that's pretty much been my top priority of things to do lol

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:27 pm

ballboy899 wrote:Thanks DocHawkeye. I would PM you but I figured other people who are going to attend UNL and are interested in football would want to know this too. I was just reading over how to get tickets, etc. and was going to try to purchase them in the next couple of days. I read that you can either sit in the south or east part of the stadium I believe were the two choices, and I'm sure they both vary with who sits where, but I was just curious to know if you knew if the grad. students usually chose a particular one of those two choices.

Other than that though, do you know anything about the process of buying football tickets from them? Now that I decided to attend that's pretty much been my top priority of things to do lol

I don't know much about the whole football ticket situation. When I was there before, I only made it to one game. I'm afraid, due to budget issues, all of my football watching for the 2011 season will be on the television. Sorry I can't help more.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 am

I turned down my seat at Nebraska, and of all the offers I've declined, I'm saddest about UNL. Good luck to everybody next year!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:I turned down my seat at Nebraska, and of all the offers I've declined, I'm saddest about UNL. Good luck to everybody next year!

Where will you be going?

Also, a question - I know that UNL expressly states that anyone moving to Nebraska solely for education purposes is not entitled to in-state tuition. I will be moving there with my wife, who will be working full time, we will be "habitually residing" in Nebraska (even during the breaks), plan to enroll children in public school there, register the cars there, get Nebraska driver's licenses, and register to vote there. If we do all of this, will I be able to qualify for in-state tuition my second year?

Cuz that would rock.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:37 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Mr_Brightside wrote:I turned down my seat at Nebraska, and of all the offers I've declined, I'm saddest about UNL. Good luck to everybody next year!

Where will you be going?

Also, a question - I know that UNL expressly states that anyone moving to Nebraska solely for education purposes is not entitled to in-state tuition. I will be moving there with my wife, who will be working full time, we will be "habitually residing" in Nebraska (even during the breaks), plan to enroll children in public school there, register the cars there, get Nebraska driver's licenses, and register to vote there. If we do all of this, will I be able to qualify for in-state tuition my second year?

Cuz that would rock.

I'll be at Temple next year. I'm from the Philly area, and the instate tuition plus powerhouse alumni network in this area was too much to turn down. I was really tempted by UNL though, and the quality of life that Lincoln offers. I have no previous connection to UNL or the state, but based on everything I've heard and read and my exposure to the admissions staff, it was difficult for me to say no to them.

I'm sure that everybody attending this fall is in for a great three years. Good luck!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:06 pm

East stadium is only grad sÞÙdents and upper classmen south end zone is a crapfest for seats and is all fresh / sophs. Plan to be at the gates 1hr 45mins before the game in east to get decent seats. Rows 1-25. 1hr 30 mins to get 20- upper 30's and stay out of the overhang. There are tv's under it to see everything but it is so efn loud under it due to sound bouncing that your ears will literally hurt so much that the experience won't be enjoyable.

In short. Sit in East stadium. The crowd is by defacto older. Plan to be at the gate no later than 90 minutes before the game. 70 before kick off would be stretching it for seats that aren't awful.

Here's a tip for food since it tends to be spendy. After about 5 minutes into the 2nd half food from the outside vendors is normally slashed in half or something like 2 bucks. Lolo's (they like grills on both sides and have the best food around the stadium unless you want to cross into north bottoms for bbq, charge 2 bucks for brats. Normally they're 6. I would always eat a meal or pack a granola bar or something then binge after half time on the good stuff.
Last edited by typ3 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm

anyone going to UNL looking for a roommate? just feel free to pm me if you are.

dschunk

Postby dschunk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:06 pm

ballboy899 wrote:anyone going to UNL looking for a roommate? just feel free to pm me if you are.

Definitely considering a roommate, it is so much cheaper that way!!

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:03 pm

The place I'm living now would be fantastic for 2-3 roommates or a law student with a family. PM me for details. Also have very nice landlords.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Does anyone know the 1L book list? I want to avoid paying bookstore prices if possible.

Tyler Durden

Postby Tyler Durden » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:13 pm

I decided to apply towards the end of March. Just got a call this morning that I'm in...very nice way to wake up. I'm out in California, as is my girlfriend, so something like USD and Lewis and Clark (waitlisted to both) may happen, but the fact that I'm still a resident makes that in-state tuition look delicious.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Sat May 07, 2011 7:58 pm

It is my understanding that moving your family there won't be enough for in-state tuition...however, marrying a resident apparently is.

I missed the boat on the football ticket, but I also would've recommended East.

The book list will depend on your teachers and you probably haven't been assigned yet to teachers yet, so you'll have to wait. I think you find out in July, maybe? If so, you might still be able to order some, although some you'll have to buy on campus anyway (for example, if you get Kirst for Civ Pro, he makes his own casebooks). If you join SBA, you'll get 8% off at the bookstore...which, considering the first list of books is around or over $1000, is worth doing. You can't do that until August, I don't think. Some of the Legal Writing books should be optional, in my opinion.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun May 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Sent in my second deposit this week. I'm really getting excited about starting in the fall. Anyone else in?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 am

I got an email yesterday from the law school stating that there were no longer any stipluations on my scholarship other than remaining in good standing with the College of Law (i.e.: allowed to continue into the second or third years). This is awsome news! I am wondering if anyone else got a similar email. I can't wait to start class in a few weeks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”