Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:46 pm

I think a lot of people who write a sincere why msu essay have a good shot at money, as long as your numbers are competitive for it . Check their website uner sholarships to see what the minimum requirements are, so you will ahve a decent idea of how much to expect to be considerded for.

as for the idea about negotiating scholarships, I dont know. I would like to see the stipulation lowered or removed, but dont konw how to go around asking for it.

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby PurplePirate » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 pm

I emailed them a few days ago (politely) asking for more of a scholarship. They got back to me relatively quickly, and the scholarship committee put under re-review. They said I'd hear back in February. I've been very happy with MSU Admissions so far.

chalhou1
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby chalhou1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 am

how does the application checker status go?

It says application complete , does that mean a decision has been made? My stats are 158. 3.78 and I'm hoping for a 75% scholarship. will them reviewing it this late hurt my chances? I applied back in December and because the lady forgot to change my status thy are reviewing it now

User avatar
berkeleyman
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby berkeleyman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Just got the call.....in with a 50% scholly :D

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 pm

berkeleyman wrote:Just got the call.....in with a 50% scholly :D


Sweet! I am hoping to get in to. They gave me 3 weeks to submit the Why MSU essay, and I did it last week. Did you have to write one?

User avatar
berkeleyman
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby berkeleyman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
berkeleyman wrote:Just got the call.....in with a 50% scholly :D


Sweet! I am hoping to get in to. They gave me 3 weeks to submit the Why MSU essay, and I did it last week. Did you have to write one?


Yeah, I submitted it over the break, and then went complete again on 1/11.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:24 pm

berkeleyman wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
berkeleyman wrote:Just got the call.....in with a 50% scholly :D


Sweet! I am hoping to get in to. They gave me 3 weeks to submit the Why MSU essay, and I did it last week. Did you have to write one?


Yeah, I submitted it over the break, and then went complete again on 1/11.



Ruh oh! Same for me. Perhaps I will be hearing real soon then.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 pm

once I submitted my WHY MSU I went back into review. I heard the official acceptance a week and a half from when I sent the email.

User avatar
Iceman389
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 pm

about how long did it take for you guys to get the Why MSU essay e-mail? Ive been complete since 1/11 as well and been checking my e-mail since...

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

northwood wrote:once I submitted my WHY MSU I went back into review. I heard the official acceptance a week and a half from when I sent the email.



Hmm, I am still complete. One way or the other I will be hearing soon. I don't know if I have the stats for a 75% scholly though. My GPA is very high, but the LSAT is lower than they are looking for.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

I got it once I went under review. I think they send you the WHY msu essay if you qualify for a scholarship. Check the website and you will see where you stand.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Iceman389 wrote:about how long did it take for you guys to get the Why MSU essay e-mail? Ive been complete since 1/11 as well and been checking my e-mail since...



A couple weeks after I submitted I think. I don't know if everyone gets the email for the why MSU essay.

User avatar
Iceman389
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:40 pm

northwood wrote:I got it once I went under review. I think they send you the WHY msu essay if you qualify for a scholarship. Check the website and you will see where you stand.


I should qualify for an alumni merit scholarship based on my numbers so Ill keep a look out for the email I guess

Chouchous
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby Chouchous » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Iceman389 wrote:about how long did it take for you guys to get the Why MSU essay e-mail? Ive been complete since 1/11 as well and been checking my e-mail since...


I was in review for about 3 weeks, then I received the email for the essay and the status changed to 'pending scholarship statement', and I was admitted with a scholarship about 14 days after I submitted the additional essay.

User avatar
CSCS Trainer
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 am

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby CSCS Trainer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 pm

I didn't receive the "why MSU" email, but did receive a letter in the mail stating that I will be re-reviewed during the first 2 weeks of February. The letter then states, "I encourage you to supplement your application with additional materials that speak to your academic potential and your interest in Michigan State University for your legal education."

So part of me wants to write back and say look at my graduate degree transcripts that were included with my LSAC file if you want to see my academic potential.

On a serious note, however, I did submit a supplemental essay that talked about my undergraduate and graduate degrees, and my ability to maintain a 3.5 graduate gpa while working 70+ hour work weeks ( preparing education and training materials, conducting training classes, & traveling - 33 trips in '10 alone ), and raising 3 children under the age of 8 as a single father. What else would they like me to say?

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Just got the admit package… the scholly is a little bit sweeter than they described on the phone. 75% + $3500 my first year and then I can get 100% if I get a 3.8 my first year.

sizzlechest
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby sizzlechest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:11 pm

This is from 2006 but does have some useful information...start at pg 254

http://books.google.com/books?id=1IhyHj ... te&f=false

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:00 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(


Sorry if you've addressed this before, but what are your numbers? I got 1/2 tuition with 159/3.33.

(Edit for spelling. Oops!)

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:05 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(


Sorry if you've addressed this before, but what are your numbers? I got 1/2 tuition with 159/3.33.

(Edit for spelling. Oops!)


154 and a 3.93-> #1 in business school with a history of low standardized testing

I mean I know my LSAT sucks, but come on. Maybe he didn't mention it on the phone. I have to see.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(


Sorry if you've addressed this before, but what are your numbers? I got 1/2 tuition with 159/3.33.

(Edit for spelling. Oops!)


154 and a 3.93-> #1 in business school with a history of low standardized testing

I mean I know my LSAT sucks, but come on. Maybe he didn't mention it on the phone. I have to see.


Have you checked your status checker? Mine said "Admitted with Scholarship."

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:08 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(


Sorry if you've addressed this before, but what are your numbers? I got 1/2 tuition with 159/3.33.

(Edit for spelling. Oops!)


154 and a 3.93-> #1 in business school with a history of low standardized testing

I mean I know my LSAT sucks, but come on. Maybe he didn't mention it on the phone. I have to see.


Have you checked your status checker? Mine said "Admitted with Scholarship."


Application complete. I guess I will just check it again tomorrow and wait for the mail. What a disappointing day today. I have a lot of UG loans, so I can't afford full price anywhere.

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby PurplePirate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 pm

These are the numbers used to consider applicants for scholarships: http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/scholarships.html

I feel you on the poor standardized test-taking. I've had to fight that my entire life. You should email them about more of an offer once you've figured it all out. Best of luck

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm

PurplePirate wrote:These are the numbers used to consider applicants for scholarships: http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/scholarships.html

I feel you on the poor standardized test-taking. I've had to fight that my entire life. You should email them about more of an offer once you've figured it all out. Best of luck



I still need to do the FAFSA, but this sucks.. I should be getting something with that GPA. My LSAT is slightly off for the bigger scholarships, but still.. I guess I just need to wait to know for sure.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Postby angiej » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:26 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
PurplePirate wrote:These are the numbers used to consider applicants for scholarships: http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/scholarships.html

I feel you on the poor standardized test-taking. I've had to fight that my entire life. You should email them about more of an offer once you've figured it all out. Best of luck



I still need to do the FAFSA, but this sucks.. I should be getting something with that GPA. My LSAT is slightly off for the bigger scholarships, but still.. I guess I just need to wait to know for sure.


Not to get anyone's hopes up but I had been told verbally by two different people in their office of admissions that I would NEVER be considered for ANY scholarship because my LSAT was too low. Surprisingly, they've offered me a full-tuition Trustee's scholarship.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, ellielaw, Smc1994, studyingeveryday, texteach and 22 guests