Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
northwood

Platinum

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Post by northwood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:46 pm

I think a lot of people who write a sincere why msu essay have a good shot at money, as long as your numbers are competitive for it . Check their website uner sholarships to see what the minimum requirements are, so you will ahve a decent idea of how much to expect to be considerded for.

as for the idea about negotiating scholarships, I dont know. I would like to see the stipulation lowered or removed, but dont konw how to go around asking for it.

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 pm

I emailed them a few days ago (politely) asking for more of a scholarship. They got back to me relatively quickly, and the scholarship committee put under re-review. They said I'd hear back in February. I've been very happy with MSU Admissions so far.

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 am

how does the application checker status go?

It says application complete , does that mean a decision has been made? My stats are 158. 3.78 and I'm hoping for a 75% scholarship. will them reviewing it this late hurt my chances? I applied back in December and because the lady forgot to change my status thy are reviewing it now

berkeleyman

New

Post by berkeleyman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Just got the call.....in with a 50% scholly :D

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 pm

berkeleyman wrote:Just got the call.....in with a 50% scholly :D
Sweet! I am hoping to get in to. They gave me 3 weeks to submit the Why MSU essay, and I did it last week. Did you have to write one?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

berkeleyman

New

Post by berkeleyman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
Sweet! I am hoping to get in to. They gave me 3 weeks to submit the Why MSU essay, and I did it last week. Did you have to write one?
Yeah, I submitted it over the break, and then went complete again on 1/11.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:24 pm

berkeleyman wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
Yeah, I submitted it over the break, and then went complete again on 1/11.

Ruh oh! Same for me. Perhaps I will be hearing real soon then.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 pm

once I submitted my WHY MSU I went back into review. I heard the official acceptance a week and a half from when I sent the email.

Iceman389

Bronze

Post by Iceman389 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 pm

about how long did it take for you guys to get the Why MSU essay e-mail? Ive been complete since 1/11 as well and been checking my e-mail since...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

northwood wrote:once I submitted my WHY MSU I went back into review. I heard the official acceptance a week and a half from when I sent the email.

Hmm, I am still complete. One way or the other I will be hearing soon. I don't know if I have the stats for a 75% scholly though. My GPA is very high, but the LSAT is lower than they are looking for.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

I got it once I went under review. I think they send you the WHY msu essay if you qualify for a scholarship. Check the website and you will see where you stand.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Iceman389 wrote:about how long did it take for you guys to get the Why MSU essay e-mail? Ive been complete since 1/11 as well and been checking my e-mail since...

A couple weeks after I submitted I think. I don't know if everyone gets the email for the why MSU essay.

Iceman389

Bronze

Post by Iceman389 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:40 pm

northwood wrote:I got it once I went under review. I think they send you the WHY msu essay if you qualify for a scholarship. Check the website and you will see where you stand.
I should qualify for an alumni merit scholarship based on my numbers so Ill keep a look out for the email I guess

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Iceman389 wrote:about how long did it take for you guys to get the Why MSU essay e-mail? Ive been complete since 1/11 as well and been checking my e-mail since...
I was in review for about 3 weeks, then I received the email for the essay and the status changed to 'pending scholarship statement', and I was admitted with a scholarship about 14 days after I submitted the additional essay.

CSCS Trainer

New

Post by CSCS Trainer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 pm

I didn't receive the "why MSU" email, but did receive a letter in the mail stating that I will be re-reviewed during the first 2 weeks of February. The letter then states, "I encourage you to supplement your application with additional materials that speak to your academic potential and your interest in Michigan State University for your legal education."

So part of me wants to write back and say look at my graduate degree transcripts that were included with my LSAC file if you want to see my academic potential.

On a serious note, however, I did submit a supplemental essay that talked about my undergraduate and graduate degrees, and my ability to maintain a 3.5 graduate gpa while working 70+ hour work weeks ( preparing education and training materials, conducting training classes, & traveling - 33 trips in '10 alone ), and raising 3 children under the age of 8 as a single father. What else would they like me to say?

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Just got the admit package… the scholly is a little bit sweeter than they described on the phone. 75% + $3500 my first year and then I can get 100% if I get a 3.8 my first year.

sizzlechest

New

Post by sizzlechest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:11 pm

This is from 2006 but does have some useful information...start at pg 254

http://books.google.com/books?id=1IhyHj ... te&f=false

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:00 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(
Sorry if you've addressed this before, but what are your numbers? I got 1/2 tuition with 159/3.33.

(Edit for spelling. Oops!)

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:05 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Got the call today. Unfortunately, it was so quick and there was no mention of a scholarship. I got a 5k one at another T3 which shocked me. I thought I would be getting more. This is not good at all. Could I have truly gotten nothing at MSU? :(
Sorry if you've addressed this before, but what are your numbers? I got 1/2 tuition with 159/3.33.

154 and a 3.93-> #1 in business school with a history of low standardized testing

I mean I know my LSAT sucks, but come on. Maybe he didn't mention it on the phone. I have to see.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

154 and a 3.93-> #1 in business school with a history of low standardized testing

I mean I know my LSAT sucks, but come on. Maybe he didn't mention it on the phone. I have to see.
Have you checked your status checker? Mine said "Admitted with Scholarship."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:08 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

Have you checked your status checker? Mine said "Admitted with Scholarship."
Application complete. I guess I will just check it again tomorrow and wait for the mail. What a disappointing day today. I have a lot of UG loans, so I can't afford full price anywhere.

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 pm

These are the numbers used to consider applicants for scholarships: http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/scholarships.html

I feel you on the poor standardized test-taking. I've had to fight that my entire life. You should email them about more of an offer once you've figured it all out. Best of luck

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm

PurplePirate wrote:These are the numbers used to consider applicants for scholarships: http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/scholarships.html

I feel you on the poor standardized test-taking. I've had to fight that my entire life. You should email them about more of an offer once you've figured it all out. Best of luck

I still need to do the FAFSA, but this sucks.. I should be getting something with that GPA. My LSAT is slightly off for the bigger scholarships, but still.. I guess I just need to wait to know for sure.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:26 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
PurplePirate wrote:These are the numbers used to consider applicants for scholarships: http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/scholarships.html

I still need to do the FAFSA, but this sucks.. I should be getting something with that GPA. My LSAT is slightly off for the bigger scholarships, but still.. I guess I just need to wait to know for sure.
Not to get anyone's hopes up but I had been told verbally by two different people in their office of admissions that I would NEVER be considered for ANY scholarship because my LSAT was too low. Surprisingly, they've offered me a full-tuition Trustee's scholarship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”