Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
denada!

New

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Post by denada! » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 am

I received an email the other day stating:

As a result of a significant increase in our application volume for this year's incoming class, we would like to have from you a statement that describes your interest in MSU College of Law and how an MSU legal education might help you achieve the professional goals you have set for yourself.

Did anybody else get this?

ect88

New

Post by ect88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:51 am

denada! wrote:I received an email the other day stating:

As a result of a significant increase in our application volume for this year's incoming class, we would like to have from you a statement that describes your interest in MSU College of Law and how an MSU legal education might help you achieve the professional goals you have set for yourself.

Did anybody else get this?
Many of us did. I definitely suggest doing it, as a lot of people who do end up with very, very nice scholarships. It's their way of gauging if you're really interested in MSU or if you just applied as a safety/fee-waiver-what-the-hell.

WithoutMe

New

Post by WithoutMe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:28 am

For the "Re-review in Febuary" individuals, did anyone hear back yet?

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:22 pm

WithoutMe wrote:For the "Re-review in Febuary" individuals, did anyone hear back yet?
Mine still syas "Re-Review in February", but the letter they sent me said they would have a decision by the 15th.

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:40 pm

For those who already got admitted, when is the first seat deposit due and how much is it? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:51 pm

kartal wrote:For those who already got admitted, when is the first seat deposit due and how much is it? Thanks.
1 April. $350

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:37 pm

MSU must be the least organized law school of all. I've been receiving nearly weekly mailings enticing me to apply to their school. I have a stackful! The problem is, I was admitted with a full-tuition scholarship 4 months ago!

Though it is nice to know that "information provided by the Law School Admissions Council regarding [my] undergraduate record and performance on the LSAT" makes me a "strong candidate for admission to Michigan State University College of Law." I'm so glad they could put my worries at ease!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm

angiej wrote:MSU must be the least organized law school of all. I've been receiving nearly weekly mailings enticing me to apply to their school. I have a stackful! The problem is, I was admitted with a full-tuition scholarship 4 months ago!

Though it is nice to know that "information provided by the Law School Admissions Council regarding [my] undergraduate record and performance on the LSAT" makes me a "strong candidate for admission to Michigan State University College of Law." I'm so glad they could put my worries at ease!

+1

miazdc

New

Post by miazdc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 pm

northwood wrote:
angiej wrote:MSU must be the least organized law school of all. I've been receiving nearly weekly mailings enticing me to apply to their school. I have a stackful! The problem is, I was admitted with a full-tuition scholarship 4 months ago!

+1

+2. Nice work, Sparty.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm

miazdc wrote:
northwood wrote:

+1

+2. Nice work, Sparty.
Thanks! But to be honest I think I've ruled MSU out. Indy upped my scholarship and Notre Dame admitted me with 1/2 tuition and when I recently visited East Lansing, I wasn't as impressed as I hoped I'd be.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:59 pm

I hear you. I dont know how i feel about living in michigan after school. I got a great offer from some other schools, and im leaning toward those ( they're closer to my present location)

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Dinged via status checker today. Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Jdenniscpa

New

Post by Jdenniscpa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:18 pm

AlphaIncipiens wrote:Current Status: Awaiting Hard Copy From LSAC
Current Status Date: 1/27/2011

Does anyone know what this means?
I had this for another school I applied to and it was like a month after I submitted everything through LSAC. Anyway, in short, they weren't really missing my hard copy, they just used that as a way to put my application on hold until they dealt with something else on my application (residency in the case of the other school) so if it hangs around too long, call MSU and see if they are really waiting on a hard copy or not. I lost a month at reach school and I am sure it cost me any consideration there. FWIW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm actually kind of sad.

MSU stopped sending correspondence once I was admitted

qtcherrysyrup

New

Post by qtcherrysyrup » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:16 am

My status checker says "Admitted" since yesterday but no phone call or email... also, not mention of scholarship on the status checker =(
Really disappointed because I got a call from a current student back in early January asking if I had any questions about the school and then I submitted the "Why MSU" essay. I really hope I get some money from the school!

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 am

qtcherrysyrup wrote:My status checker says "Admitted" since yesterday but no phone call or email... also, not mention of scholarship on the status checker =(
Really disappointed because I got a call from a current student back in early January asking if I had any questions about the school and then I submitted the "Why MSU" essay. I really hope I get some money from the school!

This pretty much happened to me, and I got not one dime of money from them. I put my heart into the essay, and I am upset they had me do it now. I will be withdrawing, but I am going to take my sweet time doing so. If it does not say admitted with scholarship or if you do get a phone call and no money is mentioned, you will be out of luck. :(

qtcherrysyrup

New

Post by qtcherrysyrup » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 am

jaydizzle wrote:
qtcherrysyrup wrote:My status checker says "Admitted" since yesterday but no phone call or email... also, not mention of scholarship on the status checker =(

This pretty much happened to me, and I got not one dime of money from them. I put my heart into the essay, and I am upset they had me do it now. I will be withdrawing, but I am going to take my sweet time doing so. If it does not say admitted with scholarship or if you do get a phone call and no money is mentioned, you will be out of luck. :(
=( Thanks for the info! How long ago were you notified that you were admitted? I'm going to wait for the official letter to come in mail, I guess... but if no money, I'll be taking a slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww time withdrawing as well! 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 am

qtcherrysyrup wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:

=( Thanks for the info! How long ago were you notified that you were admitted? I'm going to wait for the official letter to come in mail, I guess... but if no money, I'll be taking a slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww time withdrawing as well! 8)

It was some time in the middle of January. I waited just like you for the official letter to come. I just can't believe I got nothing. People with 157s and 3.5s are getting money, and I have an LSAT below a 157 and a really high GPA and I get shit. I applied since I liked their Canadian dual JD program. The prospect of getting money made me like the school more. You will probably get a phone call today from the Dean or whoever calls. I would ask right when the person calls if you got money because they would know. Make them feel uncomfortable over the phone. :D Can you PM me your stats?

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 am

Does anyone know if you have to pay the seat deposit even if you were offered a full scholly?

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Unless you are honestly considering the school please withdraw. I already have. You will be hurting no one except other prospective students.

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Does anyone know if you have to pay the seat deposit even if you were offered a full scholly?
April 1, I believe

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Leo_Law

New

Post by Leo_Law » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:Unless you are honestly considering the school please withdraw. I already have. You will be hurting no one except other prospective students.
+1 You said it much better than I wanted to.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Leo_Law wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:Unless you are honestly considering the school please withdraw. I already have. You will be hurting no one except other prospective students.
+1 You said it much better than I wanted to.

Don't worry, I am mailing it really soon. I was just being a dick because I am still bitter about it.

huttom84

New

Post by huttom84 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Just got admitted with scholarship via status checker....though i can't imagine the scholly is gonna be that great with my 155 LSAT...

mora6577

New

Post by mora6577 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Has anyone visited the campus? What did you think?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”