Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Joeazpa

New

Re: Any Michigan State 2011 Applicants

Post by Joeazpa » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Accepted for fall of next year w/ 75% tuition scholarship. I year off sounds kind of nice and so does the scholarship. Anyone else considering this deferred acceptance?

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

Joeazpa wrote:Accepted for fall of next year w/ 75% tuition scholarship. I year off sounds kind of nice and so does the scholarship. Anyone else considering this deferred acceptance?
I'm going to attend a T1 this cycle instead. They only offered me 50% though, for 75% or more i would have considered waiting. Too much money to pass up.

Donovan

New

Post by Donovan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Joeazpa wrote:Accepted for fall of next year w/ 75% tuition scholarship. I year off sounds kind of nice and so does the scholarship. Anyone else considering this deferred acceptance?
This sounds ridiculously exciting, congratulations!

Joeazpa

New

Post by Joeazpa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
I'm going to attend a T1 this cycle instead. They only offered me 50% though, for 75% or more i would have considered waiting. Too much money to pass up.

Thanks and good luck at the T1!

Donovan

New

Post by Donovan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Does anybody know if there's a closer airport than Detroit? I'm really not looking forward to paying expensive cab fare.

Or, is there a train that runs from Detroit to Lansing? I'll be taking my bicycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Donovan wrote:Does anybody know if there's a closer airport than Detroit? I'm really not looking forward to paying expensive cab fare.

Or, is there a train that runs from Detroit to Lansing? I'll be taking my bicycle.
There's an Airport in Lansing. I think your flight will cost more, though.

Flanker1127

New

Post by Flanker1127 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Donovan wrote:Does anybody know if there's a closer airport than Detroit? I'm really not looking forward to paying expensive cab fare.

There is a Spartan Shuttle that runs from Detroit Airport to MSU and they do offer student discounts. I want to say round trip costs 55 dollars for a round trip ticket. It's called the Michigan Flyer. Here's the website: http://www.michiganflyer.com/

Donovan

New

Post by Donovan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Flanker1127 wrote:

There is a Spartan Shuttle that runs from Detroit Airport to MSU and they do offer student discounts. I want to say round trip costs 55 dollars for a round trip ticket. It's called the Michigan Flyer. Here's the website: http://www.michiganflyer.com/

Whooooaaa, thanks so much for that! That's a huge help!!

Thanks to MSU for that, too, I suppose.

Flanker1127

New

Post by Flanker1127 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:22 pm

No worries. I was in a similar boat when I scheduled my visit to the ASD. I would have taken the michigan flyer but I would have had to wait about 2 hours at the airport because of the time my flight landed. I ended up using priceline to rent a car which cost me about 45 dollars total for 3 days plus about 20 bucks for gas which ended up being better than the shuttle because I used the car to look for housing.

Where you flying in from?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Donovan

New

Post by Donovan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Flanker1127 wrote:No worries. I was in a similar boat when I scheduled my visit to the ASD. I would have taken the michigan flyer but I would have had to wait about 2 hours at the airport because of the time my flight landed. I ended up using priceline to rent a car which cost me about 45 dollars total for 3 days plus about 20 bucks for gas which ended up being better than the shuttle because I used the car to look for housing.

Where you flying in from?

I'll be flying in from San Francisco, CA so I'm trying to get as much info as I can since I can't afford to visit ahead of time. I've considered renting a car but I won't be returning to the airport.

caveman2

Bronze

Post by caveman2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:37 pm

3.3, 152
Applied in March and waitlisted for eternity. Just got the news June 20 that I FINALLY got in! I was in tears I was so happy. The waiting really took a toll on me. To stay on the waiting list for like three rounds and never to get good news.....then finally a beacon of light. I had given myself up to the reality that I would have to go to Valparaiso. Such a good day! Can't wait to see you all in the Fall (unless Villanova pulls a fast one on me and comes out of the blue with an acceptance off the waitlist...but I'm not holding my breath).

leonak

New

Post by leonak » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:32 pm

I made my decision kind of late... is anyone still looking into housing? I've never been to the area. where is everyone living/looking at living?

caveman2

Bronze

Post by caveman2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:06 am

I just figured out my housing a couple of weeks ago. Living at College Town (used to be called Dove's Crossing, I think). It's great. Not too terribly expensive for a single room apartment and it covers everything except electric. I even got them to throw in a free bus pass. Everywhere I looked for a cheap single room was a total dump and this place is actually decent. Also, wasn't looking for all the extra amenities (pool, sauna, gym, tanning) but the fact that they have it and it's not really much more than the dumpy places was a bonus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sizzlechest

New

Post by sizzlechest » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 pm

leonak wrote:I made my decision kind of late... is anyone still looking into housing? I've never been to the area. where is everyone living/looking at living?

I'm new to the area but was able to visit a few times and checked out a lot of options...Old Town (downtown Lansing) is an option and there are a couple of new loft style complexes near that neighborhood but nothing fit my budget...the admissions staff was really pushing the Okemos area...there is a clumping of apartments near a bus stop but without a car I felt stranded (Club Meridian & Knob Hill...someone else may be able to give you a firsthand review of living there)...there were some really nice condos for rent near those complexes on Fox Hollow Drive and Woodleaf Court in Okemos within walking distance to the bus stop I referenced above. I also looked at some condos on East & West Pond Drive in Okemos...they were OK but again I felt stranded.

I looked at a few single-family homes for rent in Lansing (there are a lot of them listed on Craigslist)...none were viable options.

I've been here a month and so far I'm very happy with this location.
Last edited by sizzlechest on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

caveman2

Bronze

Post by caveman2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Just found out I'm Section 1. Any other Section 1s out there? I also noticed that I only have 13 credits on my schedule...the writing class is missing. Does everyone else have that same problem? I thought that maybe the writing class was only a 1/2 semester class since it's only 2 credits and maybe isn't showing up quite yet...but wanted to be sure. Excited to meet everyone!

lolol10

Bronze

Post by lolol10 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:33 pm

anyone looking for a roommate? i kind of decided a little late that i am going. pm me if interested!

sizzlechest

New

Post by sizzlechest » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:24 am

caveman2 wrote:Just found out I'm Section 1. Any other Section 1s out there? I also noticed that I only have 13 credits on my schedule...the writing class is missing. Does everyone else have that same problem? I thought that maybe the writing class was only a 1/2 semester class since it's only 2 credits and maybe isn't showing up quite yet...but wanted to be sure. Excited to meet everyone!
My schedule only shows 13 credits as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolol10

Bronze

Post by lolol10 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:55 pm

im in section 1. my writing research and analysis shows on my schedule as1-150 w, 1-240 f.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:27 am

I was just looking at the new schedule all the 1Ls have, and I can't say I am a fan at all. Civ Pro and Contracts for two semesters seems like a must. Also, the fact that you have Crim Law in the Spring must mean Apol is no longer teaching. That is a loss for you guys because he was funny as hell. He had a whole career to get the jokes right for every case.

Leo_Law

New

Post by Leo_Law » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I just moved from Castle Pointe apartments to Chester apartments. It's awesome here because it is very quiet. There are only 32 apartments in the complex. It doesn't have all the amenities as other places, here, but residents can go to one of their sister communities for the pool and gym, etc. It is about 3 miles from campus and has a bus stop right there. They also pay for all utilities except for electric. Rent is under 600 per month for downstairs and just over 600 for upstairs. PM for any additional info....especially if you are thinking about getting one of these apartments so I can get a resident referral. :-)

leonak wrote:I made my decision kind of late... is anyone still looking into housing? I've never been to the area. where is everyone living/looking at living?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”