West Virginia 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Re: West Virginia 2011

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Solarae, you're my app buddy. A lot of the same schools, similar numbers, and two cats and love of silence. Anyway, are you definitely going to WVU? I'd say call the law school with the same info/question.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Hah, yes! If you are my brazilian male counterpart, you must be very good looking... =P

I haven't been accepted yet. I put my deposit at Duq but I'm still waiting for Pitt & WVU. I am daydreaming WVU offers me money or instate tuition or something.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Actually, I'm half Portuguese, so pretty close. I'm withdrawing from WVU, so you can take my spot. I have until April 21st for the deposit for Duquesne. Hopefully Pitt really will let us know on the 15th. Sorry to derail the thread. Back to WVU...

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Hey, I recognize you two^

I'm not applying to WVU but I thought I'd stick my nose in here & say that I was on the same flight as Bob Huggins (B-Ball coach for WVU) this weekend. He was like 4 seats in front of me & I counted every bottle of wine he downed....plus the beer :shock:

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Wactawshus wrote:Hey, I recognize you two^

I'm not applying to WVU but I thought I'd stick my nose in here & say that I was on the same flight as Bob Huggins (B-Ball coach for WVU) this weekend. He was like 4 seats in front of me & I counted every bottle of wine he downed....plus the beer :shock:
Don't worry, he has a full time driver.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Actually, I'm half Portuguese, so pretty close. I'm withdrawing from WVU, so you can take my spot. I have until April 21st for the deposit for Duquesne. Hopefully Pitt really will let us know on the 15th. Sorry to derail the thread. Back to WVU...
ah, sorry about that mixup!

nice job on the late deposit for Duq though.

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm

There are stories leaking out of the Rat Pack Lounge that indicate that Holgs will also be needing a driver.

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:05 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:

I was more impressed than concerned. It was a 1.5 hr flight. But that's good to know!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:

I was more impressed than concerned. It was a 1.5 hr flight. But that's good to know!
This amused me earlier and now. I envisioned it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SteveyY24

New

Post by SteveyY24 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:23 am

Hey guys...long time lurker here. I'm strongly considering WVU. I have two questions.
First, I know that the vast majority of WVU grads stay in WV, however, do any find work outside the state? (I have tried to research this but have come up empty.) Second, has anyone had any luck negotiating for more $ ?

any links or info would be greatly appreciated!

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:02 am

Just finishing up 1L here at WVU Law. Its been a great experience. Hope to see you all up on the hill next year!

lbeeman2007

New

Post by lbeeman2007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:28 am

cpajd wrote:Just finishing up 1L here at WVU Law. Its been a great experience. Hope to see you all up on the hill next year!
Great to hear from a 1L. Have any work lined up for the. Summer? Who is the professor that will make our 1L year hell?

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:49 am

lbeeman2007 wrote:
cpajd wrote:Just finishing up 1L here at WVU Law. Its been a great experience. Hope to see you all up on the hill next year!
Great to hear from a 1L. Have any work lined up for the. Summer? Who is the professor that will make our 1L year hell?
I don't think there are any that will make it hell, but certainly some are better than others. Some observations: Tom Cady for torts can seem like a jerk, but many find him quite amusing. John Fisher for property and Bowman for contracts are both excellent. Ashdown for Crimlaw follows the Socratic method to the point of being annoying, but is respected for his knowledge overall. Legal writing is a hassle probably no matter where you go, but just endure it (its a year long, graded course). There are a good mix of professors, some who've been there since the 60's and others that bring the young, progressive energy. I have no complaints, and overall would give my experience a pretty high mark. Already looking forward to next year's classes-- finally to the one's that I actually choose.

Job-wise for summer, I already have a position from before law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lbeeman2007

New

Post by lbeeman2007 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:27 am

cpajd wrote: I don't think there are any that will make it hell, but certainly some are better than others. Some observations: Tom Cady for torts can seem like a jerk, but many find him quite amusing. John Fisher for property and Bowman for contracts are both excellent. Ashdown for Crimlaw follows the Socratic method to the point of being annoying, but is respected for his knowledge overall. Legal writing is a hassle probably no matter where you go, but just endure it (its a year long, graded course). There are a good mix of professors, some who've been there since the 60's and others that bring the young, progressive energy. I have no complaints, and overall would give my experience a pretty high mark. Already looking forward to next year's classes-- finally to the one's that I actually choose.

That sounds pretty consistent with what I have heard from others. Also, that is great to hear that you were able to line up a summer position before school even started, I myself am in the same position,, but was hoping others were having luck.

Any tips or advice?

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 pm

lbeeman2007 wrote:
cpajd wrote: I don't think there are any that will make it hell, but certainly some are better than others. Some observations: Tom Cady for torts can seem like a jerk, but many find him quite amusing. John Fisher for property and Bowman for contracts are both excellent. Ashdown for Crimlaw follows the Socratic method to the point of being annoying, but is respected for his knowledge overall. Legal writing is a hassle probably no matter where you go, but just endure it (its a year long, graded course). There are a good mix of professors, some who've been there since the 60's and others that bring the young, progressive energy. I have no complaints, and overall would give my experience a pretty high mark. Already looking forward to next year's classes-- finally to the one's that I actually choose.

That sounds pretty consistent with what I have heard from others. Also, that is great to hear that you were able to line up a summer position before school even started, I myself am in the same position,, but was hoping others were having luck.

Any tips or advice?
I would say its a pretty laid back atmosphere, and not cut-throat by any means. I have yet to meet a classmate who hesitated to share or help out the neighbor. Of course, there are the high achievers in every class, but even they are pretty cool classmates (swapping outlines and the like). I'm sure there are those with less cordial attitudes, I just haven't encountered them I guess.

You'll find that there is a large WV resident contingent, and if you're staying in state its cool to know that these are the folks that you'll be dealing with in the future (the WV bar is a small one and many of the folks you'll see in your career graduated from WVU law). But if you're from out of state, you'll notice there are a lot of great students from pretty impressive undergrad institutions from other parts of the country as well. I seem to run into a lot of Virginia residents I guess from its close proximity, so at least in the current school make-up you'll see a representation from classmates who come from UVA, William & Mary, and Va Tech (can't stand to see the maroon and orange during football season).

I don't know if you've visited but the law school campus is set apart from the rest of the University pretty much, so we have everything to ourselves. Our library is not going have undergrad interlopers taking up space. They continue to improve the law schools facilities with major renovations the past few years (also we just got our Starbucks in the building opened a couple months ago), and I've come to know they are planning to expand the law building it in the not so distant future. So if you come, there will lots to look forward to. Football and basketball seasons are also a lot of fun if you like to follow top notch sports programs with good national exposure.

My words of advice are just enjoy the summer, maybe read some of the books others have recommended on this site, and get in a good mental state to do work next fall. The work's not so much hard as it is time-consuming from all the reading. Most people put in the hours that it takes to do well and still find plenty of time to enjoy life.

TheLadyStampede

New

Post by TheLadyStampede » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Does anyone know if theres a facebook group for class of 2014 yet?

always206

New

Post by always206 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:42 pm

When will WVU review pooled applicants? This is taking forever..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cwarrior57

New

Post by Cwarrior57 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:56 pm

What does pooled mean? Any and all information is needed.thanks

Cwarrior57

New

Post by Cwarrior57 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:49 pm

always206 wrote:When will WVU review pooled applicants? This is taking forever..
I called today and spoke to Tina in admissions and she said the pooled applicants will go through a final review next week and get their response by May 11.

Champion of the Sun

New

Post by Champion of the Sun » Tue May 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Just got in from the pool via status checker. I got into two other schools with some $ and I'm waiting to hear from my reach that waitlisted me, otherwise, Wvu is my likely destination.

Cwarrior57

New

Post by Cwarrior57 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Champion of the Sun wrote:Just got in from the pool via status checker. I got into two other schools with some $ and I'm waiting to hear from my reach that waitlisted me, otherwise, Wvu is my likely destination.

Just got in as well from the pooled list via online status checker. West Virginia is my highest ranking school and looks like my destination. But I'm still waiting for 2 more schools. See you in Morgantown

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jtb00711

Bronze

Post by jtb00711 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Cwarrior57 wrote:
Champion of the Sun wrote:Just got in from the pool via status checker. I got into two other schools with some $ and I'm waiting to hear from my reach that waitlisted me, otherwise, Wvu is my likely destination.

Just got in as well from the pooled list via online status checker. West Virginia is my highest ranking school and looks like my destination. But I'm still waiting for 2 more schools. See you in Morgantown
Glad to hear others are attending as well. My concern now is to locate football and basketball tickets! Oh yeah and an apartment :roll:

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Tue May 03, 2011 7:40 pm

jtb00711 wrote:
Cwarrior57 wrote:

Glad to hear others are attending as well. My concern now is to locate football and basketball tickets! Oh yeah and an apartment :roll:
If you have questions about specific apartments or landlords, PM me and I can try and help.

Football tickets are an online lottery the week before games. Lottery is weighted based on passed attendance (so seniors have a better chance than freshman...not sure if grad students get bonus points or not). Its unlikely you will have trouble getting tickets next year, since we should be having a bit of a rebuilding year.

Student seating for basketball games is first come first serve.

All other games are for anyone that shows up (men's soccer is always a good time).

Cwarrior57

New

Post by Cwarrior57 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:52 pm

West Virginia is tier 2 now. Wow. I'm hype. Now to find housing.

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Congratulation to all of you. We'll see you next year!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”