West Virginia 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Re: West Virginia 2011

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Before I even applied or took the LSAT, I called Tina and left a message and she called me back at most an hour later. Anyway, goodluck. If your IR status date changes suddenly, just know you will know soon.

Everyone else - I will be at the luncheon tomorrow.

hope11

Postby hope11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:17 pm

I got accepted 2 days ago but I will be attending UK hope someone in the waitlist can get in.

lbeeman2007

Postby lbeeman2007 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:37 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Before I even applied or took the LSAT, I called Tina and left a message and she called me back at most an hour later. Anyway, goodluck. If your IR status date changes suddenly, just know you will know soon.

Everyone else - I will be at the luncheon tomorrow.

I called Tina, she answered and was very helpful. I explained that I had seat deposits due and that WVU was my top. She reviewed my file on the spot and told me to call her personally Monday for a final "official" response before I waste money on a seat deposit elsewhere.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Sounds very positive to me.

lbeeman2007

Postby lbeeman2007 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Sounds very positive to me.

Here's to hoping.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Well, people generally don't want to give out bad news or deal with it and I very much doubt she would have told you to call back Monday if you didn't have a very good shot. Anyway, I went to the ASL today and actually spoke to her very briefly and she seemed nice and straightforward. Btw, I won't be attending, but WVU seems like a nice law school that is very willing to help their students.

BlazedBillyMaze

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:10 pm

The ASD was legit. A lot of parents through. I wonder if that has anything to do with the abundance of boomerang kids. Food was nothing amazing. The panel was good. The Reed Smith Alum was cool. Overall, I was pleased.

solarae

Postby solarae » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 pm

BlazedBillyMaze wrote:The ASD was legit. A lot of parents through. I wonder if that has anything to do with the abundance of boomerang kids. Food was nothing amazing. The panel was good. The Reed Smith Alum was cool. Overall, I was pleased.

lmao. what?! aren't boomerang kids older? why would older kids have their parents?!

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm

That speaks a lot about the quality of students a school like this attracts...Mommy please hold my hand to Con Law class, haha!!!!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Uh, maybe they wanted to go with someone and they don't have partners. I took my dad and I'm 26. Then again, my mother died of cancer this summer so perhaps I just have a different perspective on life and what equals maturity.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 pm

I feel for you and hope you are doing fine through the passing of your mother. I still hold to my comment, a I feel you may be one of the few exceptions to where you evaluate life from a unique prospective. The others prob. needed affirmation from their parents in a decision they are unable to make in confidence.

BlazedBillyMaze

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Uh, maybe they wanted to go with someone and they don't have partners. I took my dad and I'm 26. Then again, my mother died of cancer this summer so perhaps I just have a different perspective on life and what equals maturity.

I think you are probably a separate case. There were plenty of recent grads there with their parents for a lack of autonomy and unbreakable umbilical cords.

BlazedBillyMaze

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:18 pm

twairlines wrote:That speaks a lot about the quality of students a school like this attracts...Mommy please hold my hand to Con Law class, haha!!!!

From the other ASD days I attended, I get the feeling that our generation is bitchier. After attending 1 ASD that is a T30 and another is a Tier 1, I am pretty sure WVU is not an isolated occurrence. Moreover, IUB is kind of lame. Notre Dame has better students and more class. As far as the state of Indiana goes, ND hands down. Good luck competing with them for jobs.

mtnr

Postby mtnr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 pm

twairlines wrote:That speaks a lot about the quality of students a school like this attracts...Mommy please hold my hand to Con Law class, haha!!!!

I really wasn't all that put off by the number of parents there. I'm 28, married, have a 2 year old daughter, and have told my family from the get go that I am going to need their help. My mom wasn't there "holding my hand" but she was watching my daughter so I could be there. I'm under no delusions that I will be able to do this w/out their support. Even if I could, I don't know that I'd want to. I like the idea of having my own cheering section, supporting me no matter what. I assumed that most of the parents were naturally curious and wanted to know where their child might be spending the next three years.

As for "quality of students," I don't see how you can guage that from the fact that they have an involved family. Hopefully you will have somebody to vent to next year when you're struggling through your first year, other than your classmates who will be waiting for you to crash and burn. But I'm sure you will be one of the lucky ones who breezes through their first year without a care in the world. I wish you luck.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:36 pm

mtnr wrote:

I really wasn't all that put off by the number of parents there. I'm 28, married, have a 2 year old daughter, and have told my family from the get go that I am going to need their help. My mom wasn't there "holding my hand" but she was watching my daughter so I could be there. I'm under no delusions that I will be able to do this w/out their support. Even if I could, I don't know that I'd want to. I like the idea of having my own cheering section, supporting me no matter what. I assumed that most of the parents were naturally curious and wanted to know where their child might be spending the next three years.

As for "quality of students," I don't see how you can guage that from the fact that they have an involved family. Hopefully you will have somebody to vent to next year when you're struggling through your first year, other than your classmates who will be waiting for you to crash and burn. But I'm sure you will be one of the lucky ones who breezes through their first year without a care in the world. I wish you luck.

I don't know about ASDs, but I've done general tours and admissions meetings with and without my mom. It's definitely a lot easier without family, imo. This is the place where you're going to be spending 3 years, not your mom or your uncle or your third cousin. You don't need family pressure or bias to influence your decision. If you are already set on WVU and just going so everyone gets acquainted with the space, that's different, but if you're still undecided, it may be better to leave the folks at home.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 pm

BlazedBillyMaze wrote:

From the other ASD days I attended, I get the feeling that our generation is bitchier. After attending 1 ASD that is a T30 and another is a Tier 1, I am pretty sure WVU is not an isolated occurrence. Moreover, IUB is kind of lame. Notre Dame has better students and more class. As far as the state of Indiana goes, ND hands down. Good luck competing with them for jobs.

Being ND goes to Chicago as their main market and IUB has Indy and DC as their 2 main markets, I'll be more worried about competing with students from those schools who place well in those markets. I'll agree ND is a powerhouse and is probably one of 3 schools outside of the T14 that does really well due to name recognition. But, I'm wandering that T30 you visited 1. who 2. did you receive a large scholarship (near full tuition), or were you just lucky to even get in?; because if that's the case I can list 3 T20 acceptances that I received little $ from just to try and make a subtle impression as you did by mentioning a T30. Because if it's the former, then I'd really question why you are looking into WVU, unless you want to live in that state for at least your first couple of jobs. BTW, accepted to ND with 54k, which is extremely high as their very top applicants tend to top off at 60k (you would have to agree it would be hard to turn down 120k for the 23rd ranked law school in the nation, for another 23rd ranked school at half the offer). Best of luck to wherever you choose to go.

edited due to snarky remark
Last edited by twairlines on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:04 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
mtnr wrote:

I don't know about ASDs, but I've done general tours and admissions meetings with and without my mom. It's definitely a lot easier without family, imo. This is the place where you're going to be spending 3 years, not your mom or your uncle or your third cousin. You don't need family pressure or bias to influence your decision. If you are already set on WVU and just going so everyone gets acquainted with the space, that's different, but if you're still undecided, it may be better to leave the folks at home.

Thanks for generally saying what I wanted to without a joke. Guys, for everyone reading this, I made a joke which was intentionally sought out to undermine some decisions based on students, however....I was really questioning why one would do such a thing-aka let others partake on their decision. From my perspective most of the ASD's were more formal and the students didn't tote around their parents. Maybe WV invited family through your information packets or noted of it's casual nature, thus that would alter the dynamics of the event. So if I offended anyone, I'm sorry once again.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm

twairlines wrote:
BlazedBillyMaze wrote:

Being ND goes to Chicago as their main market and IUB has Indy and DC as their 2 main markets, I'll be more worried about competing with students from those schools who place well in those markets. I'll agree ND is a powerhouse and is probably one of 3 schools outside of the T14 that does really well due to name recognition. But, I'm wandering that T30 you visited 1. who 2. did you receive a large scholarship (near full tuition), or were you just lucky to even get in?; because if that's the case I can list 3 T20 acceptances that I received little $ from just to try and make a subtle impression as you did by mentioning a T30. Because if it's the former, then I'd really question why you are looking into WVU, unless you want to live in that state for at least your first couple of jobs.

As a native and also an admit to ND, I can tell you that a ND degree has WAY more clout than a WVU degree IN WEST VIRGINIA, let alone anywhere else.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Well, congrats fellas. You all have managed to turn this thread into a circus. Bravo.

BlazedBillyMaze

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:31 pm

twairlines wrote:
BlazedBillyMaze wrote:

Being ND goes to Chicago as their main market and IUB has Indy and DC as their 2 main markets, I'll be more worried about competing with students from those schools who place well in those markets. I'll agree ND is a powerhouse and is probably one of 3 schools outside of the T14 that does really well due to name recognition. But, I'm wandering that T30 you visited 1. who 2. did you receive a large scholarship (near full tuition), or were you just lucky to even get in?; because if that's the case I can list 3 T20 acceptances that I received little $ from just to try and make a subtle impression as you did by mentioning a T30. Because if it's the former, then I'd really question why you are looking into WVU, unless you want to live in that state for at least your first couple of jobs. BTW, accepted to ND with 54k, which is extremely high as their very top applicants tend to top off at 60k (you would have to agree it would be hard to turn down 120k for the 23rd ranked law school in the nation, for another 23rd ranked school at half the offer). Best of luck to wherever you choose to go.

Cool story bro

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 pm

It must have been the latter..sorry bro

jtb00711

Postby jtb00711 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 pm

To get things back on track, how much is rent for a place in Morgantown? Preferably 1BR apartment. I'd be open to the idea of living 5-10 mins outside of the town in a small house or something along that line. TIA

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:21 am

jtb00711 wrote:To get things back on track, how much is rent for a place in Morgantown? Preferably 1BR apartment. I'd be open to the idea of living 5-10 mins outside of the town in a small house or something along that line. TIA

check this thread, it was discussed a bit.

although since we're talking about it again, I wasn't totally satisfied with the options thrown out. I need the cheapest possible rent (400) and to take the bus to class. And not get mugged. Suggestions?

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 pm

I wouldn't worry about getting mugged in Morgantown, such instances are a rarity. In order to get a 1BR for under 500, your going to have to sacrifice either location or quality. Simple as that. Rent is still cheap compared to larger cities, but a decent 1BR in good location is going to cost over 500. However, if you find a roomate or two, then your cost is going to decline considerably. Stay away from undergraduate infested apartment facilities. I have lived here my entire life, and can tell you those places are a zoo 24/7. Please consider roomates and staying close to the law school.

solarae

Postby solarae » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 am

yea.. i wish i could have roommates. i may look into it. it's just that i have 2 cats and love silence.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”