West Virginia 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BlazedBillyMaze

Re: West Virginia 2011

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:They should like the Ruby connection. I have some friends finishing up their last semester of nursing rotations(?) at Ruby, and one that finished there in Dec, now works at Mon Gen.

I don't know about that either. Unless you wrote your PS about your fiance working as a nurse, I can't recall a portion of the application that solicits this information.There is a portion that inquires about family being from WV, but until you are married, the fiance does not fit that criteria. Kudos if you found a way to put it in your app and it worked for you.

The legal work in WV seems pretty solid. Good luck. Your LSAT is higher for WVU and I would like to see them raise their numbers a little and consequently their profile. The fact that the state budget is in the black (no hefty tuition hikes or funding issues) and WVU has the only law school in the state offers an opportunity for advancement/improvement in the student body, facilities, etc. I hope they seize the chance. - Especially in comparison to the numerous other state schools in a budget crisis who look to the law schools to improve their revenue stream with inflated tuition costs.

Tappie

Postby Tappie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 pm

For those of you who know the area a bit... is it a terrible idea to commute from Fairmont?

BlazedBillyMaze

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 pm

I don't think it is too bad. Fairmont is miserable though: sandwiched between Morgantown and Bridgeport (Two affluent areas), it is a red-headed stepchild.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Unless you already live there, I would advise against it. Morgantown traffic is awful; you'd waste an hour a day commuting and miss out on all night life. If you are worried about apartment costs, you can get places in Star City, South Park, or out Van Voorhis or West Run for less than downtown/sunnyside.

mtnr

Postby mtnr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:10 am

I'm planning on commuting from Clarksburg, but I'm staying w/family.

Tappie

Postby Tappie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 am

Well... I hate trying to rent because I have a 70 lb dog. It's very hard to find a place that will allow her and even if I do, it kills me to pay a ridiculously high non-refundable deposit when she hasn't damaged anything in her entire life (minus a few chew toys). Ideally I'd like to buy a house but it pains me to see the prices for Morgantown houses, they're definitely not worth as much as people are asking (at least in my opinion). I would hate to spend that much on a dumpy house I will probably want to sell in three years anyway. But I am worried about missing out on a social life and facing that daily drive from Fairmont. I'll just have to think about it I guess.

So... does anyone know of any rentals in Morgantown that allow large dogs?

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:56 am

BlazedBillyMaze wrote:
WVUguy11 wrote:Yep, I would say Mpj probably has a scholarship letter behind his acceptance in the envelope, and Beeman will be accepted within the next week and a half.

I don't know man. It's pretty late in the cycle. There is a mandate about OOS enrollment that caps it around 30%. Plus they threw out a lot of money during the first round of acceptances in Dec. It all depends on the yield at this point for both scholarships and acceptances. Nevertheless, I get the picture that WVU is a safety school for a lot of people. FWIW

Hopefully I will get some decent money, although I was accpeted pretty late in the cycle. The 3rd LOR took a bit longer than expected, but I was in review for over a month so hopefully that means they were deciding on money.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Tappie wrote:Well... I hate trying to rent because I have a 70 lb dog. It's very hard to find a place that will allow her and even if I do, it kills me to pay a ridiculously high non-refundable deposit when she hasn't damaged anything in her entire life (minus a few chew toys). Ideally I'd like to buy a house but it pains me to see the prices for Morgantown houses, they're definitely not worth as much as people are asking (at least in my opinion). I would hate to spend that much on a dumpy house I will probably want to sell in three years anyway. But I am worried about missing out on a social life and facing that daily drive from Fairmont. I'll just have to think about it I guess.

Some of the townhomes out West Run / Stewartstown Rd that cater more to professionals and the hospital folks allowed big dogs. Should be able to find something in South Park too. Morgantown's real estate market is high, but won't be falling anytime soon.

mtnr

Postby mtnr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Tappie wrote:Well... I hate trying to rent because I have a 70 lb dog. It's very hard to find a place that will allow her and even if I do, it kills me to pay a ridiculously high non-refundable deposit when she hasn't damaged anything in her entire life (minus a few chew toys). Ideally I'd like to buy a house but it pains me to see the prices for Morgantown houses, they're definitely not worth as much as people are asking (at least in my opinion). I would hate to spend that much on a dumpy house I will probably want to sell in three years anyway. But I am worried about missing out on a social life and facing that daily drive from Fairmont. I'll just have to think about it I guess.

I would also caution against buying, unless you are wanting to stay in the area after law school. I'm not sure about the real estate market in Morgantown, or Fairmont for that matter, but I grew up in Clarksburg and houses do NOT sell quickly at all. My brother-in-law's parents had their house on the market for 3 years before giving up. I'm not sure what Fairmont is like, but I would do your homework before purchasing anything.

lbeeman2007

Postby lbeeman2007 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 am

BlazedBillyMaze wrote:I don't know about that either. Unless you wrote your PS about your fiance working as a nurse, I can't recall a portion of the application that solicits this information.There is a portion that inquires about family being from WV, but until you are married, the fiance does not fit that criteria. Kudos if you found a way to put it in your app and it worked for you.

The legal work in WV seems pretty solid. Good luck. Your LSAT is higher for WVU and I would like to see them raise their numbers a little and consequently their profile.

I did include a short blurb in my PS about Why WVU and included my fiance's job (we'll be married before 1L starts). As much as I hate to admit it, I fooled around with getting all of my stuff together and banked on the fact that WVU should be a safety, so even late in the cycle I would be fine. Worst case scenario, I guess I'll just keep working full time for a year and send in my app Sept. 1.

I'm currently working for an attorney that mentored a big name at one of the more desirable firms in Morgantown, so I'm not worried about employment. I have an in.

Thanks again for the advice.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 am

mtnr wrote:

I would also caution against buying, unless you are wanting to stay in the area after law school. I'm not sure about the real estate market in Morgantown, or Fairmont for that matter, but I grew up in Clarksburg and houses do NOT sell quickly at all. My brother-in-law's parents had their house on the market for 3 years before giving up. I'm not sure what Fairmont is like, but I would do your homework before purchasing anything.

Obviously you'll want to do your hw, but property moves much faster in Morgantown. If youll still be in Wv and dont mind playing landlord, you can make a good bit going that route after graduation. The student population has risen so quickly that any nice house near downtown can find a tenant.

BlazedBillyMaze

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:47 am

lbeeman2007 wrote:
BlazedBillyMaze wrote:I don't know about that either. Unless you wrote your PS about your fiance working as a nurse, I can't recall a portion of the application that solicits this information.There is a portion that inquires about family being from WV, but until you are married, the fiance does not fit that criteria. Kudos if you found a way to put it in your app and it worked for you.

The legal work in WV seems pretty solid. Good luck. Your LSAT is higher for WVU and I would like to see them raise their numbers a little and consequently their profile.

I did include a short blurb in my PS about Why WVU and included my fiance's job (we'll be married before 1L starts). As much as I hate to admit it, I fooled around with getting all of my stuff together and banked on the fact that WVU should be a safety, so even late in the cycle I would be fine. Worst case scenario, I guess I'll just keep working full time for a year and send in my app Sept. 1.

I'm currently working for an attorney that mentored a big name at one of the more desirable firms in Morgantown, so I'm not worried about employment. I have an in.

Thanks again for the advice.

Well played sir on the PS. You should also call the UG admissions to see if marrying a WV resident will qualify you for in-state tuition. The law school will just refer you to that office anyway.

Tappie

Postby Tappie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
mtnr wrote:

Obviously you'll want to do your hw, but property moves much faster in Morgantown. If youll still be in Wv and dont mind playing landlord, you can make a good bit going that route after graduation. The student population has risen so quickly that any nice house near downtown can find a tenant.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Since I don't know the area it is very helpful. I'll have to research and crunch some numbers before doing anything but I do plan on staying in WV after law school. I wouldn't mind being a landlord. I'll just have to think about it, but thanks for the help!

lbeeman2007

Postby lbeeman2007 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Tappie wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:
mtnr wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Since I don't know the area it is very helpful. I'll have to research and crunch some numbers before doing anything but I do plan on staying in WV after law school. I wouldn't mind being a landlord. I'll just have to think about it, but thanks for the help!

One quick tip if you are looking to buy. AVOID UNIVERSITY COMMONS. It looks like a great deal, but the buildings are falling apart and tied up in so much litigation that you should avoid them like the plague. They are selling 4 B 4 Ba units for as low as 60,000 because people are trying to drop their interests as fast as possible. I myself planned to go look at a unit until someone told me about the problems. It seems too good to be true and, in this case, it really is.

Tappie

Postby Tappie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely avoid that place.

BlazedBillyMaze

Postby BlazedBillyMaze » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:48 am

Anyone get the Luncheon email? Anyone attending?

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Yes and Yes.

mtnr

Postby mtnr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Yes to both. Anybody planning on bringing a guest? I can't imagine it would be much fun for my wife.

lbeeman2007

Postby lbeeman2007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 pm

New week, still in review. Hopefully they are taking long because they have a big fat scholarship to offer me lol... :?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Amen to that.

lbeeman2007

Postby lbeeman2007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:41 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Amen to that.

Still waiting also? How are your numbers Hope? Residency?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:49 pm

No residency. 159 (only took once) and 3.18 (3.41) and some strong softs - e.g. ABA approved paralegal certificate with a 3.7, two jobs, and a 3.82 major GPA with mostly 400 level classes. I have been in review since 2/1.

lbeeman2007

Postby lbeeman2007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:No residency. 159 (only took once) and 3.18 (3.41) and some strong softs - e.g. ABA approved paralegal certificate with a 3.7, two jobs, and a 3.82 major GPA with mostly 400 level classes. I have been in review since 2/1.

I'd venture to say we'll get our decisions the same day (2/2) Best of luck to you!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

I agree and you too!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Well, someone updated LSN an hour or so ago and was rejected yesterday. They had a 148 LSAT score. Anyway, they said their complete date was 1/24, so I am guessing they went in review on that date. Just a timeframe about what WVU is doing for those of you who, like me, are still waiting (IR 2/1).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”