West Virginia 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Re: West Virginia 2011

Post by WVUCelticFan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm also available for any questions about Morgantown / WVU (not law school specific though)

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Does ayone, who has been keeping a keen eye on WVU's decision releases, have an idea of what day or days they tend to release infrormation?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:38 pm

I don't know, but my guess is for all the people who went into review sometime recently (end of January or beginning of February) that they are going to pool up our applications and then decide in the beginning of March. It seems, and I could be wrong, WVU does acceptances all at onces and takes a stack and pools (if I understand the meaning of the word "pool") them to see who they want and who they don't out of those apps.

I have no idea which day of the week that is though but for those who got accepted on December 8th, that was a Wednesday. I doubt it is consistent. I think you can see more consistency on the times of the cycle that they release info.

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 pm

I went into review later at Louisville, Cleveland State, and the same day at Toledo. I have decisions from the other schools. Having those puts my mind at ease, somewhat, though.

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 am

I sorta looked over this school in the past but I think I will apply today. It's pretty late but it's only an hour from where I want to be, and soo cheap! Also, it's got about the same national leverage (being zero) than the other schools I'm looking at, so why not. It might be the perfect fit for me. Hope I'm not too late for some money as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlazedBillyMaze

New

Post by BlazedBillyMaze » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Sent in my deposit today. Pretty stoked. 3.5x 158. Sent my app in Oct, admitted 12/8. Choose WVU(in-state) over USCarolina (oos), Kentucky (oos), Marquette, Case, and Loyola NO.

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Congrats man.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:15 pm

BlazedBillyMaze wrote:Sent in my deposit today. Pretty stoked. 3.5x 158. Sent my app in Oct, admitted 12/8. Choose WVU(in-state) over USCarolina (oos), Kentucky (oos), Marquette, Case, and Loyola NO.
Made a good choice regarding Case Western. I have a 15k a year scholarship and will be withdrawing because it still leaves you with 100k plus in debt.

BlazedBillyMaze

New

Post by BlazedBillyMaze » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:23 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:
BlazedBillyMaze wrote:Sent in my deposit today. Pretty stoked. 3.5x 158. Sent my app in Oct, admitted 12/8. Choose WVU(in-state) over USCarolina (oos), Kentucky (oos), Marquette, Case, and Loyola NO.
Made a good choice regarding Case Western. I have a 15k a year scholarship and will be withdrawing because it still leaves you with 100k plus in debt.
Thanks. The more that I looked at private schools; what they offer, what they charge, etc. It just doesn't seem worth it. If you are charging 40k per year, I want the job of my dreams guaranteed in blood. Outside of HYS, that just is not happening.
Last edited by BlazedBillyMaze on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mtnr

New

Post by mtnr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:35 pm

for those that were accepted, how long did it take for your acceptance packet to come in the mail? I was accepted 2 weeks ago via status checker, but still haven't rcvd anything.

BlazedBillyMaze

New

Post by BlazedBillyMaze » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Pretty fast: ~2 days. You should call admissions around 8:15 in the morning. You will be able to talk to someone to get some clarification. For those of you who are above the 75 percentile at WVU, where does WVU fall on your list of schools?

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 pm

pretty damn high if they ever accept me.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:55 pm

WVUguy11 wrote:pretty damn high if they ever accept me.

i told them to give you my seat and scholarship!!!!!!! whats taking them so long ( maybe they need to track down your actual name- but im not sure)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Phatslice

New

Post by Phatslice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm

BlazedBillyMaze wrote:Pretty fast: ~2 days. You should call admissions around 8:15 in the morning. You will be able to talk to someone to get some clarification. For those of you who are above the 75 percentile at WVU, where does WVU fall on your list of schools?
WVU was very high on my list, actually number one on my out of state schools. Unfortunately I have received significantly better scholarship offers from several other schools, one school actually was a lot more generous and higher ranked. Best of luck to those of you still waiting. Although I probably won't be going there ( due to money) I have nothing but good things to say about them. Every person I have talked to has been very nice :)

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Well Northwood, thats very generous of you. Thank you lol.

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Must have worked lol. In today via status checker. Finally!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 pm

congrats! its about time

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:43 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:I'm also available for any questions about Morgantown / WVU (not law school specific though)
I would love to know more about the city and quality of life. I don't know a thing about it!

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 pm

solarae wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:I'm also available for any questions about Morgantown / WVU (not law school specific though)
I would love to know more about the city and quality of life. I don't know a thing about it!
Morgantown is a great college town. I know we've been ranked as one of the best large towns in America the past few years. The unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the US. Campus is pretty spread out, with business and liberal arts downtown, Ag science and engineering about two-three miles up the main road, and the med center at the hospital (all forms a weird triangle shape. The law school is kind of in the middle, overlooking the football stadium. The school and town have a love-hate relationship with each other. Business owners make a ton of money off the students, and the low unemployment / success of the town is based heavily on the school. As the student population has risen though, the city council and a vocal minority of residents seem to try their best to make life hard (and expensive) for students. Parking is horribly expensive (for a small town) and cops ticket anyone and everyone they can.

Cost of living is relatively low (except for housing). I live in a two bedroom apartment downtown, with rent being $999 total (so ˜500 a month per person). Electric runs about 100 a month and water/sewer is 12 or so a month (Dirt cheap compared to my parents' house). A one bedroom downtown will probably cost you 550-750 a month. South Park is across Decker's Creek and is considerably quieter and a bit cheaper (My brother has a one bedroom next year for 550 including gas and water). There are apartments within walking distance of the law school, but I'm not sure what they would cost you.

Groceries seem reasonable. We have two Walmarts, three Krogers (the new one is amazing, and has almost anything you could want [so long as you remember that it is WV, not NYC]), and Aldi for very cheap groceries. Small but decent mall, Best Buy, Target, Old Navy, etc. Two movie theaters, both pretty modern. Three places to play golf close by (one nice, one poor but has a range, and one very nice but expensive).

Entertainment wise, the Creative Arts Center and Mountainlair host smaller acts, classical music, plays, etc. BoB came to the 'lair last fall. The Coliseum normally has a few big shows each semester. I went to OAR my sophomore year, and Snoop & Wiz are coming later this month. Fallfest is always the first Monday of fall semester and has at least one act for everyone. Akon, Common, Dashboard Confessional, Daughtry, Ludacris, and Girltalk have all been here in the past few years.

Football and basketball are the big sports, with the stadium having a larger population on gamedays than any city in the state. Soccer has started to draw crowds in recent years, and I always enjoyed going to watch. We worship Bob Huggins, hate RichRod and Michigan, and consider Pitt the scum of the earth (you'll understand when you're here).

The one thing you have to know is that WVU is a party school. I got a great education here, and know tons of smart people. However, even the hardest workers love to play hard. We have two very nice 21+ clubs, a nice mix of pubs and upscale bars, some good sports bars, some dives, and four or five crappy 18+ places. People won't give you too much grief if you don't drink, but if you have a problem with people drinking or being around it, your social life is likely to be stunted. Pong is serious business, and you should practice this summer if you aren't proficient (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GClnXjoaqxQ ).

I think that covers most things, but let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

I am not sure how many outdoor enthuiasts/sportmen are on tls, but Morgantown is a great place to be if your interested in that kind of stuff also. I hunt and fish during the fall and spring/summer, and never have to travel any further than an hour or two do do so. If you like to bike, there are trails that cover substantial milage within the Morgantown area (rail trail- used to be a lot more railroad tracks, but have ben removed and paved over). Healthcare is the best in the state. Pittsburgh is an hour away with Washington P.A.'s Outlett stores 45 mins away. Coal and natural gas industries are still very relevent in the area. Morgantown, as a city, leans to the left politically and is the most cosmopolitan town in WV. If you want to stay away from the undergrad scene in town, you can find an abundance of apartments/condos and other living options outiside of town. The area continues to grow and yields a fantastic small economy. The public school system is pretty good. There are some schools that are better than others, and there are private schools as well. I would classify Morgantown as a very good mix of country and city living/ Northern and Southern societal aspects are prevelent as well.

BlazedBillyMaze

New

Post by BlazedBillyMaze » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:28 am

Never rent from Metro Properties. They own ~80% of the apartments in town. They are owned by some shady guidos. I know plenty of people who have had troubles with them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 am

thank you all so much!! I think I'll swing down and try to visit soon. Sounds like it could be a good place to study law. The beer pong suggestion made me laugh.. I'm really not a drinker, so hopefully there are some trendy late-night coffeeshops. That's more my scene. I will probably have a lot more questions if I get some scholarship and seriously consider attending!!

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 am

solarae wrote:thank you all so much!! I think I'll swing down and try to visit soon. Sounds like it could be a good place to study law. The beer pong suggestion made me laugh.. I'm really not a drinker, so hopefully there are some trendy late-night coffeeshops. That's more my scene. I will probably have a lot more questions if I get some scholarship and seriously consider attending!!
There is a place called SOZOs that might be what you are looking for, although I've never been there. Jay's Daily Grind has the best coffee imo, but they aren't open late. Gibby's and Brewpub are both nice bars with food, soft drinks, etc, that have a good bit of live music as well. 123 Pleasant Street has live music all the time, although it's kind of it's own scene.

Re: the comment about Metro, I've known some people that rented from them and were okay with it, but I have heard some bad things about them too. American Campus Communities owns 3 or 4 of the big complexes now. Avoid Kingdom Properties. I rent from Miser, and they respond quickly, but the price is high. My brother is renting from Perilli next year, and I was really impressed when I met him.

mtnr

New

Post by mtnr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Can't believe how much the cost of rent has gone up since I was in Morgantown for my undergrad! When I was there I rented from Mel Friend for 2 years, Daymark 1 year, and Aerostar 1 year and always paid about $300/month in Sunnyside. Daymark apt was pretty all around pretty crappy, but the other 2 companies were good and the properties were decent. The only thing w/Aerostar was you knew going into it that you were kissing your security deposit goodbye. Don't know if any of those are still around anymore though, I graduated in 2005.

This time around I'll be living outside of Morgantown and commuting in. Do any current residents know if the Star City traffic situation is still a nightmare?

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 pm

mtnr wrote:Can't believe how much the cost of rent has gone up since I was in Morgantown for my undergrad! When I was there I rented from Mel Friend for 2 years, Daymark 1 year, and Aerostar 1 year and always paid about $300/month in Sunnyside. Daymark apt was pretty all around pretty crappy, but the other 2 companies were good and the properties were decent. The only thing w/Aerostar was you knew going into it that you were kissing your security deposit goodbye. Don't know if any of those are still around anymore though, I graduated in 2005.

This time around I'll be living outside of Morgantown and commuting in. Do any current residents know if the Star City traffic situation is still a nightmare?
Star City itself is only bad during rush hour and after about 3pm on Fridays. Coming past Towers/University Ave is still an ungodly exercise if its go to class time. Beechurst is a shitshow pretty much 24/7....4 ambulances, 3 cops, and about 6 fire engines have gone past in the last few hours.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”