West Virginia 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Bronze

Re: West Virginia 2011

Post by 23402385985 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Just got in the other day. Choice now is WVU vs Quinnipiac, I guess. Money at QU makes the price about equal.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:25 am

Anyone know about the curve at WVU?

SteveyY24

New

Post by SteveyY24 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:19 am

Any current students here? How is the parking situation? Is it hard to find a spot in the lots close to the law school? Where do you normally park, lot 76? Also, should I get the paved or gravel? Thanks.

lbeeman2007

New

Post by lbeeman2007 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 am

SteveyY24 wrote:Any current students here? How is the parking situation? Is it hard to find a spot in the lots close to the law school? Where do you normally park, lot 76? Also, should I get the paved or gravel? Thanks.
From what I have heard, there is more than enough parking in the gravel lot. The paved lot has very limited spaces, but the gravel lot is huge if I recall correctly. Let me put it this way. The gravel lot will still be a much closer walk than anything you were used to in Undergrad.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Do we need to actually choose a lot to park in, I guess?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 pm

There's always plenty of parking right up beside the school. If you do not purchase the parking permit early enough, you may have to take the more expensive paved lot (rather than the cheaper gravel lot) but either option is really only a few steps. Parking is no problem at all.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue May 10, 2011 7:58 am

joncrooshal wrote:Just got in the other day. Choice now is WVU vs Quinnipiac, I guess. Money at QU makes the price about equal.
CT's filled with lawyers - UConn's huge and Boston's glut of schools isn't that far away. WV may not have a ton of law jobs but they're almost entirely staffed by WVU law grads. That's something to think about, all costs being equal. Also rent in Hamden and especially New Haven is ridiculous. COL is much cheaper in Morgantown.

Then again, Morgantown is much further from Pgh than QU is to New Haven, and New York and Boston, as well as Hartford, are all close. So if you want an ice cube's chance in hell at those markets, QU might not be a bad call. The faculty's great too.

Champion of the Sun

New

Post by Champion of the Sun » Sat May 14, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm going to check Morgantown out soon. Any suggestions for what places I should look for an apartment? I am looking for quiet, close, cheap. I'm flexible to a point on what I'm looking for except for quiet. I study best at home and can't stand to live next to beer bonging ug's.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Champion of the Sun wrote:I'm going to check Morgantown out soon. Any suggestions for what places I should look for an apartment? I am looking for quiet, close, cheap. I'm flexible to a point on what I'm looking for except for quiet. I study best at home and can't stand to live next to beer bonging ug's.
Same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lbeeman2007

New

Post by lbeeman2007 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Champion of the Sun wrote:I'm going to check Morgantown out soon. Any suggestions for what places I should look for an apartment? I am looking for quiet, close, cheap. I'm flexible to a point on what I'm looking for except for quiet. I study best at home and can't stand to live next to beer bonging ug's.
Good luck. From what I have found in my search, it seems that you will either find cheap and live next to beer bonging ug's, or find something quiet and close. It's hard to find both in Morgantown. I'd start looking very soon.

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Mon May 16, 2011 11:37 am

lbeeman2007 wrote:
Good luck. From what I have found in my search, it seems that you will either find cheap and live next to beer bonging ug's, or find something quiet and close. It's hard to find both in Morgantown. I'd start looking very soon.
Close will be a problem if you want away from undergrads. There are a a few apartments very close to the law school, and Chateau is within walking distance. That said, you are going to be close to the stadium either way, which attracts students and will obviously be a mess on game days. There are apartments on 8th street and the streets right off of it that will probably be quieter and not too expensive. The walk would probably be ten-fifteen minutes, straight up the mountain.

In short, anywhere close to campus is going to have its share of undergrads. However, you aren't directly downtown or in Sunnyside, so it will be a quieter section of town. Chateau can get loud but wont always be.

If you are flexible on not living within walking distance, you can find small townhomes and apartments out Stewartstown that will be very quiet and are pretty nice.

Champion of the Sun

New

Post by Champion of the Sun » Mon May 16, 2011 3:04 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
lbeeman2007 wrote:
Close will be a problem if you want away from undergrads. There are a a few apartments very close to the law school, and Chateau is within walking distance. That said, you are going to be close to the stadium either way, which attracts students and will obviously be a mess on game days. There are apartments on 8th street and the streets right off of it that will probably be quieter and not too expensive. The walk would probably be ten-fifteen minutes, straight up the mountain.

In short, anywhere close to campus is going to have its share of undergrads. However, you aren't directly downtown or in Sunnyside, so it will be a quieter section of town. Chateau can get loud but wont always be.

If you are flexible on not living within walking distance, you can find small townhomes and apartments out Stewartstown that will be very quiet and are pretty nice.
I'm very flexible on the distance. When I say close I am talking about travel time. I'll be coming from the DC. area so if I can find something within a 10-15 minute drive I'll happy. I also want to be close enough to the law school area so that I'm not completely isolated from the social scene if want to grab a few drinks once in a while. Also, since I'm used to D.C. prices cheap for me will be a 1br that's around $650-$800 a month including utilities. I'll definatly check out Stewartstown, thanks.

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Mon May 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Champion of the Sun wrote:
I'm very flexible on the distance. When I say close I am talking about travel time. I'll be coming from the DC. area so if I can find something within a 10-15 minute drive I'll happy. I also want to be close enough to the law school area so that I'm not completely isolated from the social scene if want to grab a few drinks once in a while. Also, since I'm used to D.C. prices cheap for me will be a 1br that's around $650-$800 a month including utilities. I'll definatly check out Stewartstown, thanks.
If you are willing to do 10-15 min drive, you will have tons of options. Most people in UG try to live close or the big complexes with shuttles because of the parking mess, but the law school seems to have adequate parking. This site: --LinkRemoved-- is pretty helpful, although it doesn't have all the townhouses available. I'll give my friend a call later and see who she rented from out Stewartstown. One bedroom with a living room and kitchen, nice furnishings, 600/month I believe. Much nicer than where I lived.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:04 pm

So, what are the NICEST apartments near by? Like within a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute drive. Price is no issue (as long as it's under a grand a month).

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 am

joncrooshal wrote:So, what are the NICEST apartments near by? Like within a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute drive. Price is no issue (as long as it's under a grand a month).
I haven't been in many apartments that close to the law school besides Chateau. However, you can generally assume the complexes will all be about the same, and will generally be better than private apartments you can find. Copper Beach is a little nicer than the other IMO, and other than that you just go by how old they are. If you can go up to a grand, there are some nice townhomes on Maple Drive (across from Walgreens and Sheetz) and Van Voorhis that would be 5-10 minutes depending on traffic. Another 5 minutes opens up Stewartstown Road. Bon Vista apartments there are pretty nice and very quiet.

Driving times in Morgantown vary greatly. There have been times that I hit the lights perfectly and made it from way out Van Voorhis to the far side of downtown in 10 minutes, and there have been times when traffic backs up and it takes ten minutes to circle the Mountainlair. After a while you learn which roads to take when, since there are generally 4-5 ways to everywhere.

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 pm

If you've decided to come to Morgantown, you might want to just give the Admissions staff a quick call and see if they have some ideas about where other law students are living. Alternatively, I'm sure they could give you a name or two of current law students who'd be willing to give you the scoop.

Its a small school and the various deans and staff are extremely helpful in my experience. They know the students and its a pretty tight knit community up on law school hill. I'm certain they'll point you in the right direction to get some housing tips.

Good luck.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah, I'm going to throw them a call tomorrow.

Going to try and visit the campus this coming Monday.

Sent in my seat deposit the other day, so hopefully I can get my MIX username and such so I can register for parking and all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Currently down here right now. West Virginia in this area is gorgeous. I've been to southern areas before that were prettier, but I was expecting a bit more of an urban (if you will) place in Morgantown but was pleasantly surprised. Though Star City looked pretty ghetto. Checking out a few apartments right now. The law school looks a bit dated, but seemed nice enough inside.

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Currently down here right now. West Virginia in this area is gorgeous. I've been to southern areas before that were prettier, but I was expecting a bit more of an urban (if you will) place in Morgantown but was pleasantly surprised. Though Star City looked pretty ghetto. Checking out a few apartments right now. The law school looks a bit dated, but seemed nice enough inside.
Star City is a lot more residential than some other areas. There will be a few ghetto streets, but also some really nice places if you look around. A lot more landlords with only one or two apartments or duplexes.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:37 am

Think I just found a place (Cedar Ridge). Pretty close to the law school.

Now I just need to buy a beater for the winter (lifted Jeep or something).

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 am

Took some photos while I was there (just the outside -- I didn't feel comfortable just walking around taking pictures inside like an idiot).

Front entrance, I believe:

View off of the hill (you are above almost everything it seems):

View of the field from the law school:

Obligatory shot of my car from the hill (covered in bugs, you'd never know!):

Could barely make it up some of the hills in that car, too. Kind of hysterical. But that's what I get for modding it to hell and expecting it to perform going up hills.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acirilli1722

New

Post by acirilli1722 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 am

wait until it snows you'll love those hills

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:56 am

There's no way that car can make it through a winter in WV. Even with my snow tires (which got me through a foot of snow easily in Jersey). I'm going to be buying a lifted Grand Cherokee or Cherokee Sport (whatever I can find and buy with my student loan funds). Figure around 5K or less on the beater.

What are car insurance prices like out there?

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Thu May 26, 2011 9:14 am

Insurance will probably be higher if you get it lifted. You can get along fine with a regular suspension, especially on something like a grand cherokee. Very few spots do you really need clearance beyond the average cars.

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Thu May 26, 2011 9:31 am

You should've taken a run up and down the hill from the law school to the stadium a few times while in town. Its what the football players do for training.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”