In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh

Silver

Re: In at Harvard

Post by sarahh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:46 pm

I got one of Dean Minow's books - In Brown's Wake. I am planning to read it after I finish Getting to Maybe, which is boring the heck out of me.

bedefan

Bronze

Post by bedefan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:07 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:wait what? they giving out books now? i only got the handwritten note my year :(

this is a pretty neat idea...i would have loved to have received Mnookin's Bargaining with the Devil or something...lol
This is the one they sent me. Started reading it last night. Very interesting--in fact of all the books mentioned ITT it's the one I'd be most interested in. So, way to go JR. You read my mind. My note from Mnookin mentioned something from my resume which was discussed in my JR1.

Made me even more psyched for the program on negotiation...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 pm

bedefan wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:wait what? they giving out books now? i only got the handwritten note my year :(

this is a pretty neat idea...i would have loved to have received Mnookin's Bargaining with the Devil or something...lol
This is the one they sent me. Started reading it last night. Very interesting--in fact of all the books mentioned ITT it's the one I'd be most interested in. So, way to go JR. You read my mind. My note from Mnookin mentioned something from my resume which was discussed in my JR1.

Made me even more psyched for the program on negotiation...
yeah not to plug anything, but i hear there's a great journal to be on *cough*HarvardNegotiationLawReview*cough* if you're interested in ADR and negotiation. not a gigantic journal so you get to take on responsibility earlier on as a 1L and have a greater say in the process.

whytheface

New

Post by whytheface » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:21 pm

Got an email from the author of the book I received as well. Loving the personalization and getting even more excited to enroll!

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:24 pm

I got Living the Policy Process by Philip Heymann. Great idea, HLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:48 pm

About these books...does Harvard send them to students who have accepted the offer of admission, or to all admitted students?

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Pretty sure all admitted (or at least those who haven't withdrawn yet). I kind of don't want to withdraw anywhere it case they keep sending more loot.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:09 pm

pride09 wrote:Pretty sure all admitted (or at least those who haven't withdrawn yet). I kind of don't want to withdraw anywhere it case they keep sending more loot.
I didn't receive a book :(. They must sense my preference for Yale =X.

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 pm

thecynic69 wrote:About these books...does Harvard send them to students who have accepted the offer of admission, or to all admitted students?
I received Professor Ogletree's The Presumption of Guilt today (postmarked 04/11/11), even though I withdrew my app almost two weeks ago.

With that said, the book - along with the personal email from Professor Ogletree earlier in the month - is an extremely nice touch from HLS. YLS could actually take note in this instance, IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:36 am

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed May 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Well, I've more or less decided on Harvard. I think the major reason is that after hearing all the tension on TLS about jobs and grades, I went to visit Harvard and everyone I met was totally chilled. The girl who gave me the tour (thanks!), had a PI plan a and plan b, the other students I met said that the lack of GPA was helpful, and that they had no trouble finding jobs, even though one of them had more or less skipped OCI. And now... To rent my house, find an apartment, and turn my life upside down! Onward!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Just got housing! Anybody else stay in Terry Terrace?

chiedisevuoi

New

Post by chiedisevuoi » Mon May 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Whats the email address for questions from incoming students? It was something like 1L2b... Or oneLtobe, or something similar, at law.harvard.edu, yes?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Mon May 09, 2011 2:39 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Just got housing! Anybody else stay in Terry Terrace?
wha! i haven't received anything yet :( *freaks out, standard tls style*

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon May 09, 2011 5:04 pm

delusional wrote:Well, I've more or less decided on Harvard. I think the major reason is that after hearing all the tension on TLS about jobs and grades, I went to visit Harvard and everyone I met was totally chilled. The girl who gave me the tour (thanks!), had a PI plan a and plan b, the other students I met said that the lack of GPA was helpful, and that they had no trouble finding jobs, even though one of them had more or less skipped OCI. And now... To rent my house, find an apartment, and turn my life upside down! Onward!
haha im surprised - i wouldnt say everyone i met was chill about finding jobs, but then again everyone ive met have been 1Ls (2Ls and 3Ls are UBER chill, you're right haha). prob unwarranted though (the unchillness lol) -- virtually every 1L i know, chill or not about 1L summer jobs, have so far landed amazing 1L summer jobs (and subsequently have become more and more chill). but even at our most unchill, id easily say TLS is a much, much scarier vibe haha.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm

I hate you so much.. I dont select until the 18th. Hopefully there are places left for me.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Mon May 09, 2011 5:32 pm

rundoxierun wrote:
I hate you so much.. I dont select until the 18th. Hopefully there are places left for me.
My window wasn't until 6/3-4 so I went ahead and got an apartment in the currently available list--figured it was too big of a risk otherwise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:46 pm

ebeth wrote:
rundoxierun wrote:
My window wasn't until 6/3-4 so I went ahead and got an apartment in the currently available list--figured it was too big of a risk otherwise.
same here but my lease doesn't start till 20 July. I planned on being there 1 august anyway so paying for an extra 11 days is no biggie. Some people being paying rent since may to stay at Terry Terrace so I actually feel good. I mean I'll be living there for three years. Plus I can get my car registered with Cambridge before i come.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue May 10, 2011 9:53 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ebeth wrote:
rundoxierun wrote: I hate you so much.. I dont select until the 18th. Hopefully there are places left for me.
same here but my lease doesn't start till 20 July. I planned on being there 1 august anyway so paying for an extra 11 days is no biggie. Some people being paying rent since may to stay at Terry Terrace so I actually feel good. I mean I'll be living there for three years. Plus I can get my car registered with Cambridge before i come.
They have my perfect apt. available right now but thease starts July 9th. I wish I could afford to take the extra $1700 hit. Downside of need-based aid is that it makes my summer income basically nothing after they make their aid adjustments.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:18 am

rundoxierun wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ebeth wrote:
rundoxierun wrote: I hate you so much.. I dont select until the 18th. Hopefully there are places left for me.
They have my perfect apt. available right now but thease starts July 9th. I wish I could afford to take the extra $1700 hit. Downside of need-based aid is that it makes my summer income basically nothing after they make their aid adjustments.
yeah sorry I got the last 20 July apt. I saw all of the 9 July ones and I wasn't prepared to do that. That would be the equvalent of me throwing $1100 down the drain while starting my lease on the 20th I'm only throwing $550 down the drain and since I'll be staying there for 3 years it comes out to less than 200 dollars a year.

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Thu May 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Public service announcement for all the new admits (congrats!) or anyone still looking for a place to stay.

My roommate and I still have one bedroom to rent out in our 3 bedroom flat, it is literally around the corner from the law school, about a 5 min walk (roughly the same distance as North Hall). $1000/month plus utilities which are generally under $100/month. There is FREE LAUNDRY in the basement, shared with the two other units in the building. Bedroom is large, can fit a queen size bed. You would be living with an incoming 1L and rising 2L, both girls. If you are interested, please PM me and let me know a bit about yourself and I will send you a link to a walk-through of the apt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 12, 2011 5:17 pm

hulahoop wrote:Public service announcement for all the new admits (congrats!) or anyone still looking for a place to stay.
My roommate and I still have one bedroom to rent out in our 3 bedroom flat, it is literally around the corner from the law school, about a 5 min walk (roughly the same distance as North Hall). $1000/month plus utilities which are generally under $100/month. There is FREE LAUNDRY in the basement, shared with the two other units in the building. Bedroom is large, can fit a queen size bed. You would be living with an incoming 1L and rising 2L, both girls. If you are interested, please PM me and let me know a bit about yourself and I will send you a link to a walk-through of the apt.
I don't know the specific location so I can't comment on this, but for anyone thinking about it, I wil say that you really want to live a close walking distance to the law school during 1L if possible, and this sounds like a good price for living off-campus that close.

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Fri May 13, 2011 12:28 am

vanwinkle wrote:
hulahoop wrote:Public service announcement for all the new admits (congrats!) or anyone still looking for a place to stay.
I don't know the specific location so I can't comment on this, but for anyone thinking about it, I wil say that you really want to live a close walking distance to the law school during 1L if possible, and this sounds like a good price for living off-campus that close.

good to know! I jumped on it earlier this summer b/c someone told me it was a great deal, nice to feel like I made the right choice. :wink:

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sat May 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Anyone ever use HRES RoommateClick?

lawpuppy

New

Post by lawpuppy » Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 am

Has anyone else sent in transcripts? I sent mine over a month ago and they don't show up under "Mailings," on my post-admissions status, although my college certification does. Is this standard?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”