Seton HAll

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BrownBears09

Re: Seton HAll

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Complete on 11/30. In on 1/14 (scholarship info in the mail.)

brose

Postby brose » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm

35K a year with 160/3.72 :shock: surprised but not sure if I'm gonna take it. Good luck to all.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:39 am

35k/yr with a 164/3.5

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 pm

With a $35k/yr schooly, would you all attend?

bgb1016

Postby bgb1016 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 am

$35k with 162/3.6...not sure what to make of this. I don't want reasons to go to Jersey. (Applying to schools in the same area as my partner's potential grad schools...dangerous game.)

brose

Postby brose » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:52 pm

JDHopeful wrote:With a $35k/yr schooly, would you all attend?

Probably not. If you take out the recommended amount (I think 67k?) x 3 years + 5% tuition inflation.... you're still going to go into over 100k of debt. I have a scholarship to W & M so I will probably take that.

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Anyone know approximately how long it takes to get a decision after your file is marked "under review"?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:13 am

Idk, Ive been waiting since 12/9 though...

elegantmint

Postby elegantmint » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:28 am

Really hope to hear something tomorrow...

elegantmint

Postby elegantmint » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:06 pm

And my wish to hear something today was granted... In!

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:47 pm

elegantmint wrote:And my wish to hear something today was granted... In!

Congrats! I'm still hoping to hear today :?

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Hmmm still haven't heard anything..Went complete on 12/14

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I will be really upset if I don't get my acceptance notification today..

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Just checked my status checker and Im in!

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 pm

I have to stop checking this forum, I keep getting my hopes up. You guys who were admitted today care to share your stats?

uwgbluedevil

Postby uwgbluedevil » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Paulzilla wrote:I have to stop checking this forum, I keep getting my hopes up. You guys who were admitted today care to share your stats?

+1

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

161, 3.8

AmericaninManchuria

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:23 pm

My status checker has a first seat deposit and second seat deposit listed, which it has not had for the past 3 weeks of being complete....does that mean anything??

here's hoping!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:29 pm

AmericaninManchuria wrote:My status checker has a first seat deposit and second seat deposit listed, which it has not had for the past 3 weeks of being complete....does that mean anything??

here's hoping!

Mine has that too, but I don't think it means anything. I submitted 1/11, but didn't go complete till 1/21. I spoke with Jessica Corone at admissions on Friday (very friendly), she wasn't sure if I was taking spring classes, so that slowed up the completion process a bit. I'm now under review. Hoping to get an acceptance this week!

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 am

I don't understand. According to the rankings, Seton Hall is a better school than Rutgers - Newark, so why does it sound here from some of the comments to be just the opposite?

Also, does anyone know if Seton Hall is considered overall to be a decent law school for a NY dude like myself?

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:05 am

If you have a 35k/yr scholly, don't withdraw. They may send you a suggestion to apply for scholarships that turn that into a full ride (tuition, not living expenses). If they do, apply for those and see what happens.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 am

lawfreak wrote:I don't understand. According to the rankings, Seton Hall is a better school than Rutgers - Newark, so why does it sound here from some of the comments to be just the opposite?

Also, does anyone know if Seton Hall is considered overall to be a decent law school for a NY dude like myself?

This is what I've gathered here, and I think it is legit. The rankings don't mean anything outside of T14; all the schools past that point are regional where regional reputation is way more important than a US News number. People here are showing love for Rutgers because it places decently in Jersey and it is cheap (they'll give you instate tuition for all three years.) Seton Hall gets a bad rep because they charge tuition around $44,000 (double what Rutgers charges instate) and their employment statistics are nothing to write home about.

If you're looking to practice in NY, I'd say don't go to Seton Hall. It might be doable, but only by a very very very select few.

Hope this helps. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:16 am

Thanks for the help! Although I obviously wouldn;t get in-state tuition anyway because I'm from NY, so in my scenario, Seton Hall would probably be the better choice.

As a side, Seton Hall is certainly not my top choice among the schools I applied to. I'm just curious.
aidez-moi wrote:
lawfreak wrote:I don't understand. According to the rankings, Seton Hall is a better school than Rutgers - Newark, so why does it sound here from some of the comments to be just the opposite?

This is what I've gathered here, and I think it is legit. The rankings don't mean anything outside of T14; all the schools past that point are regional where regional reputation is way more important than a US News number. People here are showing love for Rutgers because it places decently in Jersey and it is cheap (they'll give you instate tuition for all three years.) Seton Hall gets a bad rep because they charge tuition around $44,000 (double what Rutgers charges instate) and their employment statistics are nothing to write home about.

If you're looking to practice in NY, I'd say don't go to Seton Hall. It might be doable, but only by a very very very select few.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:19 am

lawfreak wrote:Thanks for the help! Although I obviously wouldn;t get in-state tuition anyway because I'm from NY, so in my scenario, Seton Hall would probably be the better choice.

As a side, Seton Hall is certainly not my top choice among the schools I applied to. I'm just curious.
aidez-moi wrote:

Well to qualify for in-state tuition at Rutgers all you need to do is sign a 12 month lease before classes start. Look at it this way, if you were going to live with your parents in NYC (as an example), you could lease an apartment in Jersey instead. Now, this would bring your cost of living up a lot, but it still should be cheaper than sticker at Seton Hall.

Edit: That said, I like Seton Hall a lot too. They have very nice facilities and a very good rep in Jersey, which I have to think, given their proximity to NYC, should provide some employment opportunity in Manhattan as well.

kasparov

Postby kasparov » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:34 am

Justathought wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Thanks for the help! Although I obviously wouldn;t get in-state tuition anyway because I'm from NY, so in my scenario, Seton Hall would probably be the better choice.

aidez-moi wrote:

Well to qualify for in-state tuition at Rutgers all you need to do is sign a 12 month lease before classes start. Look at it this way, if you were going to live with your parents in NYC (as an example), you could lease an apartment in Jersey instead. Now, this would bring your cost of living up a lot, but it still should be cheaper than sticker at Seton Hall.

Edit: That said, I like Seton Hall a lot too. They have very nice facilities and a very good rep in Jersey, which I have to think, given their proximity to NYC, should provide some employment opportunity in Manhattan as well.

If I am not mistaken, you also get the instate tuition for living in student housing @ Rutgers. (I am an NJ resident/commuter to RU, so I'm not 100% on this).

As an aside to the post - be careful about the money guys. If you get $ from RU and instate tuition - really consider it if you are absolutely planning on law school. It is seriously scary out there right now and the job prospects are going to be somewhat similar between the two, if not slightly leaning in Rutgers favor. I wish you all the best of luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”