Seton HAll

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rocon7383

Re: Seton HAll

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:42 pm

35k to seton hall and a full ride to st.johns, i think i'm gonna withdraw from seton hall to open up that money for someone else because i plan on practicing in ny and it just wouldn't make sense for me to go to seton over st. johns.

dat209

Postby dat209 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:18 pm

$26,250 to the evening program.

Now I need to pick between Rutgers evenings and Seton Hall evenings. With scholarships, Rutgers should be $9K a year and Seton Hall should be about $8k a year.

Any advice?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 pm

dat209 wrote:$26,250 to the evening program.

Now I need to pick between Rutgers and Seton Hall evenings. With scholarships, Rutgers should be $9K a year and Seton Hall should be about $8k a year.

Any advice?

Well I would advise you to visit. The schools are close in rankings and the employment prospects seem to be about equal, though perhaps you should look into that more closely. For example, does one school have more firms from NY?

Which brings me to my next point - I assume that your COA for Rutgers is at 9k with instate tuition. Since Seton Hall is not a state school, you could live in Manhattan and take a 22 min path train ride to the law school every day. Of course this seems more expensive at first glance, and it probably is, but with enough roommates or enough disposable income, this prospect could be very enticing.

dat209

Postby dat209 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Justathought wrote:

Now I need to pick between Rutgers and Seton Hall evenings. With scholarships, Rutgers should be $9K a year and Seton Hall should be about $8k a year.

Any advice?

Well I would advise you to visit. The schools are close in rankings and the employment prospects seem to be about equal, though perhaps you should look into that more closely. For example, does one school have more firms from NY?

Which brings me to my next point - I assume that your COA for Rutgers is at 9k with instate tuition. Since Seton Hall is not a state school, you could live in Manhattan and take a 22 min path train ride to the law school every day. Of course this seems more expensive at first glance, and it probably is, but with enough roommates or enough disposable income, this prospect could be very enticing.

Yea, I already live in NJ about 20 minutes from both RU-N and SHU. I want to stay in NJ after I graduate. My current job (government) will allow me to a do a transfer of position upon graduation as long as my grades are above a 3.0.

Honestly, for me, one of the biggest concerns will be flexibility with work. Which one of these programs is easier to manage while working full time as far as class times and scheduling. Thats something I need to investigate.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Anyone going to an admitted students day?

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:48 pm

When did you all hear about scholarship information? In the mail? I didn't even get a congrats on admission, but rec'd e-mail about admitted student days and just looked at my status checker which says I'm in. When should I hear about $$? GRACIAS

kartal

Postby kartal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:44 pm

For those who already got admitted, when is the first seat deposit due and how much is it? Thanks.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm

dat209 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Any advice?

Yea, I already live in NJ about 20 minutes from both RU-N and SHU. I want to stay in NJ after I graduate. My current job (government) will allow me to a do a transfer of position upon graduation as long as my grades are above a 3.0.

Honestly, for me, one of the biggest concerns will be flexibility with work. Which one of these programs is easier to manage while working full time as far as class times and scheduling. Thats something I need to investigate.

Why wouldn't you go to one of the Rutgers schools and take advantage of in-state tuition if you have employment lined up?

dat209

Postby dat209 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 am

URMdan wrote:
dat209 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Any advice?

Why wouldn't you go to one of the Rutgers schools and take advantage of in-state tuition if you have employment lined up?

Because SHU is actually cheaper by about $500 a semester after scholarships are accounted for. That's whats keeping this from being a no-brainer for me.

NJPharmD2011

Postby NJPharmD2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am

Because SHU is actually cheaper by about $500 a semester after scholarships are accounted for. That's whats keeping this from being a no-brainer for me.[/quote]

Are you looking at any specific specialty area? If you want to do Health Law then definitely go to Seton Hall, but if you are looking at IP or Environmental I would go to Rutgers. Ask if you can sit in at a few classes at each school and see which one feels better.

I believe both schools offer classes after 6pm Monday to Thursday. I think you should visit some evening classes and talk to those students since they likely work during the day as well.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 am

When did you guys hear about scholly information?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm

ktaraq wrote:When did you guys hear about scholly information?

With the admissions packet.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

35k scholly. What is the highest people are getting? Now to choose between RU-N (in state) and Seton Hall. I'd probably live at school for the first year and commute from home second and third. Not bad I suppose.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Are these schollys hard to keep? Just did a little search and finding people bashing the scholarships. What are your guys $.02? Above 50% doesn't sound too bad. Eeek.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Any thoughts? Or is this a taboo subject.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

ktaraq wrote:Any thoughts? Or is this a taboo subject.

Over the last few days I've become a big fan of Rutgers when compared to Seton Hall. However, I just got back from the gym and I'm too sore to type. I'll get back to you later today. :wink:

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 pm

is it me or are admissions office really slow.. I've been under review for over 5 weeks :(

mikala6m

Postby mikala6m » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:48 am

In review since 1/21 :|

How long did it take everyone else to hear back??

And for the people that received the 30k and 35k scholarships.. what are your numbers?

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:17 pm

How much of a scholly to night program should be expected for a 158/3.95?

lawuntoherself

Postby lawuntoherself » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 pm

what are my chances with a 154 lsat? My degree granting institution GPA is 4.0. I am an international student. I have applied to the PT program. I am also out of state. Recently moved to new Jersey. Do I even have a chance?

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

ktaraq wrote:35k scholly. What is the highest people are getting?

After reading through the thread, it seems nobody (at least not here) has received more than $35k/yr (which is what I received)

I expect I'll hear from RU-C soon, and then I guess I'll weigh options. I like SHU, but I think it just ultimately comes down to $. Even with 35 k/yr, their website estimates that costs will be about $67k...

If they could bump me up to a fully scholly and I limit that to 65k, then all of the sudden expenses are $60k debt over 3 years instead of $90+k

I'm still waiting on a lot of other schools, but if SHU was willing to bump me up to full scholarship, I'd definitely consider them. Guess I'll contact them in 3-4 weeks and ask.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Anyone go to the ASD today? What was it like?

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Anyone go to the ASD today? What was it like?

+1. I wasn't there, but it'd be nice to know how it went / impressions.

Btw, does anyone know when SHU's first seating deposit is due? Most schools are like end of April, I think, but April 1 seems to stick in my head for SHU for some reason, and it seems like I might not have all of my decisions by then..

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 pm

In today via status checker.

mikala6m

Postby mikala6m » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Paulzilla wrote:In today via status checker.

When did you go in review?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”