Seton HAll Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smoneill89

New

Re: Seton HAll

Post by smoneill89 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Admitted today via email

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Packet came in the mail today... 25 grand annual scholly baby!!!

secret0928

New

Post by secret0928 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 pm

waitlisted as of today :\

oh well, i guess we'll see what happens.

bgb1016

New

Post by bgb1016 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 pm

Seton Hall jumping past Brooklyn soothes the pain of getting $35k/year from Seton Hall and NOTHING from BLS...

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 pm

bgb1016 wrote:Seton Hall jumping past Brooklyn soothes the pain of getting $35k/year from Seton Hall and NOTHING from BLS...
I know - I LOVE it! I don't know how much I'm getting from SHU yet, but they say I'm getting some sort of merit scholarship. It seems they're being pretty generous, so it's tipping me their way. I still can't believe that BLS refused to even consider me for merit aid. Their loss.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:39 am

I'll be attending the April 9 ASD. I hope to meet some of you there.

josephchapman9

New

Post by josephchapman9 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 pm

I apologize in advance as I'm sure this is the wrong topic to post this question in. But being as the majority of you applied to Seton Hall, you will have experience with this. My application status on the online application status checker says, "file has been placed in review." Is this the equivalent or my application being complete or should I call their admissions office? Thanks guys. Congrats to those who got accepted, and good luck to those still waiting.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:10 pm

josephchapman9 wrote:I apologize in advance as I'm sure this is the wrong topic to post this question in. But being as the majority of you applied to Seton Hall, you will have experience with this. My application status on the online application status checker says, "file has been placed in review." Is this the equivalent or my application being complete or should I call their admissions office? Thanks guys. Congrats to those who got accepted, and good luck to those still waiting.
You are fine. It means that your file was complete, and now they have moved on to reviewing it.

ktaraq

New

Post by ktaraq » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 am

does it feel like seton hall just throws money at people? is this something to be worried about? how many people lose their scholarships? how hard is it to stay in the top 50%??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 am

Uh, 15K scholly, Seton Hall? When Rutgers costs half of what SHU does and is offering me 12K? Ooooookay.....

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 am

Bless wrote:I'll be attending the April 9 ASD. I hope to meet some of you there.
Well, I'm registered for it but now I'm not sure I'll be there.
If they dont negotiate my scholly up, then I'm withdrawing.

rmjones03

New

Post by rmjones03 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 am

25k anually scholly with 50% stip.... doesn't really seem like enough to make the move from Alabama to New Jersey, unless they will negotiate or give me some additional need-based aid. I have read job prospects are not that great either?? Hum..

lindseyannh

New

Post by lindseyannh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 pm

I have now been under review for 8 weeks. I guess its good I am not an auto-reject but I am still dying to know! Come on SH, I realllllllly want you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 pm

lindseyannh wrote:I have now been under review for 8 weeks. I guess its good I am not an auto-reject but I am still dying to know! Come on SH, I realllllllly want you.
for reals! i'm so anxious!

ohcede

New

Post by ohcede » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:29 am

Anyone decided on attending yet?

I visited the school last week and actually liked it A LOT more than I thought I would. The area's not as bad as I expected it to be and the facilities (building, library, etc.) are all really nice. I'm now seriously considering attending in the fall.

lindseyannh

New

Post by lindseyannh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:48 pm

got my rejection today :(
good luck to everyone still waiting!

Ridore

New

Post by Ridore » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Whats the biggest diffence from Seton hall and Rutger Newark. (other than rank)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Ridore wrote:Whats the biggest diffence from Seton hall and Rutger Newark. (other than rank)
Cost!

On a lesser level, Rutgers seems more focused on Public Interest, whereas Seton Hall seems focused on Private Practice - Health law in particular.

Edit: to further clarify, both schools actually have very similar employment numbers. Both place about the same amount of grads into private practice, despite the seemingly different missions of each school. Rutgers has a larger and more established Alumni base, but Seton Hall seems to be a school on the rise. I don't like the fact that Rutgers is tied to the state for funding, however I couldn't imagine paying over 20k more per year just for the minor upsides that Seton Hall may possess these days. If I attend either, it would likely be Rutgers to keep costs down. They're pretty similar.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Justathought wrote:
Ridore wrote:Whats the biggest diffence from Seton hall and Rutger Newark. (other than rank)
Cost!

On a lesser level, Rutgers seems more focused on Public Interest, whereas Seton Hall seems focused on Private Practice - Health law in particular.

Edit: to further clarify, both schools actually have very similar employment numbers. Both place about the same amount of grads into private practice, despite the seemingly different missions of each school. Rutgers has a larger and more established Alumni base, but Seton Hall seems to be a school on the rise. I don't like the fact that Rutgers is tied to the state for funding, however I couldn't imagine paying over 20k more per year just for the minor upsides that Seton Hall may possess these days. If I attend either, it would likely be Rutgers to keep costs down. They're pretty similar.
I agree that RU is probably more PI-focused, which I like because that's where I'm heading. And it is much, much cheaper. I also found the officials at Rutgers to be way more helpful and friendly. SHU seemed horribly offended when I asked politely if I might be able to negotiate more merit aid.
Also, the tour of Seton Hall wasn't terribly impressive. I mean, is bragging that your LSAT median is now in the high 150s really something to go on about? (Actually the website says 160 now, which still...OK?) Should the tour guide mention that he didn't bother to research his schools well and ended up going to SHU because it's the only school he visited?
Though Rutgers is dependent on the state, they offered me only slightly less merit aid than Seton Hall, which relative to the tuition cost was a massive difference. And when I asked RU if I could negotiate more, they were apologetic that they didn't have more to give and they didn't make me feel like a complete asshole just for asking. I just found them way more accommodating in general, and the facilities are way nicer than I would have expected.
As for the rankings, I wouldn't be surprised to see Seton Hall drop next year. I don't think they're on the rise as much as they figured out a way to improve their score. I had the same feeling about St. John's when I went to visit earlier this year and sure enough they took a big drop this year.
In the end, I withdrew from SHU and sent my seat deposit to RU.

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:53 am

Hey guys, applied a few weeks back and I'm curious... 159/2.95 if anyone who has seen the trends can offer some insight as to my chances

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:14 am

Dripworx wrote:Hey guys, applied a few weeks back and I'm curious... 159/2.95 if anyone who has seen the trends can offer some insight as to my chances
I get the impression that they put a lot of emphasis on the LSAT. And this chart below seems to back that up. It seems if you got a 164+, GPA wasn't much of a concern. I got in with 165/2.84

http://setonhall.lawschoolnumbers.com/s ... Cycle=1011

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Letter of withdrawal is now in the mailbox. That should free up $25K a year. I hope this all goes to somebody hoping for Seton! Best of luck.

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Post by LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:12 am

Bless wrote:Letter of withdrawal is now in the mailbox. That should free up $25K a year. I hope this all goes to somebody hoping for Seton! Best of luck.
+1. Just withdrew, but only via email. Are you actually mailing their form and LOW? I hope just an email will suffice and they won't require a hardcopy.

kaybee123

New

Post by kaybee123 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 pm

For those of you attending next year, has anyone tried to create their e-mail account with the instructions sent in the mail? I have been having trouble doing so. Last week I was told their server was having an issue. Thanks!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:56 pm

went in review yesterday for the pt program! wish me luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”