Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chango
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby chango » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Then don't ask questions if you don't want to listen to them, I actually do know what I am talking about. I'm very interested to know what this other school is.


If your attitude in law school is anything like it has been in this forum, you'll be in for a rude, rude awakening.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby Oblivion_08 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 pm

We are not in law school mode here, the guy reached out to me and asked me if he had a chance and what he can do to get in, and I gave him advice and now he is telling me he doesn't want to listen to people that don't know what they are talking about. I've been working in a court for a year now, and I've been exposed to the legal world for 2 years now, I'm prepared for law school thank you for your concern.

law818
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby law818 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:26 pm

singingkris wrote:
ljeucla wrote:So does getting an email about SCALE actually mean anything i.e. being considered for regular admission, etc.? Anybody that was interviewed or emailed about an interview earlier in the admission cycle have an info.?

I was wl on 3/15 and I did not get that email for the scale program.


Same here, I wonder what SWL is thinking?

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby CmonSD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:49 pm

law818 wrote:
singingkris wrote:
ljeucla wrote:So does getting an email about SCALE actually mean anything i.e. being considered for regular admission, etc.? Anybody that was interviewed or emailed about an interview earlier in the admission cycle have an info.?

I was wl on 3/15 and I did not get that email for the scale program.


Same here, I wonder what SWL is thinking?


I received 3 or 4 emails for Scale and got WL for PT.

law818
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby law818 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:03 pm

CmonSD wrote:
law818 wrote:
singingkris wrote:
ljeucla wrote:So does getting an email about SCALE actually mean anything i.e. being considered for regular admission, etc.? Anybody that was interviewed or emailed about an interview earlier in the admission cycle have an info.?

I was wl on 3/15 and I did not get that email for the scale program.


Same here, I wonder what SWL is thinking?


I received 3 or 4 emails for Scale and got WL for PT.


E-mails were before or after being waitlisted?

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby CmonSD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 pm

E-mails were before or after being waitlisted?[/quote]

Both before and after. My lsat/GPA is 75%/25%

User avatar
janefbk
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby janefbk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:24 pm

CmonSD wrote:E-mails were before or after being waitlisted?


Both before and after. My lsat/GPA is 75%/25%[/quote]

Did you go in for an interview?

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby CmonSD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:29 pm

janefbk wrote:
CmonSD wrote:E-mails were before or after being waitlisted?


Both before and after. My lsat/GPA is 75%/25%


Did you go in for an interview?[/quote]

No, I have no interest in doing Scale, so I ignored them. Maybe they took that as I didn't have interest in SW, but really I only had interest in the program I applied for......oh well.

User avatar
saintsfan200
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby saintsfan200 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 am

I got quite a few emails about Scale, after getting accepted. I think they’re going to use Scale to keep their best students from transferring out. It seems like, that’s where they’re putting a lot of their scholarship money too.

User avatar
janefbk
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby janefbk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:42 am

Does anyone have a SCALE interview scheduled for this or next week? (This is in regards to the 4/25 emails)

RAB
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby RAB » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Doesn't SCALE start pretty soon?

ljeucla
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby ljeucla » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

janefbk wrote:Does anyone have a SCALE interview scheduled for this or next week? (This is in regards to the 4/25 emails)


No, I haven't even got a reply back yet in regards to scheduling an interview. I spoke with somebody else that scheduled an interview a few months back and they said it took a few days to get a response so still waiting.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby 2807 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:36 pm

RAB wrote:Doesn't SCALE start pretty soon?



SCALE starts Monday, June 13.

biglonestar
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:04 am

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby biglonestar » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:15 am

I had my SCALE interview today. Went really well! I was informed that they would be pushing my file forward and I would get a final decision by mid next week. For those of you still planning on getting an interview, dont stress, they are still very much interviewing, they are just backed up. The interview took about an hour and then we went on a tour of the campus. SCALE sounds like an awesome program and you get a lot of perks that fulltime and part time students dont but thats obviously because you have more of a demanding schedule so they try to accomodate the SCALE students more. All in all I am very positive I will be starting in June, hopefully with some of you!!

User avatar
SFnative
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby SFnative » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Just got an acceptance e-mail today. Waiting to see if i get some money.
GL to anyone still waiting..

ljeucla
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby ljeucla » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:54 am

SFnative wrote:Just got an acceptance e-mail today. Waiting to see if i get some money.
GL to anyone still waiting..


If you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers?

Thanks and congrats!

Callie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby Callie » Sun May 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm a current Scale student about to finish up year one. We're in finals-mode right now, but I'm taking a quick break and decided to say a few things here.

First of all, Scale is no joke. What I mean by this is that the program is so accelerated that you really don't have much free time for anything. There are some students in the class who can do the readings and brief cases, take notes during lecture, and they just "get it". But I believe those students are few and far between. For most students, on top of the huge amount of reading and case briefing in such a short period of time, they have to spend extra time re-reading and working the material until they fully grasp the particular topic or concept. But the problem is Scale is so fast that students who need this extra time literally do not have it and they are forced to cut corners and do epic cramming sessions at the end just to squeeze by.

I'm sure traditional law students will argue that any traditional program at any school is exactly the same. While that may be the case to an extent, much of that is probably self-imposed. In a traditional program, you DO have time to re-read and practice but many students probably don't. In Scale, you literally don't have the time to both go back look and keep interacting with the older material until you really understand it AND stay up on the current reading. This is what I think sets Scale apart.

If you decide to do Scale you should know exactly what you are getting into. Ask to see the student handbook. Ask about the GPA requirements that must be maintained so you don't find yourself on probation or academically dismissed. People are dismissed from every Scale class, usually starting by about the 3rd quarter. You will not get a refund if you get kicked out.

I am not aware of any way to identify whether you will be able to excel in Scale or if you will be one of those who hang on by a thread. From what I have seen the "prestige" of where you went to undergrad means nothing. Also, study skills you used in undergrad to get A's will not cut it here. You must achieve a level of studying you probably did not know existed.

Again, I want to re-iterate that there are a good amount of students who do very well in Scale. They just get it. Their minds are attuned to this material and/or the way it is presented by a particular professor. You might do Scale and do well and enjoy yourself. This happens in every class. But you may also find yourself hanging on by a thread. There is little mercy if you find yourself in academic trouble.

But the benefits of doing Scale are there as well and they are huge in my opinion. You will be so used to the insane speed and having so much swirling around in your head that studying for the Bar may not be as insanely stressful for you. We do a lot of hands-on, practical type stuff which already has me at a level where I know I will not look like an idiot by any means when I begin practicing law. And of course, the best benefit of all is that you will be finished with law school one year early.

Time is running out between now and my first final. I will check back in here if I can but can't make any promises. Best of luck to all.

ljeucla
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby ljeucla » Sun May 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Callie wrote:Hi all,

I'm a current Scale student about to finish up year one. We're in finals-mode right now, but I'm taking a quick break and decided to say a few things here.

First of all, Scale is no joke. What I mean by this is that the program is so accelerated that you really don't have much free time for anything. There are some students in the class who can do the readings and brief cases, take notes during lecture, and they just "get it". But I believe those students are few and far between. For most students, on top of the huge amount of reading and case briefing in such a short period of time, they have to spend extra time re-reading and working the material until they fully grasp the particular topic or concept. But the problem is Scale is so fast that students who need this extra time literally do not have it and they are forced to cut corners and do epic cramming sessions at the end just to squeeze by.

I'm sure traditional law students will argue that any traditional program at any school is exactly the same. While that may be the case to an extent, much of that is probably self-imposed. In a traditional program, you DO have time to re-read and practice but many students probably don't. In Scale, you literally don't have the time to both go back look and keep interacting with the older material until you really understand it AND stay up on the current reading. This is what I think sets Scale apart.

If you decide to do Scale you should know exactly what you are getting into. Ask to see the student handbook. Ask about the GPA requirements that must be maintained so you don't find yourself on probation or academically dismissed. People are dismissed from every Scale class, usually starting by about the 3rd quarter. You will not get a refund if you get kicked out.

I am not aware of any way to identify whether you will be able to excel in Scale or if you will be one of those who hang on by a thread. From what I have seen the "prestige" of where you went to undergrad means nothing. Also, study skills you used in undergrad to get A's will not cut it here. You must achieve a level of studying you probably did not know existed.

Again, I want to re-iterate that there are a good amount of students who do very well in Scale. They just get it. Their minds are attuned to this material and/or the way it is presented by a particular professor. You might do Scale and do well and enjoy yourself. This happens in every class. But you may also find yourself hanging on by a thread. There is little mercy if you find yourself in academic trouble.

But the benefits of doing Scale are there as well and they are huge in my opinion. You will be so used to the insane speed and having so much swirling around in your head that studying for the Bar may not be as insanely stressful for you. We do a lot of hands-on, practical type stuff which already has me at a level where I know I will not look like an idiot by any means when I begin practicing law. And of course, the best benefit of all is that you will be finished with law school one year early.

Time is running out between now and my first final. I will check back in here if I can but can't make any promises. Best of luck to all.


Thanks so much for taking the time to write that, much appreciated and good luck on finals!

User avatar
singingkris
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby singingkris » Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Callie wrote:Hi all,

I'm a current Scale student about to finish up year one. We're in finals-mode right now, but I'm taking a quick break and decided to say a few things here.

First of all, Scale is no joke. What I mean by this is that the program is so accelerated that you really don't have much free time for anything. There are some students in the class who can do the readings and brief cases, take notes during lecture, and they just "get it". But I believe those students are few and far between. For most students, on top of the huge amount of reading and case briefing in such a short period of time, they have to spend extra time re-reading and working the material until they fully grasp the particular topic or concept. But the problem is Scale is so fast that students who need this extra time literally do not have it and they are forced to cut corners and do epic cramming sessions at the end just to squeeze by.

I'm sure traditional law students will argue that any traditional program at any school is exactly the same. While that may be the case to an extent, much of that is probably self-imposed. In a traditional program, you DO have time to re-read and practice but many students probably don't. In Scale, you literally don't have the time to both go back look and keep interacting with the older material until you really understand it AND stay up on the current reading. This is what I think sets Scale apart.

If you decide to do Scale you should know exactly what you are getting into. Ask to see the student handbook. Ask about the GPA requirements that must be maintained so you don't find yourself on probation or academically dismissed. People are dismissed from every Scale class, usually starting by about the 3rd quarter. You will not get a refund if you get kicked out.

I am not aware of any way to identify whether you will be able to excel in Scale or if you will be one of those who hang on by a thread. From what I have seen the "prestige" of where you went to undergrad means nothing. Also, study skills you used in undergrad to get A's will not cut it here. You must achieve a level of studying you probably did not know existed.

Again, I want to re-iterate that there are a good amount of students who do very well in Scale. They just get it. Their minds are attuned to this material and/or the way it is presented by a particular professor. You might do Scale and do well and enjoy yourself. This happens in every class. But you may also find yourself hanging on by a thread. There is little mercy if you find yourself in academic trouble.

But the benefits of doing Scale are there as well and they are huge in my opinion. You will be so used to the insane speed and having so much swirling around in your head that studying for the Bar may not be as insanely stressful for you. We do a lot of hands-on, practical type stuff which already has me at a level where I know I will not look like an idiot by any means when I begin practicing law. And of course, the best benefit of all is that you will be finished with law school one year early.

Time is running out between now and my first final. I will check back in here if I can but can't make any promises. Best of luck to all.


Thank you! Good Luck with finals.

User avatar
gokickrocks
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby gokickrocks » Mon May 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Waitlisted, really??? Ridiculous.

LegallyPumpkin
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby LegallyPumpkin » Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 pm

gokickrocks wrote:Waitlisted, really??? Ridiculous.


Can you PM me your numbers?

law818
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby law818 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:29 pm

gokickrocks wrote:Waitlisted, really??? Ridiculous.


Did you just get the waitlist offer? SW is really taking their sweet a$$ time this year. When did you apply, what are you stats?

User avatar
gokickrocks
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby gokickrocks » Mon May 02, 2011 6:20 pm

law818 wrote:
gokickrocks wrote:Waitlisted, really??? Ridiculous.


Did you just get the waitlist offer? SW is really taking their sweet a$$ time this year. When did you apply, what are you stats?


PM'ed

thedream21
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby thedream21 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Does anyone know how competitive the part-time program is this year? Im wait-listed for the PT program. I hope there are still many seats available.

mediation_86
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 am

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby mediation_86 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm

my date changed again, and now has the 8-12 weeks status above

IR: 1/13
IR: 4/14
IR: 5/4
Decision:????

Almost four months now...anyone else have date changes?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, Baby Gaga, Caddo16lake, chasima, Christinabruin, dsberkeley, Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jdanz, lawschoolbound2017, michelekfla, mse2020, notsolawful, potterotter, premalone and 35 guests