Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zla2014

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby zla2014 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Yeah, take his advice, USC/UCLA are not worth full price at all, you probably will never find a job from either of those schools -_-

Not sure if serious.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:10 pm

lretter wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. my lsat is low because i have extreme add and can't focus on long exams - true story. As for taking the Bar... from what i've seen in my sister's practice books and such, it is much less of a mind f**k and much more practical (applicable) information, so less of a chance of getting worn out.

I will give SW a call and see if there is any chance of attaining a scholarship of any amount.

thanks again, and best wishes ;)

Unless you're a URM, you're chances are not great for scholly $

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:07 pm

biglonestar wrote:Hey everyone, I have a question to those who are already accepted...
How long on average did it take for SW to accept you? I hear its about 12 weeks but not sure if thats accurate..I've been reading some of the posts but not sure how long people have been waiting. And is anyone doing the SCALE program?
Thanks for any responses!

Complete: 10/17
Waitlisted: 3/15
Admitted: 4/12

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 pm

sanjola wrote:
biglonestar wrote:Hey everyone, I have a question to those who are already accepted...
How long on average did it take for SW to accept you? I hear its about 12 weeks but not sure if thats accurate..I've been reading some of the posts but not sure how long people have been waiting. And is anyone doing the SCALE program?

That looks like a very frustrating timeline.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:11 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
sanjola wrote:

That looks like a very frustrating timeline.

That's an understatement!

JRoFL

Postby JRoFL » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 pm

I've been complete and in review since 2/22 and today I got an email regarding an interview for SCALE. I really don't think I'm much of a SCALE candidate as my LSAT/GPA are on the low end for SW in general... let alone SCALE. Does getting an email about it mean anything positive about my application or nothing either way?

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:22 pm

JRoFL wrote:I've been complete and in review since 2/22 and today I got an email regarding an interview for SCALE. I really don't think I'm much of a SCALE candidate as my LSAT/GPA are on the low end for SW in general... let alone SCALE. Does getting an email about it mean anything positive about my application or nothing either way?

I would like to know this as well. I got an email today too about interviewing for SCALE, does this mean anything?

Annie637

Postby Annie637 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:23 pm

I have been on the waitlist at Southwestern for about 1.5 months and then today I also got an email today about interviewing for the Scale Program, even though it was not one of my choices for them. I am also curious about this and what it means?

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:46 pm

There are not a lot of SCALE students this year, that is why, go interview for SCALE, it's not that bad.

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:00 pm

So are most people thinking about attending without any scholarship?

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:08 pm

So does getting an email about SCALE actually mean anything i.e. being considered for regular admission, etc.? Anybody that was interviewed or emailed about an interview earlier in the admission cycle have an info.?

hbliam

Postby hbliam » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Southwestern is a tier 3, whittier is a tier 4. Whittier's stipulations on their scholarships are fucking ridiculous, and they have terrible bar pass rates and a 50% attrition rate. SW is really respected in LA, a lot of firms actually hold it to the same standard as Loyola law. Stay with Southwestern.

You can't seriously already have a "I got in to a tier 3, that schools just a tier 4" attitude. A month ago you were begging for tips on how to get off of Whittier's wait list and into their program. Good for you that you got accepted to SW. Don't start badmouthing other schools that you would have been happy to go to if SW wouldn't have taken you.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm not bad mouthing anyone dude, calm down. I'm just saying when I went to Whittier to visit they were unprofessional, and after my visit with them I withdrew immediately. I don't think bad of tier 4's at all, just Whittier.

hbliam

Postby hbliam » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:02 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:I'm not bad mouthing anyone dude, calm down. I'm just saying when I went to Whittier to visit they were unprofessional, and after my visit with them I withdrew immediately. I don't think bad of tier 4's at all, just Whittier.

You just badmouthed them again.

Rule one of being a lawyer. Know the answer to the questions before you ask them or...don't post claims that can be refuted with your prior claims.

You posted that you were going to visit Whittier on 4-5. You got accepted at SW on 4-11. You withdrew from Whittier on 4-14. Yep, sounds just like what you are claiming. :roll:

It's cool to be excited about the school you will be attending, just stay focused on your future instead of badmouthing a school you know you would have attended if SW had turned you down.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:10 am

No, actually I withdrew from Whittier the night of, I got the official withdrawal notice on the 14th. That's when it was official. The admissions guy working on my account came back from vacation then. I was actually officially accepted into SW on April 15th. I also started to not want to go to Whittier when my best friend told me about his bad experience. Sorry if I upset you dude, I marked out when I got into SW. I actually hold TJ and WSU to higher standards because they were more professional with me.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:10 am

And I was attending TJ if I didn't get accepted to SW, I had a 17,000 dollar scholly there and free housing.

hbliam

Postby hbliam » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:No, actually I withdrew from Whittier the night of, I got the official withdrawal notice on the 14th. That's when it was official. The admissions guy working on my account came back from vacation then. I was actually officially accepted into SW on April 15th. I also started to not want to go to Whittier when my best friend told me about his bad experience. Sorry if I upset you dude, I marked out when I got into SW. I actually hold TJ and WSU to higher standards because they were more professional with me.

I'm not upset and I hope you do well in school. I just loathe arrogance. SW is fine. Whittier is fine.

And concerning your most recent chain of events post. Yeah, sure. You forget what I do for a living.

So when are you accurately posting? Then or now? Unfortunately you lose credibility when you contradict yourself.

Oblivion_08
Post subject: Re: Southwestern 2011Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Officially accepted..ready to get this thing rolling..

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:21 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:No, actually I withdrew from Whittier the night of, I got the official withdrawal notice on the 14th. That's when it was official. The admissions guy working on my account came back from vacation then. I was actually officially accepted into SW on April 15th. I also started to not want to go to Whittier when my best friend told me about his bad experience. Sorry if I upset you dude, I marked out when I got into SW. I actually hold TJ and WSU to higher standards because they were more professional with me.

If I recall you withdrew from WSU because you said 'it was a shit hole'

thefifthspeed

Postby thefifthspeed » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 am

ljeucla wrote:So does getting an email about SCALE actually mean anything i.e. being considered for regular admission, etc.? Anybody that was interviewed or emailed about an interview earlier in the admission cycle have an info.?

I believe the email went out to everyone. I got one and I was already an admit.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 am

The official date was April 15th, the day I said I got officially accepted was when I got notice from the school that I would be accepted once the day of the 15th was over(seat deposit day). I was premature with my official post, but I was excited from what I was told. I have a iPad screenshot of my acceptance I can show you if you want. Whittier is okay, but he wanted advice I gave it to him. And I never intended to go to Whittier after I was offered the offer from TJ. I heard a lot of bad stuff about Whittier and was convinced not to think of it anymore. I am an 0L my knowledge of these schools was hazy, I'm not being ignorant, just looking out for him.

yeah I did withdraw from WSU on April 14th as well.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27 am

ljeucla wrote:So does getting an email about SCALE actually mean anything i.e. being considered for regular admission, etc.? Anybody that was interviewed or emailed about an interview earlier in the admission cycle have an info.?

I was wl on 3/15 and I did not get that email for the scale program.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:Southwestern is a tier 3, whittier is a tier 4. Whittier's stipulations on their scholarships are fucking ridiculous, and they have terrible bar pass rates and a 50% attrition rate. SW is really respected in LA, a lot of firms actually hold it to the same standard as Loyola law. Stay with Southwestern.

Here I marked out, do what you think is right, both are decent, but stats don't lie.

debili123

Postby debili123 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:52 am

singingkris wrote:

I was wl on 3/15 and I did not get that email for the scale program.

can you pls pm me your numbers?

thx

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 am

If people could please share if they were/were not emailed today about the SCALE program and whether you were admitted, waitlisted, or still in review it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:45 am

For the record:
SW:
April 11th I was told "There is good news coming my way from SW"
April 11th I was officially accepted via e-mail/status check
(I had all my information wrong here, I was accepted to LaVerne on April 15, I must have gotten it confused)
Whittier:
April 6th I e-mailed Tom Mcculloh at Whittier telling him I was offered free housing and 17,000 at TJ and he told me I would not get the same from Whittier, maybe nothing at all from them. Asked him to withdraw me

April 13th I was told to e-mail admissions myself to get the withdrawal in writing.
April 14th I was officially withdrawn.

April 6th I was told a lot of bad stuff about Whittier from my friend, and considering my tour guide told us how high she was during the tour(yeah I know) I got turned off by it. The fact that the money was better from TJ I wasn't even considering it.

------
I don't want to get off as an asshole to any of you, sorry if I came off like one, I am actually the opposite of that, I have tried diligently to help some of you get in by giving you advice over the phone and you know how I excited I am to attend the school. Personally I was turned off by Whittier from the numbers and the experiences I had, but I just parroted back what I heard about attrition and scholarship information.

Cheers.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”