Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zla2014

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby zla2014 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:44 pm

adonai wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Officially withdrew the other day. $53,000 back in the game. Good luck to all of you.

Where you headed? I thought you were planning on runnin with the SW scholly?

I got into IU-Bloomington

jiggatman21

Postby jiggatman21 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:59 am

zla2014 wrote:
adonai wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Officially withdrew the other day. $53,000 back in the game. Good luck to all of you.

Nice. Congrats on the decision. If I were you I wouldn't have ever considered SW to begin with. I would think eventually you could earn more graduating from UI-Bloomington than you would ever save by going to SW..but then again what do I know.

I sent out my wait list materials+optional essays today. This is my chance to stay close to home..I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I am fortunate enough to have close family members in law, so my biggest goal is to be able to pass the CA bar exam at the conclusion of law school and work my way in.

All things being equal, $$$ not being a big issue(not trying to sound arrogant), would you guys try to attend the highest ranked school you were admitted to (lets say Tier 2)? Or stay within your region?

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 am

jiggatman21 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:
adonai wrote:

Nice. Congrats on the decision. If I were you I wouldn't have ever considered SW to begin with. I would think eventually you could earn more graduating from UI-Bloomington than you would ever save by going to SW..but then again what do I know.

I sent out my wait list materials+optional essays today. This is my chance to stay close to home..I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I am fortunate enough to have close family members in law, so my biggest goal is to be able to pass the CA bar exam at the conclusion of law school and work my way in.

All things being equal, $$$ not being a big issue(not trying to sound arrogant), would you guys try to attend the highest ranked school you were admitted to (lets say Tier 2)? Or stay within your region?

If getting a job will not be a problem for you, and $$ is not an issue and repayment won't be an issue, then I would say go wherever you feel you will have the best experience and feel most comfortable at, cause all that matters at that point is simply having a JD.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:03 am

jiggatman21 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:
adonai wrote:

Who said I was considering it? :wink:

The truth is, I just found out a couple of weeks ago. Up until then, SW was my best option. I still have 5 apps pending though!

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 am

jiggatman21 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:
adonai wrote:

There are so many factors that go into it. If someone just wanted to go to the highest ranked school b/c of that factor alone their are making a mistake. You have to consider where you want to end up, what type of law you want to go into, the regionality of the school, the living environment of the area, what makes sense financially, the list goes on and on.

So, to answer your question, no. I am going to one of the highest ranked schools I can get into but that is definitely not the reason why I decided to pass up SW's generous offer.

jiggatman21

Postby jiggatman21 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 am

Thanks for the responses. I realize I asked a question that in the end only I can answer. These are big decisions, just wanted some insight. I appreciate the suggestions though.

Please update any wait list movement!

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 am

jiggatman21 wrote:Thanks for the responses. I realize I asked a question that in the end only I can answer. These are big decisions, just wanted some insight. I appreciate the suggestions though.

Please update any wait list movement!

ppl say these things on here time and time again. If you just do a forum search of "What school should I go to?" or something to that effect, you will see ppl bringing up similar points.

toomanyshoes

Postby toomanyshoes » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:28 pm

My bio info keeps changing on the status checker...does this mean anything?

Danimal

Postby Danimal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:44 pm

My "file complete and in review" status has changed from 1/13 to 4/14 to 4/22...I feel a decision coming?

samtheclam1

Postby samtheclam1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Danimal wrote:My "file complete and in review" status has changed from 1/13 to 4/14 to 4/22...I feel a decision coming?

mine changed from 1/13 to 4/22. hopin for some good news soon

debili123

Postby debili123 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:03 am

samtheclam1 wrote:
Danimal wrote:My "file complete and in review" status has changed from 1/13 to 4/14 to 4/22...I feel a decision coming?

full or part time?

samtheclam1

Postby samtheclam1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:07 am

debili123 wrote:
samtheclam1 wrote:

full or part time?

fulltime

thefifthspeed

Postby thefifthspeed » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:29 am

I got an acceptance today at 6PM!

Just waiting for 1 more school and I can finally make a decision.

jiggatman21

Postby jiggatman21 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:56 am

:shock:

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:01 am

I'm looking for housing if anyone is interested PM me.

biglonestar

Postby biglonestar » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:10 am

Hey everyone, I have a question to those who are already accepted...
How long on average did it take for SW to accept you? I hear its about 12 weeks but not sure if thats accurate..I've been reading some of the posts but not sure how long people have been waiting. And is anyone doing the SCALE program?
Thanks for any responses!

thefifthspeed

Postby thefifthspeed » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:10 am

biglonestar wrote:Hey everyone, I have a question to those who are already accepted...
How long on average did it take for SW to accept you? I hear its about 12 weeks but not sure if thats accurate..I've been reading some of the posts but not sure how long people have been waiting. And is anyone doing the SCALE program?
Thanks for any responses!

From when my application went from complete to accepted was about 16 weeks. Approx. dates:

Complete 12/20
In Review 1/18
Accepted 4/22

Don't know if this helps anyone but my seat deposit is set for May 10 since I was accepted late.

lretter

Postby lretter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:51 pm

hey everyone. I'm just hoping on the discussion here - went complete a few weeks after i submitted Jan 31, and just recieved my acceptance today (4/22).

My story (if anyone cares..) I applied to basically every school in cali with the exception of the top 3. My numbers are 3.47 from William and Mary (VA) and 151 *sighs* and about 6 years of securities law experience. I got into a few lower ranked school already (whittier with 11,000/yr is my best offer so far) and still pending on about 8 more.

I would like to ask what your thoughts are about whittier w/11k vs. southwestern ~0 (i'll call to see if i can get any money tomorrow). I am interested in either continuing on the securities law path, or venture into entertainment or property law. My current understanding is southwestern has a much better alumni network and a very strong externship program. from what i gather, it is also a more esteemed school..

i appreciate your thoughts :)

best,

Lenny

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Southwestern is a tier 3, whittier is a tier 4. Whittier's stipulations on their scholarships are fucking ridiculous, and they have terrible bar pass rates and a 50% attrition rate. SW is really respected in LA, a lot of firms actually hold it to the same standard as Loyola law. Stay with Southwestern.

chango

Postby chango » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:34 pm

As much as I love SWL, I don't think it's worth full price. That being said, I don't think any school in Southern California is worth full price.

I also don't think Whittier is worth half price, unless you want to practice Family Law.

I'm sure people have told you to retake, and I'm guessing you have some reason why you aren't.

lretter wrote:hey everyone. I'm just hoping on the discussion here - went complete a few weeks after i submitted Jan 31, and just recieved my acceptance today (4/22).

My story (if anyone cares..) I applied to basically every school in cali with the exception of the top 3. My numbers are 3.47 from William and Mary (VA) and 151 *sighs* and about 6 years of securities law experience. I got into a few lower ranked school already (whittier with 11,000/yr is my best offer so far) and still pending on about 8 more.

I would like to ask what your thoughts are about whittier w/11k vs. southwestern ~0 (i'll call to see if i can get any money tomorrow). I am interested in either continuing on the securities law path, or venture into entertainment or property law. My current understanding is southwestern has a much better alumni network and a very strong externship program. from what i gather, it is also a more esteemed school..

i appreciate your thoughts :)

best,

Lenny

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:45 am

Yeah, take his advice, USC/UCLA are not worth full price at all, you probably will never find a job from either of those schools -_-

If you are looking into IP/Entertainment law SW is perfect for you, just don't go to Whittier, you have a 30% chance of failure.

lretter

Postby lretter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. my lsat is low because i have extreme add and can't focus on long exams - true story. As for taking the Bar... from what i've seen in my sister's practice books and such, it is much less of a mind f**k and much more practical (applicable) information, so less of a chance of getting worn out.

I will give SW a call and see if there is any chance of attaining a scholarship of any amount.

thanks again, and best wishes ;)

lretter

Postby lretter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Does anyone have advice as to where to look for housing? What are the good/decent neighborhoods near SW?

HCG

Postby HCG » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Anyone going to the SCALE reception on the 28th?

chango

Postby chango » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:47 pm

lretter wrote:Does anyone have advice as to where to look for housing? What are the good/decent neighborhoods near SW?

A slightly edited copy and paste of my reply from several threads (maybe even this one):

I love Koreatown (SWL neighborhood): it's one of the few LA neighborhoods with a late night scene, it's conveniently located, has fewer traffic nightmares than the west side, lots of good eateries, some nice apartment complexes, or if you're luckier, some craftsman homes which may be renting a room to a student....

But if ktown isn't your cup of tea, you're a 10-15 minute drive or subway ride (i.e. not a grueling commute by any stretch) from Hollywood, North Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, South Park, Echo Park, Silverlake, Los Feliz or Melrose/Hancock Park (if you can afford it).

K-town is relatively safe, but it's certainly not crime-free, so use your good judgment and you should be fine.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”