Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
justright157

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby justright157 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Right on sister. U know I completed two additional optional essays, I attended three SW functions, I live in LA, and I applied for the part time program, and still got wait listed.... When I hear about SW saying that strong interest is important..... No one showed more interest than me and it still didn't work out. What more could I have done?

debili123 wrote:We had applied, called them a bunch of time, waisted our precious time and nerves on forums, threads, finding out this and that, I say that it is a strong interest, and especially when you see that someone did not worked hard in school and for lsat, and they get in and you are hanging from a thin string, not knowing whats gone happen, and still are interests in school, thats again a strong

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:15 pm

justright157 wrote:Right on sister. U know I completed two additional optional essays, I attended three SW functions, I live in LA, and I applied for the part time program, and still got wait listed.... When I hear about SW saying that strong interest is important..... No one showed more interest than me and it still didn't work out. What more could I have done?

debili123 wrote:We had applied, called them a bunch of time, waisted our precious time and nerves on forums, threads, finding out this and that, I say that it is a strong interest, and especially when you see that someone did not worked hard in school and for lsat, and they get in and you are hanging from a thin string, not knowing whats gone happen, and still are interests in school, thats again a strong

Did you ever throw your name out there? Did you try contacting them and then bringing up the fact you attended all those sessions?

justright157

Postby justright157 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:41 pm

most definitely. they all knew who I was. I had met with Kelly Greer early in the app cycle and then contacted her during the year. They absolutely knew my interest but still went the other way. Im not sure exactly what reason they used to justify the waitlist, but my point is that I am proof that even intense interest doesn't improve your chances. It depends on whatever reason the admissions person is thinking in their head that day at that moment.

adonai wrote:
justright157 wrote:Right on sister. U know I completed two additional optional essays, I attended three SW functions, I live in LA, and I applied for the part time program, and still got wait listed.... When I hear about SW saying that strong interest is important..... No one showed more interest than me and it still didn't work out. What more could I have done?

Did you ever throw your name out there? Did you try contacting them and then bringing up the fact you attended all those sessions?

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:10 pm

justright157 wrote:most definitely. they all knew who I was. I had met with Kelly Greer early in the app cycle and then contacted her during the year. They absolutely knew my interest but still went the other way. Im not sure exactly what reason they used to justify the waitlist, but my point is that I am proof that even intense interest doesn't improve your chances. It depends on whatever reason the admissions person is thinking in their head that day at that moment.

Yeah, that's pretty messed up. You had an LSAT at their 75th which should have made you eligible for FT, let alone PT. Are you planning on sticking through the WL? Maybe you should give them a call like sanjola did and see what response they give you, cause you had the numbers + the interest.

cool of law

Postby cool of law » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:16 pm

I agree that SW has been fairly surprising. I applied mid-November. Had a SCALE interview mid-February and still havn't heard a thing. I have several relatives and friends that graduated from there and I was and still am very interested in attending. Is it possible they Yield Protect? Should I write a LOCI?

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 pm

cool of law wrote:I agree that SW has been fairly surprising. I applied mid-November. Had a SCALE interview mid-February and still havn't heard a thing. I have several relatives and friends that graduated from there and I was and still am very interested in attending. Is it possible they Yield Protect? Should I write a LOCI?

what are your numbers?

cool of law

Postby cool of law » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:51 pm

zla2014 wrote:
cool of law wrote:I agree that SW has been fairly surprising. I applied mid-November. Had a SCALE interview mid-February and still havn't heard a thing. I have several relatives and friends that graduated from there and I was and still am very interested in attending. Is it possible they Yield Protect? Should I write a LOCI?

what are your numbers?

PMed

justright157

Postby justright157 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah I'm gonna ride out the waitlist. I emailed them and have yet to get a response... I don't think I'm gonna call though

adonai wrote:
justright157 wrote:most definitely. they all knew who I was. I had met with Kelly Greer early in the app cycle and then contacted her during the year. They absolutely knew my interest but still went the other way. Im not sure exactly what reason they used to justify the waitlist, but my point is that I am proof that even intense interest doesn't improve your chances. It depends on whatever reason the admissions person is thinking in their head that day at that moment.

Yeah, that's pretty messed up. You had an LSAT at their 75th which should have made you eligible for FT, let alone PT. Are you planning on sticking through the WL? Maybe you should give them a call like sanjola did and see what response they give you, cause you had the numbers + the interest.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:16 am

Still waiting on pins and needles here.

I was given a 10,000 dollar scholarship to Thomas Jefferson and a 10,000 dollar scholarship to Western State.

I don't care, I want Southwestern.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Still waiting on pins and needles here.

I was given a 10,000 dollar scholarship to Thomas Jefferson and a 10,000 dollar scholarship to Western State.

I don't blame you!

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Yeah, I would wait it out too with those options. Didn't you mention you had connections within the administration?

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:45 pm

has anyone heard any information on people being hired for summer positions, or full time positions if they are graduating this year?
i'm still really concerned about this because southwestern is a top choice for me but obviously at the end of the day, if you don't get a decent job then it's not really worth it

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:57 pm

ballboy899 wrote:has anyone heard any information on people being hired for summer positions, or full time positions if they are graduating this year?
i'm still really concerned about this because southwestern is a top choice for me but obviously at the end of the day, if you don't get a decent job then it's not really worth it

you can say the same for most law schools in CA, actually, for most law schools in the US. Southwestern currently has better job placement than a lot of higher ranked schools including Chapman, Santa Clara and UC Hastings. Everyone is concerned about this right now, so do your research!

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+4

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 pm

zla2014 wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:has anyone heard any information on people being hired for summer positions, or full time positions if they are graduating this year?

you can say the same for most law schools in CA, actually, for most law schools in the US. Southwestern currently has better job placement than a lot of higher ranked schools including Chapman, Santa Clara and UC Hastings. Everyone is concerned about this right now, so do your research!

don't you have to pay to get access to that site beyond their rank, tuition, and their enrollment figures?

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:59 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
zla2014 wrote:

don't you have to pay to get access to that site beyond their rank, tuition, and their enrollment figures?

no

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:01 pm

zla2014 wrote:

im aware most other students at other schools are going through the same things
i was just curious if anyone has spoken to or knows any current students, as well as if there were any students on here that could attest to that..i know you can easily look up basic figures on this but i really just wanted to know first hand if anyone had info
thanks though

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:08 pm

zla2014 wrote:

You do need a paid subscription to view those figures on the site, but I wouldn't trust what the school reports to USNWR anyway.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 pm

sanjola wrote:
zla2014 wrote:

You do need a paid subscription to view those figures on the site, but I wouldn't trust what the school reports to USNWR anyway.

You can get an idea of their employment stats without a paid subscription. Here is what it says about SW:
Careers

Graduates known to be employed at graduation 70.9% - Medium
Median private sector starting salary $75,000
Median public service starting salary $58,500

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm

sanjola wrote:

Yeah, I would wait it out too with those options. Didn't you mention you had connections within the administration?

Yeah I do, but it's still nerve wrecking, I hate the status checker, and I hate the mailman that comes everyday. UGH

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Would it be too far to live in the valley? I've only been to LA once, so not really familiar w how far everything is, but have heard that traffic can become a headache.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:03 pm

RAB wrote:Would it be too far to live in the valley? I've only been to LA once, so not really familiar w how far everything is, but have heard that traffic can become a headache.

What part of the valley? They're currently doing like a 5 year (always turns into more than estimated) construction project that started a year or two ago on the 405. Not to mention the Sepulveda pass is living hell without construction anyway. I wouldn't recommend it. Your 30 minute drive can turn into 2 hours and 30 minutes each way, pretty easily.

Time wasted driving during 1st yr of law school + $$ spent each week on gas= probably not worth living in the valley.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:42 pm

RAB wrote:Would it be too far to live in the valley? I've only been to LA once, so not really familiar w how far everything is, but have heard that traffic can become a headache.

The Valley is a big area. So if you live in North Hollywood or Studio City area, I think the drive isn't that bad (around 30 minutes) even though there would still be traffic on the 101. But if you live in Northridge, Porter Ranch, or Granada Hills, I think the drive is a lot worse, which can extend into over an hour in traffic.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:

The Valley is a big area. So if you live in North Hollywood or Studio City area, I think the drive isn't that bad (around 30 minutes) even though there would still be traffic on the 101. But if you live in Northridge, Porter Ranch, or Granada Hills, I think the drive is a lot worse, which can extend into over an hour in traffic.

If you live in the north hollywood area you could also take a 15-20 min metrorail right to the school..you could also from some parts of the valley, although you will have to make one connection..it would still beat making the drive everyday if you absolutely wanted to live there though

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 pm

I was e-mailed today to visit Southwestern this week for an interview..did anyone else get this e-mail and is this a good thing? I applied for SCALE and 3 year program btw.

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I was e-mailed today to visit Southwestern this week for an interview..did anyone else get this e-mail and is this a good thing? I applied for SCALE and 3 year program btw.

Is it for SCALE or scholarship?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”