Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swilson215

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby swilson215 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:29 am

adonai wrote:
calgirl27 wrote:
justright157 wrote:Who was there today?

I was there! i was surprised at how small the event was, esp. because the first seat deposit is so soon n i haven't heard of another ASD between now n then...

i had to leave right after the financial aid presentation though and had a question about what was said. We can make multiple seat deposits on april 15th? (i.e. to more than one school??)

You are not allowed to make multiple deposits. In June or July (I forgot which month), if I remember clearly, LSAC releases your deposit information and if they see you have deposits in other schools those schools have the right to act upon it. I think that they would revoke an acceptance just as if you violated an ED agreement.

You actually CAN make multiple seat deposits in April, since most schools require a second deposit in June. If you try to make multiple second deposits then LSAC would release that information, but lots of people make multiple first seat deposits.

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:43 pm

At the asd on saturday did they discuss the bar passage rate and why its so low? I know the california bar is tough, but their passage rate worries me.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:05 pm

RAB wrote:At the asd on saturday did they discuss the bar passage rate and why its so low? I know the california bar is tough, but their passage rate worries me.

I wasnt at asd but when talking to a couple of the SCALE students i got the impression that there are quite a few students in the traditional section that don't really take school seriously (party all the time, never study, bad grades) and so i bet that this has to do with that low passage rate somewhat and another part is that yeah, the cal. bar is supposedly one of the toughest

chango

Postby chango » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:26 pm

ballboy899 wrote:
RAB wrote:At the asd on saturday did they discuss the bar passage rate and why its so low? I know the california bar is tough, but their passage rate worries me.

I wasnt at asd but when talking to a couple of the SCALE students i got the impression that there are quite a few students in the traditional section that don't really take school seriously (party all the time, never study, bad grades) and so i bet that this has to do with that low passage rate somewhat and another part is that yeah, the cal. bar is supposedly one of the toughest

Actually, I've heard that it has more to do with Part Time students than with the traditional day students. I believe that part time students do not have as high of bar passage rates than full time students.

But there is DEFINITELY a correlation between SWL bar passage rates and grades. If you're above the median, you're likely to pass the bar the first time. If you're below the median, you're likely to fail the first time.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:39 pm

chango wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:

Actually, I've heard that it has more to do with Part Time students than with the traditional day students. I believe that part time students do not have as high of bar passage rates than full time students.

But there is DEFINITELY a correlation between SWL bar passage rates and grades. If you're above the median, you're likely to pass the bar the first time. If you're below the median, you're likely to fail the first time.

I meant to include the part time students when talking about that
but as long as you take your work seriously and get good grades then you really shouldn't worry too much about being in that big group of people who don't pass

Does anyone have any comments on the OCI data I posted on the last page?

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:37 pm

They did discuss this and were pretty ashamed of it. The only thing mentioned was they're offering extra bar classes and other programs to students. Those who participate are required to pay a $500 deposit and lose it if they miss one class.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:28 am

My professor and I actually had a long discussion on this. He said that a number of students don't follow instructions on the final exam (e.g. not using pencil to bubble in a scantron sheet, not writing your name on the exam, or arguing for both Sally and Ben when the professor only instructed you to argue for Sally) and this carries into the bar. He was extremely surprised that these law students don't even read the exam instruction.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:08 am

littlepiggie818 wrote:

My professor and I actually had a long discussion on this. He said that a number of students don't follow instructions on the final exam (e.g. not using pencil to bubble in a scantron sheet, not writing your name on the exam, or arguing for both Sally and Ben when the professor only instructed you to argue for Sally) and this carries into the bar. He was extremely surprised that these law students don't even read the exam instruction.

this is very surprising considering they are law students. I would think that at least the whole #2 pencil on scantron thing would be saturated into one's brain by now.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 am

adonai wrote:
littlepiggie818 wrote:

this is very surprising considering they are law students. I would think that at least the whole #2 pencil on scantron thing would be saturated into one's brain by now.

It was surprising to me too. But he said all the professors were complaining about students using pen on the scantron. According to him, if you follow instruction then you will do well.

chango

Postby chango » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 am

littlepiggie818 wrote:
adonai wrote:
littlepiggie818 wrote:

It was surprising to me too. But he said all the professors were complaining about students using pen on the scantron. According to him, if you follow instruction then you will do well.

Southwestern needs to face the facts that either it's failing to adequately prepare students for the bar or that it's accepting too many people who have no business in law school. Blaming it on #2 pencils is some serious straw grasping. I doubt that this professor's explanation represents the administration's official position on Southwestern's unacceptably low bar passage rates.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Waitlisted Today. Bummer

RAB

Postby RAB » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Does everyone who gets accepted receive the e-mail to interview for SCALE? I did not put it down as one of my choices, but received the e-mail today. Also, does SW offer any need-based aid?

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:35 pm

RAB wrote:Does everyone who gets accepted receive the e-mail to interview for SCALE? I did not put it down as one of my choices, but received the e-mail today. Also, does SW offer any need-based aid?

I haven't been accepted yet and had my SCALE interview on Friday. I'm pretty sure they interview most applicants, everyone I know who applied received an invite. You should do it though, a Southwestern rep. at the West Coast Consortium last weekend told me that after you interview for SCALE, your app. process goes faster.

RAB

Postby RAB » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 pm

zla2014 wrote:
RAB wrote:Does everyone who gets accepted receive the e-mail to interview for SCALE? I did not put it down as one of my choices, but received the e-mail today. Also, does SW offer any need-based aid?

I haven't been accepted yet and had my SCALE interview on Friday. I'm pretty sure they interview most applicants, everyone I know who applied received an invite. You should do it though, a Southwestern rep. at the West Coast Consortium last weekend told me that after you interview for SCALE, your app. process goes faster.

I was accepted to the full-time program last week, and think that would be a better fit for me. I still may interview for it though and see what they say. What kind of questions do they ask you?

debili123

Postby debili123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:09 pm

justright157 wrote:Waitlisted Today. Bummer

can you please share your numbers?

justright157

Postby justright157 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:19 pm

I have a 157 LSAT, but my gpa is lower than a 3.0. I applied for the pt program but still got waitlisted. I'm hoping all hope is not lost and I still get pulled off the waitlist.

debili123 wrote:

LegallyPumpkin

Postby LegallyPumpkin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:45 pm

justright157 wrote:I have a 157 LSAT, but my gpa is lower than a 3.0. I applied for the pt program but still got waitlisted. I'm hoping all hope is not lost and I still get pulled off the waitlist.

Can you tell since when you were in review?

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Wait-listed 3/15. :|

Chapman here I come! :D

justright157

Postby justright157 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:01 pm

i applied back in september but didn't go into review until december, and then in the past few months my review date kept changing. My last review date on there said 2/28 i think

LegallyPumpkin wrote:
justright157 wrote:I have a 157 LSAT, but my gpa is lower than a 3.0. I applied for the pt program but still got waitlisted. I'm hoping all hope is not lost and I still get pulled off the waitlist.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:02 pm

RAB wrote:
zla2014 wrote:

I was accepted to the full-time program last week, and think that would be a better fit for me. I still may interview for it though and see what they say. What kind of questions do they ask you?

I definitely recommend interviewing. I wouldn't exactly call it an interview. It was more of a one on one informational session about the program. The director did however ask questions about me personally, as she had read my application file and had it with her during the interview. At first I wasn't even considering the SCALE program at all because I thought 2 years was nuts to complete law school. I did it though, because I wanted to hear them out and get to know the vibe of the school. Initially, my biggest concern was not being able to network and not being able to gain in-field experience through externships. Through the interview I found out that is not the case at all. The first summer you get the opportunity to intern and then the 2nd year classes end in mid March and you get to extern from March-May and then you graduate!

She definitely won me over and I switched my first choice to SCALE. It seems like the SCALE students are more friendly with each other, hang outside of class together, study together, basically they are more tight knit than the regular day students was my impression. I also got the impression that the SCALE students were more advanced than the traditional day, that's why they interview you, to see if they think you can handle the accelerated curriculum. It didn't seem that bad though, she broke down the schedule and classes you take, and they are on a kind of quarter system, 3 classes in the first quarter, 4 in the second, etc.

The problem is, classes start like in June or July. Considering the fact I'm waitlisted at 5 different T1 schools and there is a possibility I may be admitted to one of them in August and the fact that I have 10 more schools to hear back from I probably will switch back to traditional day as my 1st choice. But if Southwestern was my top choice, without a doubt I'd go with SCALE.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:02 pm

you are better off bro. I know you were interested in SW but really Chapman is an up and coming school so you have a great alternative. and its not to far from LA at all...you will like the OC. I guess im going to Cal Western in San Diego at this point unless SW pulls me off the waitlist.

sanjola wrote:Wait-listed 3/15. :|

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:03 pm

At ASD they said need based aid is only for undergrads and not for graduate programs. Although I know that isn't really true, it is very rare for non-undergrads to get need based aid. I'd safely assume SW doesn't offer it.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:06 pm

justright157 wrote:i applied back in september but didn't go into review until december, and then in the past few months my review date kept changing. My last review date on there said 2/28 i think

LegallyPumpkin wrote:

Sorry to hear that man. With your numbers you should have at least gotten into PT for sure, esp since you applied so early. But I think it is true that a sub 3.0 has that stigma from law schools, no matter how good your LSAT is.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 pm

justright157 wrote:you are better off bro. I know you were interested in SW but really Chapman is an up and coming school so you have a great alternative. and its not to far from LA at all...you will like the OC. I guess im going to Cal Western in San Diego at this point unless SW pulls me off the waitlist.

sanjola wrote:Wait-listed 3/15. :|

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I would have only chosen SW at this point if they gave me a decent amount of scholly money. I'm just really surprised at how terribly SW handled themselves this cycle and, with numbers at their median and 6 months of waiting, they wait-listed me. I'm surprised they did the same to you too. I'm kind of curious as to how they came to the decision, but I'm already over it.

Best of luck getting off the wait-list. Did you get a scholly offer from Cal Western?

debili123

Postby debili123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Good Luck, I don't know, people who got results today all of them are wait listed, but its unfair some people with real bad scores get accepted, thats just sucks, but you have good lsat score so u will be fine.

debili123 wrote:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”