Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sanjola

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby sanjola » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 am

justright157 wrote:I doubt I'll go. Ive been to all three of their events before and showed as much interest as I could. I think they already know I'm interested....so I think I'm done attending the events. Since ur so far it would be a waste for u until u got a decision. If u plan on visiting chapman, u should visit SW at the same time after u hear from them

Yeah I'm going to visit both schools next month. I'm just hoping I get a decision from SW before then! I thought I would by now, but here I am.

Did anything interesting occur during your visits? I mean besides the standard tour, class sittings, etc.

dtl

Postby dtl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 am

Did anyone accepted to SCALE get any scholarship information? I expected at least some and have heard nothing.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:56 am

No nothing really out of the ordinary. I went to two information sessions which were exactly the same. A tour plus a mock class....then i went to diversity day as well which was about the same. I found the teachers very nice and approachable though, and the way they taught was casual and relaxed...i guess that only makes me more determined to go. All in all it was pretty much what i expected from the info days....

Lets hope the ball starts rolling after today. They seem to be giving out acceptances in spurts, but maybe it will be more of them now that deadlines are coming up.

sanjola wrote:
justright157 wrote:I doubt I'll go. Ive been to all three of their events before and showed as much interest as I could. I think they already know I'm interested....so I think I'm done attending the events. Since ur so far it would be a waste for u until u got a decision. If u plan on visiting chapman, u should visit SW at the same time after u hear from them

Yeah I'm going to visit both schools next month. I'm just hoping I get a decision from SW before then! I thought I would by now, but here I am.

Did anything interesting occur during your visits? I mean besides the standard tour, class sittings, etc.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:50 pm

justright157 wrote:No nothing really out of the ordinary. I went to two information sessions which were exactly the same. A tour plus a mock class....then i went to diversity day as well which was about the same. I found the teachers very nice and approachable though, and the way they taught was casual and relaxed...i guess that only makes me more determined to go. All in all it was pretty much what i expected from the info days....

Lets hope the ball starts rolling after today. They seem to be giving out acceptances in spurts, but maybe it will be more of them now that deadlines are coming up.

sanjola wrote:

Great! Thanks for all the info.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 pm

My status checker changed to today's date. Still no update in status though...

debili123

Postby debili123 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Do you guys know if there are more applicants at southwestern this year or last.

RAB

Postby RAB » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:My status checker changed to today's date. Still no update in status though...

On tuesday I realized my status changed to 3/7 and then on the 8th I got the email

justright157

Postby justright157 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 am

Adonai,

Can you ask them what the holdup is with applications? Maybe say you have a friend that applied early and is still waiting to hear. Thank you!

According to Top Schools, they get about 3000 applications, and send out 1000 acceptances and about 400 end up matriculating. Doesn't even feel like close to that number have been sent out yet

adonai wrote:I will probably attend and if I do I'll post a summary of the event.
justright157 wrote:U going to it? Anyone else that is please post some info afterwards!

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:09 am

dtl wrote:Did anyone accepted to SCALE get any scholarship information? I expected at least some and have heard nothing.

Accepted too, and I was wondering they same thing. A month ago they mistakenly sent me a scholarship email, when I called about it they said that there's still a chance if I get in to SCALE that I'll get a scholly, but I finally got and opened my package and nothing :cry: I was really disheartened. Unless they plan on sending them out a couple weeks later like USD. I'm going to send out an email asking, because there's only a month left before the majority of my deposits, and I'm completely lost with of this money/debt problem that we have to deal with for wanting an education. We'll my problem is not only from that but from personally [royally] f'ing up a semester.
SCALE is great 'cause you save like 30k comparable to regular full-time, but still I would really prefer to graduate with less than $100,001 in debt.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 am

MrMisiu wrote:
dtl wrote:Did anyone accepted to SCALE get any scholarship information? I expected at least some and have heard nothing.

Accepted too, and I was wondering they same thing. A month ago they mistakenly sent me a scholarship email, when I called about it they said that there's still a chance if I get in to SCALE that I'll get a scholly, but I finally got and opened my package and nothing :cry: I was really disheartened. Unless they plan on sending them out a couple weeks later like USD. I'm going to send out an email asking, because there's only a month left before the majority of my deposits, and I'm completely lost with of this money/debt problem that we have to deal with for wanting an education. We'll my problem is not only from that but from personally [royally] f'ing up a semester.
SCALE is great 'cause you save like 30k comparable to regular full-time, but still I would really prefer to graduate with less than $100,001 in debt.

I don't think scholly info comes in the admissions packet. I have a friend who has UCLA type numbers and it took him about a month to receive his scholarship interview invite. They are sent via e-mail. I am in the exact same predicament as you and I really would like to know what their scholarship process is. I think they accept students first and are sending those accepted applicants to the financial aid office for a scholarship evaluation, which further lags the whole process.

justright157 wrote:Adonai,

Can you ask them what the holdup is with applications? Maybe say you have a friend that applied early and is still waiting to hear. Thank you!

According to Top Schools, they get about 3000 applications, and send out 1000 acceptances and about 400 end up matriculating. Doesn't even feel like close to that number have been sent out yet

If it helps at all, I have heard from a reliable source that the SW admissions committee started reviewing apps really, really late this cycle. I hope, and wouldn't be surprised, if they are forced to extend their deposit deadlines. If there aren't many people at ASD this weekend, it'll probably confirm my suspicions that they haven't sent out a majority of their acceptances yet. This is the first "major" admitted students event and will be for a while so I think it'll be a good reflection of the situation. I could be wrong though and they could have already sent out most of their acceptances. TLS and LSN are not good, representative sources for T3 and below candidates especially.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm

You are right bro that they are late. I called last week and they told me on the phone that the majority of applicants haven't heard yet. She didn't tell me as why the holdup is. Even if they started late, it shouldn't be hard to catch up by now. See if u can find any more details. Thanks

justright157 wrote:Adonai,

If it helps at all, I have heard from a reliable source that the SW admissions committee started reviewing apps really, really late this cycle. I hope, and wouldn't be surprised, if they are forced to extend their deposit deadlines. If there aren't many people at ASD this weekend, it'll probably confirm my suspicions that they haven't sent out a majority of their acceptances yet. This is the first "major" admitted students event and will be for a while so I think it'll be a good reflection of the situation. I could be wrong though and they could have already sent out most of their acceptances. TLS and LSN are not good, representative sources for T3 and below candidates especially.[/quote]

am0rfati

Postby am0rfati » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Really hope you guys are right about scholarship info. I was pretty bummed to see no mention of a scholarship in my acceptance packet.

Anyone else going to ASD tomorrow?

borderlinecreep

Postby borderlinecreep » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:02 pm

I sent an email to them about scholarships. The reply I got was that she would put the letter in my file and that they periodically go through applicants for scholarship availability and in the future I may be considered. Very generic response.

calgirl27

Postby calgirl27 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:01 am

im going to the ASD tomorrow! im excited, ive only been there once and that was to take the lsat -__-

saintsfan200

Postby saintsfan200 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:21 am

borderlinecreep wrote:I sent an email to them about scholarships. The reply I got was that she would put the letter in my file and that they periodically go through applicants for scholarship availability and in the future I may be considered. Very generic response.

yeah, I got that one too. I think they're concentrating on money for SCALE people. Which kinda of sucks, but understandable from their standpoint.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Who was there today?

RAB

Postby RAB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:01 pm

I'd like to know about today as well. Idk if anyone has answered this yet, but I asked my admissions liaison if they offer travel stipends and they don't. However, she said they will be announcing other asd soon so maybe I could get a good travel deal.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:10 am

I went today, and they didn't really mention anything we didn't know. About 40ish people attended, and about 25-30 of those were full-time program students. I didn't get to ask about their admissions situation, but looking at the number of people present at ASD it seemed as if they did not send out a majority of them. I certainly expected there to be 100+ present at the least. There were also many parents present at the ASD as well.

A couple of people asked about job and employment prospects/statistics, and the Vice Dean and other faculty mentioned that Southwestern was doing quite alright despite the bad economy. However, they gave me the idea that many graduates the past couple of years have been doing nothing but volunteering or interning post-graduation. I didn't feel as if they were being completely transparent but they did say Southwestern was comparable to other schools in this rough economy so I will take their word on that. They did seem very sincere in their desire to help their students find employment and help them in any way possible, and emphasized that Southwestern is clearly for those who are interested in public interest, government, and small law in the Los Angeles area. Biglaw is possible but a rarity only for those at the way top. O'Melveny, Shepperd Mullin, Gibson, and White and Case have their pick at the top; whether those students actually eventually get hired when pitted against top candidates from other schools is their choice, albeit some of those firms have partners who have graduated from Southwestern and it seems they are dedicated to ensuring SW students have their shot.

Scholarship consideration is an ongoing process and they consider admitted students for scholarships in a separate pool. If you are awarded something, you will receive an invite to interview. It is currently an ongoing process and they hope to wrap it up by deposit deadline.

Overall, I thought it was great seeing the campus and meeting the faculty members in person. The 3Ls that spoke to us seemed very happy and content with their situation and with the school in general, despite the fact that it seemed they did not have jobs lined up for them after graduation. However, they seemed pretty confident that every class after them would fare much better in finding employment due to the economy slowly recovering. The students and career services director made it pretty clear that the past couple graduating classes were just very unlucky, and emphasized again and again that SW is a large investment and if you aren't ready/sure of it that you should stay out. It was funny because of how nicely they said it and I kept thinking back to TLS where they aren't so nice about getting that point across lol.

Other than this, there was nothing new to be learned about that you haven't heard on TLS. If you read their brochure, you would basically know everything they spoke about. Those who weren't present or who weren't able to make it this time did not miss out on much.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:18 pm

I just wanted to mention that I took a tour of the school this past week, sat in on a class and met up with a couple of students and was rather impressed with the overall feel that I had of the school as well as what the students I talked to thought of it.

I also looked up the school's OCI numbers in nalpdirectory and saw that 7 employers were listed as ones who were interviewing at Southwestern..I had SW high up on my list, but after seeing that it kind of has me second guessing myself. I know that biglaw is mostly not going to happen out of SW and I'm not one who is really looking for that anyway, but I just I would share my findings with you all and you had any other thoughts on that I would certainly like to hear them.

calgirl27

Postby calgirl27 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:22 pm

justright157 wrote:Who was there today?

I was there! i was surprised at how small the event was, esp. because the first seat deposit is so soon n i haven't heard of another ASD between now n then...

i had to leave right after the financial aid presentation though and had a question about what was said. We can make multiple seat deposits on april 15th? (i.e. to more than one school??)

justright157

Postby justright157 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Thank you to everyone for posting info on the ASD. Didn't sound too impressive but maybe now they will start to pickup. Let's hope at least

RAB

Postby RAB » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:20 pm

For others that have asked about scholarships have you mentioned that you received money at other schools or do people just mention that when they're trying to increase their scholarship?

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:21 pm

calgirl27 wrote:
justright157 wrote:Who was there today?

I was there! i was surprised at how small the event was, esp. because the first seat deposit is so soon n i haven't heard of another ASD between now n then...

i had to leave right after the financial aid presentation though and had a question about what was said. We can make multiple seat deposits on april 15th? (i.e. to more than one school??)

You are not allowed to make multiple deposits. In June or July (I forgot which month), if I remember clearly, LSAC releases your deposit information and if they see you have deposits in other schools those schools have the right to act upon it. I think that they would revoke an acceptance just as if you violated an ED agreement.
Last edited by adonai on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 pm

RAB wrote:For others that have asked about scholarships have you mentioned that you received money at other schools or do people just mention that when they're trying to increase their scholarship?

From what I read in the scholarship negotiation thread it applies to both. You should take a look at it over in the financial aid forum.

Christophosphorus

Postby Christophosphorus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Hey all,

Wanted to hop in and join the SW discussion. I applied to SW toward the beginning of February and received a few e-mails regarding the SCALE program. I set up an interview already (tomorrow!) and am looking forward to it. Just one question...

I logged into SW's application status checker for the first time today and was shocked to see that my application is listed as "Incomplete-contact admissions office." My application *should* be complete, though. Everything they've requested has been sent in, and my LSAC reports have been complete since the beginning of February.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'll call them tomorrow morning to check on this issue. I can't believe I didn't log in to check my status sooner. :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”