Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
justright157

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby justright157 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Serious? No one? Anyone?

meh3884 wrote:
samfii wrote:
justright157 wrote:Anyone go?

I'm also interested to hear about it

Maybe it really was that unattended.

RAB

Postby RAB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:07 pm

meh3884 wrote:
samfii wrote:

Lol, that actually did make me laugh. I am interested to know this also, i'd like to call admissions and find out how many ppl attended.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

RAB wrote:
meh3884 wrote:
samfii wrote:

Lol, that actually did make me laugh. I am interested to know this also, i'd like to call admissions and find out how many ppl attended.

Ditto. I would be surprised if the attendees reached double digits. The brunch was just too random.

RAB

Postby RAB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:27 pm

Isn't there another ASD in a few weeks? Can't believe next week is already march.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Yes. The guy I talked to when I called a couple of weeks ago said there will be more ASD events in the future.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:33 pm

stargazer3620 wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:has anybody taken a tour/sat in on a class there yet? i was wondering what your experience was like and how you dressed..i was just going to wear a pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt like i'd be golfing..i see other people saying they were going to get all dressed up but i wanted to know how everyone else felt

When are you going on the tour/sitting in on a class?

I'm going in about 2 weeks

justright157

Postby justright157 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Anyone have any news?

dtl

Postby dtl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 pm

I sat in on a SCALE class last week and everyone was dressed quite casually. I myself had on a nice shirt and slacks since I was heading up to an interview afterward (Stopped at my car to throw on a tie and sports jacket after class!.

Everyone was very nice. A couple people shook my hand beforeclass and told me to ask them any questions I had. All in all it seemed very laid back and friendly. There is of course a bit of an edge since everyone is competing against each other for class placement but in comparison to Loyola (which I visited) it seemed a much more easy going atmosphere.

If you are just sitting in a polo shirt would fit in quite nicely.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Got financial aid award letter today, but I don't understand it. The budget is 72k, my EFC is 0, and they have only awarded me 60k in loans. Do I get a separate award that isn't loan based later?

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 pm

adonai wrote:Got financial aid award letter today, but I don't understand it. The budget is 72k, my EFC is 0, and they have only awarded me 60k in loans. Do I get a separate award that isn't loan based later?

They probably expect you to take out your own private loans for the rest, either through your bank or applying separately for government graduate PLUS loans. Your EFC doesn't mean what you might think it does to them (i.e. you think it means a lot; they don't really care)

Edit: Also, not that it is my business...but 60k in loans!? How are you ever going to live with that?

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 pm

meh3884 wrote:
adonai wrote:Got financial aid award letter today, but I don't understand it. The budget is 72k, my EFC is 0, and they have only awarded me 60k in loans. Do I get a separate award that isn't loan based later?

They probably expect you to take out your own private loans for the rest, either through your bank or applying separately for government graduate PLUS loans. Your EFC doesn't mean what you might think it does to them (i.e. you think it means a lot; they don't really care)

Edit: Also, not that it is my business...but 60k in loans!? How are you ever going to live with that?

That's the thing, I don't know what the heck is going on. I just filled out a FAFSA and this is what they sent me. 60k in loans is obviously just completely absurd. They havent sent anything in regards to scholarships, and I don't think anyone has received scholly info. Is there a separate need-based award that they give that isn't a loan? Why do they say I need 73k for 1 year of law school? Is that what it even means? What do all these numerical values mean?

dtl

Postby dtl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Got my acceptance email today for SCALE. Did any other accepted get any scholarship info? My numbers seem high enough to net me one - 163 3.4 - anyone else get anything?

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:20 am

dtl wrote:Got my acceptance email today for SCALE. Did any other accepted get any scholarship info? My numbers seem high enough to net me one - 163 3.4 - anyone else get anything?

No scholly info in mine either, hopin' that it comes in the packet... Guess I'll see in a week when it comes in.

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 am

The same thing happened to me for fasfa and its 60 something they gave me in potential loans but yea im wondering where are the scholarships? I mean not that i think that i most def deserve one but i def think some of u do but yea the aid award didnt make complete sense to me, i mean i guess beside the low interest rate haha where is the big
Reward??

Phatslice

Postby Phatslice » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Funny I haven't heard anything back from Southwestern yet since I declined the SCALE program. I got that mass e-mail about a week ago and wasn't interested. That would be very funny if I were rejected with my 3.8/160 to the day program. I was thinking I was probably going to get a very large scholarship, but now it looks like I may not even be accepted :)

RAB

Postby RAB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Why do you think you won't be accepted?

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 pm

adonai wrote:That's the thing, I don't know what the heck is going on. I just filled out a FAFSA and this is what they sent me. 60k in loans is obviously just completely absurd. They havent sent anything in regards to scholarships, and I don't think anyone has received scholly info. Is there a separate need-based award that they give that isn't a loan? Why do they say I need 73k for 1 year of law school? Is that what it even means? What do all these numerical values mean?

I would call them. It would seem that you should have gotten scholly info before an FA award. I've heard the SW is tight with money, but they must know no one is going to pay sticker for them. But I don't understand why they would send you a letter awarding you with 60k in loans if they anticipated giving you other money. 72k is probably their estimate for tuition, high living expenses of LA, and books/travel/supplies.

If they do tell you that 60k in loans is their award, I would, with a slight snicker, tell them to politely shove their seat up their arses.

Phatslice

Postby Phatslice » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:59 pm

RAB wrote:Why do you think you won't be accepted?

I have been in review since November. My numbers are mediocre ( messed up on LSAT) but for southwestern my numbers are stellar. So if they haven't accepted me yet ( with lots of money), they definitely won't accept me. No big deal though because I have received some very nice offers from some tier 2 schools. But southwestern had an advantage in that they are 15 minutes from my house. Good luck to everyone else though :) I will post my status if it changes

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:56 pm

I got that same letter a few weeks ago and I was super ticked off because I interviewed for a scholarship last month. The letter said the same thing yours did I think, something along the lines of: Congrats here's your financial aid, then it listed a bunch of loans, efc=0." Basically, I took it to mean I got no aid, just loans...So I almost immediately ruled out Southwestern. I figured if I'm not gonna get aid and be in serious debt, I might as well go to UC Hastings(also accepted there).

HOWEVER, yesterday I received an email stating I was awarded The Wildman Scholarship of $26,500/year, renewable if grades are good. And I was also accepted to SCALE(though I didn't put it as my top choice). So that totally changes everything and makes my decision way tougher. Need to see how much Hastings is gonna offer.

So, to answer your question, yes, you might still get a separate award that isn't loan based later.

balkibartakamoose11

Postby balkibartakamoose11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 pm

If a 3rd tier school rejects a person with ur numbers I wouldn't feel disappointed at all. Obviously they are complete morons and don't really deserve a person who has worked as hard as u. I think u won't be rejected at all but I am annoyed at how long this is taking. My respect for southwestern admissions has gone way down. We're in fucking march now and u still haven't sent the majority of decisions out yet? WTF!!!!

Phatslice wrote:Funny I haven't heard anything back from Southwestern yet since I declined the SCALE program. I got that mass e-mail about a week ago and wasn't interested. That would be very funny if I were rejected with my 3.8/160 to the day program. I was thinking I was probably going to get a very large scholarship, but now it looks like I may not even be accepted :)

Phatslice

Postby Phatslice » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:24 pm

balkibartakamoose11 wrote:If a 3rd tier school rejects a person with ur numbers I wouldn't feel disappointed at all. Obviously they are complete morons and don't really deserve a person who has worked as hard as u. I think u won't be rejected at all but I am annoyed at how long this is taking. My respect for southwestern admissions has gone way down. We're in fucking march now and u still haven't sent the majority of decisions out yet? WTF!!!!

Phatslice wrote:Funny I haven't heard anything back from Southwestern yet since I declined the SCALE program. I got that mass e-mail about a week ago and wasn't interested. That would be very funny if I were rejected with my 3.8/160 to the day program. I was thinking I was probably going to get a very large scholarship, but now it looks like I may not even be accepted :)

Lol! Thanks for the anger :) yeah I actually just started checking my status checker again for southwestern a couple weeks ago. Now I am very interested in seeing their decision. Honestly I am amused, already have my law school trip booked and ready to go, so not too concerned with a ttt school. Although they are the only ttt that has yet to accept me and give me a lot of money. By the way have you heard back from them?

balkibartakamoose11

Postby balkibartakamoose11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Nope haven't heard anything yet. I applied months ago and I thought that would help but I guess not. I don't have a 160 LSAT but my numbers are around their medians. I live in CA too so I want to stay in state, but with how ling they are taking who knows now

Phatslice wrote:
balkibartakamoose11 wrote:If a 3rd tier school rejects a person with ur numbers I wouldn't feel disappointed at all. Obviously they are complete morons and don't really deserve a person who has worked as hard as u. I think u won't be rejected at all but I am annoyed at how long this is taking. My respect for southwestern admissions has gone way down. We're in fucking march now and u still haven't sent the majority of decisions out yet? WTF!!!!

Lol! Thanks for the anger :) yeah I actually just started checking my status checker again for southwestern a couple weeks ago. Now I am very interested in seeing their decision. Honestly I am amused, already have my law school trip booked and ready to go, so not too concerned with a ttt school. Although they are the only ttt that has yet to accept me and give me a lot of money. By the way have you heard back from them?

RAB

Postby RAB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Yeah I would really like to know what they're doing there. Are they waiting for feb scores to come out to see if they're going to get more applicants? Are they just going after 160+ ppl right now ( I know others have been accepted w scores not in the 160s but most ppl that are listed on lsn under sw and the users who are not verified that I have seen have mostly been 160+, one I saw yest who had a 167 and was in at ucla) ..how much longer do you think we'll have to wait?

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:06 pm

RAB wrote:Yeah I would really like to know what they're doing there. Are they waiting for feb scores to come out to see if they're going to get more applicants? Are they just going after 160+ ppl right now ( I know others have been accepted w scores not in the 160s but most ppl that are listed on lsn under sw and the users who are not verified that I have seen have mostly been 160+, one I saw yest who had a 167 and was in at ucla) ..how much longer do you think we'll have to wait?

To be honest, I've all but decided I'm going to retake in June and wait a year, so I'm about ready to withdraw my applications, and I wouldn't stop myself from mentioning in the note that "since you haven't reached a decision yet...". Maybe, just maybe, that would light a fire under it for the rest of you guys.

RAB

Postby RAB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 pm

meh3884 wrote:
RAB wrote:Yeah I would really like to know what they're doing there. Are they waiting for feb scores to come out to see if they're going to get more applicants? Are they just going after 160+ ppl right now ( I know others have been accepted w scores not in the 160s but most ppl that are listed on lsn under sw and the users who are not verified that I have seen have mostly been 160+, one I saw yest who had a 167 and was in at ucla) ..how much longer do you think we'll have to wait?

To be honest, I've all but decided I'm going to retake in June and wait a year, so I'm about ready to withdraw my applications, and I wouldn't stop myself from mentioning in the note that "since you haven't reached a decision yet...". Maybe, just maybe, that would light a fire under it for the rest of you guys.

Well that would be nice of you :-)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”