Southwestern 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
balkibartakamoose11

New

Re: Southwestern 2011

Post by balkibartakamoose11 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:04 pm

All of the 160+ LSAT people will say that the only reason they would go to SW is cause of a scholarship and not cause they really love the school.... That's my impression at least. I think u will have some definitely matriculating in the end, but not the majority. If I had a great score like that, in this market and region (LA I mean where name means everything) I would go to the highest ranked school I would get into, scholarship or not.

SW should have sent out these 160+ acceptances back in December and at this point should be sending out median acceptances. pretty ridiculous that 1 and a half months before first deposits are due, SW is sending out acceptances to reach students.
RAB wrote:So I stalked lsn today, I mean only 2-4 ppl were showing up accepted as of today and they all had 160+. One of the ppl was not showing up on the sw list though bc apparently their acct is not verified.

It also seems that a lot of the 160+'s from last year withdrew. But maybe that will be different this year. Also, last year there were 125 ppl listed under sw on lsn this year there are 67 (yes, I counted, but at least I'm at work getting paid). Also, someone else who is not showing up on the list got admitted today it says they applied 1/5 with a 154/3.54

ashle484

New

Post by ashle484 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:17 pm

ha sorry i was the one not verified but i just fixed it

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Accepted today via e-mail...no mention about scholarship.
Last edited by adonai on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

justright157

Bronze

Post by justright157 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Congrats bro!
adonai wrote:Accepted today via e-mail. 3.1/159, no mention about scholarship.

balkibartakamoose11

New

Post by balkibartakamoose11 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:35 pm

According To LSN southwestern sent a bunch of acceptances out today! They finally getting off their lazy asses?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:39 pm

balkibartakamoose11 wrote:According To LSN southwestern sent a bunch of acceptances out today! They finally getting off their lazy asses?
really? is there another way to view this because when i clicked on decision date, I only see two people haha.

balkibartakamoose11

New

Post by balkibartakamoose11 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:40 pm

If u hit the update tab it shows 4 for today.... Plus the few others who commented on here but aren't on LSN haha

lsatextreme wrote:
balkibartakamoose11 wrote:According To LSN southwestern sent a bunch of acceptances out today! They finally getting off their lazy asses?
really? is there another way to view this because when i clicked on decision date, I only see two people haha.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:29 pm

My status date changed AGAIN to today's date and I got the "In review for 8-12 weeks" added back on to the top of the page.

Basically, my file was tossed to the side until today. Great.

RAB

Bronze

Post by RAB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 pm

sanjola wrote:My status date changed AGAIN to today's date and I got the "In review for 8-12 weeks" added back on to the top of the page.

I have a feeling you're going to hear soon...I wonder if this happened to the ppl that were accepted today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justright157

Bronze

Post by justright157 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Don't give up hope! Things might be picking up!
sanjola wrote:My status date changed AGAIN to today's date and I got the "In review for 8-12 weeks" added back on to the top of the page.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Yeah I'm just being over dramatic. haha

I think it just means that they are FINALLY getting to the median applicants.

RAB

Bronze

Post by RAB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Haha...you're in nassau also right?

Everyday I begin checking my status checker at 12:15 and don't stop until around 9 ha.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Yup. That mirrors my daily routine to the tee. :lol:

I especially love giving them 15 minutes to "settle in" at the office. Is that borderline crazy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 pm

man i wish mine had some movement or something. I don't remember if I ever had that "in review for 8-12 weeks" notice on my status checker page. complete and in review 1/13

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:08 am

justright157 wrote:Congrats bro!
Thank you! This is just the first round of acceptances, there will be more to come and I know you have the #s. Who really doesn't? :shock:

Anybody here receive any scholly info? Seems like on LSN most of the people there received no info, even in the admittance packet though they definitely had the numbers to get something. I think stargazer is the only one online who received a scholly interview invite. :|

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 am

Scale interview tomorrow - What have you guys been wearing to these things?

I normally would jump at a suit but being I am sitting in on a 1.5 hour class I figure a nice dress shirt and black slacks would be passable.

Big mistake?

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 am

Ya I don't even remember when I went complete - I think it was during the Bush administration.

I like how they accepted me today, then sent me an invite to the champagne brunch which said I had to RSVP by no later than 2 days ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrMisiu

Bronze

Post by MrMisiu » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 am

They should have sent you a DeLorean with your invitation, in that case.

saintsfan200

New

Post by saintsfan200 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:13 am

Anybody here receive any scholly info? Seems like on LSN most of the people there received no info, even in the admittance packet though they definitely had the numbers to get something. I think stargazer is the only one online who received a scholly interview invite. :|
I got admitted recently, but no money.
I think they're pretty tight with money, if you look at LSN. I didn't see any non URM splitters (above 75% LSAT, below 25% GPA) get money. Granted its all self reported, but look at some of the other T3/4s in SoCal for comparison.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 pm

saintsfan200 wrote:
I think they're pretty tight with money, if you look at LSN. I didn't see any non URM splitters (above 75% LSAT, below 25% GPA) get money. Granted its all self reported, but look at some of the other T3/4s in SoCal for comparison.
stargazer got a full ride and has .1 gpa and 1 lsat point higher than you. I think they're just really pushed back with scholarship awards cause it seems like no one has gotten anything this cycle. She is a non-urm

balkibartakamoose11

New

Post by balkibartakamoose11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 pm

don't count on as many schollys going out. SW is a private law school that depends on tuition for its revenue to operate. A school like Chapman that gets funding from the main undergrad university, can give out free scholarships cause they don't really need the tuition, but are looking to move up in the rankings quickly so they can just keep getting money from the undergrad school until that happens. but SW has no main institution to fall back on so they have to get the main tuition and give out less schollys. It'll always be easier to get a scholly at a school that has a university behind it rather than a private law school with nothing backing them up....my 2 cents
adonai wrote:
saintsfan200 wrote:
stargazer got a full ride and has .1 gpa and 1 lsat point higher than you. I think they're just really pushed back with scholarship awards cause it seems like no one has gotten anything this cycle. She is a non-urm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:59 pm

balkibartakamoose11 wrote:don't count on as many schollys going out. SW is a private law school that depends on tuition for its revenue to operate. A school like Chapman that gets funding from the main undergrad university, can give out free scholarships cause they don't really need the tuition, but are looking to move up in the rankings quickly so they can just keep getting money from the undergrad school until that happens. but SW has no main institution to fall back on so they have to get the main tuition and give out less schollys. It'll always be easier to get a scholly at a school that has a university behind it rather than a private law school with nothing backing them up....my 2 cents
You should look at Santa Clara then, which totally goes against what you said. They award almost no one and when they do it rarely exceeds 4 digits. SW is very generous with scholarship money and doesn't even set a high bar to maintain it. In past cycles, almost anyone who had one number at or above the 75th%ile got some sort of scholarship. Lower ranked schools have to depend on coaxing people with scholarship money if they care anything about the rankings at all.

balkibartakamoose11

New

Post by balkibartakamoose11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm

im not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule...its not set in stone...but i wouldn't say SW is overly generous with there schollys...thats just my personal opinion....Ive seen with chapman that they gave almost full schollys to students above 160 so they could get their numbers up and it worked. SW doesn't really seem to be worried about ranking...theyve gone from 3rd tier to 4th tier two years ago back to 3rd tier...so even though they might give a little schollys...you should expect everyone over 160 to get fully schollys cause they depend on that revenue more than say chapman would...always exceptions to the rule though

adonai wrote:
balkibartakamoose11 wrote:don't count on as many schollys going out. SW is a private law school that depends on tuition for its revenue to operate. A school like Chapman that gets funding from the main undergrad university, can give out free scholarships cause they don't really need the tuition, but are looking to move up in the rankings quickly so they can just keep getting money from the undergrad school until that happens. but SW has no main institution to fall back on so they have to get the main tuition and give out less schollys. It'll always be easier to get a scholly at a school that has a university behind it rather than a private law school with nothing backing them up....my 2 cents
You should look at Santa Clara then, which totally goes against what you said. They award almost no one and when they do it rarely exceeds 4 digits. SW is very generous with scholarship money and doesn't even set a high bar to maintain it. In past cycles, almost anyone who had one number at or above the 75th%ile got some sort of scholarship. Lower ranked schools have to depend on coaxing people with scholarship money if they care anything about the rankings at all.

justright157

Bronze

Post by justright157 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:25 pm

anybody heard anything today? whos going to the champagne dreams and caviar wishes luncheon?

RAB

Bronze

Post by RAB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm

justright157 wrote:anybody heard anything today? whos going to the champagne dreams and caviar wishes luncheon?
Just did my stalking on lsn, and seems like it was a quiet day...maybe we're back to waiting again.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”