Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
justright157

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby justright157 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 pm

hey bro...i applied back in sept. i have a 157 lsat, but my gpa is lower than the median so i applied for the PT program. Not sure when im gonna hear back....ive been in review since dec so it'll be about 8 weeks now which they write is the average time....my status shows todays date with just a blank message, but it still shows me as in review....hoping this means something though!

RAB wrote:When did you guys apply? Justright, I know you said you did a while ago. What are your guys stats? Do you think you'll hear today/early necxt week or you think your files are actually in review now and were just chilling before?

RAB

Postby RAB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm sure the two of you will get acceptance emails pretty soon, keep us posted.

tllee

Postby tllee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:11 am

I agree, I have faith you guys will get in. :)

justright157

Postby justright157 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 pm

thanks! didn't get anything yet but im still hoping!

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 pm

adonai wrote:
RAB wrote:When did you guys apply? Justright, I know you said you did a while ago. What are your guys stats? Do you think you'll hear today/early necxt week or you think your files are actually in review now and were just chilling before?

Applied first week of October, over 75th for LSAT, near median for GPA. I have no idea what's going on there. Really wonder what's taking them so long besides getting started "late." IIRC, they accepted their first students (albeit very few) before Christmas.

Its called YP. Yield Protection. Part of the US News Rankings score is based on the number of people a school accepts who actually matriculate there. So when you are way above their medians, and maybe you mentioned on your apps where else you were applying to other higher ranked CA schools ( don't know but some schools ask this optional question) they don't see you as a serious applicant. It hurts Southwestern's stupid-ass US News score to let people like you in who they don't think are serious and will never accept. If you want a decision call or email them, tell them your serious about Southwestern and very concerned about not hearing from them and it could prompt a decision rendered.

This happens all the time to people at a variety of schools and it is often the result of yield protection and not the admissions department losing your file or being slow.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:18 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
adonai wrote:

Applied first week of October, over 75th for LSAT, near median for GPA. I have no idea what's going on there. Really wonder what's taking them so long besides getting started "late." IIRC, they accepted their first students (albeit very few) before Christmas.

Its called YP. Yield Protection. Part of the US News Rankings score is based on the number of people a school accepts who actually matriculate there. So when you are way above their medians, and maybe you mentioned on your apps where else you were applying to other higher ranked CA schools ( don't know but some schools ask this optional question) they don't see you as a serious applicant. It hurts Southwestern's stupid-ass US News score to let people like you in who they don't think are serious and will never accept. If you want a decision call or email them, tell them your serious about Southwestern and very concerned about not hearing from them and it could prompt a decision rendered.

This happens all the time to people at a variety of schools and it is often the result of yield protection and not the admissions department losing your file or being slow.

My numbers aren't way over their medians though. Only my LSAT but even then it is not that much. On their website admissions acceptance graph thingy, it even lists acceptance with my numbers as "possible." They've already accepted people with much better numbers than me. Unless those individuals made it clear that Southwestern is #1, I really don't think I am a case of YP. I'm really not "overqualified" for this school, nor do I think I am. Don't really think SW plays the YP game anyway cause in past years they have accepted 170+ LSATs.

SSGLawyer

Postby SSGLawyer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 pm

sanjola wrote:
chango wrote:
meh3884 wrote:
chango wrote:
Full disclosure: my beef with Chapman was about how they dealt with my questions regarding gay and lesbian campus life. Let's just say they weren't particularly comfortable with the question.

I know they technically still have a religious affiliation, but I've been under the impression they're trying to shake the image. Maybe it was the particular person you were speaking to?

Spoke to one person in the admissions department who literally said he wasn't comfortable discussing the topic. So he gave me the email of the President of their gay and lesbian student group, and she never returned my email. So then when I visited the campus, I asked several current students what they thought, and they basically all had the same sort of reply "Well, I know we have a non-discrimination policy, and I think there must be gay students here, and I think there might be a lesbian professor, but otherwise...." etc. etc.

Wow, that is kind of ridiculous. I'll make sure to touch on that subject when I visit.

Thanks chango!

Hi, I actually go to Chapman. I'm a 2L and I'm an out lesbian. I will admit to you that I was a little leery when I first enrolled at Chapman because of its reputation as a more conservative school, but I am extremely happy with my decision. I have never felt more accepted in my life. There is a very active OUTLAW group on campus which sponsors many events and speakers. Just this semester alone we have had two speakers come and talk about gay rights issues. At the same time, Chapman also has many speakers who are conservative, so you never know from week to week what kind of point of view you are going to hear. It is amazing.

I have the full support of the entire faculty, staff, and student body. I wrote my law review comment on a gay-related issue. One of our professors, Katherine Darmer, is on the board of OCEC, so we also co-sponsor events with them. In all, I can't imagine being anywhere else.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion and let everyone know that Chapman is an incredibly accepting and intellectually diverse school and I would recommend it to anyone, gay or straight. I'd also be happy to answer any further questions that anyone has.

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm

has anyone who received their acceptance packets gotten scholarship info with the packet or does that come separately?

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 pm

ashle484 wrote:has anyone who received their acceptance packets gotten scholarship info with the packet or does that come separately?

+1

I got accepted towards the middle of January and I haven't even received any kind of acceptance packet at all yet in the mail.

stargazer3620

Postby stargazer3620 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:08 pm

ashle484 wrote:has anyone who received their acceptance packets gotten scholarship info with the packet or does that come separately?

I got an email about 3 1/2 hours after my acceptance email that told me to call to schedule an interview for a scholarship, my acceptance packet didn't have anything in it about scholarship money.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:55 pm

are any of you guys in PT?

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Not that I can really answer for any of them, but from reading this site and LSN, it looks like most of the people who have heard were accepted to the full-time program, however I could be wrong.

My first choice was day, then second evening, but now idk if should switch that/can even still do that. I'm starting to think maybe going part-time would make more sense.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:20 pm

you know the admitted students day is on saturday. I think they are going to wait until afterwards to see what kind of prospects they have before they start sending out the rest of the admittances....maybe not...all this waiting is making me paranoid!

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 pm

justright157 wrote:you know the admitted students day is on saturday. I think they are going to wait until afterwards to see what kind of prospects they have before they start sending out the rest of the admittances....maybe not...all this waiting is making me paranoid!

Maybe they will have another admitted students day? Even if they were on time, February seems early to have one...but then again I suppose people apply to a lot of schools and need to decide/have deposits in by March/April.

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:08 pm

I don't get how there is an admitted students day. I know lsn and tls is a small percentage of applicants, but I feel like hardly anyone has heard. Are they expecting like 25 ppl to attend?

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 pm

RAB wrote:I don't get how there is an admitted students day. I know lsn and tls is a small percentage of applicants, but I feel like hardly anyone has heard. Are they expecting like 25 ppl to attend?

Seriously! I'm going to call them tomorrow. This is ridiculous.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:35 am

lol!

calgirl27

Postby calgirl27 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:44 am

is anyone here going on saturday?? i just rsvp-ed!

Phatslice

Postby Phatslice » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:49 am

sanjola wrote:
RAB wrote:I don't get how there is an admitted students day. I know lsn and tls is a small percentage of applicants, but I feel like hardly anyone has heard. Are they expecting like 25 ppl to attend?

Seriously! I'm going to call them tomorrow. This is ridiculous.

Did you get that email today stating that they are still looking at files and to call them if I have any questions?

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 am

No I didn't get that e-mail, Phatslice. Did it say anything else?

stargazer3620

Postby stargazer3620 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:57 am

calgirl27 wrote:is anyone here going on saturday?? i just rsvp-ed!

I wish I were, it's just too much to fly across country for a weekend trip. Have an awesome time though! You'll have to report back to everyone who didn't go about how it was. :)

calgirl27

Postby calgirl27 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:13 am

stargazer3620 wrote:
calgirl27 wrote:is anyone here going on saturday?? i just rsvp-ed!

I wish I were, it's just too much to fly across country for a weekend trip. Have an awesome time though! You'll have to report back to everyone who didn't go about how it was. :)

will do!! : )

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 am

sanjola wrote:No I didn't get that e-mail, Phatslice. Did it say anything else?

Didn't get that one either. Copy and paste??

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:33 am

meh3884 wrote:

+1

Also, does it appear on their website that there is an "Admitted Students Day" this Saturday or were only the admitted students notified?

I just feel completely shut out with this school and it's one of my top choices.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:36 am

sanjola wrote:
meh3884 wrote:

+1

Also, does it appear on their website that there is an "Admitted Students Day" this Saturday or were only the admitted students notified?

I just feel completely shut out with this school and it's one of my top choices.

+1. They are really not functioning well this year. Blank status checkers, constant date updates with no actual updates, certain applicants getting certain e-mails, etc. etc. What is going on there?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”