Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sanjola

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby sanjola » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 pm

chango wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:I realize everyone wants to feel loved and wanted, but i'm not sure how that fares in terms of choosing which law school to attend.

If that was the standard by which school I'd go to, I'd have to go with "San Francisco Law School," whose dean of admissions called me today and asked me nicely if I'd like an information packet (which I refused).

Law school is three years of your life. It's important to be somewhere you feel comfortable.

Would I rather go to Stanford and dislike it or San Francisco Law School and love it? Most definitely. But Chapman vs. Southwestern is a close enough call to warrant bringing in "softs."

But like I said, I think $$ should be a much larger factor.

Full disclosure: my beef with Chapman was about how they dealt with my questions regarding gay and lesbian campus life. Let's just say they weren't particularly comfortable with the question.

Wait, what did they say about gay and lesbian life on campus? That will also factor into my decision if they aren't cool with gays.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 pm

meh3884 wrote:
chango wrote:
Full disclosure: my beef with Chapman was about how they dealt with my questions regarding gay and lesbian campus life. Let's just say they weren't particularly comfortable with the question.

I know they technically still have a religious affiliation, but I've been under the impression they're trying to shake the image. Maybe it was the particular person you were speaking to?

Spoke to one person in the admissions department who literally said he wasn't comfortable discussing the topic. So he gave me the email of the President of their gay and lesbian student group, and she never returned my email. So then when I visited the campus, I asked several current students what they thought, and they basically all had the same sort of reply "Well, I know we have a non-discrimination policy, and I think there must be gay students here, and I think there might be a lesbian professor, but otherwise...." etc. etc.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:04 pm

chango wrote:
meh3884 wrote:
chango wrote:

I know they technically still have a religious affiliation, but I've been under the impression they're trying to shake the image. Maybe it was the particular person you were speaking to?

Spoke to one person in the admissions department who literally said he wasn't comfortable discussing the topic. So he gave me the email of the President of their gay and lesbian student group, and she never returned my email. So then when I visited the campus, I asked several current students what they thought, and they basically all had the same sort of reply "Well, I know we have a non-discrimination policy, and I think there must be gay students here, and I think there might be a lesbian professor, but otherwise...." etc. etc.

Wow, that is kind of ridiculous. I'll make sure to touch on that subject when I visit.

Thanks chango!

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:13 pm

sanjola wrote:
chango wrote:

Wow, that is kind of ridiculous. I'll make sure to touch on that subject when I visit.

Thanks chango!

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. I have a fear of ending up at a stick-up-ass school, didn't think of Chapman as that kind of place.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 pm

if your gay and that is a big factor, then ucla is perfect for you...they have a whole queen center that focuses on issues like prop 8. but chapman and sw and especially pepperdine are known for their conservatism....

sanjola wrote:
chango wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:I realize everyone wants to feel loved and wanted, but i'm not sure how that fares in terms of choosing which law school to attend.

If that was the standard by which school I'd go to, I'd have to go with "San Francisco Law School," whose dean of admissions called me today and asked me nicely if I'd like an information packet (which I refused).

Law school is three years of your life. It's important to be somewhere you feel comfortable.

Would I rather go to Stanford and dislike it or San Francisco Law School and love it? Most definitely. But Chapman vs. Southwestern is a close enough call to warrant bringing in "softs."

But like I said, I think $$ should be a much larger factor.

Wait, what did they say about gay and lesbian life on campus? That will also factor into my decision if they aren't cool with gays.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 pm

i wouldn't say that this is ridiculous. who really cares

sanjola wrote:
chango wrote:
meh3884 wrote:
chango wrote:

Thanks chango!

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm

balkibartakamoose wrote:if your gay and that is a big factor, then ucla is perfect for you...they have a whole queen center that focuses on issues like prop 8. but chapman and sw and especially pepperdine are known for their conservatism....

I knew Pepperdine...but SW, really? Examples/issues?

edit: I'm pretty sure gays and lesbians care a lot....

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm

balkibartakamoose wrote:if your gay and that is a big factor, then ucla is perfect for you...they have a whole queen center that focuses on issues like prop 8. but chapman and sw and especially pepperdine are known for their conservatism....

I wouldn't be posting in this thread if I could get into UCLA. :wink:

And as a gay man, I do care.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 pm

ive just heard of how sw is one of these schools where the gay agenda is not so big....especially to its large minority student population...minority populations are never as open about putting something up an ass as whites are....haha

all joking aside if your going to law school to get into further the gay agenda, i would think a san francisco school would be best...am i right? either san fran...or maybe alabama....or kentucky?

meh3884 wrote:

I knew Pepperdine...but SW, really? Examples/issues?

edit: I'm pretty sure gays and lesbians care a lot....

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 pm

balkibartakamoose wrote:ive just heard of how sw is one of these schools where the gay agenda is not so big....especially to its large minority student population...minority populations are never as open about putting something up an ass as whites are....haha

I'm starting to think you don't actually know anything about any of these schools, much less the social/cultural aspects of minority groups.

And I'd be careful with your jokes. They're certainly not funny and borderline offensive.
Last edited by meh3884 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:29 pm

my answer to your statement is in your name....meh

[/quote]

I'm starting to think you don't actually know anything about any of these schools.

And I'd be careful with your jokes. They're certainly not funny and borderline offensive.[/quote]

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 pm

come on...blacks and hispanics are pro gay?

meh3884 wrote:
balkibartakamoose wrote:ive just heard of how sw is one of these schools where the gay agenda is not so big....especially to its large minority student population...minority populations are never as open about putting something up an ass as whites are....haha

I'm starting to think you don't actually know anything about any of these schools, much less the social/cultural aspects of minority groups.

And I'd be careful with your jokes. They're certainly not funny and borderline offensive.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm not going to law school to further my gay agenda. It's not even a top concern of mine when choosing a school. However, if a school isn't "gay friendly" or open minded I will not be fully comfortable during my time there. Why would I risk having an uncomfortable, maybe even miserable, environment when it is avoidable? It won't be my deciding factor, but it will be a factor nonetheless.

And yeah, that joke was not cool.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

my bad bro...i might jest but im not redneck...so i won't make fun anymore...i highly doubt you would be uncomfortable or even miserable at sw...i haven't heard of it as being as conservative as pepperdine...so i really wouldn't worry

sanjola wrote:I'm not going to law school to further my gay agenda. It's not even a top concern of mine when choosing a school. However, if a school isn't "gay friendly" or open minded I will not be fully comfortable during my time there. Why would I risk having an uncomfortable, maybe even miserable, environment when it is avoidable? It won't be my deciding factor, but it will be a factor nonetheless.

And yeah, that joke was not cool.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm currently at Southwestern.

Southwestern is EXTREMELY committed to diversity: it's not just something they put in their glossy literature, but it's something that informs their curriculum, their outreach, their involvement with the community, their legal research, etc. Southwestern has had a progressive reputation for most, if not for all, of its 100 years.

Let me back-peddle a bit about Chapman: I'm not at Chapman, and so although I personally had a negative experience with them, it could be a fluke and not at all representative. Better to deal with this issue in the Chapman thread. Same with UCLA, Loyola, Pepperdine, etc.

Back to Southwestern. I was pretty concerned with it's ranking, especially because it wasn't the best school I got into. Again, I can't fairly compare it to a place I haven't attended, but I can say that on its own merits, I've been extremely impressed by the caliber of the faculty, administration, facilities, career services center, externship opportunities, campus organizations, other students, etc. I certainly feel like I'm getting an excellent legal education. Would I be getting a better education at Loyola or Pepperdine? Again, who knows, because unless I go to both schools, it's pretty much conjecture. But I can say, with confidence, that I love it at Southwestern, and have zero regrets.

jackjacky

Postby jackjacky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Hey guys.. mine also switched over to First deposit $500. Also my status date changed to 02/02/11. I spoke to admissions and the guy told me it might be a glitch or you might have been accepted. So its kinda of up in the air , anybody else know whats going on ?

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 pm

jackjacky wrote:Hey guys.. mine also switched over to First deposit $500. Also my status date changed to 02/02/11. I spoke to admissions and the guy told me it might be a glitch or you might have been accepted. So its kinda of up in the air , anybody else know whats going on ?

Wait the date change or the deposit showing up is a glitch/possible acceptance? Cause I have the deposits but my status data hasn't changed.

jackjacky

Postby jackjacky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 pm

meh3884 wrote:
jackjacky wrote:Hey guys.. mine also switched over to First deposit $500. Also my status date changed to 02/02/11. I spoke to admissions and the guy told me it might be a glitch or you might have been accepted. So its kinda of up in the air , anybody else know whats going on ?

Wait the date change or the deposit showing up is a glitch/possible acceptance? Cause I have the deposits but my status data hasn't changed.

My first status date was 1/28/11. It changed to 2/2/11 and the deposits showed up. The glitch or possible acceptance is about the deposits.

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 pm

jackjacky wrote:

My first status date was 1/28/11. It changed to 2/2/11 and the deposits showed up. The glitch or possible acceptance is about the deposits.

Seems like everyone here has had the deposits show up, so I'm hopeful that it means acceptance (especially given the fin aid email a few days ago) but cautious and realistic that its a glitch.

Southwestern emails decisions, correct?

jackjacky

Postby jackjacky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:44 pm

meh3884 wrote:
jackjacky wrote:

Seems like everyone here has had the deposits show up, so I'm hopeful that it means acceptance (especially given the fin aid email a few days ago) but cautious and realistic that its a glitch.

Southwestern emails decisions, correct?

Yea southwestern emails them out. I hope it means acceptance that would be sweet but I guess its better to forget about it and just wait for the email.

LegallyPumpkin

Postby LegallyPumpkin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:51 pm

I think they have a problem with the website. I called their admissions office 2 hours ago to ask why my Online Status Check page didn't show any information. The woman looked me up and couldn't see any info except that I was still under review. She was very surprised. She said that it was a system glitch and that she didn't know when the system would be restored because the woman responsible for this part was at a conference.

RAB

Postby RAB » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Yeah, unfortunately I think its a glitch. It doesn't say 500 under the amt. Due, just next to the 1st and 2nd deposit. As for the fin aid email, my app was there in dec. But went under review 1/21, so I don't think a decision was made in a week.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Just found out that SW will now be only accepting people with 179's and above.....tough luck biatches! (btw i got a perfect 200 LSAT)

lawmantentwo

Postby lawmantentwo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Wow...you guys have some balls if you're going to southwestern law. Like...I just want to know...and ive asked this on other forums...how does it make sense to go to law school if you're not going to have a job when you come out...I just want to know.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 pm

shut the fuck up beyotch. Im gonna be working for your mom fucking her in the ass full time 40 hours a week...good benefits too bro!

lawmantentwo wrote:Wow...you guys have some balls if you're going to southwestern law. Like...I just want to know...and ive asked this on other forums...how does it make sense to go to law school if you're not going to have a job when you come out...I just want to know.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”