Southwestern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Southwestern 2011

Postby 2807 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:12 pm

(re-post)

Does anyone know if the SCALE interview is a good sign that you are in? OR is it still a numbers game and you have to wait more until all SCALE apps are done?

I am invited to interview and very excited, but do not want to get my hopes up if this is just a function of the process and nothing more.

Any SCALE advice and info would be great !

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:16 pm

2807 wrote:(re-post)

Does anyone know if the SCALE interview is a good sign that you are in? OR is it still a numbers game and you have to wait more until all SCALE apps are done?

I am invited to interview and very excited, but do not want to get my hopes up if this is just a function of the process and nothing more.

I'm sure it is a good sign. I've heard the SCALE interview is just to gauge your interest in the program and to see if you are mature/prepared to know what you are doing cause it's an accelerated program.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 pm

sanjola wrote:
RAB wrote:Are you guys mostly from the la area? I'm from ny, and if accepted I am most definitely going to make the move, but only know 2 ppl in la. Not that law school is about going out and having fun, but was interested to see if there are others that don't really know too many people out there.

I'm from NY also and will be moving to California for the fall semester. Southwestern is my #1 choice, but I'll be going to Chapman if I don't get in.

What part of NY is everyone from?

I'm with justright. Why would you go to Southwestern over Chapman. Personally I think it would be more difficult to get into Chapman, plus I think that they have a better reputation in Orange County than Southwestern has in LA. I'm from about 2 hours north of LA.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 pm

RAB wrote:
sanjola wrote:
RAB wrote:Are you guys mostly from the la area? I'm from ny, and if accepted I am most definitely going to make the move, but only know 2 ppl in la. Not that law school is about going out and having fun, but was interested to see if there are others that don't really know too many people out there.

I'm from NY also and will be moving to California for the fall semester. Southwestern is my #1 choice, but I'll be going to Chapman if I don't get in.

Long island here.

Nassau county here!

I would much rather go to school/live in LA, but I have to still weigh my options.

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm

swilson215 wrote:
sanjola wrote:

I'm with justright. Why would you go to Southwestern over Chapman. Personally I think it would be more difficult to get into Chapman, plus I think that they have a better reputation in Orange County than Southwestern has in LA. I'm from about 2 hours north of LA.

I got into Chapman and would go there over Southwestern if Southwestern could not give me at least half-tuition. ITE, I don't think Tier 2 and 3 have any differences besides region. Lots of LA PI, Govt, and law offices do OCI at Chapman anyway.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 pm

adonai wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
sanjola wrote:

I got into Chapman and would go there over Southwestern if Southwestern could not give me at least half-tuition. ITE, I don't think Tier 2 and 3 have any differences besides region. Lots of LA PI, Govt, and law offices do OCI at Chapman anyway.

Yeah, I would go to Chapman if it was between those two, personally. I have friends who have graduated from Chapman and they speak very highly of it. One works in Riverside and one works in Costa Mesa.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:15 pm

adonai wrote:

I'm sure it is a good sign. I've heard the SCALE interview is just to gauge your interest in the program and to see if you are mature/prepared to know what you are doing cause it's an accelerated program.

I actually had a SCALE interview already and it pretty much is just an informative kind of thing where you learn more about the program and see if it would be something you'd be interested in. I couldn't really tell how much it meant as far as selection for the program because I was told that won't even happen for a little bit longer.

Postby 2807 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 pm

ballboy899 wrote:
adonai wrote:

I actually had a SCALE interview already and it pretty much is just an informative kind of thing where you learn more about the program and see if it would be something you'd be interested in. I couldn't really tell how much it meant as far as selection for the program because I was told that won't even happen for a little bit longer.

Ahh, thank you. So, I guess the interview happens and we return to the mix and wait. I am still curious if there are any numbers on the people who interviewed--but did not get accepted. I really really really want the SCALE program. Hoping the interview goes well.

Anyone want to chime in on what makes them NOT want SCALE? I would be interested in what others think I would be "missing"

chango

Postby chango » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 pm

adonai wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
sanjola wrote:

I recall seeing a chart of where Chapman students end up practicing vs. where SWL students end up practicing (can't find it now), and relatively few Chapman students work in LA County and visa versa, so if you want to work in Orange County (or, to a lesser extent, Riverside) go to Chapman. If you want to work in Los Angeles, then go to Southwestern . If you don't care, then it's a tougher choice, although I'd think $$ would then be the main factor.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:08 am

I just want to offer up an unsolicited advice. Unless you are really WILLING to work your butt off for two years, don't do SCALE! It's an extremely tough program. Your class is smaller, but you are graded on a stricter curve and you are ranked with the regular day student. Plus you only get 2 weeks off for the entire year (which is during winter break).

I am pretty sure if you received a SCALE interview, you are in.

On a more personal note, Chapman offered me more $ than Southwestern, but I chose Southwestern instead because I wanted to remain in LA. Southwestern was and is great to me, whereas Chapman never gave me such a great vibe (but this is just my personal opinion).

chango

Postby chango » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am

littlepiggie818 wrote:I just want to offer up an unsolicited advice. Unless you are really WILLING to work your butt off for two years, don't do SCALE! It's an extremely tough program. Your class is smaller, but you are graded on a stricter curve and you are ranked with the regular day student. Plus you only get 2 weeks off for the entire year (which is during winter break).

On a more personal note, Chapman offered me more $ than Southwestern, but I chose Southwestern instead because I wanted to remain in LA. Southwestern was and is great to me, whereas Chapman never gave me such a great vibe (but this is just my personal opinion).

Chapman was downright rude to me. Loyola largely indifferent. Southwestern was, and continues to be, amazing.

Postby 2807 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:I just want to offer up an unsolicited advice. Unless you are really WILLING to work your butt off for two years, don't do SCALE! It's an extremely tough program. Your class is smaller, but you are graded on a stricter curve and you are ranked with the regular day student. Plus you only get 2 weeks off for the entire year (which is during winter break).

Thank you. I am very open to the program, but it is intimidating. I am hoping to speak with actual SCALE students to get a grasp. I did speak with one who was into the second year and she said the first half of the first year was brutal but once you get the hang of it all it was great! She was very happy she did it.

If there are more SCALE informers out there I would love to hear any/all comments. Thanks

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:16 pm

not to be a downer, but anyone really comparing chapman vs sw really needs to slow down and think about the situation. chapman has risen the ranks so quickly that you can truly expect great things from them in the next few years. They should be rising to the level of a pepperdine or loyola in the next few years. Im looking to go to southwestern myself cause i really have no shot at chapman, but if i did get a shot at chapman I would totally go there no doubt. I know that alot of you are pro SW so you won't try and talk bad about them, but I live in LA and seriously SW is really considered the bottom choice of law schools in Los Angeles. Firms go to UCLA, USC, Pepperdine and Loyola and soon Chapman before they look at a SW grad. Its all about the name and rank my friends. Again im not trying to diss SW cause i want to go there myself, but I really don't think you can compare Chapman in the next few years to SW.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:35 pm

balkibartakamoose wrote:not to be a downer, but anyone really comparing chapman vs sw really needs to slow down and think about the situation. chapman has risen the ranks so quickly that you can truly expect great things from them in the next few years. They should be rising to the level of a pepperdine or loyola in the next few years. Im looking to go to southwestern myself cause i really have no shot at chapman, but if i did get a shot at chapman I would totally go there no doubt. I know that alot of you are pro SW so you won't try and talk bad about them, but I live in LA and seriously SW is really considered the bottom choice of law schools in Los Angeles. Firms go to UCLA, USC, Pepperdine and Loyola and soon Chapman before they look at a SW grad. Its all about the name and rank my friends. Again im not trying to diss SW cause i want to go there myself, but I really don't think you can compare Chapman in the next few years to SW.

I understand that a lot of firms do look at ranking. So this is a choice you make when you decide what school you want to go to. I am not interested in working for a firm, but came to law school to do public interest work. Thus it felt right to me to pick a school that gave me money, but also has connections with the Public Interest community. (Although now that I look at it, Southwestern seems to have even stronger connections with the entertainment industry.) Obviously if I could have gotten into UCLA with money then I would have taken that route over Southwestern. But considering the number I had, the amount of money I received, and my decision to remain within LA, Southwestern was a right choice for me. It might not be the right choice for everyone. I am just offering up my opinions from what I have experienced here at Southwestern and my experience while applying to law school.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:51 pm

thank you for your opinion. I wasn't trying to bash you in anyway either, I hope you know that. I just wanted to make a comment cause I was just surprised at how some people were thinking. A majority of law applicants will never get a decent scholarship, and will most likely have to go into debt somewhere, so my advice is just pick the best school you can that will help you get a job as soon as you get out, and since firms are always impressed by rank and prestige, those schools can only help you.

littlepiggie818 wrote:
balkibartakamoose wrote:not to be a downer, but anyone really comparing chapman vs sw really needs to slow down and think about the situation. chapman has risen the ranks so quickly that you can truly expect great things from them in the next few years. They should be rising to the level of a pepperdine or loyola in the next few years. Im looking to go to southwestern myself cause i really have no shot at chapman, but if i did get a shot at chapman I would totally go there no doubt. I know that alot of you are pro SW so you won't try and talk bad about them, but I live in LA and seriously SW is really considered the bottom choice of law schools in Los Angeles. Firms go to UCLA, USC, Pepperdine and Loyola and soon Chapman before they look at a SW grad. Its all about the name and rank my friends. Again im not trying to diss SW cause i want to go there myself, but I really don't think you can compare Chapman in the next few years to SW.

I understand that a lot of firms do look at ranking. So this is a choice you make when you decide what school you want to go to. I am not interested in working for a firm, but came to law school to do public interest work. Thus it felt right to me to pick a school that gave me money, but also has connections with the Public Interest community. (Although now that I look at it, Southwestern seems to have even stronger connections with the entertainment industry.) Obviously if I could have gotten into UCLA with money then I would have taken that route over Southwestern. But considering the number I had, the amount of money I received, and my decision to remain within LA, Southwestern was a right choice for me. It might not be the right choice for everyone. I am just offering up my opinions from what I have experienced here at Southwestern and my experience while applying to law school.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Breaking into T-100 once does not equal "has risen the ranks so quickly that you can truly expect great things from them in the next few years."

If you're gunning for biglaw don't pin your hopes on either Chapman or SWL.

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:49 pm

honestly they got ABA approval in 02 and have been going up up ever since. Their avg lsat went up to a 159 from last sept incoming class according to their admissions department, which should jump them to the 80th range or higher this april. Some schools have been in third or fouth tier for 30 or 40 years and never made a move!

i agree with your second statement though.

chango wrote:

Breaking into T-100 once does not equal "has risen the ranks so quickly that you can truly expect great things from them in the next few years."

If you're gunning for biglaw don't pin your hopes on either Chapman or SWL.

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Chapman was one of my top choices before I didn't do as well as I wanted on the LSAT. If I end up taking a year off and retaking (which is looking more likely) I'm hoping it doesn't become out of reach, cause I agree--Chapman is on the move in the rankings.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm

chango wrote:

Chapman was downright rude to me. Loyola largely indifferent. Southwestern was, and continues to be, amazing.

What makes SW so amazing to you? How is the employment environment right now at SW?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm

I realize everyone wants to feel loved and wanted, but i'm not sure how that fares in terms of choosing which law school to attend.

If that was the standard by which school I'd go to, I'd have to go with "San Francisco Law School," whose dean of admissions called me today and asked me nicely if I'd like an information packet (which I refused).

balkibartakamoose

Postby balkibartakamoose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:27 pm

The dean called you? Jeeeeezzzz...must be a slow day over there at USF. The least you could have done was asked for a full scholly plus a parking spot from the school.....at the very least

lsatextreme wrote:I realize everyone wants to feel loved and wanted, but i'm not sure how that fares in terms of choosing which law school to attend.

If that was the standard by which school I'd go to, I'd have to go with "San Francisco Law School," whose dean of admissions called me today and asked me nicely if I'd like an information packet (which I refused).

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:33 pm

I don't want to jump the gun since I haven't received a decision from Southwestern yet, but I'm basing my choice on location and hopeful $$ from SW. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about getting into Chapman, but I don't know anything about OC and don't know if a JD from there will travel well to LA.

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:43 pm

balkibartakamoose wrote:The dean called you? Jeeeeezzzz...must be a slow day over there at USF. The least you could have done was asked for a full scholly plus a parking spot from the school.....at the very least

lsatextreme wrote:I realize everyone wants to feel loved and wanted, but i'm not sure how that fares in terms of choosing which law school to attend.

USF Law is not the same as SF Law. SF law is not even ABA accredited.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Law school is three years of your life. It's important to be somewhere you feel comfortable.

Would I rather go to Stanford and dislike it or San Francisco Law School and love it? Most definitely. But Chapman vs. Southwestern is a close enough call to warrant bringing in "softs."

But like I said, I think $$ should be a much larger factor.

Full disclosure: my beef with Chapman was about how they dealt with my questions regarding gay and lesbian campus life. Let's just say they weren't particularly comfortable with the question.

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:48 pm

chango wrote:
Full disclosure: my beef with Chapman was about how they dealt with my questions regarding gay and lesbian campus life. Let's just say they weren't particularly comfortable with the question.

I know they technically still have a religious affiliation, but I've been under the impression they're trying to shake the image. Maybe it was the particular person you were speaking to?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”