Louisville 2010 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jtb00711

Re: Louisville 2010 Applicants

Postby jtb00711 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Good Luck to everyone else who's applied to UL!

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:12 pm

jtb00711 wrote:Good Luck to everyone else who's applied to UL!

Thanks! Best of luck with the rest of your cycle.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:18 pm

File held today. I guess I should write a LOCI.

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Albatross wrote:File held today. I guess I should write a LOCI.

Better result than many today, good luck!

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:28 pm

By the way - Is anybody considering Louisville as a top choice? I used to go to Louisville when I was a kid to skate at that concrete park, but I don't really know much about how well they do - as in, what an average salary is for Louisville's top firms. And further, do Louisville grads typically land solid jobs in the Louisville area?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Albatross wrote:By the way - Is anybody considering Louisville as a top choice? I used to go to Louisville when I was a kid to skate at that concrete park, but I don't really know much about how well they do - as in, what an average salary is for Louisville's top firms. And further, do Louisville grads typically land solid jobs in the Louisville area?

Louisville is my top choice, mainly because I am moving there this summer. I have been to the city many times and strongly prefer it to Lexington.

From the numbers I turned up in research, average starting salary for provate practice ranged from 60K to 80K a year, although I did see where people made over 100K a year starting. Strongest job placement appears to be in louisville and nashville. So yeah, I would say Louisville would be the most likely place to find employment upon graduation, especially if you are able to integrate yourself into the firms during the summers.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:51 am

Just went and visited the law school today. I was able to meet with Dean Hamilton, even though all classes were cancelled due to snow. It went really well and I was thoroughly impressed with everything. It was a very friendly, relaxing visit and he answered all of my questions thoroughly. If any of you have the chance to schedule a visit, I think it will greatly help in your chances for admission and potential scholarship money. He is one of four adcomms who vote on candidates, so becoming familair with him was a great opportunity.

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Just went and visited the law school today. I was able to meet with Dean Hamilton, even though all classes were cancelled due to snow. It went really well and I was thoroughly impressed with everything. It was a very friendly, relaxing visit and he answered all of my questions thoroughly. If any of you have the chance to schedule a visit, I think it will greatly help in your chances for admission and potential scholarship money. He is one of four adcomms who vote on candidates, so becoming familair with him was a great opportunity.

Ah the consequence of not applying to any law schools within a 1000 miles of me.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:23 pm

meh3884 wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:Just went and visited the law school today. I was able to meet with Dean Hamilton, even though all classes were cancelled due to snow. It went really well and I was thoroughly impressed with everything. It was a very friendly, relaxing visit and he answered all of my questions thoroughly. If any of you have the chance to schedule a visit, I think it will greatly help in your chances for admission and potential scholarship money. He is one of four adcomms who vote on candidates, so becoming familair with him was a great opportunity.

Ah the consequence of not applying to any law schools within a 1000 miles of me.

lol, thus why Louisville is the only school I will be visiting.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Also, when I visited with the Dean he told me that they are almost finished with all December applicants and are currently starting on January applications. Just wanted to pass that info on.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 pm

how long until you get the official note in the mail? I was accepted early last week via staus checker, but was wondering when I should expect something in the mail.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 pm

northwood wrote:how long until you get the official note in the mail? I was accepted early last week via staus checker, but was wondering when I should expect something in the mail.

I believe it takes 1-2 weeks via snail mail for you to get your admissions packet containing scholarship information. So you should receive it sometime this week.

bizjunkie4

Postby bizjunkie4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:25 pm

I am a 2L here at Louisville. If any of you have specific questions about the school, the admissions process, or the community feel free to ask away. I also write a blog about the law school here. http://uofllawschool.blogspot.com/

For some of you, taking the LSAT a second time may be an option you want to explore. The February exam is still available, for example. I took the test twice, and my score jumped significantly. That doesn't happen for everyone, but it's worth consideration.

- Alex Davis

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm

bizjunkie4 wrote:I am a 2L here at Louisville. If any of you have specific questions about the school, the admissions process, or the community feel free to ask away. I also write a blog about the law school here. http://uofllawschool.blogspot.com/

For some of you, taking the LSAT a second time may be an option you want to explore. The February exam is still available, for example. I took the test twice, and my score jumped significantly. That doesn't happen for everyone, but it's worth consideration.

- Alex Davis

Last I checked, the February LSAT was closed for registration.

bizjunkie4

Postby bizjunkie4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:
Albatross wrote:By the way - Is anybody considering Louisville as a top choice? I used to go to Louisville when I was a kid to skate at that concrete park, but I don't really know much about how well they do - as in, what an average salary is for Louisville's top firms. And further, do Louisville grads typically land solid jobs in the Louisville area?

Louisville is my top choice, mainly because I am moving there this summer. I have been to the city many times and strongly prefer it to Lexington.

From the numbers I turned up in research, average starting salary for provate practice ranged from 60K to 80K a year, although I did see where people made over 100K a year starting. Strongest job placement appears to be in louisville and nashville. So yeah, I would say Louisville would be the most likely place to find employment upon graduation, especially if you are able to integrate yourself into the firms during the summers.

Figures lie and liars figure, but I would say the top employers are closer to 85k-95k, and the rest of the pack is closer to 55k. However, it is critical to keep cost of living in mind. Louisville is one of the most affordable housing markets in the nation (outside of the rust belt and parts of the Deep South). I've lived here for the last seven years, and I would take $60k in Louisville over $110 in Washington, D.C. or NYC any day. Just my two cents.

bizjunkie4

Postby bizjunkie4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm

meh3884 wrote:
bizjunkie4 wrote:I am a 2L here at Louisville. If any of you have specific questions about the school, the admissions process, or the community feel free to ask away. I also write a blog about the law school here. http://uofllawschool.blogspot.com/

- Alex Davis

Last I checked, the February LSAT was closed for registration.

You are entirely correct. I wrote too soon. Sorry about that.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah, I have heard so many different things about starting salary that I pretty much just decided that I would figure it out when it became more relevant to me. I have a ballpark idea, and like you said, Louisville has a low cost of living, so it's not something I really worry about.

Care to share how you have enjoyed your first year thus far?

bizjunkie4

Postby bizjunkie4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Yeah, I have heard so many different things about starting salary that I pretty much just decided that I would figure it out when it became more relevant to me. I have a ballpark idea, and like you said, Louisville has a low cost of living, so it's not something I really worry about.

Care to share how you have enjoyed your first year thus far?

That's a good question, and hard to answer in short form. Check out my blog posts from last year for a detailed look at being a 1L at Louisville Law. http://uofllawschool.blogspot.com/

In general, it was a great experience. Professors are very generous with their time, and incredibly good teachers. The atmosphere of the school is friendly and not at as competitive as I thought it would be. That said, the pressure of 1L at any law school is rough, even if it's only internal. My first two grades on mid-term exams were both C Minus. I was prepared for a heart attack, but I ended up posting pretty good GPAs my first two semesters. As an older student (34) I think it was easier for me to deal with the setbacks and the stress. Being married and having kids also helped, strangely, because I think it gave me context and perspective. Still, in some ways, I feel like an entirely different person now compared to the summer of 2009. I'm more cautious, more thoughtful, definitely smarter, and hopefully more dedicated. If you have any specific questions or thoughts, feel free to PM me. Hope that helps.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Went under review today, so I hope I have an answer soon.

Anyone else have a decision yet?

Jdenniscpa

Postby Jdenniscpa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 pm

In today by email! This is most likely where I will be in the fall. I love Louisville. Such a great city.

Jdenniscpa

Postby Jdenniscpa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm

bizjunkie4 wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:

Figures lie and liars figure, but I would say the top employers are closer to 85k-95k, and the rest of the pack is closer to 55k. However, it is critical to keep cost of living in mind. Louisville is one of the most affordable housing markets in the nation (outside of the rust belt and parts of the Deep South). I've lived here for the last seven years, and I would take $60k in Louisville over $110 in Washington, D.C. or NYC any day. Just my two cents.

+1 Louisville is amazingly affordable. I worked at a big 4 CPA firm in Louisville for a few years and was always amazed at how much more $$ my NYC branch peers made and how much more quality of life I felt like I had making less in Louisville. I am not a Big City person though, so thats not to say they didn't see me as having less to do and fewer cultural opportunities. haha. Seriously though, I live in Nashville now and even Louisville compared to Nashville, I would say that cost of living/quality of life is better in Louisville.

ETA: Bizjunkie, we lived in the Highlands also (near Assumption & the Krispy Kreme) and are looking forward to moving back to the "old neighborhood" LOL

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Congrats! I just visited last week and remembered how much I liked the city. So much to do, yet it's not so big that it's imposing.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Straight up rejected via e-mail today. LSAT above their median and GPA solidly above their 25%. Quite perplexed that it didn't atleast get a waitlist. Maybe they are mind readers and knew there wasn't a big chance that I would attend?

Jdenniscpa

Postby Jdenniscpa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:23 pm

That's a bummer iceman. At least it wasn't your first choice!

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Iceman389 wrote:Straight up rejected via e-mail today. LSAT above their median and GPA solidly above their 25%. Quite perplexed that it didn't atleast get a waitlist. Maybe they are mind readers and knew there wasn't a big chance that I would attend?

My LSAT was way above their median and I too was dinged. Ridiculous. Just got into Loyola though so who cares. Chicago > Louisville. U of L just let in (per an earlier thread) someone with a 144. Their adcoms must have ESPN.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”