Louisville 2010 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jdenniscpa

Re: Louisville 2010 Applicants

Postby Jdenniscpa » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm

WVUguy11 wrote:I was around 25 percentile gpa and barley above lsat median and i got in, so you never know.

I agree. You never know. LSAT here was below the median. I don't think you are auto in or out based on your numbers. JMO

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Im guessing scholorship info comes in packet?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Ive heard that it comes with the admissions packet for some people and in a separate letter for others. Hopefully we have it by next week. I also saw that you can call the admissions office and ask if you were rewarded a scholarship, although they won't disclose the amount. Its worth a shot. I'd give a call to Angela Beverly and see.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Yeah, scratch that. Just got a call from admissions and they said it all has to come snail mail. Because of federal privacy acts they can't discuss it on the phone.

clhenry89

Postby clhenry89 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Jdenniscpa wrote:
WVUguy11 wrote:I was around 25 percentile gpa and barley above lsat median and i got in, so you never know.

I agree. You never know. LSAT here was below the median. I don't think you are auto in or out based on your numbers. JMO

Hmmm. I'm IS and louisville was my undergrad. Do you think that'll help?

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:55 pm

Im out of state, and I goto WVU, so I am not really sure.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:10 pm

clhenry89 wrote:
Jdenniscpa wrote:

Hmmm. I'm IS and louisville was my undergrad. Do you think that'll help?

Just sent you a PM. I do think it could help, especially if the faculty that you get to write your LOR's are well known.

directpaper

Postby directpaper » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:55 am

neidermyer, where did you complete your undergrad? and how long did you have to wait from the time your UofL file went under committee review to the time you heard back? UofL is my top school and now I am very nervous!

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 pm

I can tell you I was in review for about a week. I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by answering that part of your question.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:40 pm

directpaper wrote:neidermyer, where did you complete your undergrad? and how long did you have to wait from the time your UofL file went under committee review to the time you heard back? UofL is my top school and now I am very nervous!

I graduated from WKU. I'm a non traditional student. My file was sent on 1/9, complete on 1/11, under review on 1/26 and a decision on 2/3.

You can pm me or email me at Sigepneidermeyer@gmail.com.

directpaper

Postby directpaper » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 pm

thank you both so much! status checker says, "file complete and ready for review." is that what yours said before your decision was made? also, i was given an application fee waiver and under my requirements list there isnt a check by the application fee line...same thing for either of you? thank you again!

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Yeah, that's what mine said before it went to "in Review". You'll probably have a decision in 2-3 weeks I'd guess.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 am

My timeline was about exactly the same as Neidermeyer, so you should expect the same.

directpaper

Postby directpaper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 am

What about the fee waiver thing? I had a fee waiver, but my application checklist on status checker does not have a "check" by the application fee. My file still says "complete and ready for committee review," but do you think I should contact them to be certain?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:22 am

Nah, I wouldn't. They have everything the need for you, so I wouldn't bother them about that.

LouEVille

Postby LouEVille » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 am

Placed on hold last week with a 156/3.49. Sent in an LOCI the following day (hopefully I didn't look overzealous :D ) and I was also able to set up a meeting with Dean Hamilton later this week. I was told that a meeting with him could "help my case".

Does anyone have any experience with meeting with the Dean after being placed on hold? Should I be prepared for an interview or just more of a back and forth Q&A session? Will it realistically help my chances of admission? And what about attire? I'm wavering between wearing a suit and or dressing in business casual. Thanks in advance!

ashrh01

Postby ashrh01 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:57 pm

LouEVille wrote:Placed on hold last week with a 156/3.49. Sent in an LOCI the following day (hopefully I didn't look overzealous :D ) and I was also able to set up a meeting with Dean Hamilton later this week. I was told that a meeting with him could "help my case".

Does anyone have any experience with meeting with the Dean after being placed on hold? Should I be prepared for an interview or just more of a back and forth Q&A session? Will it realistically help my chances of admission? And what about attire? I'm wavering between wearing a suit and or dressing in business casual. Thanks in advance!

I have never met with a dean after being placed on hold but I have met with Dean Hamilton before a couple of times. It may help for him to see that you're interested and to see what kind of person you are. I found him to be really helpful in the past and even rather laid-back (though not sure if that's how he would be in this type of meeting). I think UL is trying to get people with high scores to raise their medians and maybe make it back into tier 2. That being said, I still think they look at things other than your LSAT & GPA because they do want to see what you can bring to the table. They probably have other applicants with similar numbers to you so you have to show them what makes you stand out so they pick you over the other people. As for your attire, I always think you're more likely to be judged poorly for being underdressed than for being overdressed. I don't know if any of that helps but good luck!

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

LouEVille wrote:Placed on hold last week with a 156/3.49. Sent in an LOCI the following day (hopefully I didn't look overzealous :D ) and I was also able to set up a meeting with Dean Hamilton later this week. I was told that a meeting with him could "help my case".

LouEVille

Postby LouEVille » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 pm

ashrh01 wrote:

I have never met with a dean after being placed on hold but I have met with Dean Hamilton before a couple of times. It may help for him to see that you're interested and to see what kind of person you are. I found him to be really helpful in the past and even rather laid-back (though not sure if that's how he would be in this type of meeting). I think UL is trying to get people with high scores to raise their medians and maybe make it back into tier 2. That being said, I still think they look at things other than your LSAT & GPA because they do want to see what you can bring to the table. They probably have other applicants with similar numbers to you so you have to show them what makes you stand out so they pick you over the other people. As for your attire, I always think you're more likely to be judged poorly for being underdressed than for being overdressed. I don't know if any of that helps but good luck!

I actually had the chance to speak with him briefly on the phone, and he definitely seemed like a pretty relatable fellow. It's nice to hear you had a good experience too though.

I knew all along that my numbers were fairly borderline, although my UGPA did show a fairly upward trend after a horrendous showing my freshman year, and my major is no fluff either (at least IMO). I'm just hoping some of the extra experiences on my resume hold some weight.

If nothing else, it will be a good opportunity to let them know I'm definitely still very interested, as well as a chance to get some more in depth information about Brandeis and the admission process.

And I'm leaning towards a suit. I'm only hesitant because I've shown up to interviews before way overdressed, which isn't fun, but in then end I suppose overdressing is preferable to underdressing.

Thanks for the kind words!

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah, I could see being worried about being overdressed. I can honestly see justifying a suit or just shirt and tie. Ultimately, go with what you feel comfortable in. I went in a nice button up shirt and black slacks, no tie.

It's definitely an opportunity to stand about above the other people placed on hold, that's for sure. Then you can write a very sincere and genuine LOCI.

So where else are you looking at law school?

LouEVille

Postby LouEVille » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Neidermeyer, unfortunately it looks like there was an error when you posted your initial reply...

But to answer your question I applied to UofL (on hold), UK (on hold), Cincy (awaiting decision), NKU (in), SLU (awaiting decision), IU-Indy (awaiting decision) and Loyola Chicago (waitlisted).

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Yeah, not sure what happened. I was substitute teaching today when I was playing around on the forums. I'll blame ther school computers. lol.

Basically I said that I had met with dean Hamilton and it was a really good experience. He was extremely helpful and professional about everything, and doesnt really try to BS ya. Since my numbers were above both medians I didnt talk to him about ny chances, but that would be something you should bring up. If U of L is your top choice, then I would make that clear to them. It really can make the difference in getting in. After my visit I wrote a sincere and genuine "Why Louisville" letter, and I think that's what helped to secure my spot.

So if not U of L, then what is your top choice?

Lil' Blizz

Postby Lil' Blizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Don't wear a suit. Go with some nice khakis/slacks, button up and/or sweater. Hamilton's a really cool guy, just relax and be yourself. Good luck.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Lil' Blizz wrote:

Don't wear a suit. Go with some nice khakis/slacks, button up and/or sweater. Hamilton's a really cool guy, just relax and be yourself. Good luck.

+1

heisenberg_girl

Postby heisenberg_girl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 pm

I got into UofL this week w/ 155 LSAT and 3.3 GPA. In-state for UG. Had a hand-written note on my acceptance letter about my thoughtful essay, inviting me to join the GLBT student group (but neither my personal essay nor my diversity essay were about being gay). Anyone else get a personal touch like that on the acceptance letter? I've been accepted elsewhere and no other schools have done that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”