Kentucky c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Justin.S
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Justin.S » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:14 pm

.
Last edited by Justin.S on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

directpaper
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby directpaper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 pm

i still havent heard anything and i am also on the march 7th hold. my status checker still just reads "file under review." i dont think this is a good thing.

amg131s
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby amg131s » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:10 pm

pseudonym1 wrote:
amg131s wrote:finally in...


via email or what? does your status checker say decision rendered?


sorry... yes, i received an email yesterday. status says "decision rendered" and my in mailings "decision letter mailed" is listed twice with yesterday's date.

gl to everyone else.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

I didn't get an email, so... f***.

directpaper
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby directpaper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

kinderby,

does status checker say decision rendered?

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Yup.

directpaper
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby directpaper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:43 pm

mine still says, "file under review." i have no idea what this means or why they havent made a decision.

LouEVille
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:48 am

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby LouEVille » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Accepted yesterday via email. A very pleasant surprise! Hoping to make it to Open House in a couple of weekends.

As a native and longtime Louisvillian, it may be time to get a little better acquainted with Lexington... :D

directpaper
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby directpaper » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Is there anyone who was placed on the March 7th hold whose status checker still reads, "file under review?" Mine has been this way since Monday and I even emailed Drusila Bakert, but I still havent heard anything. I wish they would either let me know or put me out of my misery already.

jtb00711
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby jtb00711 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm

LouEVille wrote:Accepted yesterday via email. A very pleasant surprise! Hoping to make it to Open House in a couple of weekends.

As a native and longtime Louisvillian, it may be time to get a little better acquainted with Lexington... :D


New Circle Road takes you everywhere. That's all you need to know about Lexington

SwampRat88
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby SwampRat88 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 pm

I want to work in Louisville, and have been accepted into Louisville (tuition 19k/year) and UK (tuition 16k/year). My SO is entering medical school in Louisville the same time, and that's where we both want to end up.

What will place me better for summer and long-term work in Louisville?

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Amir N » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:05 pm

SwampRat88 wrote:I want to work in Louisville, and have been accepted into Louisville (tuition 19k/year) and UK (tuition 16k/year). My SO is entering medical school in Louisville the same time, and that's where we both want to end up.

What will place me better for summer and long-term work in Louisville?


I am curious about this as well, being in a very similar situation. I'm from OOS, and really haven't reached any conclusions. The Louisville students say they're better positioned to work in Louisville being on the ground there, and UK grads say their higher ranking gives them better placement in the city.

So, a stalemate? I would suggest just going where the money is...

User avatar
Lil' Blizz
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Lil' Blizz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm

What will place me better for summer and long-term work in Louisville?

In a word: neither.

UK has the higher ranking and the name carries better outside of the state. In Lexington, a UofL grad doesn't stand much of a chance against an equally-footed UK grad (in terms of GPA, extracurriculars, etc.) without a connection, primarily because most Lexington attorneys went to UK. They prefer to hire from their own pool, rightfully so. Plus there's that whole UK/UL rivalry that's at play.

But the same is also true in Louisville, despite what UK students like to believe. Many, if not most partners from large/mid-sized/small firms in Louisville graduated from UofL law school. Brandeis is five minutes from downtown which does open many doors to network with attorneys. The slightly higher ranking really isn't significant in Louisville. But the schools with much higher rankings, such as Vandy, will have much greater pull than any Kentucky school.

I have noticed that throughout the state, legal jobs outside of the two major markets--Louisville and Lexington--are obtained largely through class rank, connection(s), and mostly which Kentucky law school the partner(s) attended. So it really just depends on where you want to work in Kentucky.

In any event, here are three reasons for going to Louisville.
I want to work in Louisville

My SO is entering medical school in Louisville

that's where we both want to end up.


How is this not an easy decision?

directpaper
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby directpaper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 pm

someone please respond to this! today my status checker updated and it reads, "decision rendered" and then under requirements it says "first seat deposit, second seat deposit, and transcript," but i still have no email? for those of you who were rejected (sorry if it is too soon to ask) did you guys have anything under your requirements on status checker?

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Amir N » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Anyone have any good recommendations for living? I am looking for a studio and a place to keep a car...

Mpeterson4
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Mpeterson4 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 am

Finding housing in Lexington is pretty easy as there are a lot of apartments within walking distance of campus. Check out rental websites and kykernal.com classifieds. I do recommend looking as soon as possible since a lot of good housing tends to go pretty quickly well before the start of the school year. I do not have any specific suggestions for studios as I do not know anyone currently in one.

On another note- withdrew yesterday freeing up a spot and hopefully an in-state equalizer scholarship as well

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby hope11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 pm

hey guys what's the range of rent in KY? Any quiet places you would recommend visiting? I've never been to Lexington, would you recommend living near campus (our college) or away from it? and lastly, how are the study areas? How hot/cold does Lexington get so I know what to buy...I'm coming from Florida (UF) lol no longer a Gator so GOOOOOOOOOOO Wildcats!

Mpeterson4
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Mpeterson4 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:50 pm

hope11 wrote:hey guys what's the range of rent in KY? Any quiet places you would recommend visiting? I've never been to Lexington, would you recommend living near campus (our college) or away from it? and lastly, how are the study areas? How hot/cold does Lexington get so I know what to buy...I'm coming from Florida (UF) lol no longer a Gator so GOOOOOOOOOOO Wildcats!


Rent in Lexington can range from pretty widely, obviously depending on what you are looking for (1 br, 2 br, etc.) and distance from campus. I live "away" from campus compared to most people, but that only means about 5 miles out. I like living out there because I avoid a lot of the loud scene and such, but mainly because rent tends to be cheaper. Traffic in Lexington generally isn't bad unless you try to drive in/out the major arteries (Nicholasville, Harodsburg roads), but most other roads are great. I make is to campus in about 10-15 minutes.

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby hope11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:
hope11 wrote:hey guys what's the range of rent in KY? Any quiet places you would recommend visiting? I've never been to Lexington, would you recommend living near campus (our college) or away from it? and lastly, how are the study areas? How hot/cold does Lexington get so I know what to buy...I'm coming from Florida (UF) lol no longer a Gator so GOOOOOOOOOOO Wildcats!


Rent in Lexington can range from pretty widely, obviously depending on what you are looking for (1 br, 2 br, etc.) and distance from campus. I live "away" from campus compared to most people, but that only means about 5 miles out. I like living out there because I avoid a lot of the loud scene and such, but mainly because rent tends to be cheaper. Traffic in Lexington generally isn't bad unless you try to drive in/out the major arteries (Nicholasville, Harodsburg roads), but most other roads are great. I make is to campus in about 10-15 minutes.


It would be great if I could live with another law student/grad student otherwise a 1br seems ideal. I do have a car but of course, I would have to get a decal to park on campus which will cost me extra money. No idea as to where exactly bus routes lead (to/from law school) so I would have to take that into account as well.

p.s: cheap is good but quiet is best.

Mpeterson4
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Mpeterson4 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:37 pm

hope11 wrote:It would be great if I could live with another law student/grad student otherwise a 1br seems ideal. I do have a car but of course, I would have to get a decal to park on campus which will cost me extra money. No idea as to where exactly bus routes lead (to/from law school) so I would have to take that into account as well.

p.s: cheap is good but quiet is best.


Parking permits are about $250 for the year and you can get one for a garage one block from the law school if you did decide to drive. I have not used the Lexington bus system, only the buses which run strictly on campus, but there is a bus stop directly across the street from the law building. If quite is your main concern you can find plenty of places within walking distance that are good. I would only suggest avoiding Newtown Apartments and the large complexes on Red Mile road if you are really concerned with noise, but thats a personal opinion.

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby hope11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Mpeterson4 wrote:
hope11 wrote:It would be great if I could live with another law student/grad student otherwise a 1br seems ideal. I do have a car but of course, I would have to get a decal to park on campus which will cost me extra money. No idea as to where exactly bus routes lead (to/from law school) so I would have to take that into account as well.

p.s: cheap is good but quiet is best.


Parking permits are about $250 for the year and you can get one for a garage one block from the law school if you did decide to drive. I have not used the Lexington bus system, only the buses which run strictly on campus, but there is a bus stop directly across the street from the law building. If quite is your main concern you can find plenty of places within walking distance that are good. I would only suggest avoiding Newtown Apartments and the large complexes on Red Mile road if you are really concerned with noise, but thats a personal opinion.


i guess ill just pay then

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby hope11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:03 pm

hows the gay scene there/ or the minority scene? what are people like? do they drive expensive cars, are they ultra-conservative...? stuff like that

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby hope11 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:26 pm

didn't anyone visit the school this weekend?

Kainmacbeth
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby Kainmacbeth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

hope11 wrote:didn't anyone visit the school this weekend?


I was up for ASW this weekend.

hope11
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Postby hope11 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:42 pm

what did u think of the school? ^ could you please expand




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”