Kentucky c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kainmacbeth

New

Re: Kentucky c/o 2014

Post by Kainmacbeth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:32 pm

hope11 wrote:what did u think of the school? ^ could you please expand
Feel free to PM me with any specifics. I'm just going to give you an idea of my observations in the few days I was there.

I went to UGA for undergrad, but the campus is a little more spread out than Athens is, or at least it seemed that way to me. It reminded a lot of University of Michigan's campus. It was realllly cold when I was there, with a few snow flakes on the drive up the night before the ASW. It was a pretty informal set-up for the gathering. In terms of the Law building, it was sort of middle of the road, facility wise, compared to the ones I have visited during my admissions process. It did not feel like a new building and a lot of the rooms/office, the courtroom, and the library were a bit dated style wise. Compared to some schools that have newly renovated libraries or brand new buildings it would feel a bit old used. I think of some of the older buildings in Athens, where the facilities were still usable and functioning, but not aesthetically pleasing. But that is just if you are someone who is looking for the latest and greatest in appearance.

In terms of the opportunities, the law firm I work at in Atlanta has a few UK grads, and they say that it is definitely the biggest law school in Kentucky, name wise and does fairly well across the Southeast (Depending on how well you do in your class, obviously, and your ability to network with alums).

As for the staff that was there, I was a little underwhelmed by their ability to speak publicly. However, they did have their act together information wise, and the packet they gave out was fairly informative in terms of your time you would spend at Kentucky and just for planning to go to law school. Their admissions director, Druscilla, was very nice and spoke one on one at the reception with a number of students, as well as during the break. I was really impressed by their "mock class". I've been to 5-6 schools and sat in on an active class at all of them, and, their prof. did a really good job at using her lecture/Socratic style to command a room of admitted students and their parents.

I went out the night before and the night after with a few friends from UK that I met while I was in undergrad at UGA. The downtown scene, architecturally, is set up a lot like a mini-big city. There is a mixture of "Athens-sized" (3-6) story buildings, a few larger corporate buildings, like the 5/3rd Bank headquarters, and restaurants, pubs, shops etc. In terms of population on the campus, it has that typical SEC mixture of Fraternity/Sorority types, hipsters, normal people. But, it is an SEC school. And, if you have ever been to UGA or Athens, you know that Frat/Sorority life is a big deal. I will have to ask my friends about their thoughts on the culture (Republican, liberal, conservative etc.) Although, it is Kentucky, they elected Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell. That is not to say I lean one way or another, but it still gives you an idea about the overall leanings of say their politics.

I had a good time at ASW. Ultimately, for me, I do not think I will attend UK. I have done the big SEC school thing once and I personally want more of an intimate experience in law school at a smaller school population wise. Like I said, I did not dislike or really love UK. I can see its pros and cons and am sure if what I am describing is up your alley, you'd love it. Feel free to PM me any specific questions.

directpaper

New

Post by directpaper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 am

So are you going to withdraw your application and release your scholarship offer?

Kainmacbeth

New

Post by Kainmacbeth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:35 am

directpaper wrote:So are you going to withdraw your application and release your scholarship offer?
I already did so this weekend.

Ademae

New

Post by Ademae » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey guys,

Just got accepted to UK law and strongly considering it. I am from Miami and went to University of Miami for undergrad, so as you can see I am used to a very metropolitan and culturally diverse city. If it's not too much to ask I would like to get some info about Lexington (the city vibe), nice apartment areas, and overall assessment of what to expect if possible.

Thank you so much for all your help! :)

hope11

New

Post by hope11 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Ademae wrote:Hey guys,

Just got accepted to UK law and strongly considering it. I am from Miami and went to University of Miami for undergrad, so as you can see I am used to a very metropolitan and culturally diverse city. If it's not too much to ask I would like to get some info about Lexington (the city vibe), nice apartment areas, and overall assessment of what to expect if possible.

I'm from Miami too :) I currently go to UF PM me so we can share some info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JPR0488

New

Post by JPR0488 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Ademae wrote:Hey guys,

Lexington is definitely nothing like Miami, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your preference. Personally I love Lexington, but I would not describe it as metropolitan or culturally diverse. It's a midsized city, so it kind of has a small town vibe but there's still plenty of things to do. Obviously because UK is such a large school there's tons of restaurants and bars around campus as well as good shopping (Fayette Mall, Hamburg, etc.) Downtown is small but really nice, especially since they cleaned it up a lot when we hosted the World Equestrian Games last fall. If you're a sports fan, Lexington is awesome. UK's fanbase is CRAZY especially when it comes to basketball, but football tailgates are a big deal too. SEC sporting events in general are just a lot of fun. The atmosphere in Lexington is amazing right now what with the Final 4 coming up this weekend.

As far as diversity goes, honestly, most people here are white and middle/middle-upper class. This applies to UK and Lexington in general. That's not to say there's no diversity whatsoever, but the majority of the people here fit that description (which might be a little bit of a culture shock at first coming from Miami). It's Kentucky, so people tend to be conservative, but not to an obnoxious degree...I'm fairly liberal and I really don't think it's a big deal (it's not like deep South Bible Belt extreme if that makes sense). There are some uppity, "Daddy's money" type kids here (at least at the undergrad, not sure if it's the same at the law school) but by and large most people are very down to earth and super friendly.

For housing I would probably venture out a little bit because most of the houses and apartment complexes within walking distance of campus are undergrad-dominated and can get VERY noisy/dirty Thursday-Sunday. A lot of grad students live in the Tates Creek area because there's lots of nice, reasonably priced apartments within a few miles of school. You'd need a car but you can get a parking permit. A lot of people do it and it's no big deal at all.

All in all, I love Lexington and UK. The town pretty much revolves around UK and everyone I know is really happy to be here. It's clean, safe, people are nice, mild weather, etc. Campus is pretty. If you need a big urban city, you might get bored here pretty quick, but other than that, it's great. Hope this helps!

Ademae

New

Post by Ademae » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 pm

JPR0488,

Thank you so much for such a detailed response!! Lexington sounds really lovely! one more question if you dont mind. How is the Jewish community in lexington if any? Unfortunately, I wont have time to visit before school starts, so I need to make sure I make an educated decision and get informed as much as I can.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions!! :mrgreen:

Ademae

New

Post by Ademae » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm

ohh and is the law school close from the UK med school?

Mpeterson4

New

Post by Mpeterson4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Ademae wrote:ohh and is the law school close from the UK med school?
Yes, they are both on the main campus, they are a 5 minute walk from each other

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JPR0488

New

Post by JPR0488 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Ademae wrote:JPR0488,

Thank you so much for such a detailed response!! Lexington sounds really lovely! one more question if you dont mind. How is the Jewish community in lexington if any? Unfortunately, I wont have time to visit before school starts, so I need to make sure I make an educated decision and get informed as much as I can.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions!! :mrgreen:
Don't know much about that to be honest! One of my best friends is Jewish though and he has never had a problem getting out of class for certain religious holidays. I'm pretty sure there's a temple either on campus or right next to it.

hope11

New

Post by hope11 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:34 pm

did anyone else see this? please do tell me you're just as enraged as I am after watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhLapvLCWu0

Ademae

New

Post by Ademae » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:28 pm

I Cant freaking believe this! seriously! maybe Kentucky is not a good place to be for a hispanic Jewish girl! wow! getting really worried now! :-(

hope11 wrote:did anyone else see this? please do tell me you're just as enraged as I am after watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhLapvLCWu0

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Okay, that was not an individual at the law school--it happened over spring break, when the campus was empty. I have never seen anything race-related before or since. Don't think that's an indication of how Lexington is in general, or how the campus is. Whoever did that has been universally condemned and reviled.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hope11

New

Post by hope11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Well guys, looks like I'm going to be a wildcat after all sending my deposit first thing Monday morning :)

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:13 am

If any of you have questions about going to uk law I am answering questions in another thread. I am a current 2L at UK. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to anyone still waiting.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=108452

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:15 am

The seat deposit is on the 15th, right?

Ademae

New

Post by Ademae » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Its official! sent my deposit today!

Its going to be a big change from Sunny Miami!! :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

directpaper

New

Post by directpaper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:10 pm

have any of you been offered kleo? im one of the first round alternates so just seeing what my chance of getting the offer is.

atlsntellect

New

Post by atlsntellect » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Ademae wrote:Its official! sent my deposit today!

Its going to be a big change from Sunny Miami!! :|
Sent mine last Friday! Still doesn't feel entirely real though...

Deathcab

New

Post by Deathcab » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 pm

withdrew -- freed up $14k... hope it helps someone!

SwampRat88

Bronze

Post by SwampRat88 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Just thought I'd let interested parties know that about 60-70 percent of the 2011 graduating class is unemployed, and are actively seeking jobs as cashiers and substitute teachers.

Good luck to everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”