Syracuse 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Iceman389

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:57 pm

NicRen wrote:Began the process of trying to get them to raise their current scholarship offer of $0.

Doesn't look like they are going to budge.

When it's all said and done I'll come back and let you know how not to negotiate with them.

I am pretty sure this is the first round of acceptances that they sent out so they might want to see how much money opens up from withdrawls before they start budging on their scholarship stances. But I'm no expert...

nychill

Postby nychill » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 am

Just an fyi, the mean of all the students is 2.9-3.1. The average 1st year GPA, however, falls between a 2.3 and 2.7.

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Where did you find this information? Seems very low.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Thank you for your email and congratulations on your admission to Syracuse Law! The official College of Law student handbook is the best place to look to see the full academic rules and grading curve information. That handbook can be found on our website under the Academics link. I’ve copied the handbook link below and you can find grading curve information on page 28.

--LinkRemoved--

It may also help to know that a 2.80 GPA is typically around the middle to lower 50% of the class rank distribution. I’m glad to see that you are taking the financing of your law degree into such serious consideration and happy to hear that you will be attending the March 25th Visitor Program. Formal Visitor Program invitations will be mailed to you soon and you will see that a portion of the Visitor Program day will include a presentation by our Director of Financial Aid where some of your other financing questions will be answered

an email from an admissions and financial aide officer at syracuse law.

nychill

Postby nychill » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:33 pm

I go to SUCOL, that's how I got the information. Basically every class the mean is between a 2.9 and a 3.1 but the average GPA for first year students is 2.3-2.7. With the way the curve is the top 25-30% get in the A through B+ range and the rest get Bs through Fs. Thats why a 3.11 is usually good enough to get you on the deans list.

matye

Postby matye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:48 am

Can anyone who goes to SUCOL talk a bit about class sizes and the accessibility of professors?

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Application is in :)

NicRen

Postby NicRen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
NicRen wrote:Began the process of trying to get them to raise their current scholarship offer of $0.

Doesn't look like they are going to budge.

When it's all said and done I'll come back and let you know how not to negotiate with them.

I am pretty sure this is the first round of acceptances that they sent out so they might want to see how much money opens up from withdrawls before they start budging on their scholarship stances. But I'm no expert...

That could be it. I also didn't go about it very tactfully, as it would have taken a ton of money for me to consider Syracuse. I basically told them that if they didn't offer me 20k in scholarship money I'd withdraw. They told me they considered that my official request to withdraw. I guess they're not going to allow a splitter to muscle them out of some cash at this point. 8)

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Im going to wait to negotiate until march. i'm afraid that if i start it too soon, they wont budge( and think that i am not sincere about attending). I will have all of the material in by the financial aid deadline, so im hoping to get their preliminary financial aid package in mid march.. We will see

calililaw

Postby calililaw » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:53 pm

is anyone planning on working towards a joint degree? does the student have to pay double tuition for this? (i emailed the SOL but no response). is a joint degree (MS in education/disabilities) worth sticker for increased career opps? Any thoughts?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 pm

you apply for the joint degree during 1L.

calililaw

Postby calililaw » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:20 pm

oh yeah, i know that, but this joint degree is the only reason i am applying. however, if it is too much (with double tuition), it may not be worth even attending?
i know of some schools that have joint degree programs but have very few students who are able to continue on with both degrees (i.e. JD/PPA) for various reasons including lack of academic support or tuition.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:23 pm

I dont konw about cost. If you are only going to attend bc of this, there are a lot of other schools that offer joint degrees. ODnt let this be your big decision maker

minimalvanity

Postby minimalvanity » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Went complete on the 20th. Do they not have an online status checker?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm

no online status checker. Submit and forget.

minimalvanity

Postby minimalvanity » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Old school eh? Thanks. Let the waiting continue.

clovers

Postby clovers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:44 am

I decided to apply to SU kind of spur of the moment. I submitted earlier this week, and all my financial aid information has been received by them according to MySlice. Does anyone who applied remember approximately how long it took for the application to go complete?

I'm very interested in the dual degree offered with the Maxwell School, but I had previously not applied because of the incredibly high tuition SU has. It's my ideal course of action to get that dual degree, but I'm already in the hole because of undergrad and when I saw the cost of SU and actually calculated the debt it'd put me in, my eyeballs cartoonishly popped out of my head. After reading from you all that they seem to give some decent money to at least some applicants, I figured I'd apply for the heck of it and see if I get enough to justify going there. (And, by the way, congratulations to the great scholarships so many of you got!) I'm just curious as to how long I have to wait to see if I can get afford it or not so I can get closer to making a decision.

Thanks for your help!

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:46 am

clovers wrote:I decided to apply to SU kind of spur of the moment. I submitted earlier this week, and all my financial aid information has been received by them according to MySlice. Does anyone who applied remember approximately how long it took for the application to go complete?

I'm very interested in the dual degree offered with the Maxwell School, but I had previously not applied because of the incredibly high tuition SU has. It's my ideal course of action to get that dual degree, but I'm already in the hole because of undergrad and when I saw the cost of SU and actually calculated the debt it'd put me in, my eyeballs cartoonishly popped out of my head. After reading from you all that they seem to give some decent money to at least some applicants, I figured I'd apply for the heck of it and see if I get enough to justify going there. (And, by the way, congratulations to the great scholarships so many of you got!) I'm just curious as to how long I have to wait to see if I can get afford it or not so I can get closer to making a decision.

Thanks for your help!

only took a few days to go complete ~8, and i applied mid-nov

clovers

Postby clovers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 am

Thanks for your super fast reply, Stonewall! Knowing that it's pretty quick to go complete and that I'll probably be able to make a decision somewhat soon puts my mind at ease.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 am

it may take a while to get a decision. You are wise to get all of your financial aid materials in now, as they will start releasing that info in march. SU at sticker is definately not worth it. I applied to SU in Mid November, and didnt hear until Mid January. However, I dont know when they started making decisions, so I may have been in the first batch to go out. I'm still on the fence about SU. while I would love to go there, Its still very expensive, and I wouldnt mind a little more money, or lowered stipulations- and then I would be mailing them my seat deposit immediately. the majority of applicatns get some money from them ( not a ton, but something), and they are proud of that fact. SU is very expensive, even for undergrad, so at least they are consistent. It is a very respected school in western ny, but with the competition at UB ( where you can get state tuition as a 2L and 3L) im not sure its the best decision for some.

I would try to figure out what you would have to get in order to make financing SU work. That way once you get your financial aid package you can tell quickly if its worht it or not. IF you ahve been accepted at some other schools, then you need to weigh those options, and watch for those seat deposit deadlines. If you dont hear by then- go with your gut. best of luck

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:53 am

the tricky thing is that you dont get a status checker, so its hard to see where you are. You get an email from submiting the application and going complete. but thats it.

clovers

Postby clovers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks so much, northwood! I'm looking to stay in New York for sure, and I've pretty much applied everywhere in-state. I'm from Buffalo, so the familiarity and the low tuition is very tempting, but there is a lot about SU's program and the opportunities offered there that really appeals to me. In my ideal dream world, I'd get really good money from SU, go there, and be able to participate in the Law in London program in the summer, but that is wishful thinking!

And thanks for the heads up about no status checker. I guess it's good because I won't be obsessing over it too much, but I will definitely be making multiple trips to my mailbox daily once I get notice that I've gone complete!

Maybe you'll be able to squeeze out some more from them once they're further in the admission process and some people have rejected their seats. I'm not sure if they bend too much on their offers, but if it would seal the deal and get you to go to your top choice, hopefully that can happen!

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Received my acceptance today with 27k a year stipulated with 2.8. Hoping I get a,better offer somewhere else. Also dissapointed they sent me a large tshirt, its like a blanket.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:37 pm

the size they sent me is too small for me. ha!

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I am going to have to shrink the shit out of mine. I get large slim fit dress shirts, but large anything else doesn't fit.

On another note, does anyone know if negotiating money in a couple of months will be worth trying? Or is 27k a year as high as they go?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”