Syracuse 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby StillHerexxx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:23 pm

I have checked out some apartments online and they are cheap in Syracuse. You can get 1 bedroom/studios in the 350 to 500 range with everything included. Just have to make sure it is in an okay part of town. Some parts of Syracuse are really sketchy--see South Salina st.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Cool. Thanks for all the info guys. I got the packet and it mentioned dorms but I guess it was out of date. The dorms look shitty anyway.

I'm looking into renting a house, if anyone is inserted in rooming hollar at me.

verbalizing
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby verbalizing » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm probably going to be living in the University Village apartments on Colvin, I think rent is $890 or something like that, with utilities included and fully furnished. I guess it's expensive for Syracuse but it's cheaper than the apartment that I'm currently living in, and were the only ones I had the chance to tour and visit.

jiggatman21
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby jiggatman21 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

verbalizing wrote:I'm probably going to be living in the University Village apartments on Colvin, I think rent is $890 or something like that, with utilities included and fully furnished. I guess it's expensive for Syracuse but it's cheaper than the apartment that I'm currently living in, and were the only ones I had the chance to tour and visit.


I agree. I saw this apartment complex online and it easily looked like one of the nicer, more appealing apartment complexes. All the other ones I found online either didn't have a website/reviews or looked too sketchy to live in.

My research shows me that lots of students also choose to rent out houses too though. Not sure what I will be doing yet. Anybody else have suggestions for decent, affordable, safe housing?

At ASD I heard Westcott a lot...and south of Genessee as well.

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby StillHerexxx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:05 pm

A lot of the housing right around campus is pretty sketchy, but you can find solid areas along genessee and surrounding areas, just have to look around. Around University square there is some nice housing, but again, there is some real nasty housing. Syracuse is very hit or miss.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 am

I'll be going up there on the 28th and hopefully look into this. I will take some photos for you guys that have been for a campus visit.

TNFSkier16
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby TNFSkier16 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 am

Take a look at Clarendon Heights. Its right on the edge of the hood but the neighborhood itself is safe. Its all grad and law students. I actually have a deposit down there on a 1 Br already - $525/mo + utilities (water included). 5-10 min. drive to campus so you'll need a car.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:43 pm

TNFSkier16 wrote:Take a look at Clarendon Heights. Its right on the edge of the hood but the neighborhood itself is safe. Its all grad and law students. I actually have a deposit down there on a 1 Br already - $525/mo + utilities (water included). 5-10 min. drive to campus so you'll need a car.

Image

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:45 pm

I just set up my tour, I will be taking a campus tour, meeting with fin aid and someone from admissions to talk about the classes. Is there anything else I should do while I'm there?

verbalizing
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby verbalizing » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:28 pm

I was there for about 36 hours and in addition to visiting the law school itself for the ASD, I took a tour of the campus as a whole and the surrounding areas and toured what will hopefully be my apartment. Moving to Syracuse is going to be a big change for me after living in major cities (Boston and SF), so I wanted to get a feel of the city.

Oh and I went to the bars in Armory Square. I mean I think the only way I'll get through law school is through blowing off steam at the bar, so you know I had to do some research. I've learned that Syracuse bars are easy places to drink alone and socialize ha. Also compared to Boston, drinks are cheap!

jiggatman21
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby jiggatman21 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:27 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:I just set up my tour, I will be taking a campus tour, meeting with fin aid and someone from admissions to talk about the classes. Is there anything else I should do while I'm there?


Rather than just talking about the classes I'd suggest sitting in on one at random to see how it is. We sat in on one at ASD and the class demeanor is pretty laid back. Cold calling wasn't as bad as I thought, but having said that I'm sure the scheduled class visits are the most enjoyable ones since they are recruiting us and would want to leave a good impression. Just a suggestion.

Like verbalizing I also come from a sunny, large metropolitan city so I'm sure adjusting will be a bit difficult for me as well. I'm hoping I'll get through it by socializing and attending the basketball games. :P

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 am

jiggatman21 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:I just set up my tour, I will be taking a campus tour, meeting with fin aid and someone from admissions to talk about the classes. Is there anything else I should do while I'm there?


Rather than just talking about the classes I'd suggest sitting in on one at random to see how it is. We sat in on one at ASD and the class demeanor is pretty laid back. Cold calling wasn't as bad as I thought, but having said that I'm sure the scheduled class visits are the most enjoyable ones since they are recruiting us and would want to leave a good impression. Just a suggestion.

Like verbalizing I also come from a sunny, large metropolitan city so I'm sure adjusting will be a bit difficult for me as well. I'm hoping I'll get through it by socializing and attending the basketball games. :P

Thanks buddy. I can't sit in classes because Thursday is the last day but I have heard back from others that it's a little more laid back than other schools.

I am also coming for a warm state, Texas! Us warm weather folks can socialize together at the local drinking holes, I hear Syracuse has lots of them.

verbalizing
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby verbalizing » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:06 am

I've visited two other law schools that use the socratic method more than Syracuse, I asked around and the students said only a few professors do that, one uses ping pong balls in a case or something to that effect. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but the Property class I sat in on was enjoyable.

Also I do agree about drinking to stay warm! But coming from Boston and SF, I'm not really sure what warmth is. They have the Marshall street bars right by the school but do get packed with undergrads and then the bars in Armory Square. I only went to 3 while I was there, but they seemed fun.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:29 pm

ain't nothing wrong with ungrad chicas :idea:

verbalizing
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby verbalizing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 pm

putting my deposit down today! i toured my other option suffolk law and decided that syracuse is the place for me, even though it means leaving boston. barring a miracle acceptance from uc hastings, i'll be there this fall.

now to break the news to all my boston friends who were rooting for suffolk.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Hey Guys, hope some of you join the Facebook page so we can start to socialize.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 16061&ap=1

prelawtx
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby prelawtx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:56 pm

How does Syracuse notify students?
via snail mail?
i haven't heard anything from them in a while..
getting little antsy here..

Ohiowick
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby Ohiowick » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Just got back from Syracuse and was informed of my acceptance. Next round of acceptances head out wednesday. Looks like I'm heading to cuse

mediation_86
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby mediation_86 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:18 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
jiggatman21 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:I just set up my tour, I will be taking a campus tour, meeting with fin aid and someone from admissions to talk about the classes. Is there anything else I should do while I'm there?


Rather than just talking about the classes I'd suggest sitting in on one at random to see how it is. We sat in on one at ASD and the class demeanor is pretty laid back. Cold calling wasn't as bad as I thought, but having said that I'm sure the scheduled class visits are the most enjoyable ones since they are recruiting us and would want to leave a good impression. Just a suggestion.

Like verbalizing I also come from a sunny, large metropolitan city so I'm sure adjusting will be a bit difficult for me as well. I'm hoping I'll get through it by socializing and attending the basketball games. :P

Thanks buddy. I can't sit in classes because Thursday is the last day but I have heard back from others that it's a little more laid back than other schools.

I am also coming for a warm state, Texas! Us warm weather folks can socialize together at the local drinking holes, I hear Syracuse has lots of them.


If I would be going to Syracuse, I too would be coming from a warm state, CA. I am wondering though, would you guys choose Tier 4 schools (with half tuition scholly) in the region you want to work in or go to Syracuse and come back to try to find a job in CA.

I know Syracuse has a strong alumni network, but I am not sure a degree from there will work well in CA.

caleb1717
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:00 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby caleb1717 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:13 pm

to the extent helpful - when i visited the school for an ASD, someone inquired about the geographic breakdown of students and apparently California has the second largest contigent of students after New York. One of the 2Ls that we had lunch with landed an internship with the LA District Attorney's office for this summer.

verbalizing
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby verbalizing » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:59 pm

I chose Syracuse over 15k at New England School of Law and 14k at Pace. But New England is in Boston and at the bottom of the barrel of law schools, so regionally it wouldn't have been that great anyway. I also chose Syracuse over Suffolk, same tuition prices, but I loved Syracuse when I visited.

User avatar
coolgreen44
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby coolgreen44 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:39 pm

I got the acceptance package in the mail today. I disappointingly did not get any scholarship offer :( I got the intent to register form twice so maybe they want a 2000$ deposit for me to attend :wink:

Edit:

I have a question, for those of you who got scholarships did they show up on the MySlice financial aid offer page?

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon May 02, 2011 10:35 pm

Yes they should show up on your financial aid page, but the scholarship will come with your acceptance page.

trayball23
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby trayball23 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:02 am

anyone looking for a roomate? PM me

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sun May 08, 2011 12:15 am

Hey guys, I think that I'm gonna withdraw. I really kind of campus but am worried a little bit about job prospects and the rank. Can anyone alleviate these fears?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”